Did you like the bromance between Android 17 and Frieza?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Did you like the bromance between Android 17 and Frieza?

Post by Peach » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:48 am

They didn't have any beef with each other as they had no history. They worked well together. They had great chemistry interacting as characters and working together as fighters. I really liked it.

I get the feeling if the two ever met again, Frieza would invite 17 into the Frieza Force.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: Did you like the bromance between Android 17 and Frieza?

Post by Xeogran » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:24 pm

Yeah, it was actually fun and unexpected. Android 17 understands animals well and somehow that helped him resonate with Frieza of all things :lol:

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:31 pm

Yeah, this was one of the coolest and unexpected interactions of the bunch. There's something about their personalities and general tier of power that just made them click. Vegeta and Roshi was another surprisingly good combo.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:04 pm

I mean, I AM a fujoshi. How would I NOT want to see them make out?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:07 pm

Saying they had a bromance is a big stretch

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:19 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:07 pm Saying they had a bromance is a big stretch
The tension in how #17 teases Freeza is so good!! So strong!!! There's that sense that #17 is this cheeky precocious brat that normally you think an older, more #Established man like Freeza would never let himself look weak in front of BUT THEN HE DOES! Yes, Freeza's defenses are PIERCED by #17's cheeky advances! Freeza is taken aback, "Over my dead body" and all that but it's so, so clear that Freeza is afraid of #17's sharp words!

😌
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:42 pm

100%, it's one of my favourite aspects of the arc. As you say, they had no history or baggage but since they were both outsiders to the main squad, you get the sense that they had a mutual understanding to work towards the same goal. We could've seen them interact a little more I suppose, but I suppose that's part of the intrigue. They become close acquaintances for this one event, then may never see each other again. FighterZ gives them some fun interactions and Freeza even shows #17 some respect (he almost seems saddened if they're put up against each other).

Now I think of it, it was another example of #17 becoming more like Goku. #17 is totally willing to trust and confide in this awful person, not for any moral reasons, because he respected his strength. In the end, it encapsulates what the arc was all about: the things people are willing to set aside for the sake of survival.

The manga may be a bit lighter on the character interaction between them, but nonetheless, I love this artwork from Toyotaro:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:30 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:42 pm The manga may be a bit lighter on the character interaction between them
I-...is the manga lighter on it? Their scheme together is what wins Universe 7 the day there, but I couldn’t remember if they even talked to each other in the anime outside of the finale (where they don’t have a plan together; they’re just the last two standing for a bit).

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:32 am

17 doesn't show fear to anyone, and has a very nonchalant attitude about a lot of things, and Freeza respects that. During Freeza's whole life, outside of a small few people, folks have always been terrified of him, especially during the many years he ran the planet trade organization.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:43 am

Cipher wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:30 am
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:42 pm The manga may be a bit lighter on the character interaction between them
I-...is the manga lighter on it? Their scheme together is what wins Universe 7 the day there, but I couldn’t remember if they even talked to each other in the anime outside of the finale (where they don’t have a plan together; they’re just the last two standing for a bit).
Yes, I was going to mention that, but IIRC don't they mostly formulate their plan off-panel to preserve the surprise? Freeza and #17 interact quite a bit while taking on Toppo in the anime, at least.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:04 pm

I like it in the manga because it feels like there's meaning and substance from it; their dynamic is precisely what allows them to formulate a strategy and ultimately win the whole tournament. I find their interactions in the anime far less meaningful.

Character chemistry is fun in isolation, but always works better if it can serve the story and its themes. I don't think we necessarily have to see these two together again, but within the context of the arc, it's great stuff.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:46 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:43 am Yes, I was going to mention that, but IIRC don't they mostly formulate their plan off-panel to preserve the surprise? Freeza and #17 interact quite a bit while taking on Toppo in the anime, at least.
I guess it’s a quality-over-quantity thing (or impact over quantity thing, I suppose). Since their interactions in the manga have thematic and plot payoff, they stand out to me more than whatever incidental banter the anime worked in for them. Especially because it felt like everyone had a moment with everyone over the course of the extremely long and haphazardly structured anime version.

Freeza agreeing to a plan suggested by #17, despite it leaving #17 as the last man standing, feels a bit more substantial. While we don’t see the moment #17 pitches the plan (although we see the moment just beforehand), there also is some build-up, with #17 noticing that Freeza has been trying to run out the clock, and saving him from Jiren.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:04 am

It was good, but I preferred Freeza's interactions with Gohan. I liked that he was the only one who acknowledged his "team leader" position, even if it was mostly taking the piss. Their unspoken teamup to trick Frost and genuine camaraderie taking on Dyspo was also pretty cool.