What do you think of Gigant MnG Gokuu now?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What do you think of Gigant MnG Gokuu now?

Post by pepd » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:47 pm

Curious to know people's opinions.

For me, it felt out of nowhere and place, and it took me out the story to the real-life production aspects of it. It just feels so not-from-Toriyama. I've accepted it because it is what it is, so I'm no longer baffled at it, but still haven't come to like it.

What was your reaction then and what do you think of it now?

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: What do you think of Gigant MnG Gokuu now?

Post by theherodjl » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:37 pm

Goku can fight Godzilla now. :)
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:25 am

So Goku is now Ant-Man?
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:37 am

That I don't know who looks more stupid, Goku fighting in his own forehead or Moro looking like a naked crack addict.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:32 am

pepd wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:47 pm What was your reaction then and what do you think of it now?
First reaction: Obligatory WTFlmao
A bit later: I guess Toyotaro played Pokemon Sword/Shield to get the idea of Gigantamax Goku
Now: Can't wait to see how the Granolah arc finale will try topping this :lol:

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:48 am

I'm fine with it. It's a new skill.

Nothing different from IT or fusion, I wonder if people felt those were weird back then.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:12 am

theherodjl wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:37 pm Goku can fight Godzilla now. :)
He already did:
Kong v Godzilla = Goku v Frieza

Goku using Gigantification still feels out of place to me, but at least it has buildup from prior chapters. I think it would make more sense for Vegeta to be the one to use this technique, all things considered, but even he likely didn't have time to learn it. If the anime adapts the technique, I hope they can make it feel less random.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:53 am

Have no problem with it, but think it might have been begging for a little “small/big” metaphorical build-up to real feel like a spectacular capstone instead of just a neat move in the finale.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:25 am

I thought it was cool. It makes sense as a means to counter a giant holding him in place. Way less absurd than sentient ghost ki!

It would be pretty funny if Granolah pulls out a technique like this against Vegeta

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:35 pm

I like when he fights the planet.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:01 pm

When I first saw it, I was surprised (I don't think anyone saw it coming), but my feeling was pretty much like BWri's in thinking that, given all the Spirit Control material in mid-arc (including a reference to Gigantification), this would've sat better with Vegeta. I was fine with it, but that was about all.

Since then, I've come to view this scene at least partially through the lens of the Goku-Piccolo Daimao confrontation, like so:

Looking at it this way, the giant manifestation of Goku is a latter-day version of the appearance of the image of the Oozaru at the point of the decisive strike, giving Goku the opening he needs to land the final blow - only in the Moro arc, this is Divine Power, which is a special feature of the arc, as opposed to simply Goku's latent power, so Giant Monkey gets replaced with Giant Divine-Power Goku. Given the whole sequence is sparked off with Goku using the same line in both, it seems to me that this is what is the general point of the manifestation here.

Thinking of it this way, I enjoy it a good deal more than I did originally, as it plays on Moro's character inspiration from the Daimao to construct an ending to the battle that (in my opinion) deliberately trades on both this and the end of Dragon Ball (Vegeta's Spirit Fission intervention using Uub's Divine Power trades a lot, visually and conceptually, on the place of Genki Dama in the final battle against Buu), fusing features of the two into the climax of the arc. I think it works very well, naturally placing the demonic main villain in direct opposition to Goku and his story specifically (but then, I think there are several manoeuvres made to this end in the last Act of the arc generally).

I think the whole thing's clever, and I like it a lot.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:03 pm

I didn't have a problem with it and thought it was pretty cool. I heard it might've been inspired by the Susanoo from Naruto. I haven't watched Naruto so I had to look it up and it does look similar. When I first saw it, I assumed it was based on other ki construct techniques like the Dragon Fist and Ghost Kamikaze and not something that difficult for Goku to do.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:37 pm

I think I like it less now than I did before. Back then I thought of it in terms of the arc itself (which I dislike), like "how much dumber can this arc get?". Now I dislike it because it makes UI stupid. It went from automatic movement to hardening the body, telekinesis, giant ki constructs.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:54 pm

I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. Some things just doesn't "feel right" in Dragon Ball. Just like Zamasu's hologram bird. Something feels off about them, like they belong somewhere else.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:30 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:01 pm
The second and third pictures were familiar, but hadn't noticed common line, thanks. It doesn't really change much my general feeling of it, but I can appreciate it when thinking about it.
Last edited by pepd on Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:43 am

Jack Bz wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:25 am I thought it was cool. It makes sense as a means to counter a giant holding him in place. Way less absurd than sentient ghost ki!

It would be pretty funny if Granolah pulls out a technique like this against Vegeta
True, but also being absurd was kinda the point of the Kamikaze Ghosts. It does set the precedent tho, that it what made me accept after processing it.