Dragon Ball Super - Viz Translation Checker/Quibbles

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super - Viz Translation Checker/Quibbles

Post by Cipher » Tue May 17, 2022 1:19 am

Cold Skin wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:37 pm HIT HIDING HIS HANDS

Original: ただし今回は遠慮なく手元を隠させてもらうぞ
Cipher: However, this time I'm not giving any hints.
Viz: Then I can keep my hands hidden without worry.
French: I’ll be more than happy to hide my hands this time.
Worth noting here (and maybe editing a note into the original post), that the Japanese does literally use the word "hand/hand movement." I just wanted to get to the point of why he's doing it there a bit more, since that's what winds up unclear in the Viz translation.

If I were being hyper-literal, it would be, "However, this time I'll be keeping my hands hidden."
GOHAN ABOUT HIS PATH OF EVOLUTION

Original: オレはサイヤ人としてではなく、1人の人間として進化する道を選んだ
Cipher: I choose to evolve as my own person.
Viz: I choose to keep evolving as a human, not a Saiyan.
French: I chose to progress as an individual, not as a Saiyan.

GOKU REACHING A STABLE ULTRA INSTINCT SIGN

Original: オラだって成長するぞ。もう周りに惑わせんのはお終いだ
Cipher: I'm gonna keep growing. I won't be distracted anymore.
Viz: I need to keep growing. My days of letting everyone down are over.
French: I’m evolving too. I won’t let the context distract me anymore.

GOKU’S ULTRA INSTINCT BEING TIME-LIMITED

Original: こうなると体が勝手に動いてしまうことがかえって負担になってしまいます
Cipher: At this rate, the body reacting on its own may conversely have become a burden."
Viz: But when Goku's body reacts, it takes quite a toll on him.
French: And since the latter adapts his movements to match, the weight of the effort becomes heavier and heavier on his organism.
These three were validating.

I'm still planning a round of additions and updates, by the way. Just having a busy week and need a chunk of time to actually get all the formatting and screenshots together.

Re: Frost and Freeza: There's nothing wrong with either the English or French, exactly, but it plays so clearly into a double-meaning in Japanese with him being different from Freeza in general that I can't think it wasn't intentional. Plus, that's the whole thrust of Goku agreeing in his response--it's not like he actually wants Frost to win. That's truly a quibble in the purest sense of the word, but I thought it was a fun little character beat. (It's also in the anime, on that note. I'm pretty sure Toei's subtitles handled it like Viz and the French version, and I'm not sure what Steve Simmons did.)

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Tue May 17, 2022 8:16 am

Cipher wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:24 pm Re: Above: Please don’t put basically an entire scene in your post!

I’ll review the various Destruction mentions and see if they warrant an inclusion just for clarity. The first one probably does, as not “naming” it there could wind up confusing later references.

The sandify-ing technique is also Destruction, as Beerus does indeed say/name it when he kills Zamasu. The Japanese is just as ambiguous about how the difference between the sandify-ing and explosion-producing variants is accomplished, but both variants are referred to as Hakai/Destruction.
Hmm, how'd it go with the Hakai mentions?

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sat May 28, 2022 8:06 pm

I'm can't remember if this was changed in the volume releases, but I was rereading the manga and came across again this somewhat baffling piece of dialogue by Vermoud/Belmod in chapter 30 wherein he phrases a sentence/question as if it was supposed to be addressed at himself (which he then answers himself):

Was it a legitimate error in translation?

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:53 am

^ Why don't we take a look at what the French translator came up with to see how it matches?

If we watch both versions below, it seems to me that it's indeed a mistake: an alternate version of Marcarita's line has been placed in Vermoudh's speech bubble, so we have two variations: "So you'll use the Dragon Balls as bait to make him participate?" and "The Dragon Balls are sure to make him participate.", with one of them probably being a previous draft and the other being the final version the translator ultimately settled on.

Instead of the out-of-place question, Vermoudh is supposed to expand on what the "thing" is, stating it's a wish that Jiren would never be able to fulfill otherwise, not even if he temporarily broke his own righteous rules.
To which the Kaio Shin replies about "that wish" - which Vermoudh is supposed to have mentionned just before.

ENGLISH VERSION

VERMOUDH: "Jiren's a man who's devoted everything to justice. He doesn't act in self-interest.
He won't even kill the bad guys.
But there is one thing...
So you'll use the Dragon Balls as bait to make him participate?"

KAIO SHIN: "I see.
So if we tell him that he could use the winning prize of the Dragon Balls to make that wish come true..."

VERMOUDH: "Bingo."

MARCARITA: "The Dragon Balls are sure to make him participate."

VERMOUDH: "Don't say that like I'm some kind of lowlife, Marcarita.
He wants that himself too. I'm just giving him the chance."

TRANSLATION OF THE FRENCH VERSION

VERMOUDH: "Jiren's cares deeply about justice, he never acts out of self-interest.
And he never kills anyone, not ever murderers. All of that to remain faithful to his stupid principles.
But he has a wish...
that he'll never be able to fulfill, even if he bent his convictions."

KAIO SHIN: "I see...
And thanks to the Dragon Balls as a reward, he would have the opportunity to make it a reality..."

VERMOUDH: "You got it."

MARCARITA: "So we're going to coax him with the Dragon Balls."

VERMOUDH: "You're not casting the right light on this, Marcarita.
It's his wish, and I give him a chance to see it fulfilled."

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:49 pm

Thank you very much for the very in-depth answer and confirmation that it was a TL error.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:39 pm

I took the liberty of retranslating the lines in question

DragonBallFanatic

Post by DragonBallFanatic » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:19 am

Cipher wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:19 am
Cold Skin wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:37 pm HIT HIDING HIS HANDS

Original: ただし今回は遠慮なく手元を隠させてもらうぞ
Cipher: However, this time I'm not giving any hints.
Viz: Then I can keep my hands hidden without worry.
French: I’ll be more than happy to hide my hands this time.
Worth noting here (and maybe editing a note into the original post), that the Japanese does literally use the word "hand/hand movement." I just wanted to get to the point of why he's doing it there a bit more, since that's what winds up unclear in the Viz translation.

If I were being hyper-literal, it would be, "However, this time I'll be keeping my hands hidden."
GOHAN ABOUT HIS PATH OF EVOLUTION

Original: オレはサイヤ人としてではなく、1人の人間として進化する道を選んだ
Cipher: I choose to evolve as my own person.
Viz: I choose to keep evolving as a human, not a Saiyan.
French: I chose to progress as an individual, not as a Saiyan.

GOKU REACHING A STABLE ULTRA INSTINCT SIGN

Original: オラだって成長するぞ。もう周りに惑わせんのはお終いだ
Cipher: I'm gonna keep growing. I won't be distracted anymore.
Viz: I need to keep growing. My days of letting everyone down are over.
French: I’m evolving too. I won’t let the context distract me anymore.

GOKU’S ULTRA INSTINCT BEING TIME-LIMITED

Original: こうなると体が勝手に動いてしまうことがかえって負担になってしまいます
Cipher: At this rate, the body reacting on its own may conversely have become a burden."
Viz: But when Goku's body reacts, it takes quite a toll on him.
French: And since the latter adapts his movements to match, the weight of the effort becomes heavier and heavier on his organism.
These three were validating.

I'm still planning a round of additions and updates, by the way. Just having a busy week and need a chunk of time to actually get all the formatting and screenshots together.

Re: Frost and Freeza: There's nothing wrong with either the English or French, exactly, but it plays so clearly into a double-meaning in Japanese with him being different from Freeza in general that I can't think it wasn't intentional. Plus, that's the whole thrust of Goku agreeing in his response--it's not like he actually wants Frost to win. That's truly a quibble in the purest sense of the word, but I thought it was a fun little character beat. (It's also in the anime, on that note. I'm pretty sure Toei's subtitles handled it like Viz and the French version, and I'm not sure what Steve Simmons did.)
What is this really supposed to imply? Is this dragon saying there’s at least two divine beings (gods) that are exempt from this wish? Or is it saying divine life in general is exempt, which would mean if Granolah happens to surpass Goku, and Goku > King Kai, Granolah is now stronger than King Kai, but the wish directly isn’t used to surpass divine life, it’s just he surpassed them indirectly via directly surpassing the strongest mortal life form.
What’s the best way to think on it by use of context and the kanji/wording itself?

Thanks.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:45 pm

[img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... wn.png/img]

Chapter 71 notes that as long as Goku's "heart" is calm, his body should move on its own (i.e. use UI) no matter what form he's in. Though in #85, when Goku decides to use Sign(?) (still unclear as its never specified by name despite looking exactly like it), he tells Gas that Perfected UI needs his heart needs to be calm to work and it isn't (whereas Sign(?) allows him to use his emotions in it), besides that he was just in/voluntarily deactivates PUI just before & in the prev chapter, which he transformed into & fought Gas in (so his heart was kinda calm then).
I did remember the JP raws chapter summary note it was Goku's mind instead of his heart that needed to be calm for UI & wasn't atm, so I was wondering if there was something interesting there, like if "heart", "mind", "soul" were interchangeable words.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:58 am

DragonBallFanatic wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:19 am What is this really supposed to imply? Is this dragon saying there’s at least two divine beings (gods) that are exempt from this wish? Or is it saying divine life in general is exempt, which would mean if Granolah happens to surpass Goku, and Goku > King Kai, Granolah is now stronger than King Kai, but the wish directly isn’t used to surpass divine life, it’s just he surpassed them indirectly via directly surpassing the strongest mortal life form.
What’s the best way to think on it by use of context and the kanji/wording itself?

Thanks.
It means that the dragon will look at who is the strongest in the universe and bring Granola above that person, but it will not take Gods into account and eliminate them from the list. So for example, if we imagine the original list to be - and that's just an example, it's not meant to be accurate -:
N°1 - Whis (God)
N°2 - Beerus (God)
N°3 - Broly (human)
N°4 - Goku (human)

...then it will not make Granola more powerful than Whis or Beerus, it will discard them from the list of strongest beings as it is probably way beyond his reach and consider that the list is:
N°1 - Broly (human)
N°2 - Goku (human)

...therefore making Granola stronger than Broly, not stronger than Beerus or Whis.

In French, it's:
"The best warrior in the universe... The one who possesses the greatest power among all beings ever, excluding the gods."
Shorty GZ2 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:45 pm Image
[img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... wn.png/img]

Chapter 71 notes that as long as Goku's "heart" is calm, his body should move on its own (i.e. use UI) no matter what form he's in.
While you're waiting for a clear answer regarding the Japanese, all I can do is provide the French variation of Whis' line (the rest is not available in French yet).

"You are wrong. Since the beginning, you have been considering the transcendental reflex as a transformation... But if you keep your mind completely clear of anything, your body will be able to react regardless of your current state."