"Anti-Ki", Should It Be Attempted?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

"Anti-Ki", Should It Be Attempted?

Post by theherodjl » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:58 am

Would the concept of a variant of Ki that cancels out the power & efficacy of traditional Ki/God Ki be implemented onto a future villain/opponent? Maybe some kind of monster/force that somehow has come back from being destroyed/erased?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Anti-Ki", Should It Be Attempted?

Post by Thani » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:54 am

theherodjl wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:58 am Would the concept of a variant of Ki that cancels out the power & efficacy of traditional Ki/God Ki be implemented onto a future villain/opponent? Maybe some kind of monster/force that somehow has come back from being destroyed/erased?
Maybe not an actual "anti-matter" ki, but the ability to block out your opponent from manifesting it would indeed be interesting. It would be extremely overpower, however.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:17 am

It could be interesting but conceptually UI already functions as a perfect counter to that kind of ability, no? UI relies not on destructive Ki output but mastery of one's own body and mind.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:48 am

theherodjl wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:58 am Would the concept of a variant of Ki that cancels out the power & efficacy of traditional Ki/God Ki be implemented onto a future villain/opponent? Maybe some kind of monster/force that somehow has come back from being destroyed/erased?
Yup, this is something I spoke about years back when we were first learning about god ki. I think it's a great way to introduce fighters who are weaker yet still dangerous. It could be a great power for the Earthlings as well. I'd put limits on it, but my idea a while back was that it disperses ki attacks and can easily pierce through ki so barriers, aura and beams wouldn't be so effective vs. null ki fighters.

**It actually looks like I thought of it prior to God ki (time really flies), but here's more of what I was thinking. I'll post the link but also add the quote here. http://belartscorner.blogspot.com/2015/ ... art-1.html

Spirit Ki (my fanboy concept):

"So that brings me to my first improvement for the show. The introduction of god ki. That's right, I thought of it waaaaay before it was revealed in BoG. Only I called it holy ki, or spirit ki. It's not the most original idea and I actually may have gotten the idea from Yu Yu Hakusho, the sacred ki. Anyways Tien really inspired me with this one, cuz how broken is the Kikoho? Answer: ridiculously broken. No matter where you put Tien's PL, there's no way he should have been able to hold down an enemy that was exponentially stronger than a Super Saiyan.

So spirit ki was born in my head and Tien had learned a way to use it to attack through normal ki. It allowed him to compete with the top level fighters again. Actually, I had made a villain come into play who has this spirit ki to wreck the strongest Z warriors because spirit ki could bypass normal ki, causing more damage than normal. In my concept, it didn't even take a lot of spirit ki to defeat an opponent of even SSJ3 Goku's level, just a concentrated dose of it. You can think of it like Pokemon, spirit ki is "super effective" against normal ki while normal ki is "not very effective" against spirit ki. So it was up to Tien to teach his fellow Z warriors the basics of spirit ki to defeat this new villain and now all the Z fighters are on equal footing again and we can introduce new concepts into the show to keep it fresh, like possibly infusing spirit ki with elements or something. This also fixes the inflated power level scaling since new villains can simply be really good at this spirit ki. Not all villains have to be gods now. I was even toying with the idea of spirit ki originating on earth as something that allowed humans to fight devil gods from the demon realm. Maybe Tien's alien ancestors came to earth to teach it. Who knows, but the idea can go anywhere. How did Tien learn the Kikiho anyway?
"
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:15 pm

Couldn't hakai energy be it?

Before Vegeta overpowered Toppo, the anime was going that way. There was no counter to it. Should be noted that Freeza and Goku sort of withstood a small amount of hakai energy, so maybe it wasn't Vegeta's "fault".

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:29 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:15 pm Couldn't hakai energy be it?

Before Vegeta overpowered Toppo, the anime was going that way. There was no counter to it. Should be noted that Freeza and Goku sort of withstood a small amount of hakai energy, so maybe it wasn't Vegeta's "fault".
I was thinking that too. But also, in the anime I remember when Vegeta first tried to sense Whis' ki, he said that he had some kind of 'null energy ki' or something like that which he couldn't sense. It could have just been that he couldn't sense god ki at that point, though.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:41 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:15 pm Couldn't hakai energy be it?

It's not an opposite or polar variant of Ki, just a potent energy or technique(manga) that eradicates an object from existence. We're talking something that specifically targets Ki & God Ki rather than being a general disappearing act of anything that is touched.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:54 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:29 pmI was thinking that too. But also, in the anime I remember when Vegeta first tried to sense Whis' ki, he said that he had some kind of 'null energy ki' or something like that which he couldn't sense. It could have just been that he couldn't sense god ki at that point, though.
It may be possible that the Angels don't have or use Ki/God Ki since they seem to be celestial-type beings with powers far beyond that of Ki-users. As far as we've seen, Angels simply choose to engage in acts that lowly organisms are required to do and might just imitate having Ki for appearance.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:43 pm

Anti-Ki? Sounds like negative energy to me.

This is Mr Negative, a Spider-Man villain who uses negative energy (and positive energy too, he just relies on negative more).

Introducing a reverse of the ki concept would be fascinating.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

The Accountant
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Accountant » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:45 am

Maybe a Ki manipulator; a villain who isn't inherently strong but can manipulate the Ki in opponents better than they can themselves. You could have some interesting things like Ki puppeteering, turning enemies Ki attacks against themselves, etc..

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:29 am

We've already had villians that can cancel or absorb ki, androids and Moro, and it looks like Vegeta is doing it in his Hakaishin form.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:13 pm

We know there are techniques that can extinguish ki. Granolla utilized a similar technique against Vegeta in the latest chapter, and Goku nullified Beerus' energy ball at the end of Battle of Gods.

If you're talking about some passive force that arbitrarily makes strong fighters weaker, that sounds like something from a video game that serves as an excuse for Kuririn to fight Beerus.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:47 pm

To answer such a question we must first ask ourselves what 'ki' is. Within the narrative the role of ki is to be borne of the body as a natural part of existence and then from there be trained and harnessed by martial artists who perform said training. An 'anti-ki' would be the opposite of this, which naturally means that it should be borne not of self-discipline but of...indulgence? But then that begins to beckons the question of "what is indulgence and how does it differ from the discipline of regular ki?" Furthermore, how do we highlight the differences between the two in the narrative? At what point is 'anti-ki' not simply a different flavor of 'ki', like 'genki' and 'yuuki' are?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:33 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:47 pm To answer such a question we must first ask ourselves what 'ki' is. Within the narrative the role of ki is to be borne of the body as a natural part of existence and then from there be trained and harnessed by martial artists who perform said training. An 'anti-ki' would be the opposite of this, which naturally means that it should be borne not of self-discipline but of...indulgence? But then that begins to beckons the question of "what is indulgence and how does it differ from the discipline of regular ki?" Furthermore, how do we highlight the differences between the two in the narrative? At what point is 'anti-ki' not simply a different flavor of 'ki', like 'genki' and 'yuuki' are?
Well ki is the force of life, present in all living beings. So its opposite would be the force of death... but we've already seen dead characters still having ki. So perhaps undeath? Imagine a necromancer bringing back previous villains as zombies with the power to nullify ki.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:48 am

Moro could absorb ki, so it wouldn’t feel too out of place to have someone who can nullify it.
It could be basically an ability like Moro’s without the stealing part, and uses by someone who has a wide range of techniques and is confident in his skill but lacks the power and therefore uses that technique to bring his opponents on his same level. I think someone like this would be a cool antagonist.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical