SSG Should Be A Healing Form

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

SSG Should Be A Healing Form

Post by BWri » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:05 pm

I'm always looking for ways to make each of these transformations mean something. Lord Beerus knows, we have too many. I had a blog series years ago dedicated to this very topic, but after reading some colored manga fights featuring the Super Saiyan God form, I can't help but feel it'd be a great form to power up the bodies self-healing functions.

We saw a glimpse of this in the anime actually during Goku's fight with Beerus. Beerus landed a particularly nasty blow that might have proved fatal had Goku not healed the damage with his newfound god power.

After this arc, this power is never seen again. But there is another aspect of the form that indicates some sort of revitalizing effect and that's the fact that when using SSG Goku and Vegeta are visibly younger. This is similar to a character named Genkai from Yu-Yu Hakusho who is normally an old mentor to the main character Yusuke.

Whenever Genkai uses her Spirit Wave technique, she takes on the form of her younger self at her prime similar to SSG. The technique allows for a wide range of abilities, including healing.

The perpetual youth granted by SSG indicates that the form is revitalizing its users so to some degree IT IS HEALING THEM but what I'm saying is that the degree should be cranked up to 11 and useful for combat.

As is, sensu beans are our main source of healing and they heal instantly but Sensu aren't always in convenient supply such as during the final battle with Buu. I think SSG should heal at a fairly decent rate by default resulting in a tame regeneration effect with no drawbacks. The only downside would be that you have to be in the form which means you're weaker than you would be as an SSB, UI, or Hakaishin/Ego. The actual drawback comes when you need to heal faster or your healing some major damage. Something like that should burn through ki and leave you drained, but at default, I think SSG should even be used to regenerate lost energy.

You know how Goku could simply sit down and rest to build up his ki/stamina reserves? I think SSG should do that naturally unless you're burning through ki healing massive damage.

Then I think branching from that would be the ability to heal others, with similar rules. Healing massive damage or healing really quickly requires a huge ki investment.

Ideally, I'd want to tone down Saiyans and stop giving them more shit, but since the series doesn't seem to be slowing down with this aspect, how's about we pile on a few more useful ones. What do you all think?
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: SSG Should Be A Healing Form

Post by theherodjl » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:19 am

I imagine that Toriyama & Toyotaro are aware of the anime depicting SSJG with healing properties towards minor injury & stamina but they probably don't want that, the reason being that it would render the senzu beans moot for Goku & Vegeta unless they were seriously injured or dealt a fatal blow. Diminishing the need for such a helpful item and occasional plot device could imbalance the seriousness of fights and leave Goku & Vegeta simply relying on SSJG, something not really to the style of the Saiyans since they wouldn't have as much incentive to push themselves beyond their limits.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:40 am

theherodjl wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:19 am I imagine that Toriyama & Toyotaro are aware of the anime depicting SSJG with healing properties towards minor injury & stamina but they probably don't want that, the reason being that it would render the senzu beans moot for Goku & Vegeta unless they were seriously injured or dealt a fatal blow. Diminishing the need for such a helpful item and occasional plot device could imbalance the seriousness of fights
I think it would provide a great replacement for sensu but wouldn't eliminate the need for them outright. Sensu haven't been used so great in Super anyhow and during the ToP they couldn't be used at all. It wouldn't imbalance the fights if they were written well, because there's a heavy cost for healing massive damage so they'd still have to use the form wisely.
and leave Goku & Vegeta simply relying on SSJG, something not really to the style of the Saiyans since they wouldn't have as much incentive to push themselves beyond their limits.
This is interesting. I do agree that it would be something quite outside of Goku and Vegeta's perceived wheelhouse, but when you think of it as a tool, something to simply keep them in the fight longer, it makes sense for them to use it or when near death. It'd give them an excuse to show off SSG more.

I overall disagree that it would disincentivize them from pushing themselves to the limit. Going by what we agree on about Saiyan personalities, I don't see either of them relying on this hypothetical healing form. I don't even see them using it much and when they do use it it would simply be as a means of keeping them in the fight. For instance, if the anime had used something like this for Goku during the ToP, instead of whatever the hell he was doing to pull infinite stamina out of his ass, then it would have been a good use for the form.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:17 am

You: Having a bad day; just the worst

Me: Waving a picture of SSG Goku in front of you, whispering “It’s a healing form” :shh:

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:01 pm

Cipher wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:17 am You: Having a bad day; just the worst

Me: Waving a picture of SSG Goku in front of you, whispering “It’s a healing form” :shh:
lol, just what I needed

So the latest chapter did something interesting

So we healing in base form now?

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:58 pm

BWri wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:01 pm

lol, just what I needed

Seems like putting an extension cord plug inside its own outlet...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:16 pm

Ki is life energy so, I guess helping heal wounds makes sense.

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:31 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:16 pm Ki is life energy so, I guess helping heal wounds makes sense.
I always thought this, but Dragon Ball seemed to shy away from this idea. I suppose like most other things, it is a technique, or a specific application of ki that can be learned. It's just, not everyone does it so it must be a tricky thing to learn. Trunks did learn it after all, but I had assumed it was due to his position as attendent to the Kai.
PurestEvil wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:58 pm Seems like putting an extension cord plug inside its own outlet...
:lol: I like that. IDK, ki works kinda weird in Dragon Ball. I always wondered how the mechanics of healing even worked. Super seems to have confirmed that it is somewhat finite. But as proven with Goku vs. Majin Buu, it does replenish with rest (and quickly). So, I think a form that rests and revitalizes the body would encourage ki replenishment.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:53 pm

BWri wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:40 amI think it would provide a great replacement for sensu but wouldn't eliminate the need for them outright. Sensu haven't been used so great in Super anyhow and during the ToP they couldn't be used at all. It wouldn't imbalance the fights if they were written well, because there's a heavy cost for healing massive damage so they'd still have to use the form wisely.
The senzu exist for a reason though: the characters use them for revitalizing energy(and injury if it calls for it) or they lose the senzu(usually because of an unforseen circumstance) and are forced to figure out the fight the best they can with what they have. A balance is created between having the senzu and not having it rather than having one sure-fire method of restoring energy/bodily-stability that can be accessed anytime. Tension is created by the status of their senzu supply in serious battles and subsequent recovery from a serious battle.
BWri wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:40 amThis is interesting. I do agree that it would be something quite outside of Goku and Vegeta's perceived wheelhouse, but when you think of it as a tool, something to simply keep them in the fight longer, it makes sense for them to use it or when near death. It'd give them an excuse to show off SSG more.

I overall disagree that it would disincentivize them from pushing themselves to the limit. Going by what we agree on about Saiyan personalities, I don't see either of them relying on this hypothetical healing form. I don't even see them using it much and when they do use it it would simply be as a means of keeping them in the fight. For instance, if the anime had used something like this for Goku during the ToP, instead of whatever the hell he was doing to pull infinite stamina out of his ass, then it would have been a good use for the form.
Goku & Vegeta aren't really about actively using less-powerful forms though even if there might be a benefit. SSJG(and most other previous forms) certainly conserves energy way better than SSJB and can even be used in near-instantaneous conjunction with SSJB as Vegeta demonstrated in the manga. However, this remains just a temporary strategy until they can go all out because that's really what they're going for; they don't like to remain held back indefinitely because the love of battle always triumphs for Saiyans.
Vegeta saw that Pybara could use a healing technique with spirit control and yet, Vegeta chose not to learn it even after being consciously aware of it's benefits and applications. Old habits die hard.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:58 pm

BWri wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:01 pm So the latest chapter did something interesting

If the phrasing is a precise translation ("C'mon, body...you gotta heal for me"), I guess I'd credit this as another aspect of Goku's development in coaxing his body to instinctively do the things he needs it to do - in the same general fashion of what happened in Chapter 65, when his body grew sturdier because Goku needed it to. So, more an Ultra Instinct thing than anything else, in its own peculiar way.

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:22 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:58 pm If the phrasing is a precise translation ("C'mon, body...you gotta heal for me"), I guess I'd credit this as another aspect of Goku's development in coaxing his body to instinctively do the things he needs it to do - in the same general fashion of what happened in Chapter 65, when his body grew sturdier because Goku needed it to. So, more an Ultra Instinct thing than anything else, in its own peculiar way.
This new stuff he's doing with his body is interesting, but I don't yet understand it. I didn't think ki could be used like this, with the hardening I mean. I'm thinking he's using his ki to directly heal (ala dende), but I'm keeping an open mind.
theherodjl wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:53 pm The senzu exist for a reason though: the characters use them for revitalizing energy(and injury if it calls for it) or they lose the senzu(usually because of an unforseen circumstance) and are forced to figure out the fight the best they can with what they have. A balance is created between having the senzu and not having it rather than having one sure-fire method of restoring energy/bodily-stability that can be accessed anytime. Tension is created by the status of their senzu supply in serious battles and subsequent recovery from a serious battle.
From my perspective, there is hardly any additional tension with or without the sensu because there's always additional methods of healing nearby. I think just about every arc since Namek has shown us this or fights simply just end. There aren't many instances of fighters stopping in the middle of a fight and popping a sensu either. All the fighters, even the non-saiyans are typically too prideful for that. Its usually reserved for big injuries or post-battle. So changing that method of healing to one with its own set of drawbacks and advantages doesn't alter the balance in any tangible way, other than to make the battle itself more tactical and to rely on Korin less. It would essentially be similar to Goku giving up Nimbus for the Bukujutsu. Just giving up a tool for a more convenient tool.
Goku & Vegeta aren't really about actively using less-powerful forms though even if there might be a benefit.

They do it all the time. That's why I'm proposing this change, because I have the urge to roll my eyes whenever they shift through their weaker Super Saiyan forms. For me, the viewer, it's a pointless gesture. That's why these forms should do more stuff that the other forms can't. Every other show with transformations understands this.
SSJG(and most other previous forms) certainly conserves energy way better than SSJB and can even be used in near-instantaneous conjunction with SSJB as Vegeta demonstrated in the manga. However, this remains just a temporary strategy until they can go all out because that's really what they're going for; they don't like to remain held back indefinitely because the love of battle always triumphs for Saiyans.
Well yeah, but what's wrong with a little bit of healing on top of that? There's no longer many logical reasons to use weaker forms when SSB exists. I don't believe SSB has any stamina issues any longer and they practice ki control in SSB, so all weaker forms are obsolete.
Vegeta saw that Pybara could use a healing technique with spirit control and yet, Vegeta chose not to learn it even after being consciously aware of it's benefits and applications. Old habits die hard.
He was on a time crunch then. I still agree with this point. It's not really in Vegeta's character to willingly use healing in battle. However, if he's near death or gotten his arm broken again, you better believe he'll use it in a heartbeat. And if SSG possessed natural healing abilities, there wouldn't be much for Vegeta to learn. He'd just use what the form naturally grants.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:07 pm

My theory: the SS God transformation we saw in ToP is different from the transformation we saw in the first arc.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:18 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:07 pm My theory: the SS God transformation we saw in ToP is different from the transformation we saw in the first arc.
That's fascinating. The first SSG form does seem incongruent to the forms we see later as well as to its later use, at least it does to me. So I could possibly see this as being a thing.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:32 pm

BWri wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:18 pmThe first SSG form does seem incongruent to the forms we see later as well as to its later use
And the first SSG is visually different from the others. When Goku achieved Super Saiyan God for the first time, in the movie and in the anime he looked like this:

Which is obviously different from his base form, not only because of the hair, the eyes or the clothes, but because of the boots:

However, when Goku used SSG in the Tournament of Power, his clothes didn't change. I don't have a picture, but you can check Goku's fights in the ToP.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:42 am

SSJgogeto wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:32 pm Which is obviously different from his base form, not only because of the hair, the eyes or the clothes, but because of the boots:

However, when Goku used SSG in the Tournament of Power, his clothes didn't change. I don't have a picture, but you can check Goku's fights in the ToP.
Wasn't that just a production error? Or do you think there's some magic inherent in the initial form, kind of like fusion which also conjures clothes?

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:46 pm

BWri wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:42 amOr do you think there's some magic inherent in the initial form, kind of like fusion which also conjures clothes?
Yes, since I saw this theory some time ago:

There's two ways to achieve god ki and/or Super Saiyan God: through the ritual and through training. The difference is, due to the nature of the ritual, the saiyan will receive some "bonus" like the healing thing and his clothes will have some small changes.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:34 am

BWri wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:01 pm

lol, just what I needed

Looks like he's just speeding up his natural healing.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:46 am

Goku in the anime shot a ki blast to the sky, got killed by Hit, and then the blast revived him. Maybe there’s something like that in store?

BWri

Post by BWri » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:55 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:46 am Goku in the anime shot a ki blast to the sky, got killed by Hit, and then the blast revived him. Maybe there’s something like that in store?
Similar to what Piccolo did for Gohan in RoF and later in episode 88. In all three instances, it's used as a defibrillator to jump-start the heart.
OLKv3 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:34 am Looks like he's just speeding up his natural healing.
I think so too. It's surprising to me because I don't think we've gotten any previous indication that non-healers or non-regenerators can do this, at least nothing explicitly stated like Goku is saying here. Because of that, there's a good chance this is something new.

Theoretically, ki should be able to stimulate the body's natural healing, but we don't typically see this with the fighters in Dragon Ball outside of Piccolo and Nail.
SSJgogeto wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:46 pm Yes, since I saw this theory some time ago:

There's two ways to achieve god ki and/or Super Saiyan God: through the ritual and through training. The difference is, due to the nature of the ritual, the saiyan will receive some "bonus" like the healing thing and his clothes will have some small changes.
That's an interesting theory. With nothing else in the official material to go on, I'd like to believe this is true. It could also recontextualize the whole Goku 6, Beerus 10, Whis 15 debacle. As the original SSG could be his strongest form yet.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:28 pm

BWri wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:05 pm I'm always looking for ways to make each of these transformations mean something. Lord Beerus knows, we have too many. I had a blog series years ago dedicated to this very topic, but after reading some colored manga fights featuring the Super Saiyan God form, I can't help but feel it'd be a great form to power up the bodies self-healing functions.

We saw a glimpse of this in the anime actually during Goku's fight with Beerus. Beerus landed a particularly nasty blow that might have proved fatal had Goku not healed the damage with his newfound god power.

After this arc, this power is never seen again. But there is another aspect of the form that indicates some sort of revitalizing effect and that's the fact that when using SSG Goku and Vegeta are visibly younger. This is similar to a character named Genkai from Yu-Yu Hakusho who is normally an old mentor to the main character Yusuke.

Whenever Genkai uses her Spirit Wave technique, she takes on the form of her younger self at her prime similar to SSG. The technique allows for a wide range of abilities, including healing.

The perpetual youth granted by SSG indicates that the form is revitalizing its users so to some degree IT IS HEALING THEM but what I'm saying is that the degree should be cranked up to 11 and useful for combat.

As is, sensu beans are our main source of healing and they heal instantly but Sensu aren't always in convenient supply such as during the final battle with Buu. I think SSG should heal at a fairly decent rate by default resulting in a tame regeneration effect with no drawbacks. The only downside would be that you have to be in the form which means you're weaker than you would be as an SSB, UI, or Hakaishin/Ego. The actual drawback comes when you need to heal faster or your healing some major damage. Something like that should burn through ki and leave you drained, but at default, I think SSG should even be used to regenerate lost energy.

You know how Goku could simply sit down and rest to build up his ki/stamina reserves? I think SSG should do that naturally unless you're burning through ki healing massive damage.

Then I think branching from that would be the ability to heal others, with similar rules. Healing massive damage or healing really quickly requires a huge ki investment.

Ideally, I'd want to tone down Saiyans and stop giving them more shit, but since the series doesn't seem to be slowing down with this aspect, how's about we pile on a few more useful ones. What do you all think?
Super Saiyan God should have kept all of it's very own unique powers and abilities for the rest of it's existence and appearances in order to have it become much more relevant than it had been.