Would It Have Been A Better Idea To Let Gohan Undergo The SSJG Ritual?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Would It Have Been A Better Idea To Let Gohan Undergo The SSJG Ritual?

Post by theherodjl » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:02 am

He was the strongest member of the team back then(not counting Vegeta's WTF "Muh Bulma!" rage boost) and he continues to remain the strongest guy on the team outside of Goku & Vegeta even now. Supposing Gohan had been the one to become the SSJG instead of Goku, just how much farther could he gone over his father? Especially if he had eventually learned SSJB?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Would It Have Been A Better Idea To Let Gohan Undergo The SSJG Ritual?

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:05 am

Doubt Gohan was the strongest. Movie 14 takes place four years after Majin Buu saga, meaning four years of Gohan without training. Enough time for him to be surpassed by both Goku and Vegeta. Just as quickly Gohan gets power, he loses it too.

Anyway, hopefully he gets Super Saiyan God eventually, either in Dragon Ball Super or Dragon Ball Heroes.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:32 am

The movie doesn't imply that Gohan is more powerful than Goku or Vegeta. Gohan originally even used regular old super saiyan in the early trailers, and nothing about his inclusion was changed conceptually from those other than recolouring his hair. Vegeta also thinks that confronting Beerus would be useless once he finds out that he defeated Goku. There's also Roshi saying Vegeta's even stronger than Goku after Vegeta gets a rage boost and does better than anyone else.

There's also the fact that super saiyan god is supposed to be a temporary transformation, and Goku retaining it is meant to be a testament to his skill as a fighter.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:47 am

Perhaps I worded it a little ambiguously. I'm not taking about Battle of Gods, the film. I'm referring to Gohan achieving it in DBS.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:01 am

Gohan still had access to his ultimate form, so even if his slacking off made him drop off the first place as the strongest, he still retains the greatest potential of the crew, as stated by Geets by the Champa arc, so eventually he'd be ahead of the saiyans.

He might be stronger than them in the god forms after the ritual and training with Whis, he mastered SS, so I guess he should master SSB as well. He might unlock SSBE, but we don't even know what that form is so who knows, if it depends on rage, then it'd be his trump card just like SS2 in Z was for him.

By the ToP, he'd probably be stronger than his father's SSB. By the Zamasu arc, he should be stronger than Merged Zamasu.
For the anime, Goku probably would need some form of KK to fight SSB Gohan, Vegeta would need SSBE.

But at some point, he'd struggle with UI and Goku would surpass him there. He would also not be able to get Ultra Ego, and end up having a really strong SSB form, probably as strong as Goku vs Saganbo. With SSBE he might've been able to fight Prime Moro on his own, and lose. After the angel and hakaishin techniques were introduced, his SSB or SSBE would be decent but useless.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:04 am

Then Gohan would get yet another free power up.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:45 am

Gohan was unreliable. Even after BoG, his power waned so hard that he could barely go Super Saiyan by the time of RoF. It would have honestly been a waste to give him the form. He likely would have just lost it completely after fighting Beerus. Also, by the time of BoG, his fighting technique wasn't anywhere close to Goku's. I think he's gotten sharper over the course of Super, but there's a chance even with SSG that he wouldn't impress Beerus enough to spare the Earth. It was Goku's attitude, tenacity, and fighting skills that impressed Beerus once he closed the gap with SSG. Gohan just isn't the same person.

He could legitimately be the strongest. Everyone, from Vegeta to Piccolo knows he still has great potential. He easily reaches Goku and Vegeta's level or surpasses it and at a much younger age. But he continuously slacks hard and even now, it kinda feels like he isn't reaching that deeply into his potential. The fact that he gained so much strength in two months during the Moro arc proves that he normally has something of a motivation issue.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Kamehamehadouken

Post by Kamehamehadouken » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:06 pm

Maybe. I think it would be better if Gohan had his own comedy or slice of life series rather than a random power up.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:16 pm

theherodjl wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:02 am He was the strongest member of the team back then(not counting Vegeta's WTF "Muh Bulma!" rage boost) and he continues to remain the strongest guy on the team outside of Goku & Vegeta even now. Supposing Gohan had been the one to become the SSJG instead of Goku, just how much farther could he gone over his father? Especially if he had eventually learned SSJB?
Gohan is only that strong when he has the will to be, and they've written him into a position where he has no desire or will to improve and be that strong, he's more concerned with his work and his family. If something happened where all the other fighters died and the Earth was in danger, Gohan would probably be able to push himself beyond the limits of his father, but I think that's the only way it would happen. He's just not a fighter.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:16 pm

No. It would run counter to what he represents.

One of the things distinguishing Gohan from his fellow Saiyan and half-Saiyan characters is that he doesn't need transformations to grow stronger. Those are progression markers for Goku and Vegeta, but as of the Boo arc and throughout Super, Gohan's progression is deliberately without them. That's how he intends to evolve; he says it outright during the manga's Tournament of Power.

Giving him a Super Saiyan God form would kind of undermine all of that.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:20 pm

He might have been stronger than Goku in the movie but he's leagues below Goku when it comes to skill. Even Freeza who only trained 4 months in his entire life, out skill him hard in the anime when they faced that U2 Yadart.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:23 pm

If Toriyama wanted Gohan to be as powerful as Goku and Vegeta, or even surpass them, he could do it instantly. We know Gohan has the potential. If he doesn't achieve that, it's because his personality gets in the way.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:16 am

Gohan shouldn't need a god ritual. He should be a power house as ultimate or as a Super Saiyan 2.

If he really trained vigorously, even for a little while, he should be able to surpass Goku and Vegeta with his natural power - Like Trunks did. It doesn't seem like he has come close to hitting his ceiling of power yet. He just doesn't keep up with training because he's a graduate student/researcher.

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:33 am

As ridiculous as it is, Battle of Gods occurs 4 years after the events of the Buu Saga which is enough time for Goku, at the very least, to surpass both Gotenks and Gohan. There are some implications already given such as Goku and Vegeta only being considered potential candidates of Super Saiyan God by Beerus, Goku and Vegeta believing the situation to be completely hopeless since Goku was so easily defeated, and Goku serving as a benchmark for Vegeta to be compared to after his rage boost.

I'm not at all surprised that Goku was selected because he was the strongest of the group.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:42 pm

Goku9001 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:33 am As ridiculous as it is, Battle of Gods occurs 4 years after the events of the Buu Saga which is enough time for Goku, at the very least, to surpass both Gotenks and Gohan. There are some implications already given such as Goku and Vegeta only being considered potential candidates of Super Saiyan God by Beerus, Goku and Vegeta believing the situation to be completely hopeless since Goku was so easily defeated, and Goku serving as a benchmark for Vegeta to be compared to after his rage boost.

I'm not at all surprised that Goku was selected because he was the strongest of the group.
I think that's enough time for Goku and Vegeta to take the top spots again. Perhaps they shattered whatever limits they had during the 7 year time skip when they fought Buu or maybe even when they fused. Combine that with Gohan neglecting his training again and I can see how they'd surpass him by a good margin.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:22 pm

He might have had more raw power than Goku and Vegeta, but Goku and Vegeta are also better trained fighters. So I think they made the right choice.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:13 am

Gohan would not be a good candidate to introduce a new form, because his potential would surpass a new limit given by the ritual, so his appearance would be the same when he unleashes it. What Gohan needs to do is to work hard and to avoid being given new power ups. It makes him arrogant and lose to his opponent.