Would Zamasu have been better if he had followers?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Would Zamasu have been better if he had followers?

Post by Peach » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:11 am

Zamasu by himself just feels so....hollow. Is anyone else bothered it's just two versions of the exact same character?

Imagine if Frieza was by himself.. It wouldn't have felt fun.

In Trigun, Knives also wanted to exterminate humanity. But he didn't do it alone. He radicalized followers to use and discard. The Gun Ho Guns served him, helped cause chaos, and were happy to die by his hand when the time came. I would have appreciated something like this from Zamasu. Or at least a cult or something that Mai and the rebels are dealing with.

If Zamasu ever came back, I can't imagine him not playing well with others.

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Would Zamasu have been better if he had followers?

Post by Lionel » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:54 am

Zamasu was a megalomaniacal exterminationist who felt that he alone was enough to safely govern the multiverse without any other deity or sentient life present. It's insane to believe but you have to wonder how far along he had actually thought of his agenda. Creation and destruction are necessary for the maintaining of balance on the cosmic scene. Certain individual planets are overseen by deities such as Kami. What about the souls in the afterlife? Does he administrate in Yemma's stead? How does he intend to halt the reincarnation process of corrupt souls? It's these types of micro-managerial questions that make me think Zamasu may not have been as far long in his scheming than wiping out all life and getting off to it.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:54 am

No, because that is the point.

A God doesn't need any followers or friends, Zamasu was a very prideful and ambitious individual and didn't think he needed anyone help. He'd probably laugh at the idea of needing followers. He thought the strength Goku's body gave him would be enough to be the strongest... and Gowasu indeed confirmed that when the two Zamases merged, Black was the strongest on the battlefield.

I think what is interesting here is that he still had one follower in a way, which was himself, and even that almost ended up backfiring in the manga. Since Goku almost convinced Future Zamasu to turn on his counterpart Black, who saw him as a mere puppet/pawn to exploit for his immortality.

Regardless the point of the arc is that Zamasu thinks only he can save the Cosmos and no one else can understand his vision. That's why Trunks in the final fight says something like "we mortals help each other and survive, alone we are weak but together we are strong, that's what we mortals are", as in he wants to tell Zamasu that ningens, unlike Gods, find strength in friendship and all that stuff.

Regardless think about it, even if they are just two versions of the same character they are still different in some ways. Black (i.e. Alternate Present Zamasu) was the one who actually orchestrated Project Zero Mortals, while the Future Zamasu was recruited so that he could serve as mere immortal canon fodder. That's an interesting dynamic honestly, it shows that Zamasu was not above manipulating even himself/his counterpart.

Just like Present and Future Trunks. You can tell P. Trunks was raised by Vegeta because he's a lot more prideful and bold, while F. Trunks is more spineless and even got schooled by his counterpart about not giving up. So just because they're counterparts of the same person doesn't mean they are identical individuals, at least personality-wise.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:21 am

I enjoyed the focus on Zamasu and Black. Their scenes were a lot of food for my fujoshi soul! Maybe a version where they have followers would be fun? Someone who is passionate about it should write it.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:29 am

Kefka from FFVI was an insane megalomaniac who wanted to destroy everything and everyone else and rule over the wreckage, but he somehow still had followers. So it wouldn't be out of the question.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:37 pm

Peach wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:11 am Zamasu by himself just feels so....hollow. Is anyone else bothered it's just two versions of the exact same character?

Imagine if Frieza was by himself.. It wouldn't have felt fun.

In Trigun, Knives also wanted to exterminate humanity. But he didn't do it alone. He radicalized followers to use and discard. The Gun Ho Guns served him, helped cause chaos, and were happy to die by his hand when the time came. I would have appreciated something like this from Zamasu. Or at least a cult or something that Mai and the rebels are dealing with.

If Zamasu ever came back, I can't imagine him not playing well with others.
Maybe Super Dragon Ball Heroes will eventually get a story similar to that one going one day. I think you're idea is pretty good, besides the more Zamasu content the better

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:08 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:54 am A God doesn't need any followers or friends
Actually, many people have argued the exact opposite. The idea that the greek gods ceased to "exist" when people stopped believing them is fairly common. Of course, in the DB world gods are just people that live in special places and have a few extra powers, and we have no reason to assume that they need followers since most mortals don't even know they exist.

I don't know if it would have made much sense for Zamasu to have followers, simply because his message itself was insane and incoherent. Why would people follow it? What does it offer?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:41 am

capsulecorp wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:08 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:54 am A God doesn't need any followers or friends
Actually, many people have argued the exact opposite. The idea that the greek gods ceased to "exist" when people stopped believing them is fairly common. Of course, in the DB world gods are just people that live in special places and have a few extra powers, and we have no reason to assume that they need followers since most mortals don't even know they exist.

I don't know if it would have made much sense for Zamasu to have followers, simply because his message itself was insane and incoherent. Why would people follow it? What does it offer?
Cool, but I have a question for you, is Dragon Ball Greek mythology? In Dragon Ball we see that even an incompetent God like Beerus remains at the top of his universe compared to mortals (see Granolah's wish), so... :think:

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:15 pm

A Cult of Zamasu would be a funny idea for the time period of Dragon Ball Online, but I'm not sure how anyone would hear the tale...

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:18 pm

Trunks sure will tell the tale in his timeline. If he turns into a Time Patrol eventually, then that's the way.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:24 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:18 pm Trunks sure will tell the tale in his timeline. If he turns into a Time Patrol eventually, then that's the way.
Ah! The Legend of Dragon Ball, Volume 2. :wink:

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:24 pm

I mean, if his followers were to be other Zamasues from across the timelines, then I'd be all up for it :D

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:34 pm

No, because the entire point of his character was that he was so egotistical and self-centered that he could only believe in himself. Which is why he teamed up with another version of himself and killed his fellow gods. He didn’t want to be worshipped. He wanted to be right.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:15 pm

Thani wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:24 pm I mean, if his followers were to be other Zamasues from across the timelines, then I'd be all up for it :D
Your post reminds me that there is still one Zamasu alive in the Time-Space continuum, and it's the Zamasu in Cell's original timeline, the one where he killed Future Trunks and stole his time machine.

Just saying :think:

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:59 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:15 pm
Thani wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:24 pm I mean, if his followers were to be other Zamasues from across the timelines, then I'd be all up for it :D
Your post reminds me that there is still one Zamasu alive in the Time-Space continuum, and it's the Zamasu in Cell's original timeline, the one where he killed Future Trunks and stole his time machine.

Maybe in that timeline, Gowasu wasn’t such an idiot.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:05 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:59 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:15 pm

Maybe in that timeline, Gowasu wasn’t such an idiot.
Sadly I'm afraid Gowasu being an idiot is part of the rules the original history decided, along with Goku dying of a heart virus :roll: