Dragonball Super doesn't feel like Dragonball

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ten na nGael

Re: Dragonball Super doesn't feel like Dragonball

Post by Ten na nGael » Fri May 27, 2022 10:20 am

The anime doesn't feel the same, but that's more to do with changes in how anime is produced and the current popular styles in Japan. Similarly late Z is quite different from early Dragonball.

The manga feels the same throughout to me though, witht the biggest shift being around the appearance of Tenshinhan and Piccolo rather than anything in Super.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:42 am

Mireya wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:54 pm With all due respect to the fans, it just doesn't feel like Dragonball. I don't know why GT had to stop with 64 episodes when it had more of a DB feeling while Super is still on-going.

One of the reasons is the characters writing. Goku seems dumber, more outgoing and flat out stupid to the point it isn't funny. Goku from the original manga had more nuances in his behavior. He wasn't a flat out moron... he just suffered from social awkwardness, which is different. As an example, look at "real" Goku's reaction to when Kuririn asks if he's happy or scared of the androids and Cell and look at Super's Goku's reaction to when Kuririn poses him with the same question. One he's normally responding calmly all while not letting go of his excitement. The other, he's just doing a big teeth smile like he always does in Super and looking sillier.

Vegeta seems more true to his original character, but not quite there. It's visible that he can't let go of his wish of surpassing Goku, while in the Kid Boo fight he made peace with the fact Goku's the champion.

The other aspect would be the soundtracks... more subjective, but the theme songs don't resemble and don't impact the material the same way the Z did. It's too happy, too "all-good", too game-ish... while the Z's had more of an intense tune, and stuck more.

The art, while understandable as it changes, but... future Trunks for instance. While did they portray him in such a weak shape and immature facial structures when his original self looked very buff vs Cell and with mature facial shape? This the change in art doesn't excuse. They could change the art style but remain faithful. Tenshinhan, too... where's his jacked self that stopped Boo's attack? Did he go through a special diet to lose his amazing shape? Come on now...

There's more, but I can point them out as the thread goes, if it gets the expected activity.

But as a whole, Super seems like a farce to me. Can't enjoy it. Would have dropped it a lot sooner if not for the Dragonball name.
So I find myself in the same place and it may be because of the way in which cartoon styles progressed through time.

Dragonball the original series is very much an 80s style anime. Watch other anime or cartoons from that time period and you see similar humor and vibes that surround it with the series starting in ‘86 and ending in ‘89.
As you transition to Z you can see the new ‘90s influences taking root that were present even at the end of the original Dragonball anime. It helps that the series itself naturally took this turn but it also coincided with the turn to “kid drama” shows like Batman the animated series or Power Rangers which explored more serialized concepts that were not similar in structure to manga or comics. You can even see the influence with the Rock the Dragon theme song and the tonal shifts of the series right up to the end of Z. GT reflected that weird edge grunge phase everybody went through in the 90s. It didn’t pan out well but it felt like it was part of the series but modernized.

Enter Dragonball Super, removed several decades from the original series it is a product of it time and seems to reflect more of that CalArts cartoon style approach which is very popular now. Silly over the top characterization with little nuance and wide-eyed protagonists. My personal take is that DB Super is what you get if you did the series in that modern CalArt style and for me that helps me rationalize its direction a little better.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:41 am

Dragon ball Super doesn't feel like Dragon ball ? It actually does heck even Dragon Ball GT does feel like Dragon Ball !

Why is that ? Well because of shows put emphasis on goofy moment by time to time. I would argue that in the entirety of Dragon Ball the sole time Dragon Ball didn't feel like Dragon Ball was during the Cyborg/Cell/Android saga.

So for me it's that whole Saga that feel out of place there is hardly fun moment at least in the manga it's all serious no gag whereas in the anime thx to the fillers episode there is bits of funny moment (Like Gohan and Goku meeting Tao Pai Pai for example)

For Dragon Ball Super for me it's sligtly better than Dragon Ball GT because it use it's cast of characters more, for example we have great time with Jaco / Gohan / Kuririn / Android 17 / Piccolo / Tenshinhan and heck even Master Roshi. In GT those character do hardly shit.

If you read Dragon Ball up until Piccolo Daimao, Dragon Ball is goofy with some serious moment then there is a shift up until Majin Buu where we see that finally it has return to its root.

Of course Dragon Ball Super is far from perfect and I agree that Goku's character is bad utterly bad and there is plot / storyline that are worth being corrected/adressed.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

CrazyPenguin

Post by CrazyPenguin » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:58 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:40 am Maybe that's a good thing?

Things should evolve, instead of being stuck in the past. If you miss the old Dragon Ball you can still go watch it, but Super should be its own product and not try to replicate the past at every turn. For this I respect Super a lot, because it has introduced many new and unique elements (the Multiverse, Destroyers and Angels, the Time Rings, Ultra Instinct, etc.).

Dragonball devolved with Super, did not evolve. Its a disappointment. They are just re-using same things from DBZ and making it worse. Revival of Frieza, now Cell, Androids, future Trunks again with another crisis to go back in time, lazy quick transformations (except Ultra Instinct), even with Gohan now, lazy writing, examples are many, too many to count. Its definitely not its own product and tries way too hard to replicate DBZ or other shows shown by tournament of power.

Super is just a quick money grab from fans and merchandise. That is why this show is bad. Borderline bad as GT. But fans will keep supporting it no matter what random garbage they throw. That is what frustrates me the most, fans accepting obvious copy/paste to bluntly make money instead of having a interest in making a good series.

Fan made comics have greater and better plot then Super. Fans do a far better job making a good Dragonball story.
:clap: DRAGON BALL ULTIMATE TEAM viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40166 :clap:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:06 pm

CrazyPenguin wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:58 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:40 am Maybe that's a good thing?

Things should evolve, instead of being stuck in the past. If you miss the old Dragon Ball you can still go watch it, but Super should be its own product and not try to replicate the past at every turn. For this I respect Super a lot, because it has introduced many new and unique elements (the Multiverse, Destroyers and Angels, the Time Rings, Ultra Instinct, etc.).

Dragonball devolved with Super, did not evolve. Its a disappointment. They are just re-using same things from DBZ and making it worse. Revival of Frieza, now Cell, Androids, future Trunks again with another crisis to go back in time, lazy quick transformations (except Ultra Instinct), even with Gohan now, lazy writing, examples are many, too many to count. Its definitely not its own product and tries way too hard to replicate DBZ or other shows shown by tournament of power.

Super is just a quick money grab from fans and merchandise. That is why this show is bad. Borderline bad as GT. But fans will keep supporting it no matter what random garbage they throw. That is what frustrates me the most, fans accepting obvious copy/paste to bluntly make money instead of having a interest in making a good series.

Fan made comics have greater and better plot then Super. Fans do a far better job making a good Dragonball story.
I mean, people like you also complain about the FT arc ending, even though it was the most original and unprecedented ending for any DB storyline ever.

If that ending was a copy-paste of DBZ, it would have stopped at ep. 66 (hero kills the villain with really strong big attack, uses Dragon Balls to wish everyone back, happy ending).

You'll complain regardless, even when they are doing their own thing and subverting the tropes established by DBZ.

It is amusing to me how people can complain about Trunks coming back to ask for help, while simultaneously complaining that he DIDN'T get a happy ending like in Z. Do you want a copy-paste or not?

CrazyPenguin

Post by CrazyPenguin » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:37 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:06 pm I mean, people like you also complain about the FT arc ending, even though it was the most original and unprecedented ending for any DB storyline ever.

If that ending was a copy-paste of DBZ, it would have stopped at ep. 66 (hero kills the villain with really strong big attack, uses Dragon Balls to wish everyone back, happy ending).

You'll complain regardless, even when they are doing their own thing and subverting the tropes established by DBZ.

It is amusing to me how people can complain about Trunks coming back to ask for help, while simultaneously complaining that he DIDN'T get a happy ending like in Z. Do you want a copy-paste or not?
Never complained about FT arc ending, I complain about Super ruining what DBZ made good. Super revived all of that and ruined it by lazy writing. FT ending was a lazy witting, call in ZENO erase everything, problem fixed. Why don't they just use ZENO to erase all villain's then, Moro, Broly, ect.. screw doing anything, just sit back and relax.

Again never complained about any happy ending, don't even care for happy ending.

Again this is not their own thing, this is a bad COPY/PASTE from DBZ. They are REPEATING the same things just to get a quick buck from it. Frieza, Cell, Vegeta's sacrifice, Red Ribon, ect... I can't understand how fans can't notice something so obvious and still support it.

TwooGiz

Post by TwooGiz » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:24 pm

I thought it was obvious that DBS is subpar compared to the original run of Dragonball. DBS has its moments but it doesn't have arcs that are 100% solid. All of us and many others grew up wanting more Dragonball content. GT was hype for me as a child getting to see more of the story. And now that the canon story is here I don't really care lol. Maybe a little too late for me.

DBS for the most part feels like a money grab for everyone who wants more Dragonball. It's there for the people who want it. And for the people who don't there's always the OG stuff. I'm kinda meh on Super myself. Don't hate it or love it.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:11 pm

CrazyPenguin wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:37 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:06 pm I mean, people like you also complain about the FT arc ending, even though it was the most original and unprecedented ending for any DB storyline ever.

Never complained about FT arc ending, I complain about Super ruining what DBZ made good. Super revived all of that and ruined it by lazy writing. FT ending was a lazy witting, call in ZENO erase everything, problem fixed. Why don't they just use ZENO to erase all villain's then, Moro, Broly, ect.. screw doing anything, just sit back and relax.

Again never complained about any happy ending, don't even care for happy ending.

Again this is not their own thing, this is a bad COPY/PASTE from DBZ. They are REPEATING the same things just to get a quick buck from it. Frieza, Cell, Vegeta's sacrifice, Red Ribon, ect... I can't understand how fans can't notice something so obvious and still support it.
The logic can be applied to DBZ too.

Why don't they just wish for Frieza/Cell/Buu to be teleported right in the middle of the sun? Let's not act like DBZ had stellar writing because you can easily find loopholes like this one.

Everyone noticed that Vegeta's fight against Toppo was a callback to his fight against Buu, they literally put the flashback there. People still didn't care because Super was genuinely entertaining and enjoyable to watch.

In the end, even the hate watchers were always back each week to discuss the new episode.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:48 pm

CrazyPenguin wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:37 am

I mean the ending of the arc shown exactly why they couldn't just use Zeno, since he would just get annoyed and destroy everything.

CrazyPenguin

Post by CrazyPenguin » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:58 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:11 pm In the end, even the hate watchers were always back each week to discuss the new episode.
Hate watchers ? Really ? Criticizing the show you are fan of is not hating. If I hated the show I would never watch it, never follow anything new about it, neither would I watch Dragonball Evolution knowing from trailer it would be complete crap.

I come back to vent and discuss issues of the direction of this show. I just don't understand how people can support anything the show offers and still call themselves fans. As long as majority supports crap being thrown, they will keep throwing it, its easy money for them.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:13 am

CrazyPenguin wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:58 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:11 pm In the end, even the hate watchers were always back each week to discuss the new episode.
Hate watchers ? Really ? Criticizing the show you are fan of is not hating. If I hated the show I would never watch it, never follow anything new about it, neither would I watch Dragonball Evolution knowing from trailer it would be complete crap.

I come back to vent and discuss issues of the direction of this show. I just don't understand how people can support anything the show offers and still call themselves fans. As long as majority supports crap being thrown, they will keep throwing it, its easy money for them.
Yes, hate watchers.
Hate-watching is the activity of watching a television show (or film) with the intention of acquiring amusement from the mockery of its content or subject. Closely related to anti-fan behaviours, viewers who partake in hate-watching derive pleasure and entertainment from a show's absurdities or failures.[1] The act of hate-watching is premised on the audience engaging with a television text through a layer of irony.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate-watching

It reminds me of quite a lot of people from the old episode discussion threads.
I just don't understand how people can support anything the show offers and still call themselves fans. As long as majority supports crap being thrown, they will keep throwing it, its easy money for them.
I think Super introduced the best villain in the entire franchise (I'll let you guess who that is) so I have no problem supporting it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CrazyPenguin

Post by CrazyPenguin » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:02 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:13 am
I think Super introduced the best villain in the entire franchise (I'll let you guess who that is) so I have no problem supporting it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Judging by your picture you would say Zamasu. He is not even close to how good of character introduction was Frieza, Cell, OG Broly or Vegeta/Majin Vegeta. Vegeta being one of the best villain's to become anti hero and characters in entire franchise.

They started good with introduction of Beerus, but made him a side character in the show. Jiren was also a good introduction but made him an OP character with no story, then added some lazy writing for him. Broly was also one of the best characters they brought back to the show as he had no real spotlight or saga in DBZ, but they made him a good guy which defeats the whole Saiyan badass persona as brutal warrior race.

I keep reverting back to DBZ not because I want the show to be like DBZ even tho they are copy/pasting it very badly. I want to give an example of how good of a show, characters, story and plot they made and they could have continued with new ideas but greed is a nasty thing to work for. Passion was lost.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:27 am

CrazyPenguin wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:02 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:13 am
Judging by your picture you would say Zamasu.
Indeed, very perceptive.
He is not even close to how good of character introduction was Frieza, Cell, OG Broly or Vegeta/Majin Vegeta.
Lol, in what world is Goku Black's introduction scene not one of the most badass villain introductions in anime? The episode literally had the highest ratings out of any DBS episode.

Out of those villains, the only one who had a remotely comparable introduction is Cell, and all he did was eat some random dude. It became iconic just because it was very gory and gruesome. Black also killed someone in a very gruesome way (her body is literally shown melting) and it wasn't some random dude, but fan-favourite Future Bulma.
Vegeta being one of the best villain's to become anti hero and characters in entire franchise.
but they made him a good guy which defeats the whole Saiyan badass persona as brutal warrior race.
You like Vegeta for going through a redemption arc but then dislike Broly for going through the same thing, see? You don't even know what you want from the writers.

CrazyPenguin

Post by CrazyPenguin » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:15 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:27 am
You like Vegeta for going through a redemption arc but then dislike Broly for going through the same thing, see? You don't even know what you want from the writers.
Vegeta was a villian and went trough lot of years of pain, struggle, fight and character development, starting a family to become what he has become now. 10 years of character build up to have an epic Majin Vegeta vs Goku moment. That is good writing. That is good character development.

Broly was made good by default, 1 movie and they had Broly on their side, as well as majority of Saiyan race just like humans according to Super. Defeats the whole purpose of Saiyans being a brutal warrior race who did not care about families and lived to fight only striving for power, making them a completely different race type from humans. Super just made another Superman story. Fits the title of the show really.

Even Goku was brutal and would have murdered everyone on Earth if he did not had a concussion. That is why Zamasu arc could have worked great for the reason "what if Goku stayed evil and power hungry", but they did not put much thought process into making that arc.

And you still don't get it. That is why you think I don't know what I want from writers, when its obvious to not ruin what was good and move on with something new. To not ruin the foundation, instead build more on it. They are just reviving everything and making it worse.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:17 pm

CrazyPenguin wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:15 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:27 am
Vegeta was a villian and went trough lot of years of pain, struggle, fight and character development, starting a family to become what he has become now. 10 years of character build up to have an epic Majin Vegeta vs Goku moment. That is good writing. That is good character development.

Broly was made good by default, 1 movie and they had Broly on their side, as well as majority of Saiyan race just like humans according to Super. Defeats the whole purpose of Saiyans being a brutal warrior race who did not care about families and lived to fight only striving for power, making them a completely different race type from humans. Super just made another Superman story. Fits the title of the show really.

Even Goku was brutal and would have murdered everyone on Earth if he did not had a concussion. That is why Zamasu arc could have worked great for the reason "what if Goku stayed evil and power hungry", but they did not put much thought process into making that arc.

And you still don't get it. That is why you think I don't know what I want from writers, when its obvious to not ruin what was good and move on with something new. To not ruin the foundation, instead build more on it. They are just reviving everything and making it worse.
Except that Broly was never a villain in the first place? He was introduced as a good character, there's nothing wrong or bad about this kind of writing. He was introduced as an asocial and shy dude who was traumatized mentally by his abusive father. That's different from Vegeta, who was literally a genocidal warlord maniac when he first appears.

The Saiyans are still presented as evil barbarians in Super, that's why Beerus and the Gods approved of their genocide, which rid the Universe of a troublesome mortal species. Good-natured saiyans like Broly and Bardock are the exception.

And your idea of Goku Black is terrible. I'd hate if Goku Black was just another evil Saiyan. I would have never become a fan of him if he was just another evil Saiyan. So boring and unoriginal.

You don't know what you want from the writers lmao. You say that they never do anything original, then you think Black should have been literal Turles 2.0, an evil power-hungry saiyan who looks like Goku. Goku Black's origins as written by Toei and Toriyama, that of an envious Supreme Kai who jealously stole a Saiyan body for the sake of justice and started getting influenced by it, is 100% more original than what the fandom could have come up with, your idea is proof of that.

Let's be real and don't lie to yourself, if they wrote Goku Black like you proposed here, you'd just complain that he is Turles 2.0 and they can't come up with anything more original than "what if goku never hit his head and stayed evil". :roll:

CrazyPenguin

Post by CrazyPenguin » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:52 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:17 pm

Except that Broly was never a villain in the first place? He was introduced as a good character, there's nothing wrong or bad about this kind of writing. He was introduced as an asocial and shy dude who was traumatized mentally by his abusive father. That's different from Vegeta, who was literally a genocidal warlord maniac when he first appears.

Let's be real and don't lie to yourself, if they wrote Goku Black like you proposed here, you'd just complain that he is Turles 2.0 and they can't come up with anything more original than "what if goku never hit his head and stayed evil". :roll:
Broly was introduced as a bad character, a murdering lunatic who killed his own father. Super revived Broly but made him completely different in character. And completely changed Saiyan characteristics as well. And if you say Broly in DBZ was non canon then I could say the same for Turles.

Funny you would compare Turles to Goku being evil just because they look the same lol. Even tho these are 2 different characters. By that logic I could compare Goku black (Zamasu) being copy of Turles just because they look the same.

Its like you only watched Super and not DBZ.
Last edited by CrazyPenguin on Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:58 pm

CrazyPenguin wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:52 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:17 pm

Broly was introduced as a bad character, a murdering lunatic who killed his own father. Super revived Broly but made him completely different in character.
> Complains about DBS just copying things from DBZ instead of making something new

> Also complains about DBS reinventing and overhauling Broly as a character

As I said: You don't know what you want.
Funny you would compare Turles to Goku being evil just because they look the same lol. Even tho these are 2 different characters.
What about Evil Goku would make him different from Turles exactly? Do you acknowledge that Evil Goku would be, in your own words:
evil and power hungry
In what ways would that differ from Turles, the evil saiyan guy who literally ate from the "Tree of Might"?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:03 pm

Let's dump the 4chan-style retort formatting as well as the accompanying antagonism. Have a real conversation, or please keep your thoughts to yourself. Thank you!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

CrazyPenguin

Post by CrazyPenguin » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:09 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:58 pm
> Complains about DBS just copying things from DBZ instead of making something new

> Also complains about DBS reinventing and overhauling Broly as a character

As I said: You don't know what you want.

In what ways would that differ from Turles, the evil saiyan guy who literally ate from the "Tree of Might"?

Overhauling Saiyain nature and what made BDZ good, same for Frieza revival and Cell, exactly what I said copying DBZ and making it bad. While I also said bringing back Broly was a good idea because he did not have a true proper ARC as a main villian like Frieza and Cell that ended and should have been left there. But they decided to change him. Same as Cell. Frieza is just a repeating joke at this point.

Saying power hungry does not mean hungry for fruit that gives you power *facepalm*

Apparently you can't read properly or understand what is written. You are just reading and twisting it into what you want to. Even tho its not something I claim.

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:42 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:18 am
KentMan wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:02 am
Yuli Ban wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:14 am So it has been written
Now this was funny I remember laughing at this a lot and feeling sad for poor Trunks. But back to Super I must admit reading the manga was quite a joy for me. It felt closer to dragon ball than the anime no offense. I was always impressed with Toyotaro art especially chapter 41.
Why is a man in a dress funny?
Because it's done against his will, that's the funny :lol:

OP: I agree with the stuff about the characterizations, but may i ask what DBZ music are you talking about? Whenever i hear arguments against DBS' soundtrack i think it should be specified.

If you are referring to the Kikuchi score, i think the Super score does a good job, much better than GT's score, even though it doesn't get close to the original, which is far too iconic to surpass, it gives a different vibe, and has some amazing tunes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWe5x1j ... rtM.Harris
I think Sumitomo did a great job with the tone of the songs, even early on with Beerus' theme that was godly, overall DBS' music is one of the highlights of the show, even when i don't care about the episode when i catch it on TV, i can still enjoy the OST.

If you are talking about the Faulconer score, then of course it's going to be different, DBS' music is the original score for the show, not a random synthrock edgefest patched in years later, it's not fair to compare them even if you prefer the american DBZ music (which i understand even though i vehemently disagree) and it would be ridiculous to expect something like that from the DBS music lol.