Do you think Goku and Vegeta could've worked out as a couple in canon?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GalaxyBusterBuu
Not-So-Newbie

Do you think Goku and Vegeta could've worked out as a couple in canon?

Post by GalaxyBusterBuu » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:57 pm

Now hear me out everyone, while I don't personally care for Goku and Vegeta being together or for shipping in general, I do wonder if it could've happened in canon under the correct circumstances.

The main issue would be that Goku is already married by the time Vegeta shows up meaning that the boat has already sailed, not to mention he already had a son with Chi Chi. Ignoring the whole rivalry thing, Goku has very little romantic inclinations and Vegeta's a stubborn asshole whose too prideful to admit this shit. Hell, I'm pretty sure Vegeta's first reaction to feeling love for another person was 'HOLY SHIT MY SON IS DEAD AND I ACTUALLY CARE!' when Cell beamed Future Trunks. Man was pretty much a sociopath before then and he didn't give a damn about anyone before that. Legit, didn't give a damn about baby Trunks and Bulma when there in danger earlier so yeah...little chance for romantic feelings developing pre-Cell Saga.

Even if feelings were there, it's likely Vegeta would not see it as worth pursuing as Goku's already taken and he'd have to compete with Chi Chi and it's VERY unlikely Chi Chi is interested in polyamory. And well know Vegeta doesn't wanna do that shit. Waste of time and effort, not to mention why compete for someone whose already taken when the blue scientist woman whose feeding him food and giving him a place to stay is available? Not to mention the free sex.

The only way it would make sense is if Goku was single by the time Vegeta shows up so that the issue of him being married doesn't come up. Because even if you don't like Chi Chi(Idc for her), it'd make Goku look pretty terrible if he decided to just up and leave his wife for another guy who tried to kill him earlier without even getting a divorce first. It'd be easier to just have him not be married at that point.

Even then, Goku has shown little romantic interest in people and likely wouldn't know how to act on it if feelings did come up. It's fairly likely if Chi Chi didn't show up that tournament that Goku would've been a single pringle for the rest of his life, especially given Goku legit only went along with the marriage because 'a promise is a promise'.

If Chi Chi hadn't shown up or if Goku rejected her that night, he would've been single for the rest of all of his life since the man is a natural free-spirit who runs with the wind. Romance is legit the last thing on Goku's mind when it comes down to it.

Vegeta is stubborn and while he probably knows more about romance than Goku, it'd debatable whether he'd wanna confess. At this point in the series, Vegeta hasn't had his burst of character development and he's about as emotionally open as a prune. He'd probably take that shit to the grave before saying it out loud.

Maybe if they interacted enough it could work but it'd require some on-screen bonding and opening up to make it look legit. And I mean A LOT just to make it look somewhat believable. Toriyama isn't great with romance and I'm not sure he could've pulled it off but maybe if Goku wasn't married and assuming he didn't stick Goku with Bulma as a replacement for Chi-Chi, it could've happened in the hands of good writers.

Because if you put anything in the hand of a good writer, you could make the craziest ship around look presentable. Though whether it's a good idea is an entirely different can of worms.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Do you think Goku and Vegeta could've worked out as a couple in canon?

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:38 am

GalaxyBusterBuu wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:57 pm Because if you put anything in the hand of a good writer, you could make the craziest ship around look presentable. Though whether it's a good idea is an entirely different can of worms.
You answered your own question here.
I, for one, would get nauseous at the idea of Goku and Vegeta having some wishy washy saccharine romantic relationship. It sounds like such a trite idea.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:12 am

I could see it n a universe where Goku didnt hit his head and didnt turn into a completely different person. Vegeta's anger with him in the Saiyan Saga resembles Chichi's in the Budokai lol. He alway sounds like bitter ex even when they first met. Out universe Toriyama writting aside, one has to wonder why Vegeta, Raditz and Nappa had to "need" Goku's power in the first place. Maybe they expected the same ruthless Kakarot sent to Earth. ("your sofness make me want to puke", "fuck you, stay soft with the Earthlings that you love, I will handle this") Vegeta and Chichi also are a lot alike and Goku has a type.
I think Vegeta has worked out that Goku is not what he expected at all. He came to accept that and Goku's ridiculousness. He respected Goku's power and grumpily worked with him, but now he still hated Goku's Gokuness which is so different fundamentally from him , plus both loved ther wives. So as it is i dont think they could never work as a legit couple. Friends as most.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

GalaxyBusterBuu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GalaxyBusterBuu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:23 am

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:38 am
GalaxyBusterBuu wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:57 pm Because if you put anything in the hand of a good writer, you could make the craziest ship around look presentable. Though whether it's a good idea is an entirely different can of worms.
You answered your own question here.
I, for one, would get nauseous at the idea of Goku and Vegeta having some wishy washy saccharine romantic relationship. It sounds like such a trite idea.
Personally I don't care for the ship but yeah. Only way it would happen is if Goku rejected ChiChi and if Bulma didn't score fast enough. It'd be one of those relationships with constant banter and shit.

Honestly I can only see Goku and Vegeta as friends with benefits at most. Anything that happens between then wouldn't mean anything as they'd go right back to being buds.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:54 am

Yeah, sure. Their dynamic is nice as it is. Vegeta clearly has a desire to be important in Gokuu's life and I doubt Gokuu would be against spending time with and engaging in sexual activity with someone who really gets how he thinks. Vegeta's desire to be the one who finishes off Gokuu is total code for sex or marriage.

Personally, I feel like Gokuu, Chi-Chi, Vegeta and Blooma have sex with each other as it is.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:35 am

One is an oblivious asexual aromantic who only cares about fighting. The other is a Poster Boy #MasculinitySoFragile who mostly only cares about fighting. There really isn’t any way it would ever work.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:42 am

Would Goku know how to kiss Vegeta? That's the real question
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:56 am

Can't help but think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G26rsV6H-A8
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:00 am

Gokuu kissed Chi-Chi in an episode of the cartoon and has two kids, so one can imagine he understands how to enjoy sex.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

GalaxyBusterBuu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GalaxyBusterBuu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:07 am

FlpShimizu wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:42 am Would Goku know how to kiss Vegeta? That's the real question
Goku isn't that fucking dense. He kissed Chi Chi at least once. Though if he's a good kisser is up for debate...

GalaxyBusterBuu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GalaxyBusterBuu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:14 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:35 am One is an oblivious asexual aromantic who only cares about fighting. The other is a Poster Boy #MasculinitySoFragile who mostly only cares about fighting. There really isn’t any way it would ever work.
Eh. As someone the aro-ace spectrum, Asexuals can have sex. Given Goku fucked ChiChi twice, Vegeta could convince Goku to screw him(or more likely the other way around since Vegeta likes being in control and probably doesn't want Goku dominating him). Not something you want to imagine but if Chi Chi can do it despite Goku having almost no interest in anything but fighting and eating, anyone can.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:16 am

GalaxyBusterBuu wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:14 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:35 am One is an oblivious asexual aromantic who only cares about fighting. The other is a Poster Boy #MasculinitySoFragile who mostly only cares about fighting. There really isn’t any way it would ever work.
Eh. As someone the aro-ace spectrum, Asexuals can have sex. Given Goku fucked ChiChi twice, Vegeta could convince Goku to screw him(or more likely the other way around since Vegeta likes being in control and probably doesn't want Goku dominating him). Not something you want to imagine but if Chi Chi can do it despite Goku having almost no interest in anything but fighting and eating, anyone can.
I’m not saying asexuals incapable of having sex but something tells me Goku would have never had sex if Chi Chi didn’t want it

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:21 am

I mean...that's certainly a lot of room there. Part of being bisexual is that there's a 'bi cycle'. I shift between being super into guys, mildly into girls and not even understanding the concept of sexuality and attraction all in the same week sometimes. Sexuality is a funny thing and if anyone writing official Dragon Ball put actual thought into understanding the important subjects they play with I feel like Gokuu's queerness would come off as less aesthetic that that some whacky fujin decide to fuck around with.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

GalaxyBusterBuu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GalaxyBusterBuu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:38 am

Yeah honestly. I feel like he just doesn't care when it comes to sex. His sex drive probably on the low side and given how he is his mind legit goes like this.

Goku's brain on a daily basis: Eat. Drink. Farm the crops and sell them for money. Train. Sleep. Repeat and oh hey look Chi Chi wants to fuck. Better get that done. Alright we're done. Better get back to sleeping and repeating.

So yeah, Goku can have sex he just doesn't care. Vegeta could probably just ask because if Chi Chi can do it, anyone can.

Literally I'm pretty sure Krillin could ask Goku and Goku would go, "Ah sure why not,bro! We're best buds and I'd do anything for you!"

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:10 pm

What's with the sudden interest(including the Gogeta/Vegetto self-cest thread) in Goku & Vegeta's sexual/romantic desires???
It would make sense if they were actually confirmed as even actively wanting sex/romance but the both of them(one more than the other, obviously) just seem to treat said-concepts as secondary or tertiary to their lifestyles. Goku views Chi Chi as much more of a friend who happens to live in his house and sleep in his bed than he does as a wife/partner. He has gone without sex & romance for literally years with no qualms about it so it doesn't sound like Goku & Vegeta would ever make a good pairing.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:20 pm

Romance is good and cute! There are aspects to enjoy about comics and television and film mediums other than battles and grand narratives.

Fun things are fun!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:34 pm

theherodjl wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:10 pm What's with the sudden interest(including the Gogeta/Vegetto self-cest thread) in Goku & Vegeta's sexual/romantic desires???
Literally just one guy doing these topics

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:24 pm

Honestly, it's something I would be curious to see at the very least, though it's beyond unlikely to happen. Some of the best moments in the late Buu arc are Goku and Vegeta acting like a vicious married couple, bickering and sniping at each other. There was a great post made years back on this very forum analysing how they act differently post-Vegetto, like they gained a greater insight into each other's minds. The blokes behind Super saw the success of that dynamic and got Scrooge McDuck dollar eyes, though they're too conservative to take it further than mild banter.

Vegeta willingly spent three years in the Time Chamber with Goku, AFAIK that's by far the longest any duo has spent in there. I'd almost be surprised if anything untoward didn't happen during that time. You have any idea what three years stuck in one place would do to two men? Men of the seas have certainly gotten more desperate in less time.

Great film btw

Anyway, without even getting too deep into any Freudian analysis of Vegeta's inferiority complex with Goku always having romantic/sexual undertones, there's been countless other times where Vegeta shows an almost tender affection for his supposedly hated rival. A recent favourite would be Vegeta freaking the fuck out when he sees Granola paralyse Goku. That could've easily been a "Trunks feeds Mai the Senzu" type moment.
Last edited by LoganForkHands73 on Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:29 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:24 pm
Vegeta willingly spent three years in the Time Chamber with Goku, AFAIK that's by far the longest any duo has spent in there. I'd almost be surprised if anything untoward didn't happen during that time. You have any idea what three years in one place would do to two men? Men of the seas have certainly gotten more desperate in less time.
That would work only if Vegeta actually had a thing for men.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:38 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:29 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:24 pm
Vegeta willingly spent three years in the Time Chamber with Goku, AFAIK that's by far the longest any duo has spent in there. I'd almost be surprised if anything untoward didn't happen during that time. You have any idea what three years in one place would do to two men? Men of the seas have certainly gotten more desperate in less time.
That would work only if Vegeta actually had a thing for men.
Vegeta can ve bisexual, as a treat.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter