Are you team Zamasu or team Black?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Are you team Zamasu or team Black?

Post by Kappa » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:54 pm

I'm team Black. He has a better design and cooler attacks, IMO.

How bout you guys?
Last edited by Kappa on Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Are you team Zamasu or team Black?

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:15 pm

I view them (him?) as the same character. Technically different entities, yes, but they are pretty much the same character with the same personality and the same goals.
So I guess I am "team Zamasu" because I prefer that name. :wink:
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:27 pm

Probably Team Zamasu. Goku Black might have a "cooler" design but the intention for his creation I find artistically wanting. I don't care for the Saiyan model aggrandisement which doesn't seem to be going away any time soon. I'd like to see some subversion with the non Saiyans making strides through innovation and will. Zamasu doesn't really fit that mould but I did enjoy some aspects of his character like the early critic and his magic.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:43 pm

There is only one team and it's Team Zamasu.

But I thank you for this thread, I shall take the opportunity to say this, this is a pet peeve of mine.

You know, I don't understand why some people insist that Black and Zamasu are totally different characters. The only thing that's different between them, is that one fought Goku and wished to switch body with him, while the other never fought Goku and wished for Immortality instead. So one is obsessed with battle, while the other is not.

So they obviously have (one) difference, but I don't understand why some people say things like "Black is great! But Zamasu sucks" or "Zamasu reveal ruined Black for me" or "Black was great before it turned out he's Zamasu".

Like... they are the same person :crazy: How can you like Black and dislike Zamasu or viceversa, they are literally the same person with the same goal and mindset :eh: Black even calls himself Zamasu. "Goku Black" is just a stupid nickname Future Bulma invented...

Anyway, I think Fused Zamasu has the best design out of all of them, so I am Team Zamasu I guess?

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:34 pm

FTW

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:01 pm

I like all 3 of them equally and it fits since they are the same person.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:43 pm

Black, hands down. He is the alpha of the team.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:39 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:15 pm I view them (him?) as the same character. Technically different entities, yes, but they are pretty much the same character with the same personality and the same goals.
So I guess I am "team Zamasu" because I prefer that name. :wink:
Not necessarily. Being in a Saiyan’s body changed Zamasu’s personality somewhat, he’s more interested in testing his power and becoming stronger than his original body counterpart. Instead of wishing for immortality and killing the Dragon Team easily, he preferred to take the harder route, which is a typical thing a Saiyan would do.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:47 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:43 pm Like... they are the same person :crazy: How can you like Black and dislike Zamasu or viceversa, they are literally the same person with the same goal and mindset :eh: Black even calls himself Zamasu. "Goku Black" is just a stupid nickname Future Bulma invented...
Actually, Black referred to himself as Son Goku when he first appeared.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:48 pm

I'm in favor of them getting married. :D
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:59 pm

Aim wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:47 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:43 pm Like... they are the same person :crazy: How can you like Black and dislike Zamasu or viceversa, they are literally the same person with the same goal and mindset :eh: Black even calls himself Zamasu. "Goku Black" is just a stupid nickname Future Bulma invented...
Yeah because otherwise that would have spoiled his real identity to the audience :wink:

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:17 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:48 pm I'm in favor of them getting married. :D
I guess you could say they are... twin flames! :D

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:38 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:59 pm
Yeah because otherwise that would have spoiled his real identity to the audience :wink:
I think it was more so to shit on Trunks since he knew that Goku was a hero to him, it’s super creepy. Imagine traveling to the past for help and meet the legend, the myth, Son Goku, who helps you defeat this insanely powerful artificial being, then after going back to your timeline and securing peace twice, he shows up. You’re confused, he sounds and looks just like him, he’s super ducking strong as well it’s scary. For some reason he wants to wipe out the world, he doesn’t talk exactly like him though, but it’s no doubt it’s him, it just would mess with your mind. Poor trunks and Bulma.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:11 pm

Aim wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:38 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:59 pm
I think it was more so to shit on Trunks since he knew that Goku was a hero to him, it’s super creepy. Imagine traveling to the past for help and meet the legend, the myth, Son Goku, who helps you defeat this insanely powerful artificial being, then after going back to your timeline and securing peace twice, he shows up. You’re confused, he sounds and looks just like him, he’s super ducking strong as well it’s scary. For some reason he wants to wipe out the world, he doesn’t talk exactly like him though, but it’s no doubt it’s him, it just would mess with your mind. Poor trunks and Bulma.
Well of course, but I was referring to the Meta reason. As in, the writers didn't want to spoil Black's identity.

It's the same reason why Black, for whatever reason, chose to change his clothes from the outfit he had as Supreme Kai apprentice. It's because it would be clear that he's Zamasu if he still wore his old clothes.

In-universe, Yes, Goku Black didn't tell Trunks about his true identity, so that he could torment him. And we see that he succeeded in his goal, because Trunks had legit PTSD, often having nightmares and imagining Goku Black. His first reaction upon seeing Goku (the real Goku) was to attack him, so Black succeeded in his goal to give Trunks PTSD.

That's why Zamasu is my favourite villain and the best villain. No other villain can quite compare to his level of savagery. Sure Frieza was ruthless and cold-blooded, but Zamasu's level of savagery is twisted, because he doesn't just kill everyone, he kills everyone while using the body of the most beloved hero.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:25 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:43 pm There is only one team and it's Team Zamasu.

But I thank you for this thread, I shall take the opportunity to say this, this is a pet peeve of mine.

You know, I don't understand why some people insist that Black and Zamasu are totally different characters. The only thing that's different between them, is that one fought Goku and wished to switch body with him, while the other never fought Goku and wished for Immortality instead. So one is obsessed with battle, while the other is not.

So they obviously have (one) difference, but I don't understand why some people say things like "Black is great! But Zamasu sucks" or "Zamasu reveal ruined Black for me" or "Black was great before it turned out he's Zamasu".

Like... they are the same person :crazy: How can you like Black and dislike Zamasu or viceversa, they are literally the same person with the same goal and mindset :eh: Black even calls himself Zamasu. "Goku Black" is just a stupid nickname Future Bulma invented...

Anyway, I think Fused Zamasu has the best design out of all of them, so I am Team Zamasu I guess?
Zamasu and Goku Black had different lived differently, it is sort of how Future Trunks and Trunks had lived differently or Future Gohan and Present Gohan.

Although the reason why Merged Zamasu was permanent is because the individual are the same soul, so in theory Future Trunks and Present Trunks or Future Gohan and Present Gohan would be permanent. Heck Future Trunks and Future Trunks would be permanent.

I prefer Goku Black or the other choice Merged Zamasu (Manga).

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:03 pm

super michael wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:25 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:43 pm There is only one team and it's Team Zamasu.

Zamasu and Goku Black had different lived differently, it is sort of how Future Trunks and Trunks had lived differently or Future Gohan and Present Gohan.

Although the reason why Merged Zamasu was permanent is because the individual are the same soul, so in theory Future Trunks and Present Trunks or Future Gohan and Present Gohan would be permanent. Heck Future Trunks and Future Trunks would be permanent.

I prefer Goku Black or the other choice Merged Zamasu (Manga).
The Zamasu/Black situation is not comparable to the Gohan or Trunks situation.

Present Trunks grew up in a time of peace and was raised by Vegeta, while Future Trunks was raised in an apocalyptic time and never knew his father.

Present Gohan grew up with his parents and friends, while Future Gohan lost his father at an early age and had to step into a leadership role.

Meanwhile the only thing that is different between Black and Zamasu is that Present Zamasu (AKA Goku Black) fought Goku Black, while Future Zamasu (AKA the Immortal one) didn't.

Their stories are different because of this if we want to be pedantic, but they are not DIFFERENT ENOUGH to be considered "two separate characters", at least for the purpose of the story, they are not. On the contrary, they are Canonically stated to be perfectly in synch and unbeatable due to being the same person.

So in short if you are "Team Black", you are automatically "Team Zamasu" too. And likewise, if you are "Team Zamasu", you are automatically "Team Black" too.

The only way you can argue that you are *only* on one Team is if your only metric for judging them is their design. So you prefer the Kai aesthetic or the Saiyan aesthetic and dislike the other. But then again, judging a character only based on their design is very shallow :wink:

In which case, as I said, I would be "Team Zamasu" then. Simply because I think the Kai aesthetic looks much better than yet another Saiyan (as elegant and beautiful as Black is). I just prefer the way Zamasu (the Immortal one and the Fused one) look...

But I would never say that I like Zamasu while I hate Black or viceversa, because it doesn't make sense. Their personality and motivations are almost identical. While you can indeed say that you love F. Gohan and hate P. Gohan or viceversa, since these two counterparts had such different stories and backgrounds...

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:27 pm

Probably Zamasu as the series is oversaturated with Saiyans.

I'd like to see an AU version where he never fully went off the deep end.

Black could be cool if being in a saiyan body actually changed him and made him drift from his original mission and did something different. Like the lust for combat made him enslave people to fight in arenas or some shit. But currently they are both too similar to each other. Black is Zamasu.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:22 pm

TobyS wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:27 pm Probably Zamasu as the series is oversaturated with Saiyans.

Black could be cool if being in a saiyan body actually changed him and made him drift from his original mission and did something different. Like the lust for combat made him enslave people to fight in arenas or some shit. But currently they are both too similar to each other. Black is Zamasu.
I mean, we did see that though, not to that extreme, but Black’s personality definitely change in the anime at least somewhat. He completely rejected becoming immortal choosing instead to fight as much as possible to be become stronger and stronger, heck he even loved pain.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:37 am

Aim wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:22 pm
TobyS wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:27 pm Probably Zamasu as the series is oversaturated with Saiyans.

I mean, we did see that though, not to that extreme, but Black’s personality definitely change in the anime at least somewhat. He completely rejected becoming immortal choosing instead to fight as much as possible to be become stronger and stronger, heck he even loved pain.
Kinda pointless to become immortal if your end goal is fusing with one.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:19 am

ZombieVito wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:37 am
Aim wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:22 pm

Kinda pointless to become immortal if your end goal is fusing with one.
That was a last ditch effort, not the end goal.

They would have had an easier time if they were both immortal.