Who Commissioned the kid friendly Super Funi dub?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Who Commissioned the kid friendly Super Funi dub?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:44 am

It aired in Australia and the UK, but does Funimation always do kid friendly dubs of Dragon Ball or did someone really did commissioned it?

I would love it if it was The CW who did but I doubt it, same for Nicktoons.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Who Commissioned the kid friendly Super Funi dub?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:01 am

It was most likely Funimation, they always do TV-safe edits of their dubs as a backup in case no network is interested in the uncut version. Chris Sabat said on one occasion they also have a kid friendly version of Kai TFC, which hasn't been released as no broadcasters have been interested.

I don't think the networks pay for Funimation to make edits, but they may, at their discretion accept or decline the edits made in the version of a dub they are offered. We know that before Pop picked up Super a lot of UK broadcasters turned it down for being "too violent", so clearly for whatever reason they weren't happy even with the changes Funimation made to make Super more accessible for kids (which wasn't much because Super is a very tame show anyway, but luckily Pop picked it up and proved it's perfectly fine for kids to watch).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:17 am

Lets make a thread for Kid Friendly Kai TFC lol! Just kidding. I love you man, I can always count on you to post in my threads.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:02 am

Do we know if an dialogue track exists beyond episode 52? Pop seemingly switched to the Toonami version (with their own cuts, obviously) after that first "season".
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:01 am It was most likely Funimation, they always do TV-safe edits of their dubs as a backup in case no network is interested in the uncut version.
That seems like the best explanation to me; they banked an edited dialogue track because they didn't know which channel would pick it up (maybe stopping once Adult Swim were on board) and then sent that out when a kid-friendly version was requested. It would explain the more paranoid changes, the rewriting of scenes that could have just been cut and the lack of animation edits. The plan could even have been to swap out specific lines depending on the standards of the eventual broadcaster.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:45 am

For anyone interested this edited version of the Super dub is also airing on Pop in Pakistan.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:23 pm

Toei probably ask for it in case if another network wants to air Super on non-cable TV.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/