The Manga is no more canon than the anime right?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: The Manga is no more canon than the anime right?

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:11 pm

If Dragon Ball had a canon of "100% intended by the original author," it's the original manga. Everything that came after is based on that.
I do think it should be acceptable to refer to all versions of the main continuity that tie directly in that original timeline as 'canon' (in brackets) as a reference point for ease of discussion. I do not use the term 'canon' or 'main continuity' to express that it is better than the co-existing alternative continuities.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:22 pm

When I said canon I meant that we no the orginal Manga supersedes the orginal anime for example Kid Buu is weaker than Super Buu in the manga and the strongest Buu in the anime.

With Super however while two different stories there is not one that supersedes the other. If Someone mentions something in the anime vs the manga neither party is wrong as with the kid buu situation we would say why did Toei change the stroy.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:32 am

If you consider canon as falling closer to the original manga's continuity, the DBS manga wins out on that, zero doubt.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:03 am

Movie, anime an manga are just different versions of the same continuity that all tie in to the original story.
There is no version that ties in 'more' to he original story than another version.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:37 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:03 am Movie, anime an manga are just different versions of the same continuity that all tie in to the original story.
There is no version that ties in 'more' to he original story than another version.
I mean,
Buuuuuut, and this is where one has to be careful with their wording to avoid making people mad, there are stricter definitions of "canonical" that one could tend toward the manga being canon to the original manga, and the anime not.
  1. For one, the anime of Dragon Ball Super makes use of some minor plot points that only exist in the anime for Z, such as Bulma having been possessed by Ginyu. We know in the anime for DBS Goku trained with Gregory, because he exists on King Kai's world in that continuity.
  2. Secondly, Toriyama has arguably more "direct" ties to with how the story is portrayed in the manga, editing dialogue and occasionally drawing entire pages. He's also confirmed to have co-written the current arc with Toyotaro.
  3. Thirdly, there have been multiple instances where the anime deviated heavily from what we know was originally written or noted down by Toriyama.
    • Examples of this include Super Saiyan Goku Black, the final fight with Fused Zamasu being between Trunks and Fused Zamasu as opposed to Goku and Fused Zamasu, as well as the Potara's time limit having been originally been intended for Fused Zamasu, who it does not apply to in the anime, but does in the manga.
  4. Minor references to geographical locations (Mount Paozu) or visual references aside (Vegeta's casual wear being his GT outfit), there hasn't been any actual contradictions to the manga of Dragon Ball or references to filler events that didn't happen prior on the page.
  5. Lastly, you have Shueisha itself having referred to the manga for DBS several times as the canonical sequel (or whatever Japanese equivalent has been made note of by our dear founder) of the original manga.
Unless you're referring to the "original story" as DBZ in general, then yes, but otherwise the anime for DBS has several implications toward being a closer continuity to the anime of Z than the original manga, while the manga for DBS is closer to the original manga continuity. The anime for DBS contains too many elements that weren't in the original manga and references events that weren't ever suggested to have happened in it.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:02 am

I just remembered the reason why I never considered the manga canon: It's because it didn't have the tingly-back explanation for Super Saiyan.

Ok bear with me. We know from that one interview about the Broly movie that that explanation came from Toriyama- because of course it did - and in the manga that whole scene is skipped and it never comes up in the tournament. Therefore, the manga writer neglected the Word of God while the anime staff embraced it.

Ya can't skip something like that if you want to be the true successor to the series. It implies you're trying to treat the original source material 'with respect' and that's not what Dragon Ball is about. Dragon Ball is shameless.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:05 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:03 am Movie, anime an manga are just different versions of the same continuity that all tie in to the original story.
Yeah pretty much this, it's just three different versions of the same story.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:54 pm

And there is a reason two of those versions are based on Akira Toriyama's [authority/canon] plot outlines. Hence why Akira Toriyama's movies [written by him] are the standard for Super.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:43 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:32 pm
GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:57 pm but now that it's ended I think the manga is the main thing. I bet the anime will probably just adapt the manga like most animes do when/if it comes back.

'I think it's the case" and 'i prefer ...' are only thoughts and preferences, no valid arguments for debate.
I haven't read any senseful arguments from people who made a choice in this matter (x is more canon than y) that go beyond thoughts or preferences.
Any piece of evidence will always be filtered by the words of those presenting it. If I say "I think the world is round" does that mean I'm not speaking a fact?
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:52 pm

Dragon Wukong wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:32 am If you consider canon as falling closer to the original manga's continuity, the DBS manga wins out on that, zero doubt.
That's not what canon is.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:17 am

ZodaEX wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:52 pm
Dragon Wukong wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:32 am If you consider canon as falling closer to the original manga's continuity, the DBS manga wins out on that, zero doubt.
He said “If you consider [it to be] canon”.
What do YOU consider canon?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shintoki » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:06 am

Miracles wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:54 pm And there is a reason two of those versions are based on Akira Toriyama's [authority/canon] plot outlines. Hence why Akira Toriyama's movies [written by him] are the standard for Super.
100%. i keep seeing tons of people arguing over the tv series vs the manga but rarely does anyone bring up the movies. which imo are the standard for this saga. ultimately, i think the thread has reached its natural conclusion.

DBS manga is closer to the OG manga
DBS tv anime is closer to the DBZ tv anime rather than the former

the movies however, are 100% the closest imo. thus it goes like this for me canonically speaking

movies > manga > tv series
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:35 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:17 am
ZodaEX wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:52 pm
He said “If you consider [it to be] canon”.
What do YOU consider canon?
My point is that it doesn't matter what a fan thinks is canon because Dragon Ball doesn't have a canon.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:15 am

A better dichotomy, instead of "canon" vs "non-canon", is "Toriyama" vs "Toei".

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:38 am

capsulecorp wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:15 am A better dichotomy, instead of "canon" vs "non-canon", is "Toriyama" vs "Toei".
You know what, that is an ingenious idea.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:56 am

My uncle actually works at Toriyama and said that only the manga is canon, and also that everything that happens after Goku kamehamehas the top half of Cell to smithereens is Cell's dying fever dream

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:03 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:56 am My uncle actually works at Toriyama and said that only the manga is canon, and also that everything that happens after Goku kamehamehas the top half of Cell to smithereens is Cell's dying fever dream
Honestly that explains why Gohan has become such a useless fodder, naturally Cell would dream about his killer becoming a useless civilian :think:

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:58 pm

I think this is kind of the real reason why End of Z will never get retcon--because you don't have to actually decide which adaptation is canon. Do I personally care? Nah, not really (though if the anime just fucked off out of existence I'd be cool with it), but there's probably a bunch of people who would be audibly pissed if Toei via one of these movies sided with specific events that happened in the manga and vice versia.

The 10 year gap can be home to whatever damn project they decide to do.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:37 pm

As far as I can tell the Super Manga is "canon" to the original manga. My two cents is manga timeline follows the manga, anime timeline follows the Toei anime.
Toriyama said that the movies he penned are "canon" to his original manga so you have to make some assumptions, but my best guess is Toriyama canon = original manga, BOG movie, RF movie, Super Manga, Broly movie, Super Super Hero movie.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:33 pm

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:37 pm Toriyama canon = original manga, BOG movie, RF movie, Super Manga, Broly movie, Super Super Hero movie.
And Jaco the Galactic Patrolman manga.