Do you think the Freeza thing will be resolved?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Do you think the Freeza thing will be resolved?

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:52 pm

It was pretty obvious after Freeza was brought back to life after the Tournament of Power that he’d be sticking around for a while, but the idea of him just being free to terrorize the universe whenever he wants seems like an odd loose end to not tie up. Yes, I know that Goku and his friends are not superheroes, but the idea of Freeza just going around enslaving and destroying planets in a universe that only has 28 planets with intelligent life is a weird thing to just never resolve. What if Freeza finds New Namek eventually? Or runs into Jaco?

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you think the Freeza thing will be resolved?

Post by fleahop » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:04 am

This wasn't bugging me until you pointed it out.

It's a bit strange that they didn't have Vegeta go after him. Then again, he does have a daughter he apparently cares for....however he has no problem going across the galaxy to train indefinitely.

Really he's just around so it's easier to write stories like the current arc. Frieza is incredibly convenient to have around but it does seem pretty lazy.

Edit: to actually answer the question, no I don't think they'll be resolving Frieza anytime soon. He sells way too well and pretty much ties into every story some way or another. Not to mention he's a perfect foil for Goku and that (probably) will never change.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:21 am

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:52 pmYes, I know that Goku and his friends are not superheroes, but the idea of Freeza just going around enslaving and destroying planets in a universe that only has 28 planets with intelligent life is a weird thing to just never resolve. What if Freeza finds New Namek eventually? Or runs into Jaco?
Maybe it's revealed that Freeza lost interest in having an empire or a gag that he sucks at it because he's been dead for so long. He was attacking a planet at the end of Broly but that might've been it and he mostly kept to himself since his resurrection. Super Hero is taking place about three years after Granolah. If Freeza's still alive by then he probably hasn't caused any problems and kept under the radar.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:59 am

If Freeza makes a proper appearance in this Granolah saga, I am pretty sure it would spell out his death.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:42 am

He's a permanent member of the cast now and exists to be in the role of begrudging space frenemy and occasional instigator.

It needs no more solving than does Goku's chumminess with Beerus, and I literally can't wrap my head around why people think it does. It's morally askance, but so is DB's world in many ways. Freeza, as with all its other permanent fixtures, adds color.

His only real direction to move in longer term is becoming more and more of a begrudging friend, of course, but nothing says Super needs to run along enough to fully get him there.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:53 am

Cipher wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:42 amHis only real direction to move in longer term is becoming more and more of a begrudging friend, of course, but nothing says Super needs to run along enough to fully get him there.
That's true but I think it's more about Freeza have some kind of conclusion since it's different what we're used to in DB. We never had a recurring villain before and the original series ended with all major threats either dead or having reformed. I don't think he has to be killed but at least see what he's doing by the end of DBS.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:11 am

Yeah I'm very much a fan of the fact the DB cast are not super heroes but Freeza really is too much literally genocide and exploitation on a galactic scale

You could make some non interventionist argument but the z cast are all responsible for his finding out about Dragonballs, his power ups and his bloody resurrection.

At this point they are complicit.

It'd also feel mean if they hunted down and murdered him after he helped them.

The way to solve Freeza has two solutions imo :

Have him be killed by a third party, getting Goku off the hook.

Have him move to, or become the GoD of somewhere so bad, like the trios universe or the demon realm that his regime is actually a tangible improvement or civilising effect.

Don't turn Freeza good but have him be an anti hero against a bigger threat. He should be gone again by EoZ.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:32 am

Freeza coming back into any kind of main villain role or being killed off again would feel so pointless, though. He was obviously brought back to add another (permanent) element to Dragon World and its expanded cast.

The only major misstep since his return was showing an on-screen planet attack at the end of Broly, which was wildly out of tone. All that really needs to be done is have him scale back his operations (to racketeering or extortion or "protection" or something less actively, immediately vile) out of pragmatism with Goku and co. around, so he can fit more comfortably into the kind of tenuous frenemy Beerus was for a bit.

Whose destruction of populated planets has, notably, just stopped occurring in any way that we're aware of, even though it's still technically his whole job. DB has ways of keeping evil friends around without stepping out of its own tone.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:02 am

To repeat what I said about Freeza a while ago:
The manga (and films, for that matter) has Freeza doing things truer to his character - blindsiding foes, getting humiliated in direct brawls that he unwittingly sows the seeds for, being a cruel opportunist, behaving like an actual villain.
The possibility of him becoming anything nicer than that is a disservice to his character; it undermines what makes Freeza distinct from the rest of the cast. The point of Freeza is that he's DB's lowest scumbag, that he's specifically not a frienemy. He's an enemy!

As for what Super can do with him going forward, a supporting antagonistic role fits best. The Tournament of Power walked a tightrope here, but the manga managed to do him justice. DBS Broly did it perfectly.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:41 pm

Cipher wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:42 am He's a permanent member of the cast now and exists to be in the role of begrudging space frenemy and occasional instigator.

It needs no more solving than does Goku's chumminess with Beerus, and I literally can't wrap my head around why people think it does. It's morally askance, but so is DB's world in many ways. Freeza, as with all its other permanent fixtures, adds color.

His only real direction to move in longer term is becoming more and more of a begrudging friend, of course, but nothing says Super needs to run along enough to fully get him there.
Killing Freeza off again would be repetitive at this point, but I was thinking something more along the lines of him getting arrested by the Galactic Patrol.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:49 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:41 pm
Cipher wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:42 am He's a permanent member of the cast now and exists to be in the role of begrudging space frenemy and occasional instigator.

Killing Freeza off again would be repetitive at this point, but I was thinking something more along the lines of him getting arrested by the Galactic Patrol.
What if Granolah becomes a Galactic Partoller and arrests Freeza instead of killing him?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:47 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:49 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:41 pm

What if Granolah becomes a Galactic Partoller and arrests Freeza instead of killing him?
That'd be tight if he went from Vengence to Justice, Freezas locked up like Moro but can still be taken out for TOP2 Electric boogaloo on work release or whatever.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:51 am

I doubt it. Unless it happens in the Granolah arc.

It's pretty clear that Frieza was brought back because of Dragon Ball being resurrected as permanent ongoing franchise - like Lupin the Third. Frieza is just part of the sandbox now. So writers can do with him what they will.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:44 pm

Cipher wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:32 am Freeza coming back into any kind of main villain role or being killed off again would feel so pointless, though. He was obviously brought back to add another (permanent) element to Dragon World and its expanded cast.

The only major misstep since his return was showing an on-screen planet attack at the end of Broly, which was wildly out of tone. All that really needs to be done is have him scale back his operations (to racketeering or extortion or "protection" or something less actively, immediately vile) out of pragmatism with Goku and co. around, so he can fit more comfortably into the kind of tenuous frenemy Beerus was for a bit.

Whose destruction of populated planets has, notably, just stopped occurring in any way that we're aware of, even though it's still technically his whole job. DB has ways of keeping evil friends around without stepping out of its own tone.
I agree that at this point, it would be weird for Freeza to just be killed again after everything that happened to his return, and I believe it's still possible to create stories around his character (Granolah arc is showing us more of the impact created by his presence in the universe even decades after his death, and he's basically one of the main reasons this story is happening) but I would say it's equally werd that Goku and the others are totally fine with the idea of ​​him reigning over the universe again. They're not supposed to be heroes but Vegeta clearly expresses concern that Freeza is free, and the fact that he's shown attacking a planet at the end of DBS Broly (on top of everything that happened in the movie) gives me the feeling that the story (or Toriyama) isn't interested in treating him like Beerus.

I would say the same is happening in the manga, and the only way I can see Freeza getting away with all the strong guys wanting his head is if he doesn't show up at all in this arc lol

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:27 am

He terrorized the universe for decades before the Dragon Ball gang even knew who he was. Out of sight out of mind. Plus his empire isn’t even 1/10th of what it was back in the Freeza arc.

It’s not really an unresolved issue. He’s basically just space Al Bundy at this point; washed up and his best years are far behind him.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:15 am

Cipher wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:32 am Freeza coming back into any kind of main villain role or being killed off again would feel so pointless, though. He was obviously brought back to add another (permanent) element to Dragon World and its expanded cast.

I mean... what you're saying here doesn't track. You say Freeza has stopped attacking planets, then acknowledge that he does exactly that at the end of the last movie. You can't pretend that didn't happen because it's "out of tone". EDIT: Misunderstood you were talking about Beerus in the last paragraph.

The reality is that Freeza hasn't meaningfully changed the way he operates, he's just a bit more careful and calculating than before. We see in Freeza's brief Moro arc cameo that he has zero moral issue with the Moro Corps' galactic rampage, he just doesn't want to involve his business with criminal scum who have no interest in buying and reselling planets. Wiping out populations is still cash money, though.

I'd say Freeza's role isn't the same as Beerus, not yet anyway. Beerus and Whis immediately became members of the gang after their first conflict. Freeza is still an enemy through-and-through, he still murders people and wants the Saiyans dead. There's more of a Cold War vibe to his position now and Gogeta, presumably with the Goku half feeling merciful, simply doesn't see him as enough of a threat to be worth putting down personally.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:46 am

Freeza needs to train Bra to kill Vegeta but comically fail every time to have a negative influence on her, with her having a positive influence on him instead.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

BWri

Post by BWri » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:02 pm

I wouldn't mind the continued trend of Frieza having a tangible connection to each new threat that the Z fighters have encountered. If you think about it, his presence is felt or alluded to in every arc except for the Future Trunks arc but since his post ToP revival his influence is directly felt in each new arc.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:24 pm

At this point, he's a non-issue. As powerful as he is, he's nowhere close to Goku, Vegeta, Broly, or Beerus. It does seem kind of goofy that he is able to roam around as he wishes, but he isn't a serious threat to these characters anymore. Unless the writers want him out of the story, I doubt they'll have him die again.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:34 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:24 pm At this point, he's a non-issue. As powerful as he is, he's nowhere close to Goku, Vegeta, Broly, or Beerus. It does seem kind of goofy that he is able to roam around as he wishes, but he isn't a serious threat to these characters anymore. Unless the writers want him out of the story, I doubt they'll have him die again.
He’s not a serious threat to the characters. If the Broly movie is any indication, he’s little more than an 80’s Saturday morning cartoon villain at this point. It’s just weird to have a villain like that in Dragon Ball, and since it’s already been established that there are only 28 planets with sapient life in the universe, it kind of makes you wonder what’s stopping Freeza from enslaving all of Universe 7, sans Earth.