Gowasu, Zasamsu, Christian Griepenkerl and Adolf Hitler

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Gowasu, Zasamsu, Christian Griepenkerl and Adolf Hitler

Post by capsulecorp » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:53 pm

The recent "Gowasu really underestimated him" thread got me thinking about the various similarities between Zamasu and Adolf Hitler. The surface-level similarities are obvious: both are criminally insane genocidal mass murderers, both are driven by a perverse vision of their own race being superior and others inferior, both were responsible for deeds that would be unthinkable by most.

However, there's another similarity that I think has been overlooked by most fans: the roles of Gowasu and Christian Griepenkerl, Hitler's infamous art teacher, who rejected him from the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts twice, with the responses "Sample drawing unsatisfactory. Too few heads" and, later, simply "Not admitted".

I'm skeptical about placing too much responsibility on Gowasu because how could he have known the depths to which his student would sink? However, it's interesting to compare him to Griepenkerl, here. Perhaps becoming a Kai should be more difficult, perhaps Gowasu should have been more careful about screening for humility, empathy, mental health. If he had rejected Zamasu from the start, could this entire disaster have been prevented?

Of course, the parallels we're drawing here is a bit inverted because, in the real world, Hitler WAS rejected from art school and DID turn out to be one of the greatest monsters of human history. Maybe if he had been admitted, the world could have been spared the horrors of the holocaust. It's an interesting historical question that we can never know the answer to, and I can't help but wonder if Toriyama and Toyotaro pondered it as well.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Gowasu, Zasamsu, Christian Griepenkerl and Adolf Hitler

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:42 pm

Godwin’s law has been fulfilled :lol:
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Gowasu, Zasamsu, Christian Griepenkerl and Adolf Hitler

Post by capsulecorp » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:02 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:42 pm Godwin’s law has been fulfilled :lol:
I'm new here but I'm shocked if this is the first time!