Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 84 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 84 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Skar » Mon May 16, 2022 1:32 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:05 pmI didn't meant to say it's a Brazilian thing, I mentioned it because it was my experience with people from other nationalities following the series and having completely different opinions. But the fanbase I mentioned was also part of groups and pages dedicated to discuss specifically Dragon Ball, so although there's probably a lot of casual fans, there's also people willing to talk about the series more critically, which is why I said it was funny to see these discussions having completely different directions
I don't think most fans would mind since it's a fairly common shonen trope that the protagonist's father helped their journey and development in some way. It happened in Naruto, HxH, OP, and probably a few others. I don't think the idea itself is bad since I didn't mind them in these other series. It's just that DB already established that Goku was an outlier among shonen protagonists because nothing was special was about his family and they had the same expectations for him as any other Saiyan baby.

Goku is still unique though since hitting his head was the only reason he didn't conquer Earth and leave with Raditz. Bardock's wish protected them but didn't change who they were or they how they choose to live their lives since Raditz kept conquering planets with the other remaining Saiyans. That's a reason I don't mind the change as much than if the wish had influenced their nature or something like that.

redon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by redon » Mon May 16, 2022 1:45 pm

Here is my Dragon Ball Super chapter 84 full summary that I can share with you :wink:

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Mon May 16, 2022 1:57 pm

Thanks, I'll read it.

Woop, it is indeed UI Goku and UE Vegeta (in their normal clothes) vs Gas. I guess that's pretty much it for this chapter lmao, just some touching on the earlier drama/themes at the start, and then back to fight fight action action (which continues on to next chapter while Granolah is still KO'd).
- Elec is a bit worried seeing those new transformations (UI and UE), but Oil confirms him that they used those transformations against Granolah too.
- Elec says everything is fine then, since he made the wish after Goku and Vegeta lost to Granolah.
- Elec also says Gas' universe is different from Granolah's. Maki is confused to what he's taking about, Elec replies "Just watch".
Wonder what this means then
Last edited by Shorty GZ2 on Mon May 16, 2022 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chitarra10

Post by chitarra10 » Mon May 16, 2022 2:22 pm

redon wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:45 pm Here is my Dragon Ball Super chapter 84 full summary that I can share with you :wink:
Oh, CRAP!! I knew it... I knew Elec stabbed Gas in the back... next chapter, I think we're gonna find out just how badly, and I still kinda think Gas is gonna turn on him for whatever the freak this is that he did, and that Elec is gonna be the only one who dies in this story. This makes me think that...

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon May 16, 2022 2:25 pm

Pretty funny that the Saiyan armor thing was a draft cliffhanger that changed pretty much the next page.

I'll wait until the chapter is out to react to the rest, but I'm excited to see how this will look.

People already going crazy with this line, which - based on context - seems to mean Gas is on another level (and has nothing to do with the 12 Universes)?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon May 16, 2022 2:33 pm

batistabus wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:25 pm People already going crazy with this line, which - based on context - seems to mean Gas is on another level (and has nothing to do with the 12 Universes)?
We Saint Seiya now. The power there is referred to as Cosmo.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Mon May 16, 2022 2:35 pm

batistabus wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:25 pm Pretty funny that the Saiyan armor thing was a draft cliffhanger that changed pretty much the next page.

I'll wait until the chapter is out to react to the rest, but I'm excited to see how this will look.

People already going crazy with this line, which - based on context - seems to mean Gas is on another level (and has nothing to do with the 12 Universes)?
This quote:
- Elec says everything is fine then, since he made the wish after Goku and Vegeta lost to Granolah.
is the more interesting takeaway

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon May 16, 2022 2:38 pm

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:35 pm This quote:
I think the implication is that Granolah was able to handle those forms and so Gas (who was later wished to be the strongest) should have an even easier time handling them?

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Mon May 16, 2022 2:48 pm

redon wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:45 pm Here is my Dragon Ball Super chapter 84 full summary that I can share with you :wink:
New normal clothes?

Does this mean Goku won't fight in Saiyan armor after all? 😔

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon May 16, 2022 2:57 pm

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:35 pm
batistabus wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:25 pm Pretty funny that the Saiyan armor thing was a draft cliffhanger that changed pretty much the next page.

This quote:
It's the same reason that was stated in chapter 78 where Maki tells Granolah that Gas is naturally stronger since the wish came after his. Elec just repeats that same sentiment this chapter. On top of that, we can't forget that Gas himself now has control over his monstrous form which made him much stronger.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon May 16, 2022 3:27 pm

So, because of whatever clause Elec used to phrase his wish, Gas is not only the mightiest warrior of Universe #7, but he is on a whole different level from them. I will wait for further confirmation when chapter is out.

Curiously, the Oracle Fish didn’t knew who he was, so we have yet to see how this plot point will develop.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Mon May 16, 2022 3:58 pm

Thanks as always.
Gas shield disintegrates.
I misread "Gas disintegrates" and got exited for a second lol

So nothing happened. Hopefully the gags are funny

Super Saiyan God
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Super Saiyan God » Mon May 16, 2022 4:00 pm

So I guess gogeta blue would be appear in next 1-2 chapters maybe he would need to transform into blue evolution forms to take him down.
But i believe that if gas above level of MUI then only gogeta blue or even blue evolution can beat him (if blue gogeta gave too much damage but cant destroy him he might still need BE form)

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon May 16, 2022 4:05 pm

Right, so Elec may be referring to Gas's power level, but for me it wouldn't make sense to create this mystery if the implications were about power (after all, we already know he's stronger than Granolah). This is in line with the fact that we never quite saw how Elec worded the wish made for Torombo, and they kept teasing about it in previous chapters.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Mon May 16, 2022 4:49 pm

I'll stick to 3 things

1) How did Monaito heal the badly injured Vegeta, who got the crap beaten out of him, and can't bring the shot Granola back to full health.

2) Why the hell is Goku farting to Gas again, saying things like "maybe you'll fly off this planet" when you know he won't do it anyway because you already told him 3 chapters ago.

3) Didn't Vegeta learn anything after the fight with Granolah?
Vegeta is just hardheaded, and doesn't understand that taking damage is a bad way to ignite your fighting spirit and put your Ultra Ego to good use. And with the rest, he'll get his ass kicked again by his ignorance, and that's where that ego will end.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon May 16, 2022 5:08 pm

Vegeta lost to Granolah because he didn't want to kill him and was pretending to be like Beerus. He actually wanted to save Granolah
Vegeta hates Gas and has no problem with killing him, so he should be more efficient with Ego.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Mon May 16, 2022 5:21 pm

Super Saiyan God wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:00 pm So I guess gogeta blue would be appear in next 1-2 chapters maybe he would need to transform into blue evolution forms to take him down.
But i believe that if gas above level of MUI then only gogeta blue or even blue evolution can beat him (if blue gogeta gave too much damage but cant destroy him he might still need BE form)
It is a little odd no one has proposed fusion at all up to this time (in the Moro arc, it was a given since Moro inherited Vegeta's Forced Spirit Fission). I guess they got caught up in proving the worth of their respective Ultra forms.
Alkiser wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:49 pm I'll stick to 3 things

1) How did Monaito heal the badly injured Vegeta, who got the crap beaten out of him, and can't bring the shot Granola back to full health.

2) Why the hell is Goku farting to Gas again, saying things like "maybe you'll fly off this planet" when you know he won't do it anyway because you already told him 3 chapters ago.

3) Didn't Vegeta learn anything after the fight with Granolah?
Vegeta is just hardheaded, and doesn't understand that taking damage is a bad way to ignite your fighting spirit and put your Ultra Ego to good use. And with the rest, he'll get his ass kicked again by his ignorance, and that's where that ego will end.
Presumably it was easier to heal them as they recovered in the battle's downtime compared to Granolah who was on death's door + blinded. Goku basically said that out of obligation to give Gas a way out, but he does admit he wants to personally defeat him. Taking damage is just a consequence of fighting someone like Gas and how Vegeta generally fights, he doesn't seem to be deliberately going "unga bunga hit me some more to rev me up" like he did in UE before. And also as mentioned below, UI/UE haven't seem to gotten a power up yet despite the shift in their mentality to having more pride/determination to win no matter what, so I'm half expecting them to sprout auras next chapters (but ultimately still struggle or lose to a degree to flex how strong Gas is/give Granolah time to get back into the fight).
Last edited by Shorty GZ2 on Mon May 16, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon May 16, 2022 5:23 pm

Vegeta was taking damage on purpose against Granolah, which doesn't seem to be the case against Gas.

Anyway, getting stronger by taking damage is one of the ways to fill his battle spirit. So it's only natural for him to get stronger in this chapter, even if that damage isn't being taken deliberately (this isn't him necessarily using the technique wrong, it's a side effect). On top of that, Goku and Vegeta changed their mindsets but there hasn't been any power boost or UI/UE efficiency improvement yet, so it should take some time for the perfected state of these transformations to appear in any case

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Mon May 16, 2022 10:46 pm

Maybe Gas became an angel ? Do we know every question asked to Zuno ?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue May 17, 2022 1:34 am

That fight sounds fun AF. Giddily looking forward to it.
Hugo Boss wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:27 pm So, because of whatever clause Elec used to phrase his wish, Gas is not only the mightiest warrior of Universe #7, but he is on a whole different level from them. I will wait for further confirmation when chapter is out.

Curiously, the Oracle Fish didn’t knew who he was, so we have yet to see how this plot point will develop.
I don't know if the series is willing to go for it yet (though it's been surprisingly free-wheeling lately, so who knows), but either Goku, Vegeta or both surpassing Beerus by the end of the arc would be the perfect payoff to his prediction, and not having tied it to Gas. Would certainly be the shake-up of universal balance he promised, with Granolah and Gas having both been vectors and red herrings.

Or the Oracle Fish just isn't actually an oracle, which is my favorite reading that the series definitely doesn't support at all. (The fact that he's still wrong sometimes is funny though.)