Does the ritual make Super Saiyan God far stronger?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Does the ritual make Super Saiyan God far stronger?

Post by Shintoki » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:13 am

we know toriyama said that the form is not a fixed level of power and varries by its user, and that its power is borrowed and amped by the ritual
...Goku basically only thinks of fighting as a sporting match, so borrowing the power of five people isn’t fair, and he resisted doing that; however, it seems his curiosity towards the realm that lay even further beyond him won out.

Is it possible that other Saiyans will be able to become [Super Saiyan] God in the future?

Of course. However, strength will vary depending on the battle power of the Saiyan who becomes [Super Saiyan] God.
of course, we know that the ritual is temporary and thus that power runs out. but now we have goku and vegeta who can use the SSG form without the ritual that borrows others' powers and amp it into SSG. wouldn't it mean that the ritual version is far superior because it's the power of multiple people amped as one instead of one person?

:think: for me, it at least explains why and how goku fared that good against beerus.
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: does the ritual make SSG far stronger?

Post by BWri » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:42 pm

I think so. Someone convinced me of this recently and it makes sense especially regarding Toriyama-san's original 6 - 10 - 15 power scale.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:42 am

I don't believe that power scale has even been in effect for several years now: It was just a quick & convenient figure that Toriyama made up to describe how far apart Goku, Beerus, and Whis were in the context of the BOG film. However, multiple changes have been made to the character's strength since then. Goku & Vegeta have massive power buffs over SSJG that push them dozens of times higher and as far as Toei is concerned, Goku has had the power of a SSJG just as a SSJ since the BOG arc.
Trying to work the old formula into the current power creep just creates more problems than it's worth.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:50 pm

In the manga? Almost certainly not.

Goku declares that he can become even stronger than what the form offers at the end of the BoG mini-arc, dialogue proceeds to mention in subsequent arcs that they've surpassed even Super Saiyan God via Blue, and the Universe Survival arc is explicit about Super Saiyan God still being a challenge for (or "on the level of") your average God of Destruction. Given that sort of linear progression, an SSG nerf isn't likely at all.

The TV anime is practically on par with DB Heroes in terms of having an inconsistent, almost completely unstructured power scale, so any theory applied to that version of Super is fair game; which is to say it's simultaneously totally valid and totally pointless. I'd argue it was the very first Super Saiyan form that was buffed and later nerfed back to normal levels after Toei realized it wasn't jiving with the narrative.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:50 pm

Yeah, what Baggins said. The ritual, especially in the movie, just barely scrapes Goku up to a point where he can make Beerus sweat slightly. Goku can barely even sustain God for the whole fight so you get a sense that he is not naturally "levelled up" enough to wield the godly power. No stamina problems in either Super continuity, but as Baggins said, manga Goku sees the ritual as merely the first stepping stone. With a little bit of angel-assisted training, Goku and Vegeta are able to greatly surpass Super Saiyan God without any hippie handholding.

The anime really is very strange with how it initially presents God's power. I mean, you have all that wackiness about Goku and Beerus making giant susanoo dragons and shaking the universe apart with their fists, with many indications that Goku was genuinely pushing Beerus to go all out. Neither Super Saiyan God or Super Saiyan Blue ever do anything that impressive ever again -- it's not until Ultra Instinct that we get that level of spectacle.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:52 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:50 pm Yeah, what Baggins said. The ritual, especially in the movie, just barely scrapes Goku up to a point where he can make Beerus sweat slightly. Goku can barely even sustain God for the whole fight so you get a sense that he is not naturally "levelled up" enough to wield the godly power. No stamina problems in either Super continuity, but as Baggins said, manga Goku sees the ritual as merely the first stepping stone. With a little bit of angel-assisted training, Goku and Vegeta are able to greatly surpass Super Saiyan God without any hippie handholding.

The anime really is very strange with how it initially presents God's power. I mean, you have all that wackiness about Goku and Beerus making giant susanoo dragons and shaking the universe apart with their fists, with many indications that Goku was genuinely pushing Beerus to go all out. Neither Super Saiyan God or Super Saiyan Blue ever do anything that impressive ever again -- it's not until Ultra Instinct that we get that level of spectacle.
Right! The likely truth is that the 6-10-15 scale was dropped as Baggins said, but logically, there is enough fuel there (the feats you mention in the second paragraph) to determine that the initial use of SSG is far superior to most, if not all of Goku's current forms. This avoids the out-of-univere idea that Beerus himself possesses a sliding power scale. It's the simplest way of making sense of the power scale without resorting to the idea that Beerus has been training off-screen this entire time or that he just held back to a small percentage of his total power which would make the ritual seem much more pointless.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:55 am

SSG may be stronger than RoF SSB but not after that.
The anime powerscaling is better with episode like Monaka vs Goku where base Goku give Beerus a pretty good sparring match.
And it's heavily implied in the anime that Goku was near Beerus in power during U6 arc and enemy that surpass Beerus appeared in FT arc.

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:53 am

It's possible and I think it makes the most sense given the implications made in the Broly movie. Even the manga makes the suggestion that Super Saiyan is strong relative to Super Saiyan God, given how well Goku performed against Hit. I believe it makes the most sense that the SSJG multiplier is much lower after the ritual had been performed. With that in mind, we would have to assume that Goku's respective forms got a significant boost by default, but obviously nowhere near the extent that it was in the anime.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:46 pm

The moment Goku said that SSB was the power of SSG in Super Saiyan form is when Battle of Gods' level was reached or surpassed in Resurrection of F. Transforming into Super Saiyan with the power of God still burning in him against Beers was the prototype of SSB. The latter was reached by having Goku exert himself to a God's level in his training with Whis. The ritual has merely stretched Goku's level to a point that he can exert to without transforming. When he does so, instead of Super Saiyan, he becomes Blue.

Aim
Banned

Re: Does the ritual make Super Saiyan God far stronger?

Post by Aim » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:00 pm

Shintoki wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:13 am we know toriyama said that the form is not a fixed level of power and varries by its user, and that its power is borrowed and amped by the ritual
...Goku basically only thinks of fighting as a sporting match, so borrowing the power of five people isn’t fair, and he resisted doing that; however, it seems his curiosity towards the realm that lay even further beyond him won out.

Is it possible that other Saiyans will be able to become [Super Saiyan] God in the future?

Of course. However, strength will vary depending on the battle power of the Saiyan who becomes [Super Saiyan] God.
of course, we know that the ritual is temporary and thus that power runs out. but now we have goku and vegeta who can use the SSG form without the ritual that borrows others' powers and amp it into SSG. wouldn't it mean that the ritual version is far superior because it's the power of multiple people amped as one instead of one person?

:think: for me, it at least explains why and how goku fared that good against beerus.
It might be a fixed level of power, but it would depend on the users power.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:48 am

The ritual didnt rely on power transfer, it just needed pure hearted saiyans, otherwise Videl wouldn't have been able to help.

As for how Vegeta managed to achieve the transformation without the ritual, maybe the ritual causes something specific to happen in the target Saiyan that Whis was able to teach him to do on his own?

And Goku did well against Beerus because Beerus wasn't using his full power, no where near it, he was just testing Goku. Beerus has never used his full power against Goku or Vegeta and they still can't beat him, so not much has really changed in that area. I feel confident if Beerus wanted to destroy Goku and Vegeta he'd had very little trouble doing so, even if they used Ultra Ego Instinct Gogeta against him.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:16 am

Vegeta not doing the ritual is anime-only. At the end of BoG, it's implied he'll get to do it. And in RoF, he already has SSB. Don't remember how it goes in the manga, probably like in the movie.

So, basically, Toriyama's underlying intention is there is no other way to get the form than through the ritual, or at least that both SSG around, did it through the ritual.
The only "edge" Goku (or the original SSG from BoG) might have over Geets is that he received a big power boost from the failed ritual, so his SSG form was on top of a really strong base form, which Vegeta probably didn't get to experience.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:14 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:16 am Vegeta not doing the ritual is anime-only. At the end of BoG, it's implied he'll get to do it. And in RoF, he already has SSB. Don't remember how it goes in the manga, probably like in the movie.
Courtesy of Cipher, this is what the V Jump transformation guide says:
Originally, this is a form achieved by concentrating the power of many Saiyans. However, Goku and Vegeta become able to transform on their own!
The implication here, presumably, is that Goku and Vegeta found another (permanent) way to achieve it after BoG. God ki? S-Cells? It's anyone's guess.

Of course, that's all supplementary and not something directly expounded on in the manga. In DBZ: Kakarot's version of events, Vegeta ironically gets it from the ritual.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:24 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:16 am Vegeta not doing the ritual is anime-only. At the end of BoG, it's implied he'll get to do it. And in RoF, he already has SSB. Don't remember how it goes in the manga, probably like in the movie.

So, basically, Toriyama's underlying intention is there is no other way to get the form than through the ritual, or at least that both SSG around, did it through the ritual.
The only "edge" Goku (or the original SSG from BoG) might have over Geets is that he received a big power boost from the failed ritual, so his SSG form was on top of a really strong base form, which Vegeta probably didn't get to experience.
Not really, Vegeta achieves the power by himself, obviously with the help of Whis. We don’t know exactly how, though the movies hint towards them becoming ‘god-like’ in their base forms which results in SSGSS when they transform into SS. In the anime it’s hinted they learned to access god ki through some kind of ki control.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:33 pm

I really doubt it, as Son Goku, Vegeta, and/or any other character capable of rational thinking and/or capable of sensing Godly Ki would have made a comment about any possible power boost differences in-between the two known different ways in order to achieve Super Saiyan God.