Giving Goku and Vegeta the boot for a long while

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Giving Goku and Vegeta the boot for a long while

Post by Geraldo » Fri May 20, 2022 1:46 pm

So, what is stopping the Dragon Ball Room from putting the two annoying Saiyans aside for an arc or two with the excuse they're "currently training under Whis and Beerus" while the other characters get the front lines?
Edit: I don't want non-canonical side stories like what Dragon Garow Lee did with Yamcha. Despite his good work.
Last edited by Geraldo on Fri May 20, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Giving Goku and Vegeta the boot for a long while

Post by VegettoEX » Fri May 20, 2022 2:03 pm

Geraldo wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:46 pm So, what is stopping the Dragon Ball Room from putting the two annoying Saiyans aside for an arc or two with the excuse they're"currently training under Whis and Beerus" while the other characters get the front lines?
Nothing is "stopping" them*, but the reality of completely shoving aside the two most prominent and arguably popular characters in the series seems a little counter-productive for a franchise already well into its twilight years of corpse parading.

(And I would argue that did happen to a fairly substantial degree during the Moro arc already.)

(*One could argue that ultimate deference would still be given to Toriyama himself, who I feel would be unlikely to do such a thing.)

It's a great idea for them to explore in continued spin-offs and side projects (see: The Case of Being Reincarnated as Yamcha), but that doesn't seem to be the direction they want to go in these days, which isn't entirely surprising for all the aforementioned reasons. It's a lot of risk to take on for no real guarantee for something they already seem fairly comfortable coasting on.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri May 20, 2022 2:13 pm

But isn't this what is already happening in Super Hero?

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Fri May 20, 2022 2:18 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:13 pm But isn't this what is already happening in Super Hero?
The second "Goku and Vegeta show" with multiple counterparts? No.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Fri May 20, 2022 3:13 pm

Geraldo wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:18 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:13 pm But isn't this what is already happening in Super Hero?
No no, he meant Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero. The upcoming movie, you know?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri May 20, 2022 3:33 pm

This is literally what's happening in the movie.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri May 20, 2022 5:14 pm

This hyper-fixation on which characters "deserve" more time in the spotlight is such a bizarre, surface level complaint to me. What I find more interesting and meaningful is whether the characters being used benefit the story/arc being told.

If DBS primarily followed Goku and Vegeta's antics, that's fine - I still think they're the franchise's most compelling figures, and their dynamic is always fun - though you'd need to have them complement Super's various guest characters to keep things feeling consistently fresh. Dedicating a whole movie to Gohan and Piccolo is also perfectly fine. Like with all things Dragon Ball, it's the execution that matters most.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Fri May 20, 2022 5:57 pm

Agree but i think it could only work in side series.A Broly, Cheelai, Lemo, & Jaco adventures in space or across the multiverse side series would be really cool to have heck make it canon if you want.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Fri May 20, 2022 7:44 pm

Thani wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:13 pm
Geraldo wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:18 pm
No no, he meant Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero. The upcoming movie, you know?
A name too similar, one who's browsing the internet on his mobile can barely see the difference. Even if it is the case on a stand alone movie, I need a break from the boring Saiyans in general and ftom this dou in particular.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sat May 21, 2022 8:02 am

Remember Toriyama did try this approach in the Boo Saga by making Gohan the main character, but ultimately didn’t go through with it. He’s probably not interested in doing that again, but things could change depending on how well Super Hero does.
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:57 pm Agree but i think it could only work in side series.A Broly, Cheelai, Lemo, & Jaco adventures in space or across the multiverse side series would be really cool to have heck make it canon if you want.
This. Dragon Ball is insanely popular, I have no idea why they haven’t milked the secondary characters with spin offs yet. We only got Heroes so far, which is just DBS 2.0.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun May 22, 2022 11:35 am

Starting with the Saiyan arc, this was what happened for the majority of the time. Goku was always dead or training, playing only a significant role in the final stretch of the arcs.
Arguably Dragon Ball was ensemble show for a lot of it's duration.

Super reverted this trend, adding Vegeta to the front.

Based on what might happen in the new movie, it isn't impossible and would probably greatly benefit the franchise.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sun May 22, 2022 4:37 pm

Wonder if the prospective next manga arc after Granolah comes to an end (wack, I know) will go in or be influenced into going in a similar less Goku/Vegeta-focused (with them just goofing off at Beerus's place, maybe with Broly)/more side guys-centred direction as Super Hero is. And willing to bet that in line with that, we'll still be in Universe 7 😂

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon May 23, 2022 6:59 pm

I don't mind there being a focus on Goku and Vegeta. It's them pushing all the other characters out that's a problem. It never happened with Dragon Ball Z.

Fine with Resurrection F because the other characters had a good bit of time. It was when the Universe 6 arc started it where it started to really begin. Took a team of 5 of which 2 of them did nothing and Piccolo had one fight.

Then it was all them plus Trunks after that for a good while too. Then the Broly movie. Then the first half of the Moro arc. Then this entire Granolah arc.

The series is at its best when it focuses on a whole bunch of them. The second half of the Moro arc has been the manga at its best.

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Mon May 30, 2022 3:34 pm

They'd never completely remove them, but I agree. I wish they'd stop pushing the entire cast out in favor of Goku and Vegeta always. But it's nice Super Hero is focusing on the others, but it's ridiculous how long it took to do it.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon May 30, 2022 10:11 pm

I don't think there are many Dragon Ball characters that could carry the story besides Goku. And if they could, it would be a very different type of story, and a lot of fans wouldn't like it.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:26 pm

LightBing wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:35 am Starting with the Saiyan arc, this was what happened for the majority of the time. Goku was always dead or training, playing only a significant role in the final stretch of the arcs.
Arguably Dragon Ball was ensemble show for a lot of it's duration.

Super reverted this trend, adding Vegeta to the front.

Based on what might happen in the new movie, it isn't impossible and would probably greatly benefit the franchise.
Partially. The anime had a lot of filler which amplified Goku's dissapearances in Z. Example: the entire Garlic Junior arc was another whole arc without Goku at all. While in the manga it goes straight from Goku defeating Freeza to Freeza landing on Earth and Goku landing not too long after him.

Likewise a lot of the Saiyan arc was stretched out with a dead Goku to focus a lot more on Gohan and Piccolos training and some Gohan hijinks in the anime. In the manga, you don't really miss Goku as much because his training in the afterlife is focused on a lot more proportionally to everything else, he's just doing his own thing the same way he was when he was with Korin to face Piccolo while the rest of the cast was dealing with other things. There's a few chapters during the Battle with Nappa that are more Goku missing in action but that's about tension.

Really the biggest stretch without Goku was the early Namek arc, and even that is far less dramatically than the anime with all the extra stuff. Example Bulma and the crew blast off from Earth at the end of one chapter, then at the end of the very next chapter she announces that they are at Namek. In the anime it's stretched out 6 episods of filler.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:08 am

I need an all-out battle revolving story, just like the Androids conflict or the Majin Buu crisis, or the moro arc JUST WITHOUT Goku and Vegeta around. I want to see the others (with an emphasis on the Human Z-Fighters) thrive on their own and in an original story. I don't need a carbon copy of the listed above sagas.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:50 pm

Geraldo wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:08 am I need an all-out battle revolving story, just like the Androids conflict or the Majin Buu crisis, or the moro arc JUST WITHOUT Goku and Vegeta around. I want to see the others (with an emphasis on the Human Z-Fighters) thrive on their own and in an original story. I don't need a carbon copy of the listed above sagas.
Emphasis on the human fighters you say? I’m sorry man, that ship has sailed a long time ago. I doubt Toriyama even vaguely remembers who Tenshinhan is, let alone making him relevant again.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:06 pm

omaro34 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:50 pm
Geraldo wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:08 am I need an all-out battle revolving story, just like the Androids conflict or the Majin Buu crisis, or the moro arc JUST WITHOUT Goku and Vegeta around. I want to see the others (with an emphasis on the Human Z-Fighters) thrive on their own and in an original story. I don't need a carbon copy of the listed above sagas.
Emphasis on the human fighters you say? I’m sorry man, that ship has sailed a long time ago. I doubt Toriyama even vaguely remembers who Tenshinhan is, let alone making him relevant again.
Even if he'll get a coconut hitting his head and will temporarily forget who Goku is, Shueisha has analysts who follow fans' demands in order to shape the future stories to appeal to the fans.

Just this week I had seen thousands of people retweet Tien's pictures and videos from his battle against Semi-Perfect Cell. Yamcha's popularity online had brought him to Super Dragon Ball Heroes.

These inputs/gathered market analysis are probably why "DBS: Super Hero" was written by Toriyama in the first place.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:34 am

I’d take Goku and Vegeta bickering over someone having to inspire Gohan to fight seriously for the billionth time.

If they’re just gonna continue to retread old steps with other characters, I’d rather them just keep the main two at the forefront.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels