Next Dragon Ball Super Movie Idea

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Next Dragon Ball Super Movie Idea

Post by Dragmobot12 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:25 am

Do you think a Spider-Man: No Way Home type plot would work in Dragon Ball? Because I think it would, and quite well.
Looking at what's happening with this movie right now, as a Dragon Ball fan, I'm very jealous, because I'd really like to see the same thing happen in our anime. Watching them bring back major villains that aren't even canonical to their own universe is unbelievable, so I keep thinking, what if Toei applied the same concept some day? I think it would be much better for them if they brought back the most recognizable non-canon villains in one big multiverse type of movie than to reboot them instead. I mean, look at Broly's situation, there's nothing left of his previous version, and that, in my opinion, sucks. But keep in mind that this project will have literally nothing to do with Super Dragon Ball Heroes, we're talking about a high-budget movie with a possible great storyline.
I'm speaking for myself, of course, but how about you guys? Would you be okay with this type of movie or do you think it would be too much fanservice?

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Next Dragon Ball Super Movie Idea

Post by BWri » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:22 pm

Stuff like Dragon Ball Multiverse is fun, but I prefer how they've been reimagining movie characters in Super. But Dragon Ball does the multiverse thing in an interesting way in properties such as Xenoverse but its not as fun to me due to the blatant fun service. Storytelling usually takes a backseat to showing off popular nostalgic characters.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:10 pm

i don't know, none of those characters have much to offer, the best ones are just "remixes" of DBZ villains and the worst are... just boring toei GT stuff. unless they can reimagine those toei characters like they did with broly, i'm not sure what the point would be.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:32 pm

I suggested this idea as a joke a few months ago.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:26 pm

I wouldn't want it. I'm not a big fan of multiverse plots in general, though. I'm pretty skeptical of Spider-Man: Far From Home.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:46 pm

Yeah, the "multiverse" genre of storytelling is really tired these days. U6 and TOP was more than enough, I don't think there's much more to be mined from that idea in DBS.

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:54 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:46 pm Yeah, the "multiverse" genre of storytelling is really tired these days. U6 and TOP was more than enough, I don't think there's much more to be mined from that idea in DBS.
Yeah, except they did it all wrong, and it was very underwhelming, the multiverse doesn't even work the way they portrayed it. The only thing left is alternate timelines, and we have Future Trunks for that.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see. There are a lot of blockbusters coming out next year related to the cartoon universe: The Flash, Spider-Man (movie and animated movie), Doctor Strange and probably more.
I just hope Toei gets somehow inspired by this. Imagine how much they will make at the box office.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:36 pm

Dragmobot12 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:54 pm Yeah, except they did it all wrong, and it was very underwhelming, the multiverse doesn't even work the way they portrayed it.
The multiverse is just a concept like time travel. There are multiple ways it can be portrayed; there isn't a right or wrong way to do it.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:59 pm

I’ll say this: if Dragon Ball hypothetically were to have a story like this, they would have to rewrite their own rules regarding the multiverse.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:58 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:26 pm I wouldn't want it. I'm not a big fan of multiverse plots in general, though.

I'm not either. That and time travel I can live without.
I'm pretty skeptical of Spider-Man: Far From Home.
I think I get why, but for some reason FFH and the upcoming Flashpoint movie has me pretty amped. They probably got me with all the nostalgia bait. Now I just want to see what they do with everything. Hopefully FFH will make for a fun MCU Spidey film at the very least. I didn't like #2 much.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:42 pm

I'm also skeptical of Spider-Man: Somethingsomething Home. Yeah, it's nice that they're acknowledging the other Sony continuities, it's decent fanservice, but I'm not convinced that the movie's gonna be anything better than that. Tom Holland's Peter Parker has no connection to these past villains from other universes whose stories ended years ago. But whatever, rant for another day. In any case, not a fan of applying it to Dragon Ball. The old Toei movie baddies show up in Dragon Ball Heroes on the regular so the potential shock value has been worn right out.

IMO, Toriyama's take on the multiverse concept is good because it ignores the tired trope of every parallel universe revolving around the main characters' lives in some way. "Uh oh, we're in Universe-561, where the MC turned eeevil because of a national udon noodle shortage pushed him over the edge of sanity, now he rules the world with an iron fist." Ironically, that's a much more restrictive and unimaginative usage of the concept, yet it's by far the most common. You see it in Dragon Ball Multiverse, where 98% of the alternate universes are basically summed up as "bro, what if Bojack actually won!?" Like, who honestly cares? I'm more interested in the universe with the hermaphrodite mother carrying an unborn champion, that was a genius idea, but unfortunately Salagir would rather have Broly fight Buu in a black hole or some nonsense. :problem:

Except for Universe 6, the other universes in Dragon Ball Super have their own unique characters, species, worldbuilding, etc. While I don't think the execution was perfect by any means, that reinforces the idea that Universe 7 isn't the centre of the cosmos, if anything it's a below average dot on Zeno's flowchart.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:04 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:42 pm IMO, Toriyama's take on the multiverse concept is good because it ignores the tired trope of every parallel universe revolving around the main characters' lives in some way. "Uh oh, we're in Universe-561, where the MC turned eeevil because of a national udon noodle shortage pushed him over the edge of sanity, now he rules the world with an iron fist." Ironically, that's a much more restrictive and unimaginative usage of the concept, yet it's by far the most common. You see it in Dragon Ball Multiverse, where 98% of the alternate universes are basically summed up as "bro, what if Bojack actually won!?" Like, who honestly cares? I'm more interested in the universe with the hermaphrodite mother carrying an unborn champion, that was a genius idea, but unfortunately Salagir would rather have Broly fight Buu in a black hole or some nonsense. :problem:

Except for Universe 6, the other universes in Dragon Ball Super have their own unique characters, species, worldbuilding, etc. While I don't think the execution was perfect by any means, that reinforces the idea that Universe 7 isn't the centre of the cosmos, if anything it's a below average dot on Zeno's flowchart.
Yeah very good points. To me, one of the most interesting things about the structure of the DB universes is that they seem to be more different the further they get from the symmetry point (U6 and U7), which is why there actually are so many similarities between Beerus and Champa's worlds. It's also why I think the deleted universes 11 and 12 are the most intriguing... they're so far from the world we're familiar with that they could be truly alien... and all the more tantalizing that they were already deleted.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:07 pm

BWri wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:58 pm I think I get why, but for some reason FFH and the upcoming Flashpoint movie has me pretty amped. They probably got me with all the nostalgia bait. Now I just want to see what they do with everything. Hopefully FFH will make for a fun MCU Spidey film at the very least. I didn't like #2 much.
I'm hoping the movie will be amazing. I'm keeping my expectations low so that I'll be pleasantly surprised. I am a big fan of Tobey and Andrew. I love Dafoe and Molina, but I'd rather see this Spidey get more of his own versions of villains. The Holland movies are popcorn fun to me, and I like him as an actor, but I'm not a big fan of how his version is written. Flashpoint I'm pretty lukewarm on at the moment, but I'll definitely see it once it's out.
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:42 pm I'm also skeptical of Spider-Man: Somethingsomething Home. Yeah, it's nice that they're acknowledging the other Sony continuities, it's decent fanservice, but I'm not convinced that the movie's gonna be anything better than that. Tom Holland's Peter Parker has no connection to these past villains from other universes whose stories ended years ago. But whatever, rant for another day. In any case, not a fan of applying it to Dragon Ball.
Agreed on all counts.
IMO, Toriyama's take on the multiverse concept is good because it ignores the tired trope of every parallel universe revolving around the main characters' lives in some way. "Uh oh, we're in Universe-561, where the MC turned eeevil because of a national udon noodle shortage pushed him over the edge of sanity, now he rules the world with an iron fist." Ironically, that's a much more restrictive and unimaginative usage of the concept, yet it's by far the most common.
I agree. I don't mind how the multiverse was handled during the U6 Tournament and the TOP (apart from the U6 Saiyans, who I'm pretty indifferent towards overall). I like the idea of them being just other realities rather than universes with dopplegangers of characters we know. That got really old to me during The Flash CW series. Anyway, how it's been handled thus far is as far as I'd want Dragon Ball to take it; I don't like the idea of Flashpoint or No Way Home-type stories with this series.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:36 pm

A Cooler-Frieza movie based on Hamlet would be neat. The brother who was exiled in a far away place returns to take what is his.

Or maybe Frieza enacts an end game type plan to dethrone Beerus, using Broly. And he recruits some other fighters (like Cooler) to help him with the Z fighters.

I also think Hell on Earth could be cool. I've often day dreamed about King Cold, Dr. Gero, Babidi, Cell, Raditz, and others teaming up in Hell. And leading an army to invade Earth.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:28 am

The problem with the way Multiverse is handled in Dragon Ball is that you could easily just say the characters are all from Universe 7 and nothing would change. There's nothing that distinguishes them. The idea that Universe has a twin was a clever one to ensure more originality, but they soon dropped the ball on that. Only Universe 7 and Universe 6 can be considered actual twins, same races but still different beings.

Isn't there an Universe all about metal? If so, why isn't its twin all about... these same beings but organic (or whatever is the "counterpart to metal")? An Universe filled with different beings that can manipulate and have Ki based on fire and its twin Universe filled with beings that can manipulate and have Ki based on water. An Universe filled with hybrid beings and an Universe filled with Kaijus (and their respective twin Universes and whatever their counterparts may be)...

Sure, the examples above wouldn't be the ideal, as it defeats the creativity within that Universe where you could have more different races with other abilities, but that's just another problem to deal with when you have with this kind of Multiverse.

I didn't watch Universe Survival saga entirely, but even if I did, I doubt I would be able to remember most characters. They're unoriginal, there's nothing interesting about them, they are pretty much forgettable, I could say they're all from Universe 7. It would be a waste of time and a remix of Dragon Ball GT's first saga to explore the Megaverse, an adventure to meet other races you don't know, couldn't care less and maybe, with luck, something at least cool could come up at some point... Emphasis on "at some point". How long would it take until we reach that point? Would we have to endure boredom for such a long time? The only Universe worth visiting is indeed Universe 6, with its races you already know but they are still different and is certain to provide more fun when compared to the other Universes. There's nothing appealing in most of the other Universes and their generic beings that fail to cause an impact due to the lack of creativity to make them remarkable.

Certainly what Dragon Ball Heroes is doing is the way to go. Also because you could still come up with new characters and make sure they're as unique as possible. It's not like we know every single being out there. And because meeting yourself will always be a great concept.

Anyway, as for the thread itself, this is exactly what modern Dragon Ball should be doing. Not just the games, the series too. There's literally no reason to be afraid of doing this when you have games doing it. When Dragon Ball is known to be inspired by comic books ideas and by what's popular. And when you already have the tools to do it. C'mon, popularity is what basically dictates what happens in this franchise nowadays (we had characters return for this reason. We had tournaments with mindless battles for this reason...), today what's popular is the Multiverse idea, for a person to meet themselves and others from another dimension, so let this inspire Dragon Ball too (no harm would come from that, at least no more harm than what's already being done). This very old structure they prefer to tell the sagas is... very old. At least do it while using some interesting ideas.
Dragmobot12 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:25 amBut keep in mind that this project will have literally nothing to do with Super Dragon Ball Heroes, we're talking about a high-budget movie with a possible great storyline.
But then again, it's not like we have "great storyline" outside of Heroes, so... It should be a no-brainer to pick a not-so-great-storyline but one that tries to change the status quo and is out of safe zone, than to pick a not-so-great-storyline that has been told so many times now only with different characters and is stuck in the safe zone.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:01 am

As a better developed SDBH project I guess it could be fun (tho it would be better for a videogame imo), but for the main story I find it as unappealing as unlikely.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:53 pm

I guess the question might as well be asked: would this hypothetical movie have the novelty factor that a movie like Spider-Man: No Way Home has? I get the impression that Heroes already cheapens the appeal of a hypothetical scenario like this.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:31 pm

It could work, but Toriyama and Toyotaro need to write it and I don't want characters used from Heroes. The Heroes original story lines and characters feel like cheesy fan art, I hate it.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:52 pm

It's something that could have worked by bringing in GT so that DBS Goku met the GT Goku.

But Heroes already did the idea so any potential there has already been used up by the idea having already happened.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:43 pm

pepd wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:01 am As a better developed SDBH project I guess it could be fun (tho it would be better for a videogame imo), but for the main story I find it as unappealing as unlikely.
It wouldn't have the same appeal unless they did some crazy cool and unique with it. Like a scenario where Kid Goku and/or Kid Gohan are the protagonists and have to be trained by Vegeta or something. Or they'd have to create unique takes on the alternate versions that we haven't seen before. Super and GT are different enough, but I don't think that's enough to sustain my interest unless a really good writer was involved.