Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 80 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kemuri07
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 80 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by kemuri07 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:51 pm

I still think the thing that kills the momentum for this arc is the month long wait for each chapter. I think a lot of people's concern would be dealt with if we were dealing with a weekly schedule. Because aside from that, I"m enjoying what I'm reading. I like the fights. I actually dig Granolah. And for now, that's enough for me.

Because I also largely believe that this was always meant to be a prelude to the "real story" that this thing has been setting up.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:14 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:51 pm Because I also largely believe that this was always meant to be a prelude to the "real story" that this thing has been setting up.
I hope so. I'm pretty interested in that. Hopefully Frieza is involved and not simply a name drop.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

redon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by redon » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:56 am

Here is my Dragon Ball Super chapter 80 full summary that I can share with you.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:08 am

Thanks again for the summary! Some neat-sounding and not entirely expected things mixed in with some of the things we anticipated, there, and more generally things have moved on in a few important ways while keeping the fight central, so it seems better-balanced than Chapter 79 from the look of the summary. Looking forward to reading it.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:47 am

Seems to be a better chapter than the last one. Not that was hard.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:24 am

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:57 pm

Oh, come on... I'd like to see Bardock's whole fight, not just the last part. Oh well, still glad I'll be able to see something at least.

It may be a nitpick but hopefully his armor is damaged in a different way than the way it's always been represented. It'd be boring if it's damaged in the exact same way it will be again two years after that.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:20 pm

That Bardock attack sounds like a letdown. And Monaito is just the worst

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:41 pm

"I am the strongest!"
"No, I am the strongest!"
😂
On a side note, although I'm liking this arc less as time goes on, I don't dislike the characters themselves. I wonder how things would have gone if Granollah, Monaito and the Heeters had appeared in earlier arcs, with no Dragon Ball instant power shenanigans?

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:40 pm

I just the idea of "Hey, I made a wish for you to become the strongest, so you should be able to control it now"

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:58 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:40 pm I just the idea of "Hey, I made a wish for you to become the strongest, so you should be able to control it now"
It seems like you're missing a word, but I'm assuming you meant "hate".

I won't make a full judgement without the final chapter, but...

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:12 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:40 pm I just the idea of "Hey, I made a wish for you to become the strongest, so you should be able to control it now"

BWri

Post by BWri » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:34 pm

At the very least, there's expanded multiform lore. I'm not sure I'm into anything else about the chapter. Was disappointed to see more fan-servicey references. That's not usually a criticism I make but it seems unnecessary for this chapter.

Oh well, take everything I say with a pinch of salt since I haven't read the chapter yet.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:35 pm

Since we're in full spoiler talk now:

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:53 pm

My various thoughts based on Redon's summary

I thought the last arc kinda pointed out power for power sake doesn't work.

With Angel Moro being unable to control power he didn't train for so I think this has made the arc feel a bit disjointed at the levels of power on display here with no handicap to the fighting.

I suppose I can kinda buy that form is Gas using his peak, and that the wish took in to account him using his peak to be the strongest. But equally Oil and Macki are surprised by him using this form so it doesn't feel like a calculated move for Elec to take this limiter off of Gas' head.

I'm torn about the limiter since it does feel like a rehash of Broly more in line with OG Broly, but considering we had 3 films of OG Broly, then Kale, then Broly done again, it feels a bit overdone.

Also must say it does seem a bit odd that Elec would wait 40 years to try and harness this extra power Gas has. I also suppose it means Gas is a mutant amongst his family? or are we going to see Horny transformed Elec before the end.

I'm hoping that Elec's task he was off to do isn't another case of 'Moro's third wish' and is something substantial (since I feel he could've just done his own jailbreak after being free and eating a few planets). I hope that its not just a personal escape contigency, since tbh with 10 Zuno questions and then making a wish should see them in control of the situation.

I don't see really how Goku or Vegeta can replicate what Bardock did since Monaito conveniently missed that part (yet seems aware Bardock did something clever to beat Gas before). Gas or the Heeters blurting this out would be disatisfying. One notion I have for how to proceed I depends on when Oatmeal came into existence (don't think it was present in the flashback), but if it had observed then we could maybe see Goku or Vegeta use Oatmeal after Granolah loses? But then I suppose Oatmeal could just tell Granolah. Granolah using Saiyan technique to end this conflict would thematically show he's over his single minded grudge.

Here we get confirmation that the Granolah clones are much weaker and Granolah takes damage from them being damaged. If we assume each clone is a direct % split from Granolah, then how do we make sense that UI Goku lost to 50% Granolah and Granolah didn't seem to receive any damage from that before facing off against Vegeta.

So we get two different forms for Gas this chapter alone, which makes 4 different versions of Gas? Plus we can assume that he had a small version of this horned form vs Bardock, rather than grown up? Since Elec is surprised by big Gas?

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:26 am

Krillin1994 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:53 pm Here we get confirmation that the Granolah clones are much weaker and Granolah takes damage from them being damaged. If we assume each clone is a direct % split from Granolah, then how do we make sense that UI Goku lost to 50% Granolah and Granolah didn't seem to receive any damage from that before facing off against Vegeta.
Goku beat 50% Granolah, but then that clone disappeared, meaning that the power integrated itself back into the main Granolah as described in Redon's summary with the clones coming back together for Granolah to do that blast.

Granolah probably did still receive damage from Goku, but it seems that the clones in this chapter actually took some sort of major piercing wounds so it was more pronounced.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:31 am

Krillin1994 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:53 pm Here we get confirmation that the Granolah clones are much weaker and Granolah takes damage from them being damaged. If we assume each clone is a direct % split from Granolah, then how do we make sense that UI Goku lost to 50% Granolah and Granolah didn't seem to receive any damage from that before facing off against Vegeta.
Granolah Built Different. UI Goku Can't handle Granolah. But Vegeta can.... 8)

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:14 am

Krillin1994 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:53 pm My various thoughts based on Redon's summary

I thought the last arc kinda pointed out power for power sake doesn't work.

With Angel Moro being unable to control power he didn't train for so I think this has made the arc feel a bit disjointed at the levels of power on display here with no handicap to the fighting.

I suppose I can kinda buy that form is Gas using his peak, and that the wish took in to account him using his peak to be the strongest. But equally Oil and Macki are surprised by him using this form so it doesn't feel like a calculated move for Elec to take this limiter off of Gas' head.

I'm torn about the limiter since it does feel like a rehash of Broly more in line with OG Broly, but considering we had 3 films of OG Broly, then Kale, then Broly done again, it feels a bit overdone.

Also must say it does seem a bit odd that Elec would wait 40 years to try and harness this extra power Gas has. I also suppose it means Gas is a mutant amongst his family? or are we going to see Horny transformed Elec before the end.

I'm hoping that Elec's task he was off to do isn't another case of 'Moro's third wish' and is something substantial (since I feel he could've just done his own jailbreak after being free and eating a few planets). I hope that its not just a personal escape contigency, since tbh with 10 Zuno questions and then making a wish should see them in control of the situation.

I don't see really how Goku or Vegeta can replicate what Bardock did since Monaito conveniently missed that part (yet seems aware Bardock did something clever to beat Gas before). Gas or the Heeters blurting this out would be disatisfying. One notion I have for how to proceed I depends on when Oatmeal came into existence (don't think it was present in the flashback), but if it had observed then we could maybe see Goku or Vegeta use Oatmeal after Granolah loses? But then I suppose Oatmeal could just tell Granolah. Granolah using Saiyan technique to end this conflict would thematically show he's over his single minded grudge.

Here we get confirmation that the Granolah clones are much weaker and Granolah takes damage from them being damaged. If we assume each clone is a direct % split from Granolah, then how do we make sense that UI Goku lost to 50% Granolah and Granolah didn't seem to receive any damage from that before facing off against Vegeta.

So we get two different forms for Gas this chapter alone, which makes 4 different versions of Gas? Plus we can assume that he had a small version of this horned form vs Bardock, rather than grown up? Since Elec is surprised by big Gas?
Goku will notice the same weakness that Bardock noticed, and will take advantage of it. Nobody told Bardock the weakness, it was his awareness and skill

Nistarkail
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nistarkail » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:52 am

Guys, reading the full spoilers from Twitter, it seems that Gas became like the Incredible Hulk after removed his pendant from the forehead.

It means that every Heeter surely can transform in huge monsters and pass to their "true form"?

In fact if you notice:

- In the first confrontation between Granolah and Oil, the last one managed to fight with a monstrous stamina even taking a lot of hits. Until now, every minor/secondary character were K.O. by the strongest ones with one or two attacks. It's true that Granolah did not want to kill them, but surely Oil has a very huge strength (as Maki and surely Elec).

- Granolah hit Maki and Oil after the recovery from Senzu beam, but they still stand even if their power gap is huge.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:35 am

While I like the themes and the ideas in play here, the actual execution seems very derivative. I can't bother anyone who feels they've seen all of this before.