Potential fanon explanation for Blue Haired Trunks and why Bulma remembers his hair that way.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinPopo

Potential fanon explanation for Blue Haired Trunks and why Bulma remembers his hair that way.

Post by MajinPopo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:24 pm

So I doubt this needs much set up, but basically in Super, not only was Future Trunks' hair blue, Bulma specifically remembered it being that way.

I have a fanon proposition that can solve this.

Original Timeline: DBZ's Android/Cell Saga goes through as usual. However, Trunks' usage of time travel caused a fragmentation point and creates a whole bunch of temporal anomalies that the Supreme Kai of Time has to fix. Trunks pledges his service to the Time Patrol to help fix these problems he's caused or at least mitigate their effects.

However, in joining the Time Patrol, this Trunks has to be "taken out of time" by Supreme Kai of Time. Doing so would retroactively remove this iteration of Trunks from the timeline, meaning he'd never have gone back in time to begin with. This would create more paradoxes and fragmentations.

Solution: Supreme Kai of Time recognizes the noble Godly redemptive nature of Trunks and his necessity, and thus while removing Trunks from time and enlisting him in the Time Patrol, she needs to jam an alternate timeline into that fragmentation point to keep the whole universal function stable. Basically a temporal bandage. So, she finds a reality that's the closest equivalent to the one she pulled Trunks out of, one where a Future Trunks traveled back to defeat the Androids. The only major differences being hair colour and maybe the status of the Pilaf gang.

Thus, the timeline is kind of restored, but everyone's memories of that whole saga are kind of hazy and inconsistent. Blue Trunks remembers it in Sepia-tone, and Bulma remembers Trunks having blue hair, because it was this Trunks who overwrote the original Trunks' place.

Kid Trunks is still a biological product of the initial timeline and technically a different person to Future Trunks anyway on a slight genetic level, and so continues to exist with lavender hair.

Timelines are maintained in a shaky ramshackle way, like a car constantly having piecemeal repairs.

The knock on effects of Supreme Kai of Time's intervention result in the entirety of the alternate Dragon Ball Super and thus one of several rewritings of End of Z.

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Re: Potential fanon explanation for Blue Haired Trunks and why Bulma remembers his hair that way.

Post by Shintoki » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:50 pm

You are really overthinking it. it's just an overkill artistic liberity with trucks that kinda screws up with the lore.

this is not the first time this happens, bulma hair is purple in canon [as anyone who lurks in kanzenshuu can see from the front page] but toei changed her hair blue. so they probably thought: why not go the extra step!
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

MajinPopo

Re: Potential fanon explanation for Blue Haired Trunks and why Bulma remembers his hair that way.

Post by MajinPopo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:32 pm

Over-complicated explanations to fill plotholes in shows?

That, my friend, is what fanon is all about!

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:42 pm

Fanon explanation is the manga is black and white and it was Blue all along for both Trunks's and Bulma.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:29 pm

TobyS wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:42 pm Fanon explanation is the manga is black and white and it was Blue all along for both Trunks's and Bulma.
Or purple ... or green. And let's not forget that Trunks was the first SSG during the Cell saga.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:57 pm

Change of hair colour is something that happens naturally. Not much of a big deal, really. Granted changing from purple to blue is weird, but naturally having either colour is weird in itself. Just a funny genetical trait in the Briefs family.
TobyS wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:42 pm Fanon explanation is the manga is black and white and it was Blue all along for both Trunks's and Bulma.
I'm pretty sure Bulma has been drawn with purple hair before in one of the rare full or semi colored pages. Or maybe a volume/chapter cover.
Shintoki wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:50 pm this is not the first time this happens, bulma hair is purple in canon [as anyone who lurks in kanzenshuu can see from the front page] but toei changed her hair blue. so they probably thought: why not go the extra step!
Sounds like they only did half the extra step, since Present Trunks still has purple hair.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:10 pm

It becomes a deal when they don't acknowledge said change, something like: "I dyed my hair blue. Did you guys like?", no. Some flashbacks show Z Trunks with blue hair and others are black and white for some strange reason.

They are outright telling their audience that Trunks always had blue hair. Not true.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:19 pm

The real mistake was the DBZ anime not having Trunks and Bulma have the same hair colour in the first place. But yes it was very funny how young Trunks inexplicably has a different hair colour to his mother and his future self.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:24 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:10 pm It becomes a deal when they don't acknowledge said change, something like: "I dyed my hair blue. Did you guys like?", no. Some flashbacks show Z Trunks with blue hair and others are black and white for some strange reason.

They are outright telling their audience that Trunks always had blue hair. Not true.
And they'll be coloring Piccolo's arms and Kuririn's eyes differently in the new movie. This isn't anything new. Goku's Gi was colored differently from the 23rd Budokai to the Saiyan arc and in Z flashbacks to part 1, the Gi was using the Z colors.

The only real issue is both Trunks having different hair colors, but hindsight is 20/20.

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shintoki » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:54 pm

Yuji wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:24 pm
Grimlock wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:10 pm It becomes a deal when they don't acknowledge said change, something like: "I dyed my hair blue. Did you guys like?", no. Some flashbacks show Z Trunks with blue hair and others are black and white for some strange reason.

And they'll be coloring Piccolo's arms and Kuririn's eyes differently in the new movie. This isn't anything new. Goku's Gi was colored differently from the 23rd Budokai to the Saiyan arc and in Z flashbacks to part 1, the Gi was using the Z colors.

The only real issue is both Trunks having different hair colors, but hindsight is 20/20.
to allude this more, they will be coloring the roundy spots on piccolo' arms with the correct manga colors. and finally bring back kuririn's his actual eyes back like OG DB rather than just dark spots.

it's the other way around than toei deliberately changing manga colors to their suit or in the case of kuririn, almost his face design.
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:07 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:57 pm Change of hair colour is something that happens naturally. Not much of a big deal, really. Granted changing from purple to blue is weird, but naturally having either colour is weird in itself. Just a funny genetical trait in the Briefs family.

Sounds like they only did half the extra step, since Present Trunks still has purple hair.
Only in super, the cover pages of the Manga has him blue'd up.

Ironically you think it might have made sense to do lavendar if SSblue was a thing.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:18 pm

Yuji wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:24 pmAnd they'll be coloring Piccolo's arms and Kuririn's eyes differently in the new movie.
I have to wonder the reasoning behind that decision. It's such a random one. Surely they aren't thinking about "to bring the movie closer to the manga continuity by using manga colors", right?

~ War of the Dinobots ~

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:08 am

Fans who take Dragon Ball very seriously probably won't like this, but Toriyama being the creator of Dragon Ball is actually in-universe canon, the characters secretly know who he is, and since he forgot Trunks hair color when making his concept art for Super, everyone just went along with it because you don't argue with the boss.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:11 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:08 am Fans who take Dragon Ball very seriously probably won't like this, but Toriyama being the creator of Dragon Ball is actually in-universe canon, the characters secretly know who he is, and since he forgot Trunks hair color when making his concept art for Super, everyone just went along with it because you don't argue with the boss.

Finally, a sensible conclusion
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:18 am

Looks like Trunks' hair does change color as he ages.
That headcanon is looking more true after today. Or it's like many of you said, it's just closer to Toriyama's vision of the manga.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:56 am

Trunks hair changing to blue once he gets to his teenage years would be a neat idea (especially if they were ever to acknowledge it), if only it didn't conflict with Dragon Ball Online. Trunks still sports his purple hair in there, and it would be hard to explain such difference.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:43 am

It's blue because he's supposed to have his mother's hair color and the anime Bulma is blue. That's how I see it. Considering Toriyama's design sheets since Battle of Gods too.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:38 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:43 am It's blue because he's supposed to have his mother's hair color and the anime Bulma is blue. That's how I see it. Considering Toriyama's design sheets since Battle of Gods too.
I'm curious to see how the anime handles it. If its also blue in that (whenever that comes back) then it's due to him aging in that particular universe. In the manga for Super, I believe it's always blue, but the movie continuity is weird.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:40 am

BWri wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:18 am Looks like Trunks' hair does change color as he ages.
That headcanon is looking more true after today. Or it's like many of you said, it's just closer to Toriyama's vision of the manga.
The problem is Dragon Ball Super Superheroes takes place before EOZ, how does it make sense for Trunks hair to turn blue by aging, when in EOZ who is older has purple hair.

Why does Trunks need to have the same hair like Bulma? None of Vegeta son and daughter has his hair color.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:38 am

The hair colour changing as he grows up sounds fantastic, much better than "oh I dyed my hair while training with the Z-sword".

That happens to many people in real life, it happened to me, although I didn't go from purple to blue. For some reason, it happened sooner for Present Trunks, maybe we can chalk that up to the presence of S-cells since he was 8.
GT Trunks gets the short end of the stick, though. But who knows, maybe in a few years DBS Trunks's hair will be purple again, like in DBO?

Also, if Bulma had purple hair at the beginning, and then green and now blue-ish... it applies to her as well.