Do you think the Freeza thing will be resolved?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Do you think the Freeza thing will be resolved?

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:39 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:34 pm He’s not a serious threat to the characters. If the Broly movie is any indication, he’s little more than an 80’s Saturday morning cartoon villain at this point. It’s just weird to have a villain like that in Dragon Ball, and since it’s already been established that there are only 28 planets with sapient life in the universe, it kind of makes you wonder what’s stopping Freeza from enslaving all of Universe 7, sans Earth.
At this point I think Freeza is around purely for fanservice since he's arguably the most popular villain of the franchise (other than maybe Cell).
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:45 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:39 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:34 pm He’s not a serious threat to the characters. If the Broly movie is any indication, he’s little more than an 80’s Saturday morning cartoon villain at this point. It’s just weird to have a villain like that in Dragon Ball, and since it’s already been established that there are only 28 planets with sapient life in the universe, it kind of makes you wonder what’s stopping Freeza from enslaving all of Universe 7, sans Earth.
At this point I think Freeza is around purely for fanservice since he's arguably the most popular villain of the franchise (other than maybe Cell).
Freeza is definitely more popular and iconic than Cell, and yeah, it’s apparent that he’s being kept around because of that iconography. The Super era has gone out of its way to try and give Dragon Ball a certain status quo, and having Freeza as a recurring villain seems to be part of that.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:03 pm

It was convenient for Freeza to be revived just in time for the Broly movie, as it gave casual movie-only audiences a sense of continuity. Each movie carries over major characters from the last. Beerus and Whis return in RoF in more minor roles, then Freeza does the same in Broly (with Beerus and Whis further in the background), now Broly seems to be returning in Superhero.

Re: the main point of whether Freeza's continued existence will be "resolved" or not. Freeza's in an awkward spot of being an ignorable nuisance if he stays in his damn lane on the other side of the galaxy, and a potentially very dangerous threat once he gathers all his resources. Vegeta's only concerned about being strong enough should Freeza attack them first (he's also had a lot on his plate), meanwhile Goku feels some naïve obligation to Freeza for helping them out in the ToP. The Granola arc shows that Freeza's influence is felt everywhere and he's a huge concern for both Granola and the Heeters, so he probably can't stay in the shadows for much longer. Plus, the secret's out that the Galactic Patrol casually have an ex-Angel among their ranks now.

Like I said, it's more of a Cold War (heheh) mutually assured destruction vibe than a friendly cocktails by the pool vibe like with Beerus. Maybe that'll change and we'll get Mario Kart shenanigans with the gang, maybe not.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:39 pm

Freeza has literally turned into the Joker of Dragon Ball. An antagonist that has established themselves as far too popular out-universe and so well written in-universe that they can't be killed off. It sucks it has gotten to that stage, but it doesn't surprise me. Toriyama obviously loves writing Freeza, as does Toei and Toyotaro, so they're going to make the most out of his position in the current status quo as a recurring villain.

I personally wished Freeza stayed dead because, in the grand scheme of the current plot of Super, he has done nothing significant in terms of personally developing the cast.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:56 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:39 pm Freeza has literally turned into the Joker of Dragon Ball. An antagonist that has established themselves as far too popular out-universe and so well written in-universe that they can't be killed off. It sucks it has gotten to that stage, but it doesn't surprise me. Toriyama obviously loves writing Freeza, as does Toei and Toyotaro, so they're going to make the most out of his position in the current status quo as a recurring villain.

I personally wished Freeza stayed dead because, in the grand scheme of the current plot of Super, he has done nothing significant in terms of personally developing the cast.
That's a good comparison because the Joker is oversaturated too, worse than Freeza even. I'm still fans of Joker and Freeza, but less so because or this. Freeza was my favorite villain for the longest time, and even though he's pretty entertaining in Super, his current role has diminished his impact on the story for me. He and Joker are no longer my favorite villains for their respective series; I've since gone to preferring the likes of Piccolo Daimao, possibly Boo, and the Riddler.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:07 pm

If they kill him off again, they will find away to bring him back. Freeza has become like a 80s slasher movie villain where they will bring him back for more.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:03 pm

I have a feeling he will take the whole arc in the face. There's too many people that hate his guts, and all of them are hakaishin tier, all of them can use him as a belt. Also, three of them can use the only technique that not even the DBs can bring you back from.

He'd be the luckiest son of a bitch in fiction if he survives this arc.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:09 pm

Piccolo was still evil when Goku let him go.
Vegeta was still evil when Goku let him go.
Hit and Tao and Beerus are still out there doing their jobs.

That being said, I don't think Freeza is comparable considering the massive scale of his crimes. It would be comparable to letting Kid Boo roam around.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:05 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:03 pm I have a feeling he will take the whole arc in the face. There's too many people that hate his guts, and all of them are hakaishin tier, all of them can use him as a belt. Also, three of them can use the only technique that not even the DBs can bring you back from.

He'd be the luckiest son of a bitch in fiction if he survives this arc.
If by "this arc" you mean the Granolah arc... Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he manages to never appear in the arc at all. Sure Granolah, the Heeters and the main cast (mainly Vegeta) all have their reasons to go after Frieza, but they're currently far more busy dealing with each other, and it's far from impossible that the arc ends in mutual destruction on their part, causing the Heeters and Granolah to end up dead while Frieza is never even shown, so that the end result is that absolutely nothing happens to him. Obviously it's too soon to say anything for sure, but this is the feeling I've had about Frieza's role in the arc for a while now.

To the topic question, I don't think it will be. I wish it would be, I generally don't like how modern Dragon Ball keeps looking backwards and bringing back old stuff and old characters, but I don't expect it to be. Frieza will probably just exist as a vague threat in the background for a long time (if not for as long as modern Dragon Ball lasts) and never get dealt with in any way.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:58 pm

Yuji wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:09 pm Hit and Tao and Beerus are still out there doing their jobs.
Tao Pai Pai is most likely dead according to Toriyama unless his death gets retcon. He was probably killed when Super Buu wipe out humanity or when Kid Buu blew up the Earth.
She/Her

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:00 pm

I really doubt they'll leave this hanging when the series ends, but it's not ending anytime soon.
Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:58 pm Tao Pai Pai is most likely dead according to Toriyama unless his death gets retcon. He was probably killed when Super Buu wipe out humanity or when Kid Buu blew up the Earth.
You know, this is something I've always wondered about. They asked Polunga to not revive the bad guys... yet we later see Ginyu was revived. Though this could be considered anime-filler, so who knows.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:36 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:58 pm
Yuji wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:09 pm Hit and Tao and Beerus are still out there doing their jobs.
Tao Pai Pai is most likely dead according to Toriyama unless his death gets retcon. He was probably killed when Super Buu wipe out humanity or when Kid Buu blew up the Earth.
Considering Tenshinhan and Chaozu survived the attack, it's possible Tao was also able to dodge the blasts. No explanation for the Earth being destroyed however.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:40 am

I don't think so, I mean Whis didn't have to give Freeza another life, and it would only be a disservice to his character and make it even more of a joke to have him die again and again. That said, I was hoping Vegeta would get to kill Freeza in Resurrection F, so if that is TOEI or Toyotaro's endgame with having Freeza alive a bit longer I'm all for it.

I just hope they don't redeem Freeza, that would be the absolute worst thing they could do to him, some characters are better left being evil.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:00 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:00 pm
You know, this is something I've always wondered about. They asked Polunga to not revive the bad guys... yet we later see Ginyu was revived. Though this could be considered anime-filler, so who knows.
Ginyu was in a frog's body which is why he was able to come back seeing that he was not doing anything. Poulnga probably mistaken him for another animal on the Planet. Tao Pai Pai was still likely going around killing people after the 23rd Tenkachi Budokai.
She/Her

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:59 am

We don't know exactly what Freeza is up to, but I suspect he hasn't completey reverted to his old ways or Goku and Vegeta would have stopped him by now.

Maybe he's still dealing in planetary real-estate, but is avoiding planets with highly developed civilizations?

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:33 pm

I'd argue that the manga does a better job at holding off on some of the "buddy-cop" angle the anime indulged in. So I think we can still get evil Freeza.

Considering that Goku an Vegeta aren't even Granolah's main goal, there has to be a reason why this arc hasn't revealed what Freeza has been up to right? Because if it was just for fan service, why even bring Freeza up at all? And the fact that he's been mentioned throughout the arc, and hasn't been shown tells me that we might in for some type of reveal for Freeza. Something that might put him right back as the galaxy's monster.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:17 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:00 pm I really doubt they'll leave this hanging when the series ends, but it's not ending anytime soon.
Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:58 pm Tao Pai Pai is most likely dead according to Toriyama unless his death gets retcon. He was probably killed when Super Buu wipe out humanity or when Kid Buu blew up the Earth.
1. Everyone fucks this up. He doesn't say don't revive bad guys, he says don't revive the *really* evil ones. IE the Pilaf gang who tried to sunburn the cast to death are back, but Dabra is not.

2. Ginyu is anime fiiler. But also his years of being a Frog could have mellowed him out. Vegeta was worse then Ginyu to start with so it makes sense.

Do we know if Taopaipais ki can be sensed like humans or is he undetectable like 17 and 18, that might explain him not being in Buus attack but also not lessening Ten's feat of dodging it.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:32 pm

I doubt they will kill off Freeza just to tie in things with GT. They are already treat GT as its own thing and not apart of the main series as seen in DB Heroes.
She/Her

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:59 am

kemuri07 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:33 pm I'd argue that the manga does a better job at holding off on some of the "buddy-cop" angle the anime indulged in. So I think we can still get evil Freeza.

Considering that Goku an Vegeta aren't even Granolah's main goal, there has to be a reason why this arc hasn't revealed what Freeza has been up to right? Because if it was just for fan service, why even bring Freeza up at all? And the fact that he's been mentioned throughout the arc, and hasn't been shown tells me that we might in for some type of reveal for Freeza. Something that might put him right back as the galaxy's monster.
I think they're going to explain that they let Freeza live because he helped save the universe, and that will be the end of it.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:25 pm

Freeza has started down the path of a martial artist, one who will begrudgingly cooperate with his enemies when the need arises. Basically the only narratively worthwhile thing Super has done, to justify its existence, in my eyes. Man is staying around just like Piccolo and Vegeta stuck around. His personality, and his history with the cast, has a lot of potential for great character interactions and personality clashes.

Soon he'll have a son and give Vegeta a job. At last, all is right with Dragon Ball. :angel: