Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 80 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 80 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:58 am

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 80

ガス VS グラノラ2
Gasu VS Guranora Tsū
Gas vs. Granolla 2

-------------------------------

Release Information:

JAPAN:
Date: January 21, 2022
Publication: V-Jump, March 2022 Issue
Cost: ¥590

(V-Jump is forward-dated two months from its actual release window. Issues are released on the 21st of each month, barring a Sunday or a holiday, in which case the issue gets moved up a day appropriately.)

INTERNATIONAL:
Date: January 20, 2021 (timed to the JP midnight-on-January-21st release)
Publication: Digital (Viz/Shonen Jump + Manga Plus)
Cost: Free

FIRST OFFICIAL TEASE:
Similar to the last couple months, the "Weekly Dragon Ball News" segment posted on the Dragon Ball Official Website on 10 January 2022 featured Victory Uchida (Shueisha employee/mascot, and editor for the Dragon Ball Super manga working alongside Toyotaro and Akira Toriyama) displaying a page/panel tease for the upcoming drafts on screen, which will (tentatively) be shared on January 14. The panel shows Granolla clashing with Gas.

STORYBOARDS/DRAFTS:
The first several pages of any given chapter's roughs/storyboards/drafts have been posted on the official Dragon Ball website for quite some time now (in all likelihood done in an attempt to combat piracy and control the narrative by releasing teases of specific information and context at their own discretion). The drafts for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 80 were posted on January 14 (Japan time). As these specific articles are generally removed from the website upon the chapter's formal release, archived versions of these links (such as this) are generally shared by fandom.

-------------------------------

THREAD/DISCUSSION INFORMATION

This is the "official" discussion thread for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 80. All content regarding this specific chapter would be great to include here in this thread, rather than the dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread. Posts that are specific to the individual chapter in the gigantic thread with no relevance to the larger series will be reported and/or removed.

Q: When will this thread open?

A: This thread will be opened by a Kanzenshuu moderator when the first official promotion of the respective chapter occurs. This may be when its storyboards are shared, or in some kind of formal news article leading up to that point. Please do not create a separate thread of your own to discuss this chapter.

Q: What is the history behind a [blank]-specific discussion thread?

A: We established episode-specific discussion threads beginning with Dragon Ball Kai in 2011, followed by the Dragon Ball Super television series in 2015. These episode-specific threads allowed people to discuss just that: those specific episodes, without being interrupted by other discussions regarding general production, promotion, etc. We didn't create corresponding Dragon Ball Super manga chapter threads at its debut due to the nature of its production: it was initially billed as a "comicalization" of the television series, and the first arc barely stood on its own as a unique production, rather than supplemental/incidental/disposable. We had kept the larger thread out of inertia from those earlier chapters, and have wavered for literal years over whether or not to separate them out.

Q: We've had worthwhile individual chapters since chapter five. This is absurd. Why are you just starting individual discussion threads something like six years into the manga, when the TV series had it from the start?

A: All of that is correct. Maybe we will go back and pull out threads for past chapters. Maybe we won't. We should have done this a long time ago. Better late than never. This is the plan for now on and is not currently up for discussion or reconsideration. Thank you.

Q: OK, but... so what's the point?

A: At Kanzenshuu we believe in history and preservation. It is worthwhile to future versions of ourselves and entirely new future fans to be able to dig back and find real-time reactions to specific productions (such as a specific episode or chapter). It's much easier to do this when the discussions are separated into these unique threads.

Q: When will new threads be created?

A: Threads for new/upcoming manga chapters will be created by a Kanzenshuu administrator at an appropriate point in time following the release of a previous chapter, and ahead of that next chapter's release schedule (which itself includes the official drafts/storyboards).

Q: OK, so what do you expect us to actually discuss in a chapter thread, particularly ahead of its release?

A: For some time now, Shueisha (in all likelihood to combat "leaks" and illegal piracy) has released "draft" pages of upcoming chapters in the two weeks leading up to any given chapter's release. These are official pieces of information dissemination and absolutely up for discussion. We welcome questions about where and how to legally and officially consume the manga. We do not condone nor allow the discussion or encouragement of piracy. Following a chapter's release, of course anything relating to that chapter and its contents are up for discussion in a specific thread.

Q: What kinds of "sources" can we discuss?

A: You can discuss whatever you want, so long as it lives up to the community guidelines. It is recommended that you link to / discuss actual sources of information, rather than second-hand accounts. Twitter and its users are not "sources" of information. Shueisha has its own official Dragon Ball website and weekly news broadcast on YouTube, which will in all likelihood be your actual primary sources of information leading up to a chapter's release.

Q: What if I have something to say about another chapter that's not this chapter?

A: Is what you have to say/ask/post even tangentially related to this chapter? That's fine. Does it have absolutely nothing to do with this chapter? Post it elsewhere. These chapter-specific threads do not automatically close after a new chapter comes out; you are free to keep discussing a specific chapter for as long as you all feel like talking about it.

Q: So what do we do with the big/main thread?

A: The dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread is still perfect for overall/holistic discussion regarding the manga, its production, its promotion, its content relation to other parts of the franchise, etc.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

VegettoEX

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 80 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:50 am

The first official tease/promotion for the chapter has been released (see updated paragraph in the first post), and as such, this thread has been opened.

Please refer to the FAQ section above with regard to what can and should be posted within these individual, dedicated-chapter discussion threads. Thank you!
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:19 pm

What do I expect from this chapter? that Elecc finally steps in and we know at least what his masterplan is about. Maybe it's too soon to know the key elements of the wish that made Gas the strongest(if there's a plot twist at all), but at the very least I want to know what's Step 2.

Just go kill Freeza, Elecc.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:43 pm

I'm guessing Granolah is going to start losing as Gas gets more used to his power, and then Monaito is going to reveal how Bardock beat Gas and Goku or Vegeta will step in to use whatever method that was in tandem with Granolah.

Hoping, if that is the case, that the whole chapter isn't just a fight that ends with the tables turned on Granolah and then the chapter ends - with cliff hanger of Monaito saying "we have to do what Bardock did 40 years ago" or something. I want to actually see a development of something this time.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:56 pm

Oh yes, please. If there's a cliffhanger, and there will be, please let it be about something else, about the next step in this arc. We've worn out all the fighting for a while, I think.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:26 pm

It's time.
Elec please, let us see him and give us hints so we can have a starting point for speculation.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:36 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:43 pm I'm guessing Granolah is going to start losing as Gas gets more used to his power, and then Monaito is going to reveal how Bardock beat Gas and Goku or Vegeta will step in to use whatever method that was in tandem with Granolah.

Hoping, if that is the case, that the whole chapter isn't just a fight that ends with the tables turned on Granolah and then the chapter ends - with cliff hanger of Monaito saying "we have to do what Bardock did 40 years ago" or something. I want to actually see a development of something this time.
I'm expecting exactly that. The saga should be ending within the next couple months or so.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

BWri

Post by BWri » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:55 pm

Hokuto no Ken vibes on that one.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:56 pm

I'm guessing Gas will start to lose but Granolah is exhausted too so both do a tactical retreat for an eventual 2nd round in DBS fashion.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:40 pm

Just move on from Granolah vs Gas.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:08 pm

The first eight pages of storyboards/drafts have been released on the official website (see also: archive link).

The original post in this thread has been updated accordingly.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:11 pm

What if Granolah blows himself up to kill Gas? It won't surprise me if it happens.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:50 pm

I would like this chapter to have more interesting stuff going on than just Granolah vs Gas again, but the title doesn't give me hope.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:56 am

I've never been less invested in a Dragon Ball fight, it's like watching two people's Xenoverse OCs fight it out :yawn:

"My character wished for infinity strength so he wins!"

"NUH-UH My character wished for infinity strength PLUS 1 so he wins!!"

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:16 am

Gas is underperforming like a MF, Jesus Christ what a let down.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:43 am

Some dynamic looking action. Monaito is healing Vegeta, so that's something.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:54 pm

So, what killed the excitement for this arc? The never ending battles or the "it's ending soon" announcement?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:37 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:54 pm So, what killed the excitement for this arc? The never ending battles or the "it's ending soon" announcement?
It's been really tough to put into words for me. Every time Cipher tosses in his two cents about some really cool character beats and such, I'm like... yeah, that's absolutely true and I see it... but... I just... don't care? I really can't explain it, which is why I'm so looking forward to an eventual podcast review with a group about this arc.

I don't give a lick about any of these characters. Looking at the previews here, it's just more of... cool, OK, fights... Nothing I'm seeing month over month, chapter over chapter (this one included, since I'm trying to follow our own rules and keep it strictly on-topic for a chapter-specific thread!) has me engaged. It exits my mind the instant I read it.

And I can't be excited for what's next, because I don't care for what I'm reading now. (Which is the opposite of the previous arc, which I overall really enjoyed, and was excited for what came next, and ultimately got let down.)

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:51 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:37 pm
OLKv3 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:54 pm So, what killed the excitement for this arc? The never ending battles or the "it's ending soon" announcement?
It's been really tough to put into words for me. Every time Cipher tosses in his two cents about some really cool character beats and such, I'm like... yeah, that's absolutely true and I see it... but... I just... don't care? I really can't explain it, which is why I'm so looking forward to an eventual podcast review with a group about this arc.

I don't give a lick about any of these characters. Looking at the previews here, it's just more of... cool, OK, fights... Nothing I'm seeing month over month, chapter over chapter (this one included, since I'm trying to follow our own rules and keep it strictly on-topic for a chapter-specific thread!) has me engaged. It exits my mind the instant I read it.

And I can't be excited for what's next, because I don't care for what I'm reading now. (Which is the opposite of the previous arc, which I overall really enjoyed, and was excited for what came next, and ultimately got let down.)
Yeah, it's really hard to care about what's happening. Granolah's sudden turn to the good guy side was too fast, and Gas is so boring. Their fight feels like a big nothing, and since this is the climax, it doesn't feel like anything will happen to make me care.
For all the faults of the Moro arc, Moro was consistently interesting, and I was invested in finding out how the heroes training will work against him

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:04 pm

Part of me feels it's a bit churlish to take issue with Dragon Ball being heavy on the fights (since that's what it's about), and the quality of the fights as fights has been pretty enjoyable in my opinion - but the "it's ending soon" announcement has concerned me in a way that I wasn't really concerned before, because I'm worried about how much space there is to tell the rest of the story in a way that gives a truly satisfying overall shape to the arc.

Of course, it's not all riding on just this Chapter, and I'm still enjoying the arc overall; I want to see where it goes and I hope it can stick the landing. But it would be a shame to say, when all is said and done, that it's just an arc with some good things in it, when it still has the potential to end up a good arc overall. We'll have to see.