Ultra Ego... what about calling it Ultra Impulse?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

zekken1

Ultra Ego... what about calling it Ultra Impulse?

Post by zekken1 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:26 am

as the title suggests if the new vegeta form is a direct opposite to Goku's UI then how about calling it Ultra Impulse instead? Better than Ultra Ego am i right?
I genuinely believe Dragon Ball is at the top where it is now because it has accurately and appropriately represented martial arts like no other anime & manga out there. Getting stronger through hardship & getting rewarded for hard work. And the show is funny & easily "digestible" people may say the plot is too cookie cutter sometimes & while I would very much like more grey elements and more mature story lines. The story's simplistic nature lends itself to be very easy to pick up.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Re: Ultra Ego... what about calling it Ultra Impulse?

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:50 am

The notion of impulse would actually fit better with Goku's form than with Vegeta: it's something that comes up suddenly and makes you act immediately without much of a thought, with the definition going "a sudden strong and unreflective urge or desire to act."

For Vegeta, it's all about being very much aware and conscious about your own nature and what you are, and embracing it. It's the opposite of anything that would happen by reflex, by impulse and unconsciously like Goku's form that forgets about the self-conscience and lets the body react fully to the environment with no interference from your self.
Goku is focused on forgetting your self and letting the rest take over (your body and the environment automatically interacting).
Vegeta is the opposite, focusing very strongly on your self and your deep nature, forgetting about the rest, the world, the past, the consequences, the context, the positive image you'd like to give...

With part of the Japanese term translating to the fact that you act "as the Ego wills it" (this comes from Herms' Twitter account) and the nature of this state of mind being about centering things around yourself and your deep nature, it's hard to come up with something better-suited than "Ego" if you ask me, and on the French forum, I even proposed several possible names pointing at the fact that "Ultra Ego" would be the most accurate way to go.

I don't find "impulse" to be a good idea as it is more on the side of Goku's form and the idea of a reflex, an uncontralable thing that takes over you and dictates what you do if only for a sec, an "instinct" (although I always found this term to be too vague in the notion of "Ultra Instinct", so I'm glad the French translator thought the same and named the form around "Reflex").
On Ultra Instinct, Goku specifically lets his impulses guide him without any interference from his conscience, thoughts and emotions. Vegeta's new form is the exact opposite of Goku's new form.

zekken1

Post by zekken1 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:07 am

Oh gotcha seems I misunderstood the meaning of "Impulse"
I genuinely believe Dragon Ball is at the top where it is now because it has accurately and appropriately represented martial arts like no other anime & manga out there. Getting stronger through hardship & getting rewarded for hard work. And the show is funny & easily "digestible" people may say the plot is too cookie cutter sometimes & while I would very much like more grey elements and more mature story lines. The story's simplistic nature lends itself to be very easy to pick up.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:06 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:50 am The notion of impulse would actually fit better with Goku's form than with Vegeta: it's something that comes up suddenly and makes you act immediately without much of a thought, with the definition going "a sudden strong and unreflective urge or desire to act."
There's a reason the Latin American dub was going to call UI "Impulso Absoluto", Absolute Impulse

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:21 pm

Metal Bat from One Punch Man has a similar ability, which is called Fighting Spirit. Perhaps Ultra Spirit, no?

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:01 am

Hugo Boss wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:21 pm Metal Bat from One Punch Man has a similar ability, which is called Fighting Spirit. Perhaps Ultra Spirit, no?
wouldn't work as counterpart of Ultra INSTINCT: the original Japanese words of UI and UE are(can be) synonym; such thing is impossible in English, so instead going for opposite works, especially with "Ego" being arguably a closer translation of "Wagamama" compared to the much looser translation of "Instinct" for "Migatte"

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:33 pm

As a returning Pokémon Go player, I was lurking around the internet to find more about its lore and one of its core gameplay aspects caught my attention. I took a closer look at each of the 3 team leaders’ personalities and personal philosophy, which are described as it follows:

Team Instinct

Team Mystic

Team Valor

I don’t know if anyone already made this correlation, but it’s amusing that those 3 characters are so similar to Goku, Piccolo and Vegeta, respectively.

Despite seeing the point in Ultra Ego’s translation, I think Ultra Valor would also make my inner Pokémon fan very happy. :lol:

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:47 pm

I think Ultra Impulse sounds cool but Ultra Ego fits with Vegeta's current characterization more imo.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:10 pm

Maybe Ultra Willpower, but not impulse, impulse has nothing to do with ego/will, it's instinct, and this technique is the opposite of that.