Do you think Goku and Vegeta could've worked out as a couple in canon?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: Do you think Goku and Vegeta could've worked out as a couple in canon?

Post by Yuji » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:06 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:35 am Rape isn't sex. We're not talking about Vegeta raping Gokuu (if you're into those kind of fantasies, by all means), we're talking about a mutual relationship. Besides, Vegeta could just masturbate as it is. I imagine editorial at JUMP probably declined to publish making a character capable of rape, anyway.
I don't think Vegeta in the Saiyan arc cares about the morality of rape or would even know the difference between consensual sex and rape.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:08 pm

I wonder when we'll start seeing non-binary characters in Shōnen. In the rare instances we get one they're often ambiguous, a villain or comic relief. Not what I'd call fair representation.

Other genres have been doing it nicely for a while.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:17 pm

FlpShimizu wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:08 pm I wonder when we'll start seeing non-binary characters in Shōnen. In the rare instances we get one they're often ambiguous, a villain or comic relief. Not what I'd call fair representation.

Other genres have been doing it nicely for a while.
It'd be really nice to get an enby in a shounen series. The target audience could definitely use some exposure to other types of people!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:31 pm

Probably, but I think sometimes they’d also want to work out alone.

Re: Weird consent talk: Some of y’all haven’t read Ooishi’s nasty pre-Episode of Bardock fanwork and it shows.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:44 pm

Cipher wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:31 pm Probably, but I think sometimes they’d also want to work out alone.

Re: Weird consent talk: Some of y’all haven’t read Ooishi’s nasty pre-Episode of Bardock fanwork and it shows.
I keep meaning to get around to reading her indie work. I wonder if it's sexy? 😇
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:14 am

Ooishi's old stuff gets pretty feckin wild, doesn't it.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:32 am

Uhhh I am out of the loop here...
Did Ooishi draw Vegeta fucking Goku or something?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:39 am

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:24 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:06 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:29 pm

That would work only if Vegeta actually had a thing for men.
Well, xth century sailors trapped on galley boats for long voyages would probably say the same thing, but the combination of desperation, isolation and being surrounded by people with the same impulses makes men resort to shit they would never do otherwise. Same thing happens in prisons, lighthouses, literally anywhere where two or more straight men are stuck in a confined location without women or means to relieve themselves of frustration. And let's face it, Vegeta is a very frustrated little man...

But of course, Dragon Ball isn't a realistic series about realistic people with realistic psychologies, so none of this bullshit applies.
You speak as if straight men would have sex with other men. If those guys were willing to relieve themselves by screwing other men, they were not straight to begin with.

If Vegeta decided to ejaculate into Goku to relieve his sexual craving, he would have always been gay/bi.
It is a bit more complicated than that. It’s not like all the Ancient Greeks were just bisexual. Hell a lot of prison sex is actually consensual and it’s not like gay/bi men are being incarcerated in high numbers. And obivously gay for pay exist. That’s not to say any heterosexual male can just be like “Well jeez haven’t got any action in months guess I’ll suck another dude’s dick” There is a lot of grey and nuance to sexuality and sexual identity.

Also kind of seems weird to say Vegeta would have always been gay if he had sex with Goku. Considering he was in love with Bulma and was physically attracted enough to her to have a one night stand his sexuality would definitely include an attraction to women regardless if he left her for Goku.

Though the way Saiyans are written having romantic or sexual attraction to anyone seems to be the anomaly. Asexuality seems to be their default with sex only being a means of reproduction.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:35 pm

Now I'm no psychiatrist but...well you know they say that fighting is just one step away from intimacy.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:53 pm

Gokuu would fluster Vegeta so much. I can just imagine Vegeta having a hard time asking for Gokuu to try his cooking. 😭😭😭
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:12 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:53 pm Gokuu would fluster Vegeta so much. I can just imagine Vegeta having a hard time asking for Gokuu to try his cooking. 😭😭😭
Goku would eat anything, as long as it's remotely edible.

It was cooking for Beerus that made Vegeta nervous.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:49 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:12 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:53 pm Gokuu would fluster Vegeta so much. I can just imagine Vegeta having a hard time asking for Gokuu to try his cooking. 😭😭😭

What does that have to do with Vegeta being too tsundere to ask Gokuu to try his bentou?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:52 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:49 pm
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:12 pm

What does that have to do with Vegeta being too tsundere to ask Gokuu to try his bentou?
"It's not like I even made this for you, Kakarot, but fine, have it if you want..."
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:03 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:39 am
PurestEvil wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:24 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:06 pm
Well, xth century sailors trapped on galley boats for long voyages would probably say the same thing, but the combination of desperation, isolation and being surrounded by people with the same impulses makes men resort to shit they would never do otherwise. Same thing happens in prisons, lighthouses, literally anywhere where two or more straight men are stuck in a confined location without women or means to relieve themselves of frustration. And let's face it, Vegeta is a very frustrated little man...

But of course, Dragon Ball isn't a realistic series about realistic people with realistic psychologies, so none of this bullshit applies.
You speak as if straight men would have sex with other men. If those guys were willing to relieve themselves by screwing other men, they were not straight to begin with.

If Vegeta decided to ejaculate into Goku to relieve his sexual craving, he would have always been gay/bi.
It is a bit more complicated than that. It’s not like all the Ancient Greeks were just bisexual. Hell a lot of prison sex is actually consensual and it’s not like gay/bi men are being incarcerated in high numbers. And obivously gay for pay exist. That’s not to say any heterosexual male can just be like “Well jeez haven’t got any action in months guess I’ll suck another dude’s dick” There is a lot of grey and nuance to sexuality and sexual identity.
Did the majority of Athenian men have sex with other men (including pedastry)? How common is consensual gay sex in prisons? Genuinely asking, because these assertions make things more confusing than complicated.

Also kind of seems weird to say Vegeta would have always been gay if he had sex with Goku [...]
My claim was that he would have always liked men, NOT that he EXCLUSIVELY liked men.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MajinPopo

Post by MajinPopo » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:51 pm

Short answer: no.

Nobody really "works out as a couple" in this show, outside of providing the next generation of spawn.

If there was no desire to have a multi-generational story (or if Torishima wasn't such a softy) there'd be no romantic relationships in the first place.

Seems weird to frame the question from a "canon" perspective, given that it's just fanfic fodder.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:00 pm

The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:15 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:00 pm
"B-baka! It's not like I'm making this omelet for you or anything!"

She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

The Golden God

Post by The Golden God » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:15 pm

They have a bromance that’s for sure.

The Golden God

Post by The Golden God » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:19 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:15 pm

Mari won, Asuka lost 😬

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:15 pm

The Golden God wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:19 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:15 pm

Mari won, Asuka lost 😬
Well, Shinji is Anno and Mari is Moyoco, so of course she won in a continuity.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter