I hope the next movie is the end of the Super era

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

I hope the next movie is the end of the Super era

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:29 pm

I don’t know how likely that is, but I think the revival has gone on long enough. From the looks of the upcoming movie, it seems that they’ve officially stretched the 10 year time skip for all it’s worth, and I don’t see there being very many new directions they can go in.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: I hope the next movie is the end of the Super era

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:36 pm

It certainly seems so, with Pan being a little older, looking closer to her EoZ looks. It wouldn't make sense for the movie to take place right after the Granola arc ends, with 3 years left before the TB.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:51 pm

The revival can go on (as long as they start to come up with nice stories and set them after AGE 784), but I do agree Dragon Ball Super has gone on long enough. It's time for a new brand, i.e. a new "catchy" name.

How about Dragon Ball... GT? Or Dragon Ball... Online!? :)
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:52 pm

I'm... kinda with you on that one in a way. I don't want the entirety of "the Dragon Ball revival" to end with DBS:SH and EoZ, it'll just feel like going out with a whimper if it does, but I want DBS:SH to be the last piece of content placed before EoZ in the timeline. Ideally, I'd have the fact that Granolah has 3 years left to live come into play in his arc, giving us a timeskip of almost 3 years which puts us just a little bit before EoZ, and then DBS:SH comes after the Granolah arc concludes and is followed directly by EoZ. No more stories in this used up timeframe, please. Dragon Ball Super as a series can end there as well, with post-EoZ content getting a new name, but as mentioned I don't want it all to just stop at EoZ. Not yet.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:39 pm

Alruneia wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:52 pm I'm... kinda with you on that one in a way. I don't want the entirety of "the Dragon Ball revival" to end with DBS:SH and EoZ, it'll just feel like going out with a whimper if it does, but I want DBS:SH to be the last piece of content placed before EoZ in the timeline. Ideally, I'd have the fact that Granolah has 3 years left to live come into play in his arc, giving us a timeskip of almost 3 years which puts us just a little bit before EoZ, and then DBS:SH comes after the Granolah arc concludes and is followed directly by EoZ. No more stories in this used up timeframe, please. Dragon Ball Super as a series can end there as well, with post-EoZ content getting a new name, but as mentioned I don't want it all to just stop at EoZ. Not yet.
I'm reminded of Toriyama-san's instinctual talents. He knew exactly when to move on from an era. His time skips always refreshed the series in ways I never gave credit for before.

I don't mind current era, because there are so many more stories to tell but we're stuck with .01 percent of what we could have, Goku and Vegeta fight a strong guy and all the variations of that.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:12 pm

I don't really mind either way. It's not like the Production Committee are going to want the series to have much in the way of big status quo changes, anyway. It will be nice to have more female characters in the running but with how misogynistic the series is I doubt they'll get a lot of stories anyway.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:18 pm

This is a rather odd thread, you're posting as if "Super" only reflects the time period between DBZ and EOZ. If they make stories post-EOZ, they'll probably continue to use the "Super" name. I mean why wouldn't they? Why would we need a new subtitle?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:39 pm

precita wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:18 pm This is a rather odd thread, you're posting as if "Super" only reflects the time period between DBZ and EOZ. If they make stories post-EOZ, they'll probably continue to use the "Super" name. I mean why wouldn't they? Why would we need a new subtitle?
I’m not suggesting they use a new subtitle, I’m suggesting that they end it all in general.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:01 pm

BWri wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:39 pm I'm reminded of Toriyama-san's instinctual talents. He knew exactly when to move on from an era. His time skips always refreshed the series in ways I never gave credit for before.
Yeah, seriously. The passage of time is one of Dragon Ball's most overlooked and undervalued aspects. Not only was it a pretty unique choice at the time to make a long-running series like this with actual timeskips (if I recall correctly), the timeskips also help tie events together and make them feel more "real". Dragon Ball isn't just a series of fights taking place one after another like a kid smacking random action figures together, it's the characters' lives playing out on the page/screen. We get to see them grow up and develop, settle down and start families, grow old and retire. But it's hard to notice and appreciate it until you no longer have it.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:09 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:39 pm
precita wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:18 pm This is a rather odd thread, you're posting as if "Super" only reflects the time period between DBZ and EOZ. If they make stories post-EOZ, they'll probably continue to use the "Super" name. I mean why wouldn't they? Why would we need a new subtitle?
I’m not suggesting they use a new subtitle, I’m suggesting that they end it all in general.
They should at least make 1-2 arcs in the EOZ period before they call it quits. I've wanted to see that era explored for awhile.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:09 pm

Alruneia wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:01 pm
BWri wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:39 pm I'm reminded of Toriyama-san's instinctual talents. He knew exactly when to move on from an era. His time skips always refreshed the series in ways I never gave credit for before.
Yeah, seriously. The passage of time is one of Dragon Ball's most overlooked and undervalued aspects. Not only was it a pretty unique choice at the time to make a long-running series like this with actual timeskips (if I recall correctly), the timeskips also help tie events together and make them feel more "real". Dragon Ball isn't just a series of fights taking place one after another like a kid smacking random action figures together, it's the characters' lives playing out on the page/screen. We get to see them grow up and develop, settle down and start families, grow old and retire. But it's hard to notice and appreciate it until you no longer have it.
That was really JoJo Bizarre Adventure. First story arc killed the original main character and had a massive time skip to the next generation. Dragon Ball didn't have a massive progression of time until after Goku was 18 since 12 years Goku didn't look that different from 15 years Goku. Same with Krillin. And Goku was aged up because Toriyama said if he wanted Dragon Ball to evolved into a fighting serious, watermelon size Goku wasn't going to work.

And the original Dragon Ball really was 'taking place one after another like a kid smacking random action figures'. The massive time skips didn't happened until 1/3 through the original manga and the Saiyan and Frieza Saga happened without a short time of each other.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:08 am

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:39 pm I’m not suggesting they use a new subtitle, I’m suggesting that they end it all in general.
I've never seen such a hunger from a franchise's own fandom for it to end as Dragon Ball. Why not stop watching and let those of us who will continue to happily consume new content indefinitely have our fun? I stopped caring about Doctor Who about five years ago but I'm glad they're still making it for those that enjoy it. Such an odd mindset--I personally don't want to see anymore content, so no one else should get it, either. After the draught from 1998-2013 that genuinely felt like it would last forever, I am in no rush for the series to go dormant again.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:14 am

Thanos wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:08 am
WittyUsername wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:39 pm I’m not suggesting they use a new subtitle, I’m suggesting that they end it all in general.
I've never seen such a hunger from a franchise's own fandom for it to end as Dragon Ball. Why not stop watching and let those of us who will continue to happily consume new content indefinitely have our fun? I stopped caring about Doctor Who about five years ago but I'm glad they're still making it for those that enjoy it. Such an odd mindset--I personally don't want to see anymore content, so no one else should get it, either. After the draught from 1998-2013 that genuinely felt like it would last forever, I am in no rush for the series to go dormant again.

I take it you don't follow the Simpsons. People have been begging for that show to end for decades and get all mad that it's still going and pulling ratings. I remember when Disney bought Fox people were hoping Disney would finally kill the Simpsons because they seemed to assume that Disney hates money.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:46 am

HeroR wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:14 am

I take it you don't follow the Simpsons. People have been begging for that show to end for decades and get all mad that it's still going and pulling ratings. I remember when Disney bought Fox people were hoping Disney would finally kill the Simpsons because they seemed to assume that Disney hates money.
It's funny, I used to want it to end...then I realized they could just make it good. If they had any ambition it could be a Kyouto Animation-level production.

Alas, that'll never happen. 😆
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:51 am

There's something to be said for just moving on and letting go, though. All stories - and all things, really - end eventually. People who call for long running shows to end isn't automatically some selfish crusade against other people's enjoyment. They simply feel the show has no story left to tell and that further content has a greater chance of doing more harm to the material that they love than anything else (*cough* Minus *cough*). It's the same reason people would rather have their favorite athletes retire on a high note than become flabby 'n sick shells of themselves, desperately clinging to a level that just isn't there anymore. The guy that used to dunk on 7 footers is now getting his shot swatted into the stands. Who wants to see that?

Dragon Ball could've gone out like Michael Jordan in '98, but now it's Michael Jordan in Washington, occasionally having a big 50-point game bust mostly bricking 20-footers with no lift in its jumper.

(Of course, i also just wasted 6 months of my life writing a 40 chapter alternate universe DBZ fanfic, so, as always, I am full of shit)
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:23 am

To me, Dragon Ball already finished back in 1995 with Toriyama’s manga (before I was even born :lol: that’s a crazy thought). What we’re seeing now is just extra stuff.

I doubt the next movie will be the last we’ll see of Super. There are still more stories to be told with what they’ve established in these last few movies and arcs. I’m still holding my breath for some sort of Planet Sadala story, I want to see more of Broly, Cheelai and Lemo, I want to see stories involving characters from other universes like the Universe 6 characters and the Pride Troopers and I want the series to end with Goku having a rematch with Beerus.

As long as all these modern Dragon Ball stories are entertaining, that’s all I can really ask for. I’ve already gotten everything I’ve wanted from the original series, so the fact that it can come back with more quality stories like BoG, the Future Trunks arc and Broly makes me happy as a fan.

This movie could serve as the beginning of the final arcs set during the 10 year time-skip. Whether or not we’ll see new stories set after EoZ is the main question.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:44 am

The series can definitely keep going.... Goku could develop full angel powers and become immortal but not be allowed to interfere with mortal affairs like the other angels which will allow him to stick around as a mentor type character similar to Whis, but let the next generation take over. Vegeta takes Beerus' place as Hakaishin. Uub becomes the main hero character with Pan, Goten and Trunks as supporting characters. Everyone becomes members of a multiverse super hero association and get sent on various missions, and Goku helps recruit and train new heroes.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:32 am

Most people seem to feel like franchises shouldn't continue after their childhood/teenage years and it bothers them for some reason. You see it all the time with other franchises, Pokemon is probably the next biggest example after Simpsons or Star Wars. Many people thought Pokemon had to be a fad that died off somewhere in the early 2000's...instead it's still going strong 20+ years later. Even dumber were the people who thought Misty leaving would kill the Pokemon anime, instead it went on 20 years after her with 9 different female leads in her place.

Granted Dragon Ball had an ending once before, but as long as it gets another proper ending sometime in the future I'll be fine with it.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:33 am

It might end with this movie since we're getting closer to EoZ and that was the original goal. Like Jjgp1112 said, everything comes to an end eventually. I love Dragon Ball but I rather it ends on a high note than continue for too long and get canceled. Imagine your last memory of one of your favorite series is something that lost money then all you got was a rushed ending or they just drop it with no ending at all.

Luckily, that seems to be more common in Hollywood than in Japan since some of best selling manga series ended when their authors decided. I think the only ones that have continued after that point were more episodic stories or toy based franchises but not the type of series DB is.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:32 pm

I don’t know about concluding the revival, but I would be more than happy for a rebranding. The “Dragon Ball Super” name has been used long enough.
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:44 am The series can definitely keep going.... Goku could develop full angel powers and become immortal [...]
They better fucking play We were Angels when that happens!
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san