Having Gas surpass Granolah will simply DEVALUE Granolah…

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

Having Gas surpass Granolah will simply DEVALUE Granolah…

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:42 am

Which is not a good thing…

The fact that Granolah wished to be the number 1 fighter in the whole universe is something extremely special, rare, and valuable! If that gets done away with with Gas surpassing him, it loses its meaning and value. And there’s just so much potential in Granolah’s power now through this wish, that they could experiment almost endlessly with Granolah’s abilities.! If Gas wishes for the same thing, than that all loses its meaning, value and importance!

Don’t you think that would become a problematic situation guys…?

There’s so much potential and possibilities to explore with Granolah’s newfound power.. It would literally be a SHAME to throw that away in hype for the next big bad..

Remember Tagoma and Ginyu-Tagoma back in the Anime???!

Yeah… That!

Although that was a situation of throwing potential away ON STEROIDS!

RashFaustinho

Re: Having Gas surpass Granolah will simply DEVALUE Granolah…

Post by RashFaustinho » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:48 am

My theory is that the Heeters will found a way to steal Granola's power. Making him useless for the rest of the saga.

As far as I saw, he's too powerful to remain on field helping the protagonists against Frieza, the Heeters or whatever. He (obviously) will never be the villain after these initial fights.
And the Heeters themeselves have no easy way to access this power, outside from making the same Dragon Wish, but I don't see a villain throwing away years of their life for power. They look more like people that would get an unfair advantage from this whole situation.

That's why I think his power will be stolen and given to Elec / Gas.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:36 am

Gas is being teased as the most promising member of the Heeters power-wise, as well as having a troubled past with Granolah's home planet that we don't know yet, so there's definitely something for him and the rest of the group (especially since they're on the Planet Cereal collecting Dragon Balls at the same time Elec and Gas are heading towards the main conflict).

But considering the Heeters' shock after learning that Granolah traded most of his lifespan for power, and especially that Elec has been favoring intel over military force since the beginning, I don't think they'll make the same wish as Granolah. But clearly they need something along these lines to face their main obstacle now (Granolah and the Saiyans), and with the possibility of Granolah eventually teaming up with Goku and Vegeta against Freeza and the Heeters, somehow it will have to do with power, but I I can't imagine how that will happen now.

Perhaps Moro's powers within 73 are used to amplify Gas, I don't know, but the possibility that he will end up being the strongest exists (even if not through the same means as Granolah)

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:48 am

That will happen. It seems pretty obvious to me that Granolah is just naive, he's playing into the plans of the Heeters and will become their pawn. They will outstrip him of all his powers, the OG-73 might have something to do with it. Regardless it is very clear that Granolah is not "final villain" material, simply because he's not really convinced by his quest of revenge. Vegeta will likely persuade him to abandon his foolish quest of vengeance, and that's where the Heeters will come in to steal his "main villain" status.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:16 pm

Eventually, he will be surpassed and devaluated, maybe Vegeta will be the one to do that.
But Gas or Freeza will have to surpass Granola in order to move the plot forward, otherwise we'll just have an antagonist without really much to go for besides killing Freeza, and one who also doesn't seem to have evil intentions. After killing Freeza, he probably go back to mind his own business, I doubt he'll try to rule the universe.

The particularity of Granola's power isn't really his raw strenght, but the fact that he can use many techniques that he doesn't even know about. Maybe he can absorb ki like Moro?

7-3's data might come into play, I doubt they'll use the DBs again to improve Gas... maybe the Heatas will fuse? Freeza is nowhere to be seen yet. There are many possibilities as of now.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:55 pm

Freeza doesn’t have to do anything. But I do expect Granolah’s power to be surpassed soon

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:25 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:42 am Which is not a good thing…

The fact that Granolah wished to be the number 1 fighter in the whole universe is something extremely special, rare, and valuable! If that gets done away with with Gas surpassing him, it loses its meaning and value. And there’s just so much potential in Granolah’s power now through this wish, that they could experiment almost endlessly with Granolah’s abilities.! If Gas wishes for the same thing, than that all loses its meaning, value and importance!

Don’t you think that would become a problematic situation guys…?

There’s so much potential and possibilities to explore with Granolah’s newfound power.. It would literally be a SHAME to throw that away in hype for the next big bad..

Remember Tagoma and Ginyu-Tagoma back in the Anime???!

Yeah… That!

Although that was a situation of throwing potential away ON STEROIDS!
Gas doesn't necessarily have to be stronger than Granolah to get the upper hand, we'll have to wait and see what happens. Remember Granolah wished to be the strongest, not the most intelligent and cunning.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:37 am

It would be great if it was even confirmed that Freeza was indeed training since Granolah would probably not have to try that hard to beat him into a pulp if Freeza hasn't.

I actually do like Gas becoming stronger because it would line up with what the Oracle Fish said in that the "strongest warrior in the universe will soon rise up". The fact is, there never is a "strongest warrior in the universe" in DB; at least, not for long. The balance of power is always shifting and someone new usually shows up and takes the mantle of being the strongest until they're not anymore. Granolah could have made a miscalculation in this manner and eventually be overtaken because his wish was made before anyone stronger had appeared. It would bring additional consequence to Granolah's wish and make him realize that there are no shortcuts in life and thus, allow him to have a comeback by teaming up with the Saiyans and possibly dying as a hero instead of a revenge-obsessed villain.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:47 pm

What's funny is that Granolah should've been surpassed as soon as he made his wish. The comparison that the Dragon has is to Goku (I assume) and with Goku being a god tier Saiyan who consistently gets stronger and stronger, Granolah's wish has a short shelf life.

Granolah's initial potential didn't even seem too impressive. I got no sense from him that he was any stronger than the Earthlings. It's his long lifespan that makes his wish plausible IMO.

So basically, I'm 100% counting on Granolah to be surpassed in this arc and for that to be the point of his story thread.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:04 pm

I don't think being surpassed necessarily means being devalued. Like every other arc of Dragon Ball, the arc will show us some sort of escalation beyond what we've already seen, so characters being left behind power-wise is only to be expected; it's just a matter of 'when'. The arc has already made quite a big deal out of asserting that Granolah's wish will bring out other strong people and cause turmoil, so in that sense Granolah's wish has already yielded about as much 'value' as can be expected, as a plot point, without either dragging out Freeza or else some as yet unrevealed stronger person - Gas is as likely a candidate as any to round out that plot element.

Moreover, Granolah didn't wish to be the strongest for its own sake, but with the specific aim of taking his long-awaited shot at revenge and killing Freeza. So it's not as though the content of the wish is the be-all, end-all of his potential contribution to the arc, even if his power gets surpassed or even diminished from where it is right now. It all depends on specifically how he gets used to further the story, going forward. He could still play a big and important role even if he gets surpassed, and I think seeing his own arc develop will be interesting in its own right.

Nistarkail
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nistarkail » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:37 am

BWri wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:47 pm
Granolah's initial potential didn't even seem too impressive. I got no sense from him that he was any stronger than the Earthlings. It's his long lifespan that makes his wish plausible IMO.
Honestly, the "crazy strong" said by Elec suggested that his strength most certainly was far above the average. However, Granolah was not able:

- To fly;
- Use an aura;
- Shot with such precision every member of Soshiru's gang;
- Scan energy sources;
- Go beyond finger blasts or fireweapons.

I really doubt that he can compete with guys like Dodoria or Zarbon which obliterated the average aliens in the universe with mouth blasts or little efforts.

When I saw guys like Nappa do massive damages to Earth's military forces that were in a big amount, I imagined Granolah have some issues in order to have the upper hand. And no, little Goku that defeated RR's defences were not so numbered compared to the first example.

Guys like Tien, Kurinin or Yamcha could only laugh and kick his ass whenever they want. Now it's the opposite, worst than doped Moro's gang who originally were strong as most of alien races in U7.

I'm sure that Monaito avoided to teach Namekian's techniques, because he wanted to be sure that Granolah could not became so confident in his abilities. But it's too late, so we will se what can happen next month.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:31 am

Maybe Gas wishing to be the strongest in the universe is how the monkey's paw happens.

Imagine the wish to be the strongest at the expense of lifespan is actually an active process. That if someone else gets stronger then more of your lifespan gets taken to compensate and you remain the strongest.

Gas makes his wish, then we just have a chapter of them both powering up and up and up. Goku and Vegeta shocked reactions. Then their confusion when both threats just die. end of arc.

evirus

Post by evirus » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:50 am

Losing builds character, Goku lost the first two tournaments he participated in

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:58 pm

Characters have no "value" beyond the role they play in the story. If Gas surpassing Granolah serves the plot in an interesting way, "value" is created, not lost.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:30 pm

I have consistently had the stance that Granolah is meant to be a Stand in Thematically For Who Vegeta used to be. An Arrogant foolish man who was given power and thinks they are on top because of it. He has a lot of similarities to Vegeta, specifically Saiyan Saga Vegeta.

If thats the role he plays in the story perhaps after the fight between Vegeta and Granolah in 75 he will assume a role similar to that of Namek Vegeta being the reluctant Ally to Goku and Vegeta in whatever The Heeters and Possibly Frieza are doing.

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:20 am

If the dragon balls are used, maybe Gas "swaps" places with Granolah. So Gas gets all the power, and Gas is a much more battle hardened person so he should fair better with the power, and Granolah gets his original lifespan back and his old power level.

I'm not sure how they would word the wish, but that way Gas becomes the legit new threat, and Granolah gets to live, but has to rely on the Saiyans now to avenge him.
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku