Rank the DBS arcs from worst to best

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Rank the DBS arcs from worst to best

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:55 pm

My personal opinion (going only with the anime for now):

Worst -

Revival of F arc
Copy Vegeta arc
Battle of Gods arc
Tournament of Power Recruitment arc
Tournament of Destroyers arc
Future Trunks Arc
Tournament of Power arc

Best -
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Rank the DBS arcs from worst to best

Post by pepd » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:54 pm

Moro
Zamasu
RoF
U6
BoG
Broly

(manga and movies)

*Some are close and may change if you ask me tomorrow

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:17 pm

Not including Granola as it's ongoing, and using the anime for everything pre-Moro.

Moro
BoG
Zamasu
U6
Broly
RoF
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:34 pm

pepd wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:54 pm Moro
Zamasu
RoF
U6
BoG
Broly

(manga and movies)
Whoa, it's the exact same ranking as mine. Get out of my head!

I have no idea how the Granolah arc will fare when it's finished, but at this point I'd be genuinely surprised if it makes it to RoF's level. Not even gonna bother with the anime's arcs as I think all of them are varying degrees of bad.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:05 am

I've only read the first half or so of the Moro arc and haven't gotten to Granolah yet. My thoughts aren't drastically different from manga to anime. Right now I'd go, from worst to best:

Resurrection F
Copy Vegeta
Battle of Gods (talking about the Super arc, not the movie. The movie would be #2 best for me.)
U6
Zamasu
ToP Recruitment
Broly

The bolded arcs are the ones I thoroughly enjoyed.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:44 am

RoF
Zamasu
Moro
Champa
Broly
BoG

It's hard to rank them since I like most of them for different reasons so I ranked based on how much I could rewatch. I've seen BoG and Broly the most while I can still rewatch/reread my favorite scenes from the ToP, Champa, and Moro arcs. The last two not so much.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:27 am

• Zamasu / RoF
  • Moro
  • Champa
  • Broly
  • BoG
I don't include the filler like Copy Vegeta and Watagash as I feel they aren't deserving of their own arcs. I see these moments between arcs as either pros or cons for the arcs next to them. For instance, Goku playing with Pan because he can't train actually enhances the Champa arc for me.

For those where there are multiple versions, I take all versions into account. This means that things like RoF I take all material and give it a general score. This is mainly because I want to include Manga/Movie only content.

Just to be clear, I kinda hate the anime BoG, but love both the Manga and Movie versions so they outweigh my hate of the anime. In general I seem to enjoy the manga more than the anime. I imagine my list is not popular.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:22 am

I'm not going to include the movie versions of BoG and 'F'. I also won't include Granola since that's still ongoing. I'm also referring to the anime versions (with the exception of the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc, of course).

Resurrection 'F'
As a story that's part of a larger series, this arc is such a headscratcher. It just feels so out-of-nowhere to get a Freeza revival story in the midst of Super's expansion of other universes and characters. It doesn't really do anything new and most of the action in the anime was lame. Now that Freeza's played a role in later arcs, I view 'F' as a story that reintroduces him into the modern mythos. It's just a shame that the arc has no real standout moments. I do love the episodes where Vegeta and Goku are trying to train with Whis, though.

Battle of Gods
By no means a bad arc, but it loses a lot of its impact purely because we've already seen this story before through the movie version. Beerus is a great antagonist and is the perfect introduction character for Goku's pursuit in godly power throughout Super. It has some standout episodes like 6 and 11. The last fight, however, overstays its welcome. For a while, Goku vs Beerus was the longest fight in Super.

Champa
When it comes to simple tournament arcs, this one mostly ticks all the boxes. I wish Piccolo played a bigger role and I hate that stupid 'Buu fell asleep' bullshit, but besides that, this was a solid arc. Champa's funny as hell and I love how Vados insults the fuck outta him and it just flies over his head. I also like all the U6 characters, especially Hit! Goku vs Hit was the first moment during Super's run that hearkened back to Z's adrenaline-rush scenes. That Kaioken x10 scene was fantastic. I just wish the animation was better.

Galactic Patrol Prisoner
I feel like I'm going to enjoy this arc a lot more when (or if) it gets animated. Moro's a pretty generic Dragon Ball antagonist, but he works for the most part. They do a good job at making him feel like a genuine threat. I like what they do with Ultra Instinct and I really did enjoy the last few chapters of the arc. However, this was the first time in the entire series where I truly believe that Vegeta got shafted. You can't just build up his training through numerous chapters and then have him briefly kick Moro's ass for a few pages, only for him to get stomped like his training didn't mean anything. It just felt like a waste. Still a good arc, though.

Universe Survival
This is a fat arc when you compare it to the arcs that came beforhand, but still not as fat as the arcs from Z. I love me a good tournament arc, and this one delivered. It was just exciting. Seeing Goku trying to achieve complete Ultra Instinct over the course of the tournament was engaging as fuck. Soooo many stand out scenes that I can't even begin to count. Episodes 95, 104, 110, 116, 118 and the last 3 episodes were all fantastic. This made me scream. Also, stuff like this is why I love Dragon Ball.

Broly
Probably the most focused Dragon Ball story I've seen in a while. It is a very simple story, but it benefits greatly because of that. The first half perfectly builds up what unfolds later on. When everything's been set in stone and everyone finally meets up at the ice continent... the shit hits the fucking fan. Without question this has the best action and animation from this franchise. I would even argue that this is one of the best action anime films ever. Broly is such an endearing character and I want to see more of him. Same goes with Cheelai and Lemo.

Future Trunks
This was the arc that had everything. Fantastic villain. Twists and turns. Great action. Memorable music. It was an arc that kept me theorising on what would happen next. I never got to grow up with Dragon Ball on a weekly basis, but this was the first time during Super's run where I couldn't wait to see what happens next week. I was able to look past some flaws like Goku's exaggerated childish characterisation and the back and forth time travel because everything else was so good. I'm also one of the three people on the planet that loves the ending. It's one of those arcs where I wish I could forget everything about it just so I can experience it for the first time again.

The Accountant
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Accountant » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:01 am

Haven't read the other rankings yet. So, not sure if mine will be unpopular.

Least Favorite -> Most Favorite:

- Universe 6 Tournament [Vegeta/ Goku vs. Hit was good, Cabba was alright. Despised the rest.]
- Golden Freeza [Aside from the reasoning of how Freeza got so strong, and Vegeta's 'L', I didn't mind this.]
- Copy-Vegeta [It is silly, stupid, and fun.]
- God of destruction Beerus [IMO this introductory saga is quite good.]
- Universe Survival [Iconic, and rollercoaster are the two words I would use to describe it. Manga is too short, Anime is too long. Both have pros and cons.]
- Granolah (Most likely will move up once it ends.) [Although there are things I would tweak, interesting concept.]
- Moro [Thought the stuff on Namek was damn near perfect. The execution of forced spirit fission technique was less than subpar in the manga. Action was great. Many characters are involved in this.]
- Zumasu [Fantastic concept. Loved the antagonists, location, etc.. IMO each version of this falls short a bit. Wish they nailed this saga, cause I love it so much. Would recommend experiencing both the Anime and Manga of this saga, I really think they complement each other. Touching, albeit short character exchange between Trunks and Vegeta in the manga.]
- Broly [Solid.]

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:35 am

I haven’t read Moro, Granolah is still running, and Broly is merely a film, so I’m going off by the DBS anime:
WORST
RoF (fights are crap, story is crap, the art is SHIT)
Copy Vegeta (bit too obnoxious)
U6 (it was a bit disappointing, despite Hit being the only interesting thing)
BoG (art is crap but at least this was based on a good story)
Zamasu (very solid first half, but it could have been much better)
ToP (some parts didn’t make sense, but it has the most entertaining/rewatchable episodes)
BEST
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:26 am

Best to worst (anime only):

-Battle of Gods
-Universe 6
-Frieza
-Goku Black
-Tournament of Power
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:29 am

Future Trunks arc > ToP arc > BoG arc > Universe 6 arc > Copy Vegeta arc > RoF arc

The Future Trunks arc was the absolute peak of Super. I don't know if people remember this, but episode 47 was absolutely massive back in the day when it aired, and it was the turning point when people started taking Super seriously. Before the Future Trunks arc, Super was an absolute joke. 2 retellings, one of which was awful, and 1 friendly Tournament arc. So the episode where "Goku Black" was revealed, featuring the death of Future Bulma (a fan-favourite) and Mai (it was believed she died), was absolutely revolutionary for this show.

It is therefore not a surprise that to this day episode 47 has the highest ratings in Super, it was all downhill from there (you can find the ratings thread on this forum).

Credit naturally to the main villain Zamasu, who made and carried that arc on his shoulders.

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:22 am I'm also one of the three people on the planet that loves the ending. It's one of those arcs where I wish I could forget everything about it just so I can experience it for the first time again.
Ah, at long last someone else who loves the ending. Yeah I also think that's one of the best endings the writers could have ever made. Not enough people appreciate how for the first time in the franchise the Dragon Balls couldn't just fix everything.

If the ending instead was episode 66, with Trunks destroying Zamasu, all the foreshadowing with Zeno would have been meaningless, the Zeno button would have been meaningless, Zamasu's immortality would have been completely forgotten. It would have been the "fanservice" ending, not the ending that Toriyama would have wanted (he always likes to subvert expectations). And it would have been full of plot holes (what about the Zeno button? What about Zamasu's immortality? Etc. etc. etc.).

You know it's funny, people always mock Super for being too fanservice-y, but then when it finally does something that subverts fans expectations, they still mock it. Super just can't win :think:

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:10 am

Resurrection of F (anime version and movie version... both are crap, but the movie is at least pretty)
Copy Vegeta (mega crap but it's art is better than anime RoF, so it's not the worst arc in DBS)
Galactic Patrol Prisoner Saga (boring)
Champa's Tournament (boring and ugly, Kaioken Blue is nice but it does not make any sense)
Battle of Gods (anime version is crap but still better than RoF and U6vsU7, the movie would be #1 but it's not DBS)
Tournament of Power (boring and repetitive, but at least it's not ugly)
Future Trunks Saga (Goku Black is the only good character in it and the first half of the arc is good, the rest is crap, ending is... ugh. Manga version is much, much, much better, but the ending is still stupid af)
Broly (the best so far from DBS, new Broly is great, Frieza was a little joke but that's his role now I guess...)

I'm not counting Survivor Granolah yet, but it's been mediocre so far.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:18 am

Surprised at how many people here are putting the Future Trunks arc as low tier. I agree, but I thought it was better received by fans.

Manga and movies:

(Worst)

Revival of F
Galactic Patrol Prisoner
Future Trunks

(decent gap)

U6 tournament
Battle of Gods (movie)
Broly
Tournament of Power

(Best)

Battle of Gods might have been above Broly if Broly didn't completely demolish it in terms of visuals and animation. I also think both the manga and anime didn't capitalise on some of battle of gods' more interesting concepts as well as they should have. I have the top 3 fairly close together.

Granolah arc at the start was looking to become my favourite arc and now that it seems like the awful pacing of the Moro arc is here to stay... I'm not so sure how I'll like it.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:14 pm

BOG < ROF < Champa < Moro < ToP < Zamasu

(Yeah I guess I'm one of the few who puts ROF over BOG)

Don't count with DBS Broly since its a movie and it's to hard ignore its insane visuals, which are above everything else from the franchise.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:09 pm

Mixing all continuities here:

RoF: disliked the movie, disliked the anime retelling, and it's skipped in the manga. Disliked the artwork, disliked the fighting, the story, everything, really. If Freeza wasn't brought back -again- for the ToP, I would have literally nothing good to say about this.

Champa arc: I really liked this in both media, I'm a chump for Champa, and the little tournament is nice. Never cared much for this U6 roster, though, except for Hit and Frost. The manga brings back SSG while the anime brings back kaioken, I love both ideas. I enjoyed this arc a lot, but I prefer arcs where the stakes are higher.

Moro arc: The stakes were fucking higher, but its pace and non-linear development is a problem. Moro starts great and then becomes boring, gets way too many breaks and has a boring crew. Goku coming back at the end with UI felt to me like if Gohan had bottled vs Cell and daddy had to come back for the final round. Liked Merus, and UI was incredible. Probably without it, I would've disliked this arc a lot.

Zamasu: Really liked what the anime did with Black and Zamasu, the manga doesn't have an interesting villain in this arc, not until Black and Zamasu fuse. The anime is too convoluted and it doesn't always make sense, and the manga would improve if the fights happened in a different order. Vegeta's God Switch is a nice way to keep SSG relevant when SSB becomes kinda useless, and the perfected form of SSB also works. Also, Vegito Blue. Greatly misused in the manga, but really nice in the anime.
Zamasu is a nice villain, mostly in the anime where Black shines, and it is refreshing to see a villain getting his wishes granted and basically winning. This is a good arc, even with its flaws.

BoG: I recently re-watched it and enjoyed it very much. The Pilaf Gang bores me to death, but the rest is really funny, Beerus rules. The fights aren't that great but they deliver. I'm not that happy with the new colours and shades, though, but the movie is fun and exciting enough.

ToP: I enjoyed the recruitment process in both media, the anime is a little longer and some stuff is just boring or lame(Watagash, the space zookeeper, Roshi) but there are really good ones like Goku training for UI at home. The tournament is also longer in a bad way in the anime and the manga is shorter, also, in a bad way, with big fights happening off screen. The manga is more coherent while the anime is much more exhilarating, specially the last few episodes, making up for its big flaws and nonsense, basically what I'm here for: excitement. Overall, a fun, amazing saga.

Broly: Loved the movie, amazing artwork and non-stop action. Hope there's no retelling to ruin it.

---

Granola arc: I predict this arc will fall in between the Moro arc and the Zamasu arc. At the moment, I'd put it between Zamasu and BoG.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:41 pm

(BEST)
Moro
Broly
BoG
Zamasu
U6
RoF
(WORST)

I liked them all, tho. Broly probably woulda been at the Top if it were longer and more explored... I'm sucker for art AND animation. Hell, I'd probably rank Broly and Moro above the Cell and Saiyin sagas, if I'm being honest. And that's no hate on those cuz I loved that shit as a kid.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:30 pm

(Best)
Battle of Gods
Broly
Resurrection F
Universe 6
Copy Vegeta
Zamasu
Tournament of Power
Both the manga exclusive arcs
(Worst)

I think once you get past the three movies, the quality dips immensely. The characters are flanderized for the most part. The animation sucks. The writing is patronizing to the viewer's intelligence. The adaptions of the first two movies are pretty much unwatchable because of the horrid pacing and animation.

The series pretty much became a saturday morning cartoon like the looney tunes with the tournament of power.

Right now, we're seeing Dragon Ball AF levels of quality in the manga exclusive stuff. It makes me sad to see the non-movie content just getting worse and worse.

I think movies and television specials are the best format for Dragon Ball going forward. High quality and they tend to trim the "fat" off, relying on the rules of show don't tell.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:54 am

I'm going to combine all continuities for this.

Battle of Gods

I actually like this arc but in the grand scheme of Super it is the weakest for me. All the Z fighters pretty much get tossed aside for Goku and Vegeta to take center stage and it hurts it IMO. In the movie, Goku vs Beerus is boring until the former loses Super Saiyan God. In the anime it gets extended and it's better but still not amazing.

Universe 6

This arc is only above Battle of Gods because of Piccolo vs Frost and Goku vs Hit in the anime. Piccolo using strategy to fight and almost beat Frost is brilliant, much better than just giving up and following orders like in the manga. Bringing back Kaioken for Goku and using it in combination with Super Saiyan Blue was simply awesome and the end of episode 39 is a series highlight. The only fight I liked better in the manga is Frost vs Goku.

Moro

A lot of missteps and wasted potential on this arc but I do love that the Z fighters got a chance to shine for a bit. I really like that Krillin, Yamcha and Chaoz got wins. Having Piccolo and Gohan fight together with Goku against a main villain was great. Boo fighting Moro was good, too bad it gets ruined by that ridiculous way to bring back Daio Kaioshin. Moro is meh, hopefully Toei improves him.

Resurrection F

If the Z fighters shined a bit in the Moro arc then they REALLY shined on this. The 100 soldier sequence in the movie is seriously one of my favorite of the whole franchise. The anime sequence wasn't great but the arc does other things to compensate like the return of Ginyu and a better Vegeta vs Freeza fight. Golden Freeza was a fantastic idea.

Broly

My favorite movie of the franchise. Breathtaking visuals and fights but most importantly, they fixed Broly. Gone is that moronic excuse for non canon Broly to hate Goku. Canon Broly rightfully hates Vegeta and doesn't even know Goku exists. He makes friends (Cheelai is bae), has good backstory and he isn't a dull maniac by the end of the film. I can't wait to see him return. Non canon Broly was my most hated Dragon Ball character but canon Broly is easily in my top 5 of favorites. Only negatives I have with the film is that some of the Z fighters should have gone and fought Broly while Goku and Vegeta fuse and Bardock's assault on Freeza should have been shown in full. Hopefully Toei corrects that.

Tournament of Power

This is as high as second place because of the anime of course. The manga version of this arc is really bad and rushed to hell. The anime version of this tournament is my second favorite tournament of the entire franchise. Everyone of the 10 Universe 7 fighters gets to shine in here, some more than others of course. A lot of the other universes get to do some cool stuff and some neat surprises were a delight like Kefla, Aniraza and God of Destruction Toppo. I think the only positive I can give the manga version is that it gave a little more backstory to Jiren, that's about it.

Zamasu

My favorite arc of Super and the franchise in general. I will never forget watching this arc while it aired and discussed every week the identity of Goku Black with friends. The anime did a fantastic job with that. Zamasu/Goku Black is my favorite villain of Dragon Ball without a question. He actually has depth and truly believes what he is doing is the right thing. This arc also has the notoriety of the heroes never beating the villain and real consequences to the events that happened. The return of Future Trunks and Vegetto was also fantastic. The manga arc isn't a dumpster like the Tournament of Power arc and it does have a few things I liked like having a more in depth flashback to Babidi's invasion in the Future timeline, Goku Black stabbing Gowasu and Completed Super Saiyan Blue Goku vs Fused Zamasu.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:04 am

Extremely difficult to do so considering all the different mediums the stories have been told in, but I'll break it into parts:

Movies:
Battle of Gods
Broly
Resurrection F

Anime:
Zamasu
Universe 6
Battle of Gods
Tournament of Power
Resurrection F

Manga:
Tournament of Power