Do you think Toriyama would ever be motivated to storyboard a movie?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Do you think Toriyama would ever be motivated to storyboard a movie?

Post by batistabus » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:26 am

Toriyama is not an animator, and we have no reason to believe he has ever storyboarded animation for the DBS movies. Still, if he were to feel a spark and submit storyboards to the animators, I don't think Toei/Shueisha/Dragon Ball Room would refuse them. If anything, they'd see it as a blessing and use the opportunity to promote Toriyama's heavily involvement (which is something they've highlighted since Battle of Gods).

Let me know what you think, but I think it's a matter of Toriyama's enthusiasm. Based on interviews, I get the sense that he's fairly content with how things are running recently. I find it encouraging that his contributions feel inspired, and I think Super as a multimedia product (films, manga, anime, spin-offs, video games) is solid overall.

On the other hand, Toriyama isn't afraid to comment on things he's discontent with (DB Evolution, "the quality of the new TV anime"). When he rewrote all of Battle of Gods, he was right to do it for quality and artistic reasons, but that was a huge slap in the face to the anime production. He'd be stepping way out of his lane by drawing animation storyboards, but if he found the need, could you imagine him going there? Is he that bold? Is he too lazy? Maybe not the whole movie, but maybe a scene or two? Do you think (or know) if he actually has done this in a few instances already?

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you think Toriyama would ever be motivated to storyboard a movie?

Post by pepd » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:54 am

I could see him doing some corrections like with the manga, but I doubt he would be more willing to make storyboards for movies than sketching manga.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:14 am

No, he's too lazy (and probably burned out from drawing, that's why he only makes character designs).
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:22 am

No, he'd have to learn way, way too much about how animation and directing works to be able to ever do so. Besides, Toei has plenty of people far better than him in those respects already who can storyboard.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf