How would you feel about a Bardock series?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

How would you feel about a Bardock series?

Post by Peach » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:47 pm

Anyone else starting to want a Bardock series after all this new Bardock content in Super?

Bardock could start off as a solider who dislikes Frieza and slowly starts to distrust Frieza and his men. Helping various people he's set to conquer and undermining the empire in subtle ways. Then by the end of the series, it could escalate into a full scale rebellion and adaptation of the Bardock special..

Plus, it could be cool to see old faces back. Zarbon, Dodoria, the Ginyu Force, Cui, Nappa, Raditz, King Vegeta, Bardock's squad. It could be an interesting time to incorporate a canon Cooler and show how King Cold knows about Beerus & Buu. We could see Beerus authorize Frieza to destroy Planet Vegeta on screen finally as well.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: How would you feel about a Bardock series?

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:53 pm

A more fleshed out Bardock would make me like the character again.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:13 pm

"Starting"? No. I've been wanting a Bardock series for as long as I know myself.

It would be great if the series actually started with a teenager Bardock, as we see him getting the iconic scar. Maybe showing for a brief moment his parents (possibly his siblings), how he met Gine and a few missions of them together before a timeskip. All of this could be, like, five or ten minutes into the show, nothing that drags or anything. Though I'd like that Bardock and Gine could get a proper screentime since their relationship isn't common among Saiyans.

It would be cool if, despite being a Bardock series, we could also get more of the Saiyans in general and a King Vegeta story as well. Or just do a King Vegeta series too, but that would feel kinda redundant. It's becoming a bit annoying that they keep mentioning Tarble but he never appears, so there's that.

The headband is a must, no matter what. It must depict Bardock getting it.

End it with a silhouette of someone seemingly saving Bardock when he's caught by Freeza's technique...
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:31 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:13 pm "Starting"? No. I've been wanting a Bardock series for as long as I know myself.

It would be great if the series actually started with a teenager Bardock, as we see him getting the iconic scar. Maybe showing for a brief moment his parents (possibly his siblings), how he met Gine and a few missions of them together before a timeskip. All of this could be, like, five or ten minutes into the show, nothing that drags or anything. Though I'd like that Bardock and Gine could get a proper screentime since their relationship isn't common among Saiyans.

It would be cool if, despite being a Bardock series, we could also get more of the Saiyans in general and a King Vegeta story as well. Or just do a King Vegeta series too, but that would feel kinda redundant. It's becoming a bit annoying that they keep mentioning Tarble but he never appears, so there's that.

The headband is a must, no matter what. It must depict Bardock getting it.

End it with a silhouette of someone seemingly saving Bardock when he's caught by Freeza's technique...
And the best part is that all of that would be considerably low-stakes compared to the rest of the series. They would be powerful fighters, but nowhere near as godlike powerful enough to warrant "how the hell is this working on him?". I seriously appreciate the idea.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:51 pm

Going to go ahead and vote no on a full series starring a vaguely sympathetic participant in interplanetary genocide.

Not with the level of nuance it could be given as a DB-spin-off anyway.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:48 am

Well, he would become even more heroic and I like him the best when he is a murderous bastard, a nobody, not a hero. But if it becomes reality, then I'd stick around (at least I can get a good laugh with creators stupid decisions). A series about Bardock killing innocent fodder would be nice, he doesn't need to be "good", the writing must be but last time we had something good (in the main continuity, the "c" word is sacred) was back in 2013.
Fenyo_n or Dragon Garow Lee would be the best for this job. They are so much better than Toyotarou. And I'm not sure if Toriyama on board is a good or bad idea... Probably bad idea but without him it's not going to be Holy Canon (aw shit, I've used the "c" word...).
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:09 am

Not a whole series, but a new canonical TV special supervised by Toriyama about Bardock’s life would be cool, I think. It could also explore Saiyan culture furthermore.

It would be cool, for example, if Bardock was himself a rocket baby who was sent to another planet as a kid and wiped it out.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:22 am

emperior wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:09 am Not a whole series, but a new canonical TV special supervised by Toriyama about Bardock’s life would be cool, I think. It could also explore Saiyan culture furthermore.

It would be cool, for example, if Bardock was himself a rocket baby who was sent to another planet as a kid and wiped it out.
exactly, just like Goku was sent to Earth to destroy it, Bardock's arrival on this planet could represent what could have happened to the Earth if Goku never bumped his head as a baby.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:30 am

A series? Unnecessary. But two or three episodes would be nice.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:34 am

I would like it if it included King Vegeta as well. But not a series, a few episodes or a TV Special would work.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:20 pm

Unnecessary to the nth degree.

The 1990 TV special was the perfect supplementary material for the character. Bardock needs nothing more. Every new bit of material that has given Bardock significant screentime has been dogshit and has done more to not only harm the character but also unique aspects of the original story.

From Episode Of Bardock to Dragon Ball Minus to Dragon Ball Super... every time Bardock is reintroduced in a major fashion it just gets worse and worse and worse.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:43 pm

Not really, I want this franchise to move on forward. There's 11 new Universes to explore and we don't need to recycle the same story we more or less know. I guess a special if DBS returns about Bardock's origins could be interesting, but only this.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:20 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:20 pm From Episode Of Bardock to Dragon Ball Minus to Dragon Ball Super... every time Bardock is reintroduced in a major fashion it just gets worse and worse and worse.
Episode of Bardock? Can I ask what is wrong with it that you consider "worse"? Just curious.
Xeogran wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:43 pm Not really, I want this franchise to move on forward. There's 11 new Universes to explore and we don't need to recycle the same story we more or less know. I guess a special if DBS returns about Bardock's origins could be interesting, but only this.
From what we've seen, the 11 Universes are even more boring than our own 7th Universe.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:49 pm

Trouser wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:20 pm From what we've seen, the 11 Universes are even more boring than our own 7th Universe.
That's not true. We know nothing about the 4 exempt ones, except that U12 came up with a Time Machine of their own, which is already an interesting plot point. They must have a genius scientist on the level of Future Bulma.

The ones that participated in ToP were also underutilized, U2 has a Yardrat and what was he doing there? Lots of questions to answer.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:54 pm

Trouser wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:20 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:20 pm From Episode Of Bardock to Dragon Ball Minus to Dragon Ball Super... every time Bardock is reintroduced in a major fashion it just gets worse and worse and worse.
Episode of Bardock? Can I ask what is wrong with it that you consider "worse"? Just curious. From what we've seen, the 11 Universes are even more boring than our own 7th Universe.
Dragon Ball Minus.

And his reintroduction in Dragon Ball Super sealed the deal for me and made me actively wish Toei never bothered creating the 1990 TV special, to begin with.

Just for context, I talk about all of the material that have Badock as the central figure a few years ago, and my point(s) still stands.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:41 pm

I thought the Bardock scenes in the Broly movie went on for about 3x longer than they should have, so no. I don't think there's really anything interesting about Bardock.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:02 am

I would say no but ever since Toriyama & Toyotaro suddenly decided that Bardock also played some role in the lives of Granolah, Monaito, and Gas, why not? Perhaps we may also have a series in which the Farmer with the shotgun saved a very young Bulma from being killed by a tiger, leading to Bulma remembering him and then crafting some nearly unstoppable mecha that is designed to look like the Farmer?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:02 am

I'll have to pass on that. I infinitely prefer the Z Bardock, and this would most definitely not be that.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:09 am

I like how the comic is currently using Bardock in small doses. I think that we should save Bardock's storylines for places where they can intersect and affect Gokuu's character arc.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:18 pm

Thani wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:31 pmAnd the best part is that all of that would be considerably low-stakes compared to the rest of the series. They would be powerful fighters, but nowhere near as godlike powerful enough to warrant "how the hell is this working on him?". I seriously appreciate the idea.
Yeah, I imagine a scenario like this would be a treat for those who care about power level. Probably even I would try to pay attention and to make sense of that (even though I don't care about power level in the slightest), as everything would be as "realistic" as it can be.

Glad you appreciate the idea, though! Hopefully they turn it into a reaility. :thumbup:
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~