Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 80 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

chitarra10

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 80 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by chitarra10 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:44 am

redon wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:56 am Here is my Dragon Ball Super chapter 80 full summary that I can share with you.
SERIOUSLY!? Are we just never gonna find out how Bardock defeated Gas!? Aw, what a rip-off!! We've been waiting for that since Monaito started telling the story!! What are they even trying to do with this by giving us half a story, leaving us hanging, and then telling us there's no conclusion!? If Monaito isn't gonna tell us the end of the story, the least they can do is tell it in flashbacks from either Gas's fight or one of the other Heeters watching it happen. Of course, this isn't direct at you, Redon... your early info is always VERY much appreciated, please never stop doing this because we freaking love you for it. :D

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:42 pm

chitarra10 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:44 am SERIOUSLY!? Are we just never gonna find out how Bardock defeated Gas!? Aw, what a rip-off!! We've been waiting for that since Monaito started telling the story!! What are they even trying to do with this by giving us half a story, leaving us hanging, and then telling us there's no conclusion!?
But it's shown how Bardock defeated Gas in this chapter, with an attack similar to how Goku defeated Frieza on Namek.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:13 pm

Looking to the scans, If that's the last part of Bardock vs Gas the most surprising thing is Bardock still having his scouter on. :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:46 pm

Nistarkail wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:52 am It means that every Heeter surely can transform in huge monsters and pass to their "true form"?
Even if they can, they would still be weak to everyone around because only Gas is post-wish.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:06 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:13 pm Looking to the scans, If that's the last part of Bardock vs Gas the most surprising thing is Bardock still having his scouter on. :lol:
Gas can't even break a scouter by powering up..no wonder Elec chose Granolah over this guy, that's like basic DB 101.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:29 am

Good, Bardock's armor is torn differently, giving some variety to his overall design. That said, Bardock's tail is nowhere to be seen, even in the panel where we get to see his back. :P

Too bad this is as much as we're gonna be able to see about Bardock fighting in the manga, oh well. Some great shots, though. If it ever gets animated, the whole sequence will look great as avatar.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:38 am

Well, that happened. A lot of action, but not a lot of story progression. I have no idea how this arc is gonna manage to end.
Gas' evolution in the chapter kinda reminds me of Super Saiyan 4 in a way. Gas takes on a stronger, bigger form but loses control of himself, and then when he regains control, he transforms into a kind of hybrid state... I don't know, it just gave me the same vibes as Goku's first SS4 transformation in GT.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:38 am

So Gas, who has to be about the most uninspiring DB-antagonist ever (even Jiren had a more profound personality), gets a random power-up and a new set of horns, that is basically it to be excited about for this chapter?

Really, i don't even have the impression they are trying to tell something anymore, it's all just fighting with very little story progression.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:41 am

I didn't think I'd have much to say, but there might be a thing or two:

This month's chapter avoids some of the pitfalls of the previous, as far as having things actually happen during the fight. One part I kinda liked is that this is probably the most "human" portrayal of the Heeters so far. It's refreshing to see Macki and Oil genuinely shaken, and as it turns out, Elec does have full confidence in his little brother -- which gives Gas the confidence to access his full potential. As I said a while ago, these guys are more compelling when all four of them are present, and it's really Elec that makes the group tick.

That aside, this whole third act is still profoundly boring. Different month, same filler; the manga apparently forgot that Granolah is the arc's main character since he's reduced to a passive bystander to Gas's situation, and Gas's situation means fuck all because this guy has done absolutely nothing to affect Granolah's story outside of his one-sided beef. Neither character's threads are dovetailing in any capacity. The focus is all over the place, so it's hard to care about this little (now taller) runt randomly becoming central to the plot at the expense of the characters that mattered up until now.

It's possible that Granolah's own choices about revenge will tie into the Heeters and their internal drama, but when or if that even happens, it's only bound to make their battle look better in hindsight, or on re-reads. Right now, it's just a fight instead of a meaningful conflict. It's everything I vehemently despise about Dragon Ball spin-offs, coalesced into one spectacularly mediocre climax.

Next arc when?
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:43 am

Gas and Granolah fight.

Granolah is back on the ropes and Gas seems invincible.

We've been doing this song and dance for the last 3 months. This chapter is garbage. This arc is terrible.

But ignoring all that, it's so creatively-bereft to do another "Person gets huge when mad, loses themself, calms down and gets slimmer" gimmick right after Broly, Kale, various super saiyan transformations, Cell, etc. Jesus Christ. This is the nadir of the manga thus far. The Moro stuff was bloated and for most of its run went nowhere, but at least there was potentially interesting stuff going on; different locations, different characters, different arc structure. The last 7 or so months have been this same group of characters doing the same thing over and over. This is nothing. This is nonsense.

This is shit.

Even artistically, Gas' transformed state looks like stuff we've seen so many times in this franchise. If he's meant to be berserk, and it's meant to be a form that wouldn't stick around, at least do SOMETHING other than jacked screaming guy. Holy balls.

Just awful all around.
Last edited by TKA on Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:43 am

Alruneia wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:38 am Well, that happened. A lot of action, but not a lot of story progression. I have no idea how this arc is gonna manage to end.
Gas' evolution in the chapter kinda reminds me of Super Saiyan 4 in a way. Gas takes on a stronger, bigger form but loses control of himself, and then when he regains control, he transforms into a kind of hybrid state... I don't know, it just gave me the same vibes as Goku's first SS4 transformation in GT.
Cool fight but we just ended up right back to where we were 2 chapters ago. Gas is stronger than everyone, everyone is beat up and fucked, and the only hope is that they can replicate what Bardock did. The plot did not move at all besides the reveal that every Heater has a berserk form

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:53 am

Lmao, Gas' transformation looks like Garlic Jr's.

Anyways, I am bored. I won't even bother with a long post-chapter comment.

Although, at least Bardock didn't go SSJ.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:54 am

Also, I can at least say the comparisons to DBS Broly are not unwarranted now: this is just Toyotaro's much, much, much, much, much worse take on that film.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:00 pm

Some great full-page, two-page, and limited panel spreads. The Bardock panel is striking; great use of tones, and I'm glad that the preceding Goku panel isn't a direct trace of it (even though it justifiably could've been).

Unsealed Gas is Blanka.

Good character design work again by Toyotaro to foreshadow Gas' horns. Even if that wasn't initially planned, it works well in hindsight.

Maki says "when our instincts are unleashed, we lose all sense of self". So they all have unsealed forms? Is this a loose translation?
OLKv3 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:43 am Cool fight but we just ended up right back to where we were 2 chapters ago. Gas is stronger than everyone, everyone is beat up and fucked, and the only hope is that they can replicate what Bardock did. The plot did not move at all besides the reveal that every Heater has a berserk form
Essentially, except there's no senzu now, so I'm not sure what comes next. I guess we're doing the "exhaust every option" thing DB has been doing for a while, which has its ups and downs.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:02 pm

You know, I was expecting a trainwreck, basically what I didn't want to happen, happened: the fight took the entire chapter and the saiyans jumped in at the end, sorta, like we all foresaw. The narrative is still where it was last month, they are still fighting, and they keep spending precious, limited time on more - repetitive- fights instead of just moving to part 2 of Elecc's plan. We are stuck in this second act for ages now, I feel.

That said, I kinda liked this. I liked this new fact about Gas and his race, I didn't fully understand how could Bardock defeat him or how did base Goku just made him fly away, I guess I'll see that on a second read.
I liked Gas' design is there for something, like Broly's tiara. His beast form isn't something that drives crazy, although those giant fangs work for me, and he even went to town with his friends, reminded me of the ohzaru form.
I enjoyed the violence, how easy and violently he took out Granny and Geets, that's what I wanted from the get go, instead of 60% of the chapter being Gas fighting evenly. But well, at least that was addressed somehow.

I also liked the ending's implication, Gas having a re-match with this Bardock look-a-like, too bad Goku is battered and cannot/should not put up a fight, but let's see how they work around it. I feel Gas will be the one to tell us how that fight went about.

Elecc is on the battlefield now, I still don't like the fact that this is taking so fucking long, but at least now we had some character-ish development for Gas, or some proper attention.

I'm feeling there won't be another move for Elecc, there's no time, this arc should be done in like 3 chapters at most (I don't remember at the eve of what chapter of the previous arc, we learned we were arriving to the climax, so who knows how many chapters left we might have).
This arc needs to move on, Gas should put them down quickly and get Elecc on the front seat. But I feel we'll get half a chapter of Goku trying to fight him and losing.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:06 pm

I dunno man, I don’t have a problem at all with the latest chapters of Dragon Ball Super—a fighting story—just being those fights. They’re drawn cool, I like to see the techniques, and to me it’s a lot of fun. It’s also a good payoff after many chapters of this arc being exposition dump and setup, building up to this conflict on planet cereal. Granolah himself has been an entertaining fighter to watch/read, with all his assassin skills combined with the dragons power-up.

I still hope Frieza makes some kind of appearance this arc.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:17 pm

While I often get pissed with the excessive doom and gloom around the manga, I have to agree the monthly schedule hurts our impression of the story very badly.

Characters in this franchise solve their issues by fighting, so we'll obviously have lots of that. Thing is, the original manga sprinkled story beats at least once every two weeks, it wasn't a big deal if the whole thing was fighting for a chapter or two. Now we have to wait a whole month to get the story beats and even more fighting. There's no way this won't be boring after some time.

Hopefully we'll get past EoZ one day, enabling Toyo and Toriyama to use all the characters in creative ways. I'm pretty sure the obligation to maintain the status quo makes it harder to write something narratively interesting.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:20 pm

Boring and slow. The story is exactly where it was last month, except that Granolah is now more tired and Gas has the upper hand and a new set of horns, which is not much progression.

At least the art and panelling was great, I won’t lie. Very good work on that front from Toyotaro.

I guess he’s slowing the story down as much as he can before the next arc starts in April? Is this the end? Just a Granolah vs Gas fight? Yawn. What a shame…
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:32 pm

FlpShimizu wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:17 pm Hopefully we'll get past EoZ one day, enabling Toyo and Toriyama to use all the characters in creative ways. I'm pretty sure the obligation to maintain the status quo makes it harder to write something narratively interesting.
Do we honestly need to? Super would be fine to end with the last arc being a 5-6 chapter long rematch against Beerus with Goku finally surpassing him.

EoZ always felt like the open-ended conclusion where any fan can just continue Goku's story however they want.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:00 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:32 pm
FlpShimizu wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:17 pm Hopefully we'll get past EoZ one day, enabling Toyo and Toriyama to use all the characters in creative ways. I'm pretty sure the obligation to maintain the status quo makes it harder to write something narratively interesting.
Do we honestly need to? Super would be fine to end with the last arc being a 5-6 chapter long rematch against Beerus with Goku finally surpassing him.

EoZ always felt like the open-ended conclusion where any fan can just continue Goku's story however they want.
That would be a cool ending, but I don't think Toei and Shueisha are planning to stop milking our favorite cow so soon.

Super Hero is already "dangerously" close to EoZ, I don't know how long they can keep cramming stuff in this period of the series.

And if I'm being honest, I love this shit so much that the thought of it ending forever is something I actively avoid :lol:
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"