Do you want Nail and/or Kami to come back?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Do you want Nail and/or Kami to come back?

Post by Peach » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:55 pm

Vegeta mentioned last saga that he had the power to defuse Piccolo. It got me thinking.... Why not bring Nail and Kami back?

Piccolo is so strong now that the defusions may be negligible. And Toriyama doesn't need to worry about drawing additional characters.

It might be nice to see Kami back in the supporting cast. Or another badass character who knows how to fight.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Re: Do you want Nail and/or Kami to come back?

Post by super michael » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:33 pm

Kami and Piccolo were never supposed to be individuals in the first place, now that they have merged I don't see how Kami can exist. As for Nails he had no connection to Piccolo, so I can see him being able to exist by splitting.

It would be cool if Kami returns, then he can train other fighters and maybe even train Dende. Kami would be able to pass down his knowledge to Dende.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:05 pm

We don't know how defusion works for namekians, for all we know they both formed one being, we can't be certain losing Nail would mean just a 42,000 drop in his PL and not a considerable reduction in power.
But I would like to see him again, I'd like to see him interact with Kami Dende, he probably would remain close to him as a guardian, just like he was to Saichoro. Or maybe he'd go back to Namek, that I wouldn't like.

I seriously doubt the defusion would be negligible considering Kami and Jr. are the same being, or if that would make any sense.

I doubt Vegeta could defuse Kami from Jr, in that case then he could also separate Kakarotto from Son Goku.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:19 am

I don't think that Piccolo would want his strength to decrease exponentially like that.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:57 am

Splitting Nail off during the Moro arc would have been so cool! Like, Moori making that wish or whatever and Nail coming hack stronger than ever and fighting Moro and saving Namek would have been awesome and unexpected!
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kappa » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:24 pm

Nail is cool. I wouldn't mind seeing him again. I don't really care about Kami though.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:19 pm

It would be nice to see them again due to the nostalgia factor and their possible interactions with the rest of the cast, especially after everything that has happened since they merged with Piccolo

But honestly, other than that I don't see much use in having them around. Piccolo himself barely has screen time and he pretty much serves the role of exposition guy these days, retaining all the knowledge Kami had. It would also sound redundant to have Kami with Dende as the new god, especially since he had already fulfilled his role in Cell arc. The same goes for Nail who would probably return to Namek, disappearing almost completely from the series. This would only end up making Piccolo weaker and making him almost useless in the battles (where he occasionally gets some cool moments)

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:54 pm

No, let there be consequences and progress. Sometimes people you know just disappear with time and never come back into your life. That sort of nonchalant realism in the way Toriyama handled Goku's immediate circle of friends and acquaintances is part of the reason why Dragon Ball was so appealing. While not quite analogous to the supernatural and fantastical nature of Namekian fusion, I think it's a good response to people clamoring for the return of old characters, be them God or Nail, or someone like Lunch.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:31 pm

No. That's my short answer.
To be more specific, I feel like doing something like that would negate a large part of Piccolo's character growth. The fusion with Kami in particular is the completion of a whole character arc, and undoing that completion just for the sake of bringing yet another old character back for hollow fanservice would be unsatisfying at best. I'm a little more open to the idea for Nail, but I still think it shouldn't be done.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:34 pm

Nail wouldn't detract from Piccolo and I think would lend itself to his development by giving him potential new interactions and storylines. Nail asking Piccolo to join them on New Namek and Piccolo having to find a reason to either stay or go would be some nice drama that could get at his core.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:58 pm

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:34 pm Nail wouldn't detract from Piccolo and I think would lend itself to his development by giving him potential new interactions and storylines. Nail asking Piccolo to join them on New Namek and Piccolo having to find a reason to either stay or go would be some nice drama that could get at his core.
Can't that happen without Nail? Also, I feel like Piccolo's answer would be a pretty concrete "no"; he had the opportunity at the end of the Namek arc and refused. It could be interesting to revisit that choice now with an older, wiser and laid back Piccolo, but I don't think bringing in Nail would be necessary.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:05 am

Nail would be cool, but Kami and Piccolo merging completed his character arc full circle, hence bringing back Kami wouldn't make sense imo.

Piccolo barely gets any love as it is. What is he doing on Earth anyway? Chillin in the Lookout, babysitting Pan, such a boring life. He should go live on Namek and learn more about his heritage.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:19 am

Yuji wrote: ↑Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:58 pm
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:34 pm Nail wouldn't detract from Piccolo and I think would lend itself to his development by giving him potential new interactions and storylines. Nail asking Piccolo to join them on New Namek and Piccolo having to find a reason to either stay or go would be some nice drama that could get at his core.
Can't that happen without Nail? Also, I feel like Piccolo's answer would be a pretty concrete "no"; he had the opportunity at the end of the Namek arc and refused. It could be interesting to revisit that choice now with an older, wiser and laid back Piccolo, but I don't think bringing in Nail would be necessary.
I think Nail would provide a stronger case to Piccolo by knowing about his inner feelings. I think Piccolo might also have a different perspective after all these years. He certainly wouldn't have much to lose otherwise.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Jamtia

Post by Jamtia » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:02 am

Would be cool to see Nail return to New Namek. As far as Kami, great character, but I think Dende is doing a pretty good job as the guardian of Earth. Plus I don't know if I want to see Piccolo regress in power, even if that doesn't even matter anymore.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:06 pm

I'd be open to either if it was a flashback and we could have a good reason for it to involve them, but by the Artificial Humans arc there was no where else for their characters to go, especially Nail, who only had a small role to play anyway.

It's not like Kibito and Supreme Kai returning as separate beings because their fusion was an accident to begin with and having them remain as one was of no benefit to either character. By comparison, and as stated previously Piccolo merging with Kami was a crucial part of his character arc that shouldn't be undone.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:37 pm

I never really thought about it, but don't care either way. I don't mind things as they are now, but it would probably be better for Nail and the Namekians on New Namek to have him there as a protector. Having another strong ally in the universe could be really good for Goku's crew.

Kami on the other hand is all done. He's back in his original state and his job has been inherited by a worthy successor. I'm not sure there's much else he'd want to do. He could impart his knowledge but I think its been referenced that Piccolo already possesses that.

I don't think Piccolo would lose much power and if he did, he'd just train and grow it all much faster than before. Maybe he'd even train with Nail and they'd both get mega strong. Who knows how all that works?
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:46 pm

Nope, there are too many recurring older characters already, to the extend it feels forced and it limits new storytelling-chances to reintroduce even more of those. DB sometimes has an issue to 'leave some characters be'. It would be fun to give an older character a very minor role just for the sake of nostalgia, such as Launch for instance, but with Nail and Kami, it had to be thoroughly explained, they'd really have to be 're-written' into the story. They are just not 'that intresting and important enough' in my opinion to justify that.

I'd prefer they do something with (potential) new characters, divine realm and universes introduced in the first part of Super instead (Pride Troopers, U6, gods, angel and demon realm, strong fighters of other universes that did not participate in TOP etc.). Because there seems to be more room to flesh things out aiming towards that direction, and it feels more like a natural story progression to do so.