Had Toriyama Thought -Up The Concept of Hakaishin All The Way Back In 1995?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Had Toriyama Thought -Up The Concept of Hakaishin All The Way Back In 1995?

Post by theherodjl » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:44 am

Or at least a prototype of it?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: Had Toriyama Thought -Up The Concept of Hakaishin All The Way Back In 1995?

Post by Yuji » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:01 am

The term Hakaishin has been used pretty liberally throughout the series, but if you're referring to an established position in the lore then in all likelihood no.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:11 am

No. If you're referring to Omega Shenron calling himself a "God of Destruction" or something, GT was not written by Toriyama and thus is not canonically part of his story. Plus Omega Shenron is fodder to an actual God of Destruction anyway.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:24 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:11 am No. If you're referring to Omega Shenron calling himself a "God of Destruction" or something, GT was not written by Toriyama and thus is not canonically part of his story. Plus Omega Shenron is fodder to an actual God of Destruction anyway.
I think Cell and Gotenks have also been referred to by the same title.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:28 am

Yuji wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:24 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:11 am No. If you're referring to Omega Shenron calling himself a "God of Destruction" or something, GT was not written by Toriyama and thus is not canonically part of his story. Plus Omega Shenron is fodder to an actual God of Destruction anyway.
Gotenks? Whoever referred to him as "God of Destruction" is talking out their ass, he's literally a Zoomer :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:20 am

If we’re counting anime I’m pretty sure Telluce was as well? At least in song

https://youtu.be/NtBcsDf74L8

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:11 pm

I recall in an interview that Toriyama said the concept was in Toei's original draft of BoG. They came up with the God of Destruction role for the antagonist and SSJG then Toriyama revised them to fit his style more. I think the term was used before in the anime but more of a general description that they're evil and dangerous and not a specific role.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:04 pm

Skar wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:11 pm I recall in an interview that Toriyama said the concept was in Toei's original draft of BoG. They came up with the God of Destruction role for the antagonist and SSJG then Toriyama revised them to fit his style more. I think the term was used before in the anime but more of a general description that they're evil and dangerous and not a specific role.
I just re-read Toriyama's BOG interview and damn, you're right! I had forgotten that Toei came up with the actual concept first. :shh:
I at least hope that Toriyama had the concept of the guy that sealed Rou Kaioshin away being a central character/villain who would appear later. Otherwise, it would seem like even that was such a minor detail that Toriyama didn't even care enough about to follow up on.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:22 pm

theherodjl wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:04 pmI at least hope that Toriyama had the concept of the guy that sealed Rou Kaioshin away being a central character/villain who would appear later. Otherwise, it would seem like even that was such a minor detail that Toriyama didn't even care enough about to follow up on.
It's possible but the manga was completed back then and Toriyama didn't seem to have the intention of writing more. After coming up with Beerus, he probably thought it would be funny to make him responsible for a few unrelated past events and the guy who sealed Old Kai was one of them. It kinda raises the question of how Beerus sealed him. Is that a special GoD ability? In the new timeline that Trunks and Mai went to, I'm pretty sure Whis was the one who sealed that universe's Zamasu.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:42 am

not likely. Toriyama has pretty much made it known that he makes a lot of this stuff up as he goes along.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:12 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:28 am
Gotenks? Whoever referred to him as "God of Destruction" is talking out their ass, he's literally a Zoomer :lol:
I don't remember him being called that, but Gotenks was very OP in Z and could have easily defeated Buu if he didn't play around so much

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:24 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:12 pm

I don't remember him being called that, but Gotenks was very OP in Z and could have easily defeated Buu if he didn't play around so much
Okay but calling him a "God" seems excessive, he's literally a 7 years old.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:08 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:24 am
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:12 pm

Okay but calling him a "God" seems excessive, he's literally a 7 years old.
Half of him is 8-years old, so more like….7 1/2?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:30 pm

Who called him a hakaishin? aside from the narrator being overly hyped, I can only think of Gotenks referring to himself like that... :think:

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:26 am

The term has been used several times in the franchise, I remember off the top of my head that Broly has capsules (equipment) referring to him as a God of Destruction in Budokai 3, and Luud from GT was referred to as a God of Destruction.

Looking it up, the anime episode titles refer to Cell as a God of Destruction, and Gotenks calls himself a God of Destruction in Supersonic Warriors 2. Apparently Pure Boo was also called a God of Destruction but a source isn't listed for that.

I've seen the term 'Hakaishin' used in other Japanese media, so it seems to be a concept there predating Dragon Ball. I have never been able to find if there's anything more to it than a cool, intimidating name to apply to things.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:43 am

Skar wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:22 pmIt's possible but the manga was completed back then and Toriyama didn't seem to have the intention of writing more. After coming up with Beerus, he probably thought it would be funny to make him responsible for a few unrelated past events and the guy who sealed Old Kai was one of them. It kinda raises the question of how Beerus sealed him. Is that a special GoD ability? In the new timeline that Trunks and Mai went to, I'm pretty sure Whis was the one who sealed that universe's Zamasu.
I don’t remember how it’s handled in the anime, but in the manga at least, the plan is to save the Kaioshin from dying against Dabra and Bobbidi, then have him request help from that timeline’s Beerus, who is said to have a better way of sealing a potentially immortal Zamasu than the Mafuba.

(Whis is the one who comments on something better than the Mafuba, but it’s just after Beerus tells them to not underestimate Gods of Destruction, so presumably the technique is his.)