Potential fanon explanation for Blue Haired Trunks and why Bulma remembers his hair that way.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

Re: Potential fanon explanation for Blue Haired Trunks and why Bulma remembers his hair that way.

Post by super michael » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:29 pm

Here is one question does Bulma father have blue hair or purple hair? If I am not mistaken Bulma mother has yellow hair.

Krillin1994
Regular

Re: Potential fanon explanation for Blue Haired Trunks and why Bulma remembers his hair that way.

Post by Krillin1994 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:03 pm

Such a weird Head canon explanation.

Obvioulsy out of universe the anime team just decided they wanted Trunks to have the same hair colour as his mother. They could've just as easily made Bulma's hair manga purple in super (kinda surprised they didn't in new film since they are going for manga features for other characters).

In Universe, Trunk's hair changed as he aged, its quite a natural thing in humans children with light blonde hair have it darken as they age a bit.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:24 pm

About that headcanon, we should try to reach a consensus (if such thing is even possible) as to when, more or less, said "change" occured. It may explain why a sixteen-year-old (Movie 2) and a thirty-year-old (Dragon Ball Super) Trunks has blue hair, yes. But:

1 - When did the change happen?

If you say at any point before his sixteen, then we have to figure out an answer for the second question.

2 - Why do we still have Trunkses (both present and future) sporting lilac/purple hair before and after the change is supposed to occur?

We would still have no way to explain how a fourteen-year-old Trunks has blue hair (TV Special flashback), and how an eighteen-year-old (28th tournament) as well as Time Patroller Trunks has purple hair (even GT Trunks too).

Those black and white flashbacks that Toei did would come in handy in this scenario, we could use them to say they probably did it because his hair change was still "undergoing". The thing is, during late Cell saga, Trunks is nineteen years old. So both Trunkses should have had purple hair for a while longer in this case.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:56 am

super michael wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:40 am
BWri wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:18 am Looks like Trunks' hair does change color as he ages.
That headcanon is looking more true after today. Or it's like many of you said, it's just closer to Toriyama's vision of the manga.
The problem is Dragon Ball Super Superheroes takes place before EOZ, how does it make sense for Trunks hair to turn blue by aging, when in EOZ who is older has purple hair.
Are you referring to a colored page in the manga? If so, where does Trunks appear on it in color? Is he on the cover art or something? Genuinely asking. I'm interested to see how he'd eventually appear in the anime since Super had some strange continuity seemingly based on DB Kai (since Gregory was in it and Ginyu-Frog vs Bulma was featured).
Why does Trunks need to have the same hair like Bulma? None of Vegeta son and daughter has his hair color.
I took it to signify that that Briefs family has a very strong hair color gene. What's odd is that Vegeta Jr. has black hair again but then again, we don't know who his parents are, maybe one of them has black hair.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:31 am

BWri wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:56 am
Are you referring to a colored page in the manga? If so, where does Trunks appear on it in color? Is he on the cover art or something? Genuinely asking. I'm interested to see how he'd eventually appear in the anime since Super had some strange continuity seemingly based on DB Kai (since Gregory was in it and Ginyu-Frog vs Bulma was featured).
EoZ has one chapter with limited colors, the hair is plain gray,

Though the same picture can be found in Toriyama's art books fully colored, it's purple.

In the Full Color version of the manga he's always purple. Toriyama himself almost always colors him purple (sometimes very light purple, almost grey).

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:39 am

October 7, 1992

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:45 pm

Civic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Civic » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:56 pm

If they were so keen on making the colours follow the same rules as the manga, why didn't they change Bulma's hair to purple? Bulma changes her hair style all throughout Z, it wouldn't be odd for her to dye her hair. That way it would also match the manga colours.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:26 am

I really hated dealing with the colour change, especially with bulmas comment on remembering him and the flashback to the awfully animated history of trunks special with the redone art.

I just had to settle for the artistic change arguement, a lot easier coming to terms with an outside of universe answer than in universe answer. Now with Trunks hair being blue in the poster for Superhero, the issue will only get more complicated, but if you stick with the outside universe just changing it for the sake of it arguement it gets easier!

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:14 pm

Alien X changed his hair color.

But in seriousness Toei screwed up not making the hair blue from the start of by making Bulma's hair blue.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Sun May 15, 2022 7:16 pm

super michael wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:40 am
BWri wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:18 am Looks like Trunks' hair does change color as he ages.
That headcanon is looking more true after today. Or it's like many of you said, it's just closer to Toriyama's vision of the manga.
The problem is Dragon Ball Super Superheroes takes place before EOZ, how does it make sense for Trunks hair to turn blue by aging, when in EOZ who is older has purple hair.

Why does Trunks need to have the same hair like Bulma? None of Vegeta son and daughter has his hair color.
I think the end of z is going to get sorta retconned.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun May 15, 2022 8:16 pm

For the epilogue, Trunks' hair will be considered as always having been blue, just like for his story in his dark future when Gohan died.
If it is just skipped quickly and it reuses footage from Z/Kai, they'll just "black and white" or sepia the footage so that the viewer is not startled by the color incoherence. If they reanimate it to include it along the story, Trunks will simply have blue hair in the new animation for the epilogue and the new manga panels in the DBS full color edition.

It's the same with Bulma, it is considered she never had those greenish hair and you can see her in flashbacks having very blue hair even as a young kid in Jaco's memories.

If someday, due to artistic decisions, things change again for either Bulma or Trunks, we might see DBS moments being depicted with either of them having purple hair for example, and it will be considered that it was always like that and that they never had blue hair at any point to begin with.

This is how retcons work, including visual retcons: "actually, forget about what you knew, consider it's always been like that all along instead, the previous version was never the truth".

It might rub people the wrong way, but I don't mind, I actually prefer Trunks having blue hair.
Civic wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:56 pm If they were so keen on making the colours follow the same rules as the manga, why didn't they change Bulma's hair to purple?
Because ever since Battle of Gods (or even in artworks from shortly before I think, if you follow it all year by year with the latest big illustration book), Toriyama had already switched to Bulma's hair being blue.
So they now simply consider Bulma's blue hair as being manga-accurate (or Toriyama-accurate if you prefer) for years since Toriyama has been giving her blue hair instead of purple hair for a while now (and also for Trunks - including his kid version - since Battle of Gods).

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sun May 15, 2022 11:29 pm

Cold Skin gets it. It is indeed a visual retcon: Trunks had blue hair in Toriyama's art since at least Battle of Gods. It's not a Toei thing, but I suspect Toei played an indirect role; Bulma's blue-ish hair in the anime likely grew on Toriyama at some point prior to BoG, and in his mind, he probably wanted Trunks to have the same hair color so he went with blue going forward.

All speculative on my part, just so we're crystal, but it seems to line up with the knowledge we currently have.

Also, it just looks rad. I dig it.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Mon May 16, 2022 7:38 am

And now Gotenks hair is part hmm, grey?

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Mon May 16, 2022 9:41 am

Honestly, Toriyama's choice of colors are not always spot on, but they could be limited by the printing technology, because blue coming out violet in print graphics is a common concern, given that it's processed by a color space whose blue hue is not linear (CIELAB). I don't know whether it applies to his case or not.