Do you think Goku and Vegeta could've worked out as a couple in canon?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Do you think Goku and Vegeta could've worked out as a couple in canon?

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:43 pm

I would enjoy much more their fights... their encounter in the saiyan saga could actually be a lovers quarrel: "so you are not only married but also have a fucking kid???"... and Vegeta went Majin because the idiot banged every fucker around in the afterlife.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:58 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:38 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:29 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:24 pm
Vegeta willingly spent three years in the Time Chamber with Goku, AFAIK that's by far the longest any duo has spent in there. I'd almost be surprised if anything untoward didn't happen during that time. You have any idea what three years in one place would do to two men? Men of the seas have certainly gotten more desperate in less time.
That would work only if Vegeta actually had a thing for men.
Vegeta can ve bisexual, as a treat.
That was part of my point. LoganForkHands73 was speaking as if heterosexual men can automatically swing the other direction if they are exposed only to other males.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:06 pm

Vegeta willingly spent three years in the Time Chamber with Goku, AFAIK that's by far the longest any duo has spent in there. I'd almost be surprised if anything untoward didn't happen during that time. You have any idea what three years in one place would do to two men? Men of the seas have certainly gotten more desperate in less time.
Well, xth century sailors trapped on galley boats for long voyages would probably say the same thing, but the combination of desperation, isolation and being surrounded by people with the same impulses makes men resort to shit they would never do otherwise. Same thing happens in prisons, lighthouses, literally anywhere where two or more straight men are stuck in a confined location without women or means to relieve themselves of frustration. And let's face it, Vegeta is a very frustrated little man...

But of course, Dragon Ball isn't a realistic series about realistic people with realistic psychologies, so none of this bullshit applies.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:13 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:34 pm
theherodjl wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:10 pm What's with the sudden interest(including the Gogeta/Vegetto self-cest thread) in Goku & Vegeta's sexual/romantic desires???
Literally just one guy doing these topics
My comment wasn't clear, sorry. That was directed at the OP.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

GalaxyBusterBuu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GalaxyBusterBuu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:16 pm

theherodjl wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:13 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:34 pm
theherodjl wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:10 pm What's with the sudden interest(including the Gogeta/Vegetto self-cest thread) in Goku & Vegeta's sexual/romantic desires???
Literally just one guy doing these topics
My comment wasn't clear, sorry. That was directed at the OP.
I'm bored af and honestly I'm curious. Didn't mean any harm but I'm super fucking bored.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:24 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:06 pm
Well, xth century sailors trapped on galley boats for long voyages would probably say the same thing, but the combination of desperation, isolation and being surrounded by people with the same impulses makes men resort to shit they would never do otherwise. Same thing happens in prisons, lighthouses, literally anywhere where two or more straight men are stuck in a confined location without women or means to relieve themselves of frustration. And let's face it, Vegeta is a very frustrated little man...

But of course, Dragon Ball isn't a realistic series about realistic people with realistic psychologies, so none of this bullshit applies.
You speak as if straight men would have sex with other men. If those guys were willing to relieve themselves by screwing other men, they were not straight to begin with.

If Vegeta decided to ejaculate into Goku to relieve his sexual craving, he would have always been gay/bi.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:02 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:24 pm
You speak as if straight men would have sex with other men. If those guys were willing to relieve themselves by screwing other men, they were not straight to begin with.

If Vegeta decided to ejaculate into Goku to relieve his sexual craving, he would have always been gay/bi.
Yes. Sexuality is much more pliable than you're making out, especially in extremis. And it isn't this binary thing of "you've been completely straight as a board your whole life, but you whacked another man's willy once while you were stuck on an all-male whaling vessel for like a full year, therefore must've been secretly bi your whole life". That is, with all due respect, an immature outlook on an extremely complex subject that has centuries of literature written on it.

I think if Toriyama didn't have to deal with editors and censors, he would've probably made gags out of similar scenarios if he had the opportunity. In the series itself, Vegeta and Bulma had zero chemistry until their offscreen one-night-stand which must've been a controversial move, but it's played off as a joke about silly human nature. These two polar opposites got bored and decided to hit it raw to pass the time for reasons unknown. Shit happens. Seeing as Goku and Vegeta are often portrayed as closer to each other than their own wives, would an encounter (not necessarily shagging, but even something as simple as an awkwardly long hug) between them really be that unbelievable?

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:21 pm

If you see Vegeta as an abusive tsundere and Goku as his oblivious yandere taking the hits, I guess.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:26 pm

plenty of people realize that they're bisexual later in life so I really don't see why we can't just go there.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

GalaxyBusterBuu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GalaxyBusterBuu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:49 pm

Honestly I doubt sex would be an issue. Goku doesn't care but I'm 99% percent certain that even Yamcha could ask Goku 'hey wanna fuck' and Goku would be like 'eh sure why not?' Because given how Goku is, it's likely every time he and Chi Chi had sex it was her initiating it because Goku legit has three things on his mind on a daily basis ,'eat, train, sleep' and repeat that cycle on a daily basis unless there's a threat coming towards Earth again that fucks up his schedule.

Honestly I'm more concerned about how they'd be compatible and the issue about kids since you know, humans and saiyans seem to be similar in terms of biology meaning Goku and Vegeta cannot have children together naturally. If they wanted kids they'd have to adopt(good luck getting Vegeta to agree to that because 'muh saiyan pride!' or ask Bulma if she can somehow help them create a child out of their DNA.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:33 pm

This line of discussion just reminds me of this.
https://youtu.be/y0j-GK4NW7M
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:44 pm

GalaxyBusterBuu wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:49 pm Honestly I doubt sex would be an issue. Goku doesn't care but I'm 99% percent certain that even Yamcha could ask Goku 'hey wanna fuck' and Goku would be like 'eh sure why not?' Because given how Goku is, it's likely every time he and Chi Chi had sex it was her initiating it because Goku legit has three things on his mind on a daily basis ,'eat, train, sleep' and repeat that cycle on a daily basis unless there's a threat coming towards Earth again that fucks up his schedule.

Honestly I'm more concerned about how they'd be compatible and the issue about kids since you know, humans and saiyans seem to be similar in terms of biology meaning Goku and Vegeta cannot have children together naturally. If they wanted kids they'd have to adopt(good luck getting Vegeta to agree to that because 'muh saiyan pride!' or ask Bulma if she can somehow help them create a child out of their DNA.
Well, they are not real people and can thus be written anyway one likes.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:47 am

Neither Vegeta nor Goku appear to have any romantic inclinations, and its apparent that in both of their cases that their wives did the legwork. Outside of rare cases like Bardock and Gine, Saiyans view sex as purely utilitarian and have no concept of relationships, not even towards their own kin. Goku and Vegeta are domesticated by their Earth partners - I'd imagine if they never met Chi-Chi or Bulma in their respective circumstances, they might've gone their whole lives alone.

I actually have a headcanon that Goku and Chi-Chi have only done it exactly twice - to have Gohan because Chi-Chi wanted to start the family, and to have Goten in case Goku and/or Gohan died against the Androids. Otherwise, Goku finds it gross and we've seen enough evidence that he doesn't really like people all up in his personal space outside of fights - and in Chi-Chi's case, she's just a dumbass hillbilly who's happy to be married at all, so the oddity of that, much like the rest of their marriage, never really registers.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:10 am

It's my suspicion that Vegeta actually does enjoy sex, he's just not open about it. He did have sex with Blooma supposedly out of passion, after all. We also know that when he was around for a pregnancy he's fussy.

Gokuu has big "yeah, so what?" Energy to him about his sexuality. He'll enjoy sex but it doesn't register with him as being some all encompassing need like, say, a lot of real life people.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:16 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:02 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:24 pm

Yes. Sexuality is much more pliable than you're making out, especially in extremis. And it isn't this binary thing of "you've been completely straight as a board your whole life, but you whacked another man's willy once while you were stuck on an all-male whaling vessel for like a full year, therefore must've been secretly bi your whole life". That is, with all due respect, an immature outlook on an extremely complex subject that has centuries of literature written on it.
Obviously they were not openly bi their whole life, they just had the shell that was yet to be cracked. However, most men don’t have that sort of feature.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:22 am

Bare in mind, in the days of yore where one was stuck on a boat for a year with nothing but men nobody actually identified as anything. Homosexuality was performed, not someone's identity. Identifying as gay, bi or pan is relatively recent. I think that colors one's perception of their actions back then, I'd say.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:23 am

Nah, probably not

Dragonball has poor representation of love as it is.

Now these two characters being invested in each other romantically where the dragon universe logic suddenly stops? Yeah I can see it theoretically, but it wouldn't be anything more than undertones. Something like Killua and Gon from HxH. That's the furthest I could see it going ever. It would just be so forced.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:44 am

Honestly, if Goku was in a relationship with a man, I see Krillin being that person over Vegeta.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:23 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:47 am

Neither Vegeta nor Goku appear to have any romantic inclinations, and its apparent that in both of their cases that their wives did the legwork. Outside of rare cases like Bardock and Gine, Saiyans view sex as purely utilitarian and have no concept of relationships, not even towards their own kin. Goku and Vegeta are domesticated by their Earth partners - I'd imagine if they never met Chi-Chi or Bulma in their respective circumstances, they might've gone their whole lives alone.

I actually have a headcanon that Goku and Chi-Chi have only done it exactly twice - to have Gohan because Chi-Chi wanted to start the family, and to have Goten in case Goku and/or Gohan died against the Androids. Otherwise, Goku finds it gross and we've seen enough evidence that he doesn't really like people all up in his personal space outside of fights - and in Chi-Chi's case, she's just a dumbass hillbilly who's happy to be married at all, so the oddity of that, much like the rest of their marriage, never really registers.
Vegeta also shot down Nappa's offer to essentially rape Earthling women, so there's more proof he can go without sex.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:35 am

Rape isn't sex. We're not talking about Vegeta raping Gokuu (if you're into those kind of fantasies, by all means), we're talking about a mutual relationship. Besides, Vegeta could just masturbate as it is. I imagine editorial at JUMP probably declined to publish making a character capable of rape, anyway.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter