Are we running out of planets?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Are we running out of planets?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:41 pm

Shin said there were only 28 inhabited planets left in Universe 7 before the ToP.

Sticking to only planets that we know exist in the DBS anime/manga continuity:

1. Earth
2. New Namek
3. Cereal
4. Beerus' planet*
5. Zuno's planet*
6. Yakon's planet**
7. Freeza #17**
8. Freeza #79**
9. Freeza #448**
10. Jung
11. Yardrat
12. Octo
13. The planet Freeza conquered in the last episode of DBS
14. Vampa*
15. Potaufeu*
16. Saute**
17. Snack**
18. Tech-Tech**
19. Wagashi
20. Zoon
21. Planet attacked by 73
22. Planet attacked by Moro Corps
23. Other planet attacked by Moro Corps
24. Planet attacked by Freeza at the end of DBS: Broly

* Might not count due to its unusual status/properties
** May have been destroyed before the 28 planets statement was made

There are probably more that I'm missing. Anyway, the point is, if they keep introducing new inhabited planets in Universe 7, there is going to be a contradiction.

EDIT: Updated a bit.
Last edited by Polyphase Avatron on Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

precita
Banned

Re: Are we running out of planets?

Post by precita » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:02 pm

I guess. Remember though they only considered planets with beings that could fight, so planets that just have animal life or dinosaurs or whatever probably weren't counted.

It's times like this the old DBZ anime showed Freeza destroying random planets and Vegeta/Nappa blowing up planet Arlia actually worked toward canon instead of contradicting it.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:47 pm

Yes, and that is entirely Beerus' fault, who slept while Buu, Moro, and Frieza were rampaging across the universe. And by the way this continues even in Super, since the Broly movie ends with the Frieza army laying waste to yet another civilian world.

However, can't Shin simply create new worlds? That is after all what the Supreme Kais do. They are meant to create and nurture life, so I assume they're the ones who create the various worlds from nothingness and then populate them with mortal species. Zamasu also implied he had the powers to create a whole new cosmos/paradise. So maybe when Shin finally learns how to be a proper Supreme Kai, he can use his powers over Creation to start repopulating the universe.

Honestly the Grand Supreme Kai's death really messed the Universe 7, because they got stuck with Shin who is incompetent and naive. And once again, if Beerus was doing his job none of this would have happened.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:49 pm

Vampa is specifically stated to be a "planetoid" and probably doesn't count.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:32 pm

Vampa and maybe that planet with the GT image board aliens Moro’s goons attack are out based on the 28 figure being a count of planets with intelligent/humanoid life (Broly and Paragus were unknowns), but ... yeah, we are precariously close. Also, don’t think too hard about all the different species that appear between Freeza’s army, the Galactic Prison, and the Galactic Patrol. Must be some planets out there with some pretty wild variance in the types of humanoid species living on them.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:14 am

It's always possible that Shin could simply be wrong or is defining worlds by his own certain(possibly flawed) criteria. He self-admittedly hasn't been as great of a Kaioshin as he could have been or still could be, having had to take over the leading creation role while being inexperienced and ignorant of at least a few things regarding the universe. It honestly seemed like Kibito was the one more knowledgeable, sensible, and confident than Shin was when you compare the two in how they performed their duties...and he was just the assistant.
I wouldn't be surprised if Shin only knows of 28 worlds because that's all he can personally keep track of, not being able to memorize more due to mediocre management skills. I can see a future conversation between Shin & Rou Kaioshin going as follows.
Shin: "Huh??? Where did the world come from? It's not on mine or any of my fellow Kaioshin's lists nor have I ever detected it before! I don't understand..."
Rou Kaioshin: "You'd have found and charted it long ago if you paid more attention to your studies on worlds that can mask their presence from even our eyes. Sigh...this generation."
Shin: "Forgive me, elder." :(
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:32 am

When the DB saga brought in parallel universes, it meant new planets to explore were no longer so impressive.

I think it was a missed opportunity to have a wide universe 7.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:17 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:32 am When the DB saga brought in parallel universes, it meant new planets to explore were no longer so impressive.

I think it was a missed opportunity to have a wide universe 7.
I think in some ways, that's the fundamental issue with exploring the multiverse too much. At the end of the day, all the other universes have planets, stars and galaxies just like the universe we've been following this whole time. So in the Tournament of Power, each universe is boiled down to have one stereotypical trait (the love universe, the superhero universe, the robot universe), which kinda defeats the object of having a whole universe full of varied sentient life. In practice, the multiverse just represents a bigger universe and a larger ladder for Goku to climb. If there's one improvement I'd make to the ToP, it would be to make the other universes feel much bigger, stranger and more threatening. Have a universe with Kaiju, have one with formless Lovecraftian abominations, etc. While a few jobber universes are acceptable, I kinda wanted every team to have its own 'Jiren' who was stronger than Universe 7, with Jiren himself being the king among kings.

As for the whole 28 planets thing, has it ever been brought up since Shin mentioned it? I prefer to believe he was simply mistaken due to his inexperience, as he often is. This is the same guy who didn't know what Beerus and Zeno looked like.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:00 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:17 amAs for the whole 28 planets thing, has it ever been brought up since Shin mentioned it? I prefer to believe he was simply mistaken due to his inexperience, as he often is. This is the same guy who didn't know what Beerus and Zeno looked like.
I think it was Herms who first pointed this out. At the time, it just seemed like a hologram of a random part of the universe but coincidentally also had 28 planets. Sorbet believed Freeza could reclaim 70% of the universe so the rest could include Earth, New Namek, and ones they haven't scouted yet like Vampa.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:19 pm

I'd really like to know if that is supposed to be a map of the entire universe or just part of it like the 4 galaxies? DBS officially retconned U7 to have many galaxies according to Jaco and it would be silly if out of all the celestial bodies to exist in a much larger universe, only 28 planets are left inhabited by intelligent life altogether.
I really hope they ignore Shin's statement because it would be so much more fun to see Shin drop to his knees in further agony & humiliation at how incompetent he is.
Yeah, I'm sadistic. :twisted:

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:34 pm

theherodjl wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:19 pm I'd really like to know if that is supposed to be a map of the entire universe or just part of it like the 4 galaxies? DBS officially retconned U7 to have many galaxies according to Jaco and it would be silly if out of all the celestial bodies to exist in a much larger universe, only 28 planets are left inhabited by intelligent life altogether.
It might've been intended as a "subversion of expectations". DC, Marvel, SW, etc have vast universes with countless inhabited planets so it comes as a surprise that the DB universe only has a few dozen planets. Also, intergalactic empires usually have massive armies with millions of soldiers so most fans assumed that with Freeza's empire but we learned in Broly that the Saiyans made up about half his army. Since their overall population was a few thousand, his entire army might've be 10,000 at the time and barely as many members as a small country. He's been dead for around 15 years so it was even smaller by RoF.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:00 pm

Skar wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:34 pmIt might've been intended as a "subversion of expectations". DC, Marvel, SW, etc have vast universes with countless inhabited planets so it comes as a surprise that the DB universe only has a few dozen planets. Also, intergalactic empires usually have massive armies with millions of soldiers so most fans assumed that with Freeza's empire but we learned in Broly that the Saiyans made up about half his army. Since their overall population was a few thousand, his entire army might've be 10,000 at the time and barely as many members as a small country. He's been dead for around 15 years so it was even smaller by RoF.
Then that means that Beerus destroyed a noticeable portion of the universe's highly waning population of intelligent life after he woke up. It's no wonder that U7 was so low on the power scale compared to other universes if Beerus thinks that casually stepping on the eggs of his endangered universe is "doing his job" by any positive definition.
I guess they're subverting expectations by having Beerus be utterly irresponsible in maintaining equity in the cosmos.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:05 pm

The problem is that whenever we see generic Freeza soldiers, they all have different designs make them look like they're from different worlds. I doubt all these generic Freeza soldiers all originally came from the same planet, they look like they were gathered across planets for years from different alien origins.

Also who on earth were the Saiyans selling the planets they conquered to if there's less than 20 other planets who would even purchase them? Makes no sense.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:20 am

No.

I know the fanbase likes to read into the little lines of dialog like it's gospel, like the Star Trek or Star Wars fanbase do.

But the truth is? If Toriyama and the writers over in Japan want more planets, they'll write them in.

I expect them to totally forget about this line during projects in the future. Especially with so much of Dragon Ball taking place off world now.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:22 pm

Peach wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:20 am No.

I know the fanbase likes to read into the little lines of dialog like it's gospel, like the Star Trek or Star Wars fanbase do.

But the truth is? If Toriyama and the writers over in Japan want more planets, they'll write them in.

I expect them to totally forget about this line during projects in the future. Especially with so much of Dragon Ball taking place off world now.
To be fair, I think this is usually asked more as a joke. Obviously they’ll add more if needed and never be too strict with the “28 planets with humans” tidbit, but it’s a little amusing to take it seriously and see just how close to brushing up against that the series has already come.