Opinion: There’s Enough Manga Material for a Season

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Opinion: There’s Enough Manga Material for a Season

Post by jamiljamtheman » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:04 pm

… or at least something Toei could produce with a definite end. We have a full arc (Moro), and eventually the Granolah arc will conclude too. Maybe this statement applies better when that happens.

But they would need to make a proper “season”, where they pre-plan a set of episodes to make with a definite direction in story. I get that Toei prefers to do ongoing, 130-ish-weeks-in-a-row continuous adaptation, but this is an opinion piece. And my opinion is it would be cool if they made a tightly paced season story based on, and expanding when effective, the existing manga stories.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Opinion: There’s Enough Manga Material for a Season

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:09 pm

Yeah, the Moro arc definitely works as a one cour series. That would be nice.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:17 am

It's possible they're waiting for the manga to end so they can plan it out. I'm pretty sure it's going to be in the same timeslot as before which had anime longer than 50 episodes each. I don't think a seasonal anime would work unless it was moved to a different timeslot. An anime adaption of Broly, Moro, Granolah, and Super Hero could be at least 50 episodes.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:33 am

There's no evidence they're even adapting the Moro arc, which was written by Toyotaro for the most part (saying it was the best "he" could come up with). Really, the only reason why that arc is needed is 7-3, the rest could be skipped and nothing of value would be lost.

I see them adapting the Granolah arc since it clearly comes more from Toriyama, but I'm expecting changes and divergences like with all other arcs that come from Toriyama's outline.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:42 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:33 am There's no evidence they're even adapting the Moro arc, which was written by Toyotaro for the most part (saying it was the best "he" could come up with). Really, the only reason why that arc is needed is 7-3, the rest could be skipped and nothing of value would be lost.

I see them adapting the Granolah arc since it clearly comes more from Toriyama, but I'm expecting changes and divergences like with all other arcs that come from Toriyama's outline.
They're not going to skipped the Moro arc. They can monetize the characters and the story.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:54 am

Toei had the Copy Vegeta arc and most other anime-only episodes were fan service so I don't know why they would consider skipping Moro. It was mostly written by Toyotaro but Toriyama was still involved and supervised it each month from what we know.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:59 am

Heck, look at all the video game merchandising. They'll advertise Moro and friends in the weekly cartoon and then merchandise him through the games or other products. Like, yeah, the Moro arc sucks, but it's not going to be ignored when they still control the narrative of the series and thus can dictate the profitability of those characters.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:50 am

The amount of game mods for Dragon Ball games old and new that include stuff from the Moro Arc, some made even while the arc was ongoing, should be a testament to the fact that yes, the characters and stuff from that saga would and could be very marketable and profitable for Toei and Bandai. Just imagine the SDBH cards!

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:57 pm

I think between a Broly adaptation, the Moro arc, the Granola arc, and a Super Hero adaptation, they'd be able to do another run of Super close to the length of the first. I honestly think that's what they'll do, personally.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:05 pm

There's easily 50+ episodes they could get out of the show just between Broly and Moro. Even if they started that now it would take over a year to finish at which point the Granolah Saga would most likely long be over as well and they could probably get over half a years of episodes out of that.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:18 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:57 pm I think between a Broly adaptation, the Moro arc, the Granola arc, and a Super Hero adaptation, they'd be able to do another run of Super close to the length of the first. I honestly think that's what they'll do, personally.
I agree with this, along with the addition of some filler-type episodes between arcs, like the first season also had. Depending on how the manga and DBSSH will fit together, there might also be another arc (or several) in between Granolah and the movie, so there'd be that to cover as well, or maybe there could be an anime-only arc to put in that space, or maybe both. It all depends on what the long-term plan for the series is, I guess.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:35 pm

Again, I’m still not convinced the anime is coming back.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:54 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:35 pm Again, I’m still not convinced the anime is coming back.
Neither am I.

The time to capitalise on the wave of interest in Dragon Ball content was there to be taken after DBS Broly made a shit load of money but Toei just chose to sit on the IP and expect Dokkan Battle to carry the slack, while they waited for Toriyama to have either a script or plot outline ready.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:21 pm

I trust in the Toei executives honestly. If people who've studied economics and management all their life didn't think it was necessary to bring back Super, then evidently Dokkan Battle is indeed doing its job and is bringing in huge amounts of cash. They got the statistics so they'd know how popular every product is :think:

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:36 pm

Since material from the Galactic Patrol Prisoner and Granolah the Survivor arcs hasn't made it into any other Dragon Ball products, I have to assume they're waiting for something before moving forward with that. I have no idea what that would be if not a return of the anime. As far as that goes, I have no idea if they're waiting for more manga material to accumulate, Super Hero to be released, staff to free up, or something else. Those arcs may never get adapted, but I don't think the time passed since the end of the anime is a reason to assume it never well.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:42 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:21 pm I trust in the Toei executives honestly. If people who've studied economics and management all their life didn't think it was necessary to bring back Super, then evidently Dokkan Battle is indeed doing its job and is bringing in huge amounts of cash. They got the statistics so they'd know how popular every product is :think:
Honestly, it would be economically counterintuitive to not produce any more animated content at this point in time. They may make poor narrative decisions, but surely they are the king when it comes to Dragon Ball marketing.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:05 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:54 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:35 pm Again, I’m still not convinced the anime is coming back.
Neither am I.

The time to capitalise on the wave of interest in Dragon Ball content was there to be taken after DBS Broly made a shit load of money but Toei just chose to sit on the IP and expect Dokkan Battle to carry the slack, while they waited for Toriyama to have either a script or plot outline ready.

Agreed that was such a blunder from Toei that will bite them in the ass for years to come.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:14 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:54 pmThe time to capitalise on the wave of interest in Dragon Ball content was there to be taken after DBS Broly made a shit load of money but Toei just chose to sit on the IP and expect Dokkan Battle to carry the slack, while they waited for Toriyama to have either a script or plot outline ready.
What would Toei have released after Broly without an outline from Toriyama? I think some fans overestimate the demand for DB when it might only be DB involving Toriyama at this point. Heroes is still a promotional anime and only released in Japan. I still think it made more sense to focus on other projects while they waited for more material to work with than rushing out another anime.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:49 am

They could absolutely drag the Moro arc out into a 2 cour season. Hell, they could even do a retelling of the Broly movie and adapt Toriyama's original 3 hour script into the anime.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:00 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:49 am They could absolutely drag the Moro arc out into a 2 cour season. Hell, they could even do a retelling of the Broly movie and adapt Toriyama's original 3 hour script into the anime.
Who wants to see that?