Dragon Ball chat: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Or how to turn expectations upside down

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball chat: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Or how to turn expectations upside down

Post by Alkiser » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:01 pm

I have to admit that when the new theatrical movie was officially announced on May 9 (although it was leaked a few days earlier, but not officially confirmed), everyone expected an old character (Cooler) to be revived, especially since Toriyama's memo implied that an unexpected character would play a role in it. After this announcement, a sequel to Broly was expected where Cooler would make his debut and support him in his fight against the saiyans, especially since Frieza mentioned at the end of Broly that he doesn't stand a chance against the saiyans alone.

Thus passed over 2 months where the favorites were Cooler, Janemba, Tapion and again Broly. The 23rd of July came and it turned out that most likely this unexpected character will be Pan and the movie will be more down to earth (which was confirmed in a recent interview with V-Jump), it will be a down to earth story with a Super Hero vibe where the emphasis will be on visuals and the emphasis on dynamic/violent scenes will still be there but not as much as in DBS: Broly.

The revelation itself proved to be a controversy as the delusional expectations of people with Cooler etc, was turned upside down. The movie's atmosphere will be more like the special episode Son Goku and friends return and the movie Battle of Gods than the movies Fukkatsu no F and Broly. People made up their minds about Cooler based on his popularity, the fact that he's the brother of the currently living Frieza, and the fact that this is what they expected, and the funny thing is that they took the easiest route, where they thought they were going to dig up an old character for the second time in a row even though no one promised them that, and in fact the fandom got offended because it was going to be something completely different (even though that's what the other part of the fandom wanted, because how much can you dig up old characters). If I were to ever predict the appearance of Cooler, it would be in the current saga where Frieza plays a pretty significant role (even though he hasn't appeared at all so far). It can be said that Toriyama has again, but this time unknowingly reversed expectations.

The second reason for the controversy is the announced idyllic atmosphere of the film, where action climates, explosions, etc. were sacrificed in favor of a much more family-oriented story. And there are voices like:

1. BUT THAT A SHOUNEN IS SUPPOSED TO FOCUS ON FAMILY CLIMATES? HUFF AND PUFF ONLY FIGHT BECAUSE THAT'S THE ROLE OF SHOUNEN

2) All in all, it's much more of an idyllic atmosphere these days, because I got tired of the constant fighting and pushing boundaries in DB.

3. I'm in the middle, ideally one and the other should complement each other.

In my opinion, there is nothing to cross the film off (because we didn't even get the trailer, and we don't have a full view of what to really expect. Although, to be honest, this is what I miss in DB nowadays, every now and then there are space travels and fights on another scale, and I would like to stop for this hour and a half and enjoy the beauty of this universe.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball chat: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Or how to turn expectations upside down

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:48 am

This is a valid analysis. While I personally wouldn’t have cared about the story’s vibes (because at least we are getting the first DB anime in 4years), I look forward to seeing new character interactions with Pan.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball chat: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Or how to turn expectations upside down

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:49 pm

When it comes to DB its seen as a bad thing to reboot older movie villains. Yet i never see that complaint with the MCU movies when most of their major villains aren't really new but their story & chracter is slightly rebooted from the original source. Why couldn't the same have been done for a Cooler,Janemba or whoever?

I think the story content for this new film is fine but would be better served for a mini arc in the anime series not a movie. Especially not your "comeback" movie after being away for 4 years. Plus one of the many gripes with ROF was the lack of tension. This movie is giving red flags of this based off the apparent premise of it being light hearted. Which is why ppl are saying this movie seems to be skipable because you won't really miss anything important unlike with BOG & Broly.

& we haven't even gotten to the dealbreaker for most which is the CGI.