Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 78 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 78 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:26 am

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 78

ガスの願い
Gasu no Negai
Gas' Wish

-------------------------------

Release Information:

JAPAN:
Date: November 20, 2021
Publication: V-Jump, January 2022 Issue
Cost: ¥600

(V-Jump is forward-dated two months from its actual release window. Issues are released on the 21st of each month, barring a Sunday or a holiday, in which case the issue gets moved up a day appropriately. As November 21st is a Sunday, this means the issue is coming out on Saturday, November 20.)

INTERNATIONAL:
Date: November 19, 2021 (timed to the JP midnight-on-November-20th release)
Publication: Digital (Viz/Shonen Jump + Manga Plus)
Cost: Free

FIRST OFFICIAL TEASE:
As part of the "Weekly Dragon Ball News" segment on November 8, Victory Uchida (Shueisha employee/mascot, and editor for the Dragon Ball Super manga working alongside Toyotaro and Akira Toriyama) displayed a page/panel tease for the upcoming drafts on screen, which will (tentatively) be shared on November 13. From what little we can see in this preview, Toronbo (the presumed name of this dragon, as extracted from the syllables used to make a wish to this specific dragon when compared to those spoken to Porunga) states, "You, who have gathered the two Dragon Balls. You may state your wish." In response, Elec says, "I don't believe it. So this is the wish-granting dragon...!"

STORYBOARDS/DRAFTS:
The first several pages of any given chapter's roughs/storyboards/drafts have been posted on the official Dragon Ball website for quite some time now (in all likelihood done in an attempt to combat piracy and control the narrative by releasing teases of specific information and context at their own discretion). The drafts for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 78 were posted on November 13. As these specific articles are generally removed from the website upon the chapter's formal release, archived versions of these links (such as this) are generally shared by fandom.

-------------------------------

THREAD/DISCUSSION INFORMATION

This is the "official" discussion thread for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 78. All content regarding this specific chapter would be great to include here in this thread, rather than the dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread. Posts that are specific to the individual chapter in the gigantic thread with no relevance to the larger series will be reported and/or removed.

Q: What is the history behind a [blank]-specific discussion thread?

A: We established episode-specific discussion threads beginning with Dragon Ball Kai in 2011, followed by the Dragon Ball Super television series in 2015. These episode-specific threads allowed people to discuss just that: those specific episodes, without being interrupted by other discussions regarding general production, promotion, etc. We didn't create corresponding Dragon Ball Super manga chapter threads at its debut due to the nature of its production: it was initially billed as a "comicalization" of the television series, and the first arc barely stood on its own as a unique production, rather than supplemental/incidental/disposable. We had kept the larger thread out of inertia from those earlier chapters, and have wavered for literal years over whether or not to separate them out.

Q: We've had worthwhile individual chapters since chapter five. This is absurd. Why are you just starting individual discussion threads something like six years into the manga, when the TV series had it from the start?

A: All of that is correct. Maybe we will go back and pull out threads for past chapters. Maybe we won't. We should have done this a long time ago. Better late than never. This is the plan for now on and is not currently up for discussion or reconsideration. Thank you.

Q: OK, but... so what's the point?

A: At Kanzenshuu we believe in history and preservation. It is worthwhile to future versions of ourselves and entirely new future fans to be able to dig back and find real-time reactions to specific productions (such as a specific episode or chapter). It's much easier to do this when the discussions are separated into these unique threads.

Q: When will new threads be created?

A: Threads for new/upcoming manga chapters will be created by a Kanzenshuu administrator at an appropriate point in time following the release of a previous chapter, and ahead of that next chapter's release schedule (which itself includes the official drafts/storyboards).

Q: OK, so what do you expect us to actually discuss in a chapter thread, particularly ahead of its release?

A: For some time now, Shueisha (in all likelihood to combat "leaks" and illegal piracy) has released "draft" pages of upcoming chapters in the two weeks leading up to any given chapter's release. These are official pieces of information dissemination and absolutely up for discussion. We welcome questions about where and how to legally and officially consume the manga. We do not condone nor allow the discussion or encouragement of piracy. Following a chapter's release, of course anything relating to that chapter and its contents are up for discussion in a specific thread.

Q: What kinds of "sources" can we discuss?

A: You can discuss whatever you want, so long as it lives up to the community guidelines. It is recommended that you link to / discuss actual sources of information, rather than second-hand accounts. Twitter and its users are not "sources" of information. Shueisha has its own official Dragon Ball website and weekly news broadcast on YouTube, which will in all likelihood be your actual primary sources of information leading up to a chapter's release.

Q: What if I have something to say about another chapter that's not this chapter?

A: Is what you have to say/ask/post even tangentially related to this chapter? That's fine. Does it have absolutely nothing to do with this chapter? Post it elsewhere. These chapter-specific threads do not automatically close after a new chapter comes out; you are free to keep discussing a specific chapter for as long as you all feel like talking about it.

Q: So what do we do with the big/main thread?

A: The dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread is still perfect for overall/holistic discussion regarding the manga, its production, its promotion, its content relation to other parts of the franchise, etc.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

jd55513
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 78 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by jd55513 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:43 am

However I think we will see the "worst wish in history"
As for a knowledge oriented wish, they may make the following: Wish for the greatest army in the universe(which is a amped up 0G-73 army) which fufills thier wish of having an army in the first place
OR They wish to know everything, essentially they wish for all the knowledge Zuno has. This could immediately be dangerous, as "knowing everything" is rather vague, it could include all techniques and weaknesses? etc.

I do think they will make multiple wishes to accomplish whatever thing they desire, whether its strictly power, knowledge or something in between, like with Granolah, Toronbo seems to require a “monkey paw” or equivalent exchange to make such powerful request.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:17 am

This one releases on saturday the 20th right? It's really right around the corner, I'm not feeling each chapter takes forever to come out.

I hope this one really takes as to the next part of the arc, but the wish is going to be the cliffhanger. Probably we'll get the wish asked, and chapter 79 will tell us if Toronbo can do it or not, or if they'll offer some help like they did with Granola's wish.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:37 pm

What’s gonna happen to this thread when the following chapter is released?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:42 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:37 pm What’s gonna happen to this thread when the following chapter is released?
The same thing as past episode threads - it continues to exist for ongoing discussion regarding this specific chapter.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:32 pm

jd55513 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:43 am However I think we will see the "worst wish in history"
As for a knowledge oriented wish, they may make the following: Wish for the greatest army in the universe(which is a amped up 0G-73 army) which fufills thier wish of having an army in the first place
OR They wish to know everything, essentially they wish for all the knowledge Zuno has. This could immediately be dangerous, as "knowing everything" is rather vague, it could include all techniques and weaknesses? etc.

I do think they will make multiple wishes to accomplish whatever thing they desire, whether its strictly power, knowledge or something in between, like with Granolah, Toronbo seems to require a “monkey paw” or equivalent exchange to make such powerful request.
I'm expecting Elec to wish for this too, and become some kind of all knowing god. Which will backfire and drive him insane

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:51 pm

They already got a lot of knowledge from Zuno, I expect and hope for a wish with immediate impact that puts their plans in motion.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:54 pm

Probably this will be one of Monaito's last chapters. He's old, and Toronbo probably will grant this wish and be removed from the story one way or another.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:30 pm

This is actually cool and I welcome this decision, because in general discussion, people get sidetracked or the general topic gets big and getting back after few days is hard.

I wonder what wish Gas gets, strongest warrior to get toe to toe with main characters, Granola and Freeza?
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:15 pm

I know the disclaimer in the OP is there for legal reasons, but we have a pretty credible leaker in our forum dumping chapter summaries every month. Are we supposed to ignore them?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:39 pm

Yuji wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:15 pm I know the disclaimer in the OP is there for legal reasons, but we have a pretty credible leaker in our forum dumping chapter summaries every month. Are we supposed to ignore them?
If what an individual posts on the forum here is worthwhile and accurate, their posts right here are/is the primary source(s) -- and that's fine to discuss, provided that it's text-only (real information about real-world productions is fine to discuss), rather than including actual visuals from stolen merchandise.

I know it's a weird distinction to make, but thank you for understanding and abiding.

(For what it's worth, I didn't include the "disclaimer" for "legal reasons" -- I wrote it because it's the right thing to do and the right way to act as fans.)

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:01 pm

This is a good move. Finding old stuff i posted is difficult under the previous model.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:15 pm

They are likely going to wish back 7-3 which is why the Heaters ask Granolah to find him. Elec could be the real creator of 7-3.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:36 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:15 pm They are likely going to wish back 7-3 which is why the Heaters ask Granolah to find him. Elec could be the real creator of 7-3.
But weren't the guys Granola stole 7-3 from, the people that built them and had an army of them at their disposal? I might've assumed that, or maybe it was stated, I don't remember.

Also, 7-3 isn't dead, he was regaining his full form slowly, probably by now he should be fully recovered. But they could wish for something 7-3 related.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:47 am

I have a feeling that Elec has a plan to betray his whole squad, if this story wraps up with him being loyal to his crew up until his death or imprisonment, I'd be surprised for sure.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:51 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:47 am I have a feeling that Elec has a plan to betray his whole squad, if this story wraps up with him being loyal to his crew up until his death or imprisonment, I'd be surprised for sure.
Considering how Elec's "squad" are literally his siblings, him betraying them would be pretty damn evil.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:01 pm

Oh they're related? I guess I missed that part. Even still though there's something about him that gives off slime ball energy.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:37 pm

Maybe they are brothers like Goku and Krilin are brothers... because Gas looks like Buu and Elecc and the rest looks like regular people... with pointy ears.

They have similar eyes, hair and ears, but Gas has no nose. Maybe they are from the same race but not actually related.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:01 pm

I don't want 7-3 to be the final villain of this arc because he would probably rehash Moro with his copy powers.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:08 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:47 am I have a feeling that Elec has a plan to betray his whole squad
I sure hope not, that would just be a rehash of Moro betraying Cranberry. I want the authors to focus not on predictable twists, but on a competent story.