Opinion: There’s Enough Manga Material for a Season

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Re: Opinion: There’s Enough Manga Material for a Season

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:27 am

They definitely have enough material to bring the anime back, I'm not sure what they're waiting for unless they want the manga to finish the Granolah arc first. I'm just hoping that when they do bring Super back to TV, they make it seasonal instead of a weekly year round show so that it can have higher quality animation.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:39 am

Skar wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:14 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:01 pmI still don't believe they are literarily going to adapt this manga, like they are adapting One Piece or another classic manga.
The worldwide scope of DB is too big for that kind of tactics.
DBS is not one authors work that is adapted, it's a collaboration between different writers. That's not always ideal and maybe not how it should be, but in this case maybe it's even a good thing, because it gives some hope for a rewrite someday, or even a timeskip / refocuss on a brand new part of the story.
I'm not sure what you mean here. There are spinoff manga that sell far less than DBS and only released in Japan but still get an anime adaptation like Heroes and Episode of Bardock. The main continuity that gets an official international release is still supervised by Toriyama. I think it's unlikely he would take the time to supervise the DBS manga if he intended to ignore all of it.

Maybe it has occurred to you there has been some debate in different threads recent years concerning what's canon and what's not.
I think we can at least agree there is no agreement on this matter.

TOEI have always done their own thing in the recent past: in the anime, in the movies ... based on Toryamas script, not based on the manga.
It remain to be seen what exactly we are going to get.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:55 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:27 am They definitely have enough material to bring the anime back, I'm not sure what they're waiting for unless they want the manga to finish the Granolah arc first. I'm just hoping that when they do bring Super back to TV, they make it seasonal instead of a weekly year round show so that it can have higher quality animation.
They have to wait until they have staff and an available network timeslot to return.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:14 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:39 amMaybe it has occurred to you there has been some debate in different threads recent years concerning what's canon and what's not.

TOEI have always done their own thing in the recent past: in the anime, in the movies ... based on Toryamas script, not based on the manga.
I don't care much for canon. It's been said on here that Shuiesha owns the rights to all their manga and only license them out to Toei and other anime studios which is why they haven't done anything without Shuiesha or the original author's approval. It makes sense since the director of Broly said it all depends on Toriyama.

The competition between the anime and manga only exists among some fans. They're working on the same team so i don't see any reason for Toei to ignore the manga. It's a different story if there's never going to be another anime but I find it unlikely Toei would ignore stories Toriyama worked on and go to the effort of replacing them with new sagas to bridge the gap between Broly and Super Hero.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:16 pm

Skar wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:14 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:39 amMaybe it has occurred to you there has been some debate in different threads recent years concerning what's canon and what's not.

I don't care much for canon. It's been said on here that Shuiesha owns the rights to all their manga and only license them out to Toei and other anime studios which is why they haven't done anything without Shuiesha or the original author's approval. It makes sense since the director of Broly said it all depends on Toriyama.

The competition between the anime and manga only exists among some fans. They're working on the same team so i don't see any reason for Toei to ignore the manga. It's a different story if there's never going to be another anime but I find it unlikely Toei would ignore stories Toriyama worked on and go to the effort of replacing them with new sagas to bridge the gap between Broly and Super Hero.

This feels somehow paradoxal: you say you don't care about canon and i even didn't say they will 100 % not bring the Moro arc, but still the animes return has to be an exact replica of the mangas story?
Who says Toriyama won't deliver basic plot outlines for TOEI to adapt, leaving them freedom to get inpiration from the manga and / or simply bring in new elements to the story? This is how it was done untill now within the Super continuation.

Still the fact the Moros arc is in the manga, doesn't mean we will get a literal adaptation. (just like Broly didn't get fully adapted in the manga) We might get a short summary of the events, if the movie takes place after the current manga arcs, that isn't competely out of the question either.

I don't say something isn't possible here, i only keep my window open for other possiblities. It's you who is, to my feeling, pointing towards a faithful manga adaptation, while this isn't a proven fact whatsoever, this while you otherwise state to be neutral or non-caring when it comes to canon. My apologies if i feel you wrong here. No bad intend.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:41 pm

I don’t even think it has to be a “100% faithful” adaptation of the manga - there’s plenty of room for expansion and remixing. But I would really like to see the characters, set pieces, and general plot threads come to animated form. Moro, his crew, Merus, Granolah and the heeters, ultra ego… there’s plenty to work with and it would be a shame for that stuff to be outright ignored.

The manga and anime of DBS during its airing was a unique case because they were kind of parallel adaptations of Toriyamas outlines. I think we have a different scenario on our hands now that the manga has gone 2+ years without the anime, and could see more of a traditional “manga to anime adaptation” if they choose to bring back the show. But who knows? Time will tell.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:52 pm

jamiljamtheman wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:41 pm and could see more of a traditional “manga to anime adaptation” if they choose to bring back the show. But who knows? Time will tell.
I overall like Toei's additions to the arcs (like GoD Toppo) so if it was just a direct adaptation this time, it would feel kinda.. boring. But I can see it happening too. Nonetheless I'd still hope they would expand on the fights and stuff that was shorter in the manga, like UI Moro who only fought for a few pages.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:04 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:16 pmThis feels somehow paradoxal: you say you don't care about canon and i even didn't say they will 100 % not bring the Moro arc, but still the animes return has to be an exact replica of the mangas story?
My bad if I implied I thought it would be a 100% faithful.adapation. I only meant that it would be more likely Toei would use it was an outline or storyboard rather than completely ignore it and replace with a different arc or ask him to write something else. The main takeaway from the Moro arc is that it was revealed Uub had God ki, Goku learned to use UI at will, and that 73 appearee in the next arc that did have more involvement from Toriyama. I don't know what exactly came from Toriyama after Broly but I really doubt Toei could ignore it and their version of the story would include those plot points at least.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:30 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:52 pm
jamiljamtheman wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:41 pm and could see more of a traditional “manga to anime adaptation” if they choose to bring back the show. But who knows? Time will tell.
I overall like Toei's additions to the arcs (like GoD Toppo) so if it was just a direct adaptation this time, it would feel kinda.. boring. But I can see it happening too. Nonetheless I'd still hope they would expand on the fights and stuff that was shorter in the manga, like UI Moro who only fought for a few pages.
Oh yeah agreed, I hope that if they do adapt stuff they expand and add to it. I may not have seen most of DBS’s anime because I preferred the pacing of the manga, but I like a lot of their additions too. GoD Toppo, SSBE, SSBKK, rage trunks, etc. I just hope that soon we get to see anything from Moro+ in official animated form (some of the fan animated stuff is really cool, though).

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:13 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:55 am
Aim wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:26 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:21 pm I trust in the Toei executives honestly. If people who've studied economics and management all their life didn't think it was necessary to bring back Super, then evidently Dokkan Battle is indeed doing its job and is bringing in huge amounts of cash. They got the statistics so they'd know how popular every product is :think:
What? How do you know they’ve studied all their life? That’s like saying politicians study all their life lol.

The chances are they are just the same morons that chose to push Supers awful schedule, they could have gotten far more out of Super if it wasn’t rushed.
Yes, I'm sure you become the executive of one of the biggest corporations in Japan by studying how to be a veterinary :roll:
Holy fucking shit.

You know Elon Musk isn’t even an engineer despite having the title of such? This reminds me of when I tell people about crimes that are committed in my countries government and they say “no that can’t happen otherwise they’d be in jail”, well, that’s not how it works.

I’m not trying to be rude, it’s just super frustrating because you don’t even realise you’re assigning intelligence to people who are probably around the average persons intelligence level.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:40 am

Skar wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:04 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:16 pmThis feels somehow paradoxal: you say you don't care about canon and i even didn't say they will 100 % not bring the Moro arc, but still the animes return has to be an exact replica of the mangas story?
My bad if I implied I thought it would be a 100% faithful.adapation. I only meant that it would be more likely Toei would use it was an outline or storyboard rather than completely ignore it and replace with a different arc or ask him to write something else. The main takeaway from the Moro arc is that it was revealed Uub had God ki, Goku learned to use UI at will, and that 73 appearee in the next arc that did have more involvement from Toriyama. I don't know what exactly came from Toriyama after Broly but I really doubt Toei could ignore it and their version of the story would include those plot points at least.

There is one problem though.
Not everyone reads the manga. Only a relative minority of hardcore fans in Japan and the West do.
If there is a timeskip to the next movie, it will be confusing for anime watchers that haven't read the manga to start with the Moro and Granolah-arcs, if they happen before the new movie. How will they resolve that issue?

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:31 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:40 amThere is one problem though.
Not everyone reads the manga. Only a relative minority of hardcore fans in Japan and the West do.
If there is a timeskip to the next movie, it will be confusing for anime watchers that haven't read the manga to start with the Moro and Granolah-arcs, if they happen before the new movie. How will they resolve that issue?
I do agree it could be confusing but the DB fan base is already used to the idea of midquels since almost everything in the revival has taken place between Buu saga and EoZ. Adapting the two manga arcs between the retellings of Broly and Superhero might not be too unexpected. That's assuming there might be another anime since the series might only continue as movies. I only mean that if the anime returns that I find it unlikely they would ignore anything that Toriyama was involved with.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:55 pm

Skar wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:31 am
I only mean that if the anime returns that I find it unlikely they would ignore anything that Toriyama was involved with.

Not if Toriyama or Shueisha would agree with it.
The manga could always end as a way to keep us 'busy' between the movies, and stay that way.
Or a new anime series could start right after the new movie (after the timeskip), taking a headstart on the manga.
I'm not saying this will definitely happen, but it's not entirely impossible either regarding how things are going right now.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:38 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:55 pmNot if Toriyama or Shueisha would agree with it.
The manga could always end as a way to keep us 'busy' between the movies, and stay that way.
Or a new anime series could start right after the new movie (after the timeskip), taking a headstart on the manga.
I'm not saying this will definitely happen, but it's not entirely impossible either regarding how things are going right now.
You said the manga isn't read by many people. Less people read manga than watch anime in general so I don't think it's worth the effort for Toriyama just to keep some fans busy. Are there examples of this done in other franchises? Manga that sell better than the DBS manga and also some that sell worse get an anime adaptation so I don't know why DBS would be an outlier that only exists to fill a void for some fans.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:56 pm

Skar wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:38 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:55 pmNot if Toriyama or Shueisha would agree with it.
You said the manga isn't read by many people. Less people read manga than watch anime in general so I don't think it's worth the effort for Toriyama just to keep some fans busy. Are there examples of this done in other franchises? Manga that sell better than the DBS manga and also some that sell worse get an anime adaptation so I don't know why DBS would be an outlier that only exists to fill a void for some fans.

Again, you're thinking in a classic pattern 'manga is source material, animated content is derivative'.
DBS is not a classic manga that follows that pattern.
If the integral representation of the story within the manga is that important to Toriyama, why didn't he even bother to order Toyotaro a descent adaptation of RF and Broly?

I even don't say it won't get adapted. I only keep my options open for the time being, if i'm allowed sir.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:48 pm

Pretty sure that Shueisha doesn't treat this comic as a 'real' comic, hence why it doesn't mind expecting the reader to watch the cartoons. It would be neat if there was a chance for Toyo-tarou to go back and adapt the Golden Freeza, Broli and Gamma movies, though.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:33 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:56 pmAgain, you're thinking in a classic pattern 'manga is source material, animated content is derivative'.
DBS is not a classic manga that follows that pattern.
If the integral representation of the story within the manga is that important to Toriyama, why didn't he even bother to order Toyotaro a descent adaptation of RF and Broly?

I even don't say it won't get adapted. I only keep my options open for the time being, if i'm allowed sir.
No worries. I was just curious if there were any examples from other series. The DBS manga is released on V-Jump which is mostly for spin-offs of completed manga. I think it's the best selling manga on there so I thought it could've had a chance of getting an anime adaptation is all. No way to know for sure until we find out what's coming after the next movie. If another anime isn't announced after Digimon Ghost Game ends next year then there might not be any plans to bring it back.

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:17 pm

My assumption is that they're waiting until DQ Dai ends sometime next October to debut 2uper while riding the hype of the new movie. At that point they'll have around 47 chapters they'll be able to adapt.
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:39 pm

CashmanX wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:17 pm My assumption is that they're waiting until DQ Dai ends sometime next October to debut 2uper while riding the hype of the new movie. At that point they'll have around 47 chapters they'll be able to adapt.
Oof, I hope they don't do one chapter an episode pacing...
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:59 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:39 pm
CashmanX wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:17 pm My assumption is that they're waiting until DQ Dai ends sometime next October to debut 2uper while riding the hype of the new movie. At that point they'll have around 47 chapters they'll be able to adapt.
Oof, I hope they don't do one chapter an episode pacing...
Yeah, that would be rough.

This is all working under the assumption that things won't play out like in 2019 where "THE STARS ARE ALIGNED!!1" and then nothing actually comes out.

Nozawa ain't getting any younger, Toei.
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump