How would you feel about a Bardock series?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: How would you feel about a Bardock series?

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:51 pm

Annoyed and disgusted, Barduck is a small character in the large story of DB, he doesn't need any more exposure than a very minor character should get to acomplish their function in the story. He's a footnote and should remain as such.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:28 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:51 pm Annoyed and disgusted, Barduck is a small character in the large story of DB, he doesn't need any more exposure than a very minor character should get to acomplish their function in the story. He's a footnote and should remain as such.
So many fans flat out don't understand that Bardock's significance in the story is ironically rooted in the fact that he is insignificant.

The more you add emphasis to Badrock's role in Goku's journey and origin and water down Bardock's characterisation, the more it thematically tears apart Goku's journey as a martial artist, and quite frankly, the story as a whole.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:04 pm

I had the idea of an episode/chapter where Goku runs into an alien of around his age who has Bardock's reincarnated soul. And now they live their life as a good person which was impossible to do under Saiyan culture and Freeza. Maybe they could have Bardock's scar or something like that as a visual signifier, but neither of them have to know what the actual situation is. Heck, the story doesn't even need to make it too obvious! It could have been a filler episode when Goku is trying to get back to earth to fight Moro after training with Merus.

I always found the whole souls cleanse + reincarnation aspect of the lore pretty interesting. It only really has any effect on the story at the very end with Oob.

Rouge the Bat
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rouge the Bat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:32 pm

Well, as far as I am concerned, I'd prefer to read a new manga dealing with Universe 6, I mean the equivalent of DB but for Universe 6 (I don't know who would be the main character) telling a story leading at least to the beginning of DB SUPER (U6 / U7 tournament) and drawn by Dragon Garow Lee if possible (who could copy all of Toriyama's styles as far as the manga goes on)!!...

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:37 pm

Trouser wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:48 am Well, he would become even more heroic and I like him the best when he is a murderous bastard, a nobody, not a hero. But if it becomes reality, then I'd stick around (at least I can get a good laugh with creators stupid decisions). A series about Bardock killing innocent fodder would be nice, he doesn't need to be "good", the writing must be but last time we had something good (in the main continuity, the "c" word is sacred) was back in 2013.
Fenyo_n or Dragon Garow Lee would be the best for this job. They are so much better than Toyotarou. And I'm not sure if Toriyama on board is a good or bad idea... Probably bad idea but without him it's not going to be Holy Canon (aw shit, I've used the "c" word...).
Dragon Garow Lee had his chapters go through multiple revisions/rejections and it was delayed‬ often. He’s good, but couldn't work on their schedule they wanted @ Jump+.

I think the reason why they stick with Toyotaro is because he’s been able to pump out 45 pages a month on a consistent basis. Also probably why they haven’t got rid of Nagayama doing the Heroes Manga (since his art isn’t anything to write home about either) They have an established workflow & momentum.

Perhaps after EoZ if they "rebrand/switch" series/titles (I guess) that can be the perfect opportunity to try someone new.

But again is Shueisha/Dragonball room looking for other talent to add to the team? I’ve always wondered who would draw the manga if Toyo got sick or something. Giving the guy an assistant to help would be a step in the right direction.

If I had it my way instead of hoping Toyotaro gets better I’d choose a new mangaka entirely. Would probably be Fenyo or even Owzki based off that small spin off manga she did of the Broly crew. However both are untested in delivering chapters on a consistent basis :(

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:17 pm

It might be interesting if Toriyama wrote it and it's about a younger Bardock, before he married Gine.

I'd rather have a Galactic Patrol series with the Z fighters as GP members, or a series about Future Trunks but with his design from Z.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:30 pm

Only if it were Toei Bardock and made in the 90's. Such a series would be decidedly unDragon Ball though, but I'd enjoy it.
Cipher wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:51 pm Going to go ahead and vote no on a full series starring a vaguely sympathetic participant in interplanetary genocide.

Not with the level of nuance it could be given as a DB-spin-off anyway.
Amen!
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:57 am

I wouldn't mind a Saiyan society focused series perhaps with Vegeta and Nappa, or Freeza, as main characters, but I wouldn't want anything other than a few cameos from Bardock if that.

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:20 pm

Please no. I have had enough of Toei Bardock, and Toriyama Bardock served his purpose.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.