Opinion: There’s Enough Manga Material for a Season

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Opinion: There’s Enough Manga Material for a Season

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:46 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:00 am
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:49 am They could absolutely drag the Moro arc out into a 2 cour season. Hell, they could even do a retelling of the Broly movie and adapt Toriyama's original 3 hour script into the anime.
Who wants to see that?
No one wanted to see a retelling of Battle Of Gods and Ressurection F, but it happened anyway because Toriyama wanted it to happen. I could easily see the DBS Broly getting retold for an arc, but there's no way it could last 12 episodes as BOG and ROF retelling did. There's just not enough story to stretch out for 12 episodes.

The Galatic Patrol Prisoner arc could definitely use a bit more expansion, more specifically in characterisation for the antagonists and I could see that arc being stretched to 20+ episodes. It shouldn't, but it could happen. With that arc, and the current ongoing Granolah The Survivor arc and DBS Superhero, if a hypothetical Super 2.0 were to happen, I'd say there would be around 50 episodes worth of material you could get out of the current content.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:48 pm

Episodes #1-3: re-intro to the series.
Episodes #4-13: adapting the Broli arc, hopefully reusing the film's animation mixed with new cuts.
Episodes #14-17: breather filler.
Episodes #18-26: Moro arc.

Would definitely be ideal, for a two cour series.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:53 pm

Definitely don't want the Moro arc to last too long, this doesn't deserve more than 13 episodes. I also hope that Toei fixes Moro like they fixed Goku Black.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:05 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:49 am They could absolutely drag the Moro arc out into a 2 cour season. Hell, they could even do a retelling of the Broly movie and adapt Toriyama's original 3 hour script into the anime.
Who wants to see that?
They can skip Moro honestly and I don’t think anyone would be mad. Broly would be interesting to see the stuff that was cut but not necessary.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:49 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:46 pm
Who wants to see that?
No one wanted to see a retelling of Battle Of Gods and Ressurection F, but it happened anyway because Toriyama wanted it to happen. I could easily see the DBS Broly getting retold for an arc, but there's no way it could last 12 episodes as BOG and ROF retelling did. There's just not enough story to stretch out for 12 episodes.

The Galatic Patrol Prisoner arc could definitely use a bit more expansion, more specifically in characterisation for the antagonists and I could see that arc being stretched to 20+ episodes. It shouldn't, but it could happen. With that arc, and the current ongoing Granolah The Survivor arc and DBS Superhero, if a hypothetical Super 2.0 were to happen, I'd say there would be around 50 episodes worth of material you could get out of the current content.
In the case of BoG and RF, weren’t those movies retold to buy Toriyama more time?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:41 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:49 pm

Who wants to see that?

In the case of BoG and RF, weren’t those movies retold to buy Toriyama more time?
No.

He specifically wanted the BOG and ROF to be retold so that fans going into Super would know the events of BOG and ROF if they hadn't seen the movies.
They explain that incorporating the theatrical films Battle of Gods and Resurrection ‘F’ into the new television series was Toriyama’s idea, and was part of introducing the characters Beerus and Whis, who the producers deemed essential to the story, to children who may not have already seen the movies.
Context

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:14 pm

Who wants to see that?
Not many people, but that’s one way they could drag out the anime as long as possible.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:50 pm

BoG and RoF were technically Z movies. While Broly is the first (and only, so far) Super movie. So I don't see them retelling it because it's part of Super. While BoG and RoF were technically considered part of "DBZ" as a series.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:17 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:41 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:49 pm

No.

He specifically wanted the BOG and ROF to be retold so that fans going into Super would know the events of BOG and ROF if they hadn't seen the movies.
They explain that incorporating the theatrical films Battle of Gods and Resurrection ‘F’ into the new television series was Toriyama’s idea, and was part of introducing the characters Beerus and Whis, who the producers deemed essential to the story, to children who may not have already seen the movies.
Context
I don’t think that was necessary. If the show already expects people to be familiar with over a decade’s worth of material, two fairly recent (at the time) movies don’t seem like such a big deal. At the most, they could’ve just done a quick recap.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:50 pm

The story is progressing so incredibly slow at the moment, they'll need to fill it up considerably with new plot exploring and advancing elements to make it anywhere near remotely intresting. There barely is any valable content to adapt. It's a hollow box.

The manga is there to keep us busy for the time being.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:22 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:50 pm The story is progressing so incredibly slow at the moment, they'll need to fill it up considerably with new plot exploring and advancing elements to make it anywhere near remotely intresting. There barely is any valable content to adapt. It's a hollow box.
I think that's because it's a monthly manga. Seasonal anime can adapt 2-3 weekly chapters or a monthly chapter per episode. Moro arc took two years as a manga but would last 5-6 months at most as an anime.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:01 pm

Skar wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:22 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:50 pm The story is progressing so incredibly slow at the moment, they'll need to fill it up considerably with new plot exploring and advancing elements to make it anywhere near remotely intresting. There barely is any valable content to adapt. It's a hollow box.
I think that's because it's a monthly manga. Seasonal anime can adapt 2-3 weekly chapters or a monthly chapter per episode. Moro arc took two years as a manga but would last 5-6 months at most as an anime.

I still don't believe they are literarily going to adapt this manga, like they are adapting One Piece or another classic manga.
The worldwide scope of DB is too big for that kind of tactics.
DBS is not one authors work that is adapted, it's a collaboration between different writers. That's not always ideal and maybe not how it should be, but in this case maybe it's even a good thing, because it gives some hope for a rewrite someday, or even a timeskip / refocuss on a brand new part of the story.

This aside: the monthly release of the manga is not the main reason why it's going so slow. It merely adds to the effect.
Really, you should compare the orginal manga with a DBS manga. There seem a lot more of successive pages and chapters that are 'only fighting' in DBS.
Due to it's nature, this can be 'forgiven' in a tournament-arc like TOP, but not in those plot driven arcs like Moro and now Granolah.
Really, if you take away the fighting, there really isn't that much story to it.
More fighting scenes could be an added bonus in the anime (if well executed) and adds to the spectacle, but should never be a purpose on itself to mask a lack of progression, in my opinion. That's not how i feel good manga should be, which main focuss should always be the story and characters itself, even within a Shounen.
Definitely not during a monthly manga, because that makes things even more painfully uninspiring.

Really ... I even haven't read the latest chapter because i have lost intrest, i don't 'care' anymore, i am mainly looking forward to the new movie for the time being.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:40 am

I’m surprised by how many people are down with or assume that Toei would retell the movies—I thought most people didn’t like the BoG and RoF arcs in the anime? I’ve only seen the movie versions—are the anime versions enjoyable enough that people want to see Broly and Super Hero episode-ified?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:58 am

jamiljamtheman wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:40 am I’m surprised by how many people are down with or assume that Toei would retell the movies—I thought most people didn’t like the BoG and RoF arcs in the anime? I’ve only seen the movie versions—are the anime versions enjoyable enough that people want to see Broly and Super Hero episode-ified?
I did not like how those arcs were a product of inhumane work conditions. Otherwise they're fine.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:13 pm

While the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc isn't necessarily my favorite of Super, it might be the best arc to introduce someone who has never seen Dragon Ball. It spends a good amount of time showcasing the personalities of Goku and Vegeta in particular. It also showcases pretty much every member of the Dragon Team. Many of the plot beats are lore callbacks or recycled elements from the original series. A new viewer might not recognize those things, but they'd essentially be getting a "greatest hits" summary of DB. I think that's a good selling point for trying to convince new viewers to tune in.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:26 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:21 pm I trust in the Toei executives honestly. If people who've studied economics and management all their life didn't think it was necessary to bring back Super, then evidently Dokkan Battle is indeed doing its job and is bringing in huge amounts of cash. They got the statistics so they'd know how popular every product is :think:
What? How do you know they’ve studied all their life? That’s like saying politicians study all their life lol.

The chances are they are just the same morons that chose to push Supers awful schedule, they could have gotten far more out of Super if it wasn’t rushed.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:55 am

Aim wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:26 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:21 pm I trust in the Toei executives honestly. If people who've studied economics and management all their life didn't think it was necessary to bring back Super, then evidently Dokkan Battle is indeed doing its job and is bringing in huge amounts of cash. They got the statistics so they'd know how popular every product is :think:
What? How do you know they’ve studied all their life? That’s like saying politicians study all their life lol.

The chances are they are just the same morons that chose to push Supers awful schedule, they could have gotten far more out of Super if it wasn’t rushed.
Yes, I'm sure you become the executive of one of the biggest corporations in Japan by studying how to be a veterinary :roll:

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:14 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:01 pmI still don't believe they are literarily going to adapt this manga, like they are adapting One Piece or another classic manga.
The worldwide scope of DB is too big for that kind of tactics.
DBS is not one authors work that is adapted, it's a collaboration between different writers. That's not always ideal and maybe not how it should be, but in this case maybe it's even a good thing, because it gives some hope for a rewrite someday, or even a timeskip / refocuss on a brand new part of the story.
I'm not sure what you mean here. There are spinoff manga that sell far less than DBS and only released in Japan but still get an anime adaptation like Heroes and Episode of Bardock. The main continuity that gets an official international release is still supervised by Toriyama. I think it's unlikely he would take the time to supervise the DBS manga if he intended to ignore all of it.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:17 am

Skar wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:14 am I'm not sure what you mean here. There are spinoff manga that sell far less than DBS and only released in Japan but still get an anime adaptation like Heroes
Heroes as a card-game is extremely profitable though so I don't get this point :roll:
And the anime is adapting the game, not the manga.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:49 am

Xeogran wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:17 amHeroes as a card-game is extremely profitable though so I don't get this point :roll:
And the anime is adapting the game, not the manga.
I didn't mean anything negative by it. It's a game only released in Japan but it still received an anime. I assumed there was more of an audience for DBS manga worldwide than there is for only Heroes in Japan.