Super's growth in power was lackluster

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super's growth in power was lackluster

Post by BWri » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:14 pm

nineko wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:36 am
BWri wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:01 pmOther than that, i'm waiting for SSJ Rainbow
You are not alone.
You know ... if they are going to do it, I'd want it to look like that.
Geraldo wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:04 pm
ekrolo2 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:44 pm The power growth up to the ToP was fine.
That can be the case only if you ignore all the bad jumps ALL throughout of "Super". My OP is there, also the huge leap that was given to Piccolo (he has the wish "plot armor") and yet-again-rusty Gohan in the latest movie; going from somewhere in the realms of the moro arc (if not somehow rustier) to stronger than normal ki Super Saiyan Goku, Vegeta and Broly (who are all should be well above Granolah and Gas we just read in the manga).
If you combined that with the idea that Goku and Vegeta were at Jiren's level of strength during the ToP, then it really hammers home that the power jumps aren't really that big. The series does present these increases as humongous jumps in power for dramatic flare and merchandising but there are a few odd moments where it seems like the needle hasn't moved much at all, such as several of the chapters post-RoF.

If Toriyama-san and Toyotaro declared that all the characters are less than 10x stronger than they were in the Buu arc I wouldn't even be mad.
ekrolo2 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:44 pm The power growth up to the ToP was fine. Goku shot past the Hakaishin but not in a permanent way that left him room to grow. The following material, particularly the Manga, keeping him stuck nebulously under Beerus despite him completing and advancing UI is completely ridiculous.
It was always left vague so that Beerus could retain his top spot ... or not if they chose. They just wanted to have that option to possibly explore later. That's why I always knew that he wouldn't be surpassed by Vegetto during FT, Jiren during ToP, Broly, or Moro. They always make sure to leave some doubt whenever they create comparisons to Beerus. He's unique in that regard. When Goku or any of the others surpasses a master it's usually followed with a definitive statement ... usually from said master.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:00 am

BWri wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:14 pm If you combined that with the idea that Goku and Vegeta were at Jiren's level of strength during the ToP, then it really hammers home that the power jumps aren't really that big. The series does present these increases as humongous jumps in power for dramatic flare and merchandising but there are a few odd moments where it seems like the needle hasn't moved much at all, such as several of the chapters post-RoF.
This was also a point I have wanted to refer but forgot, Toriyama or whoever wrote that line simply doesn't know their stuff. Jiren was crazy amount of multiple times stronger than both base form Goku and Vegeta (they went Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken and Super Saiyan Blue Evolution against him and he still was unfazed, considering how "Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero" follows the anime continuity) and Goku needed to go Ultra Instinct to bring Full Power Jiren to his knees (a multiply of over 100,000 times base, if SSB is 50xSSG).

Beerus was amazed if he was surpassed by the likes of Goku and Jiren, but that's keep on changing all throughout of "Super". With stronger opponents than Jiren just keeps on popping out of nowhere in Universe 7 alone. Remember how before the ToP, Shin couldn't even find contestants stronger than the Frieza Force and said there were only 28 more inhabited planets throughout of all the universe?
BWri wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:14 pm If Toriyama-san and Toyotaro declared that all the characters are less than 10x stronger than they were in the Buu arc I wouldn't even be mad.
And regarding the Buu Saga remark, I doubt that will ever be the case, BOTH Toriyama and Toyotaro know that "Super" had brought Goku and Vegeta's power levels off-chart compared to DBZ.

They went from weaker than 120,000,000 in base, to around Buuhan tier when facing Frieza in Resurrection 'F' at their base forms, and from there on, went to the Hyperbolic Time Chamber for 3 whole years (!) just to be able to fight Team Universe 6; unless you want to tell me that by training for 3 years there they had only became twice as strong as they were against Frieza in RoF, the "10 times stronger than their Buu Arc selves" line won't be possible.

Let alone the fact that ever since the Champa Saga, both Goku and Vegeta and the rest of the supporting cast had trained their hardest to reach where they were in any given saga/threat (even if we ignore that the Copy-Vegeta Arc had established, or at least tried to, that base Goku and Vegeta are both stronger than even SSJ3 Gotenks):
1. In the Future Trunks Arc at least after seeing Black and Zamasu; even Gohan regained his Ultimate Prime in the anime only to learn it was already over.
2. In the Tournament of Power the supporting cast (mostly) was shown to have improved drastically comparing to when we last saw them fight.
3. In the moro arc within two months they have all reached new heights, especially Goku who had trained with Merus and Vegeta who trained on Yardrat and became "leaps and bounds" stronger than they were before.
4. And now in the endless battle against Granolah and Gas, both Goku and Vegeta had rose even higher than Broly was.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:43 am

Geraldo wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:00 am They went from weaker than 120,000,000 in base, to around Buuhan tier when facing Frieza in Resurrection 'F' at their base forms, and from there on, went to the Hyperbolic Time Chamber for 3 whole years (!) just to be able to fight Team Universe 6; unless you want to tell me that by training for 3 years there they had only became twice as strong as they were against Frieza in RoF, the "10 times stronger than their Buu Arc selves" line won't be possible.
Oh yeah, that's what I'm referring to. They barely got any stronger in the RoSaT. In the anime, Vegeta made it seem like they reached a ceiling that couldn't be bridged through training. I'm not 100% sure about the manga, but contextually they didn't seem much stronger and actually came across as being weaker due to various power scaling retcons. I'm not saying they are weaker, but when Base Goku is = Final Frieza who is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Piccolo in one arc but needs SSJ to defeat Frost who is now only a little stronger than Piccolo in the next arc then you can see how the Saiyans seem to have gotten weaker or that Frost is much stronger than Frieza in comparable forms and Piccolo got way stronger to match him. Either way it goes, I just think it's interesting to consider that characters might not have changed as drastically as we think. I'm not saying it's what happened, but if it did, Super would make more sense as a prequel to EoZ to me.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:08 pm

BWri wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:43 am
Geraldo wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:00 am They went from weaker than 120,000,000 in base, to around Buuhan tier when facing Frieza in Resurrection 'F' at their base forms, and from there on, went to the Hyperbolic Time Chamber for 3 whole years (!) just to be able to fight Team Universe 6; unless you want to tell me that by training for 3 years there they had only became twice as strong as they were against Frieza in RoF, the "10 times stronger than their Buu Arc selves" line won't be possible.
Oh yeah, that's what I'm referring to. They barely got any stronger in the RoSaT. In the anime, Vegeta made it seem like they reached a ceiling that couldn't be bridged through training. I'm not 100% sure about the manga, but contextually they didn't seem much stronger and actually came across as being weaker due to various power scaling retcons. I'm not saying they are weaker, but when Base Goku is = Final Frieza who is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Piccolo in one arc but needs SSJ to defeat Frost who is now only a little stronger than Piccolo in the next arc then you can see how the Saiyans seem to have gotten weaker or that Frost is much stronger than Frieza in comparable forms and Piccolo got way stronger to match him. Either way it goes, I just think it's interesting to consider that characters might not have changed as drastically as we think. I'm not saying it's what happened, but if it did, Super would make more sense as a prequel to EoZ to me.
Trunks stated in the FT manga arc that "[Goku and Vegeta's] bodies had probably reached their limits". It was in the context of getting zenkais, but it brings to mind the same line from Vegeta in the anime.

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:43 am

To be fair, Vegeta does actually state that they got stronger during the Rosat training for the U6 Tournament in the anime. Based on Vegeta's reaction, it was a satisfactory boost.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:08 pm

it was likely not a "physical" boost as much as they improved their control over Blue.

Enough for Goku to stack Kaiohken on it.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:01 pm

BWri wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:43 am Oh yeah, that's what I'm referring to. They barely got any stronger in the RoSaT. In the anime, Vegeta made it seem like they reached a ceiling that couldn't be bridged through training. I'm not 100% sure about the manga, but contextually they didn't seem much stronger and actually came across as being weaker due to various power scaling retcons. I'm not saying they are weaker, but when Base Goku is = Final Frieza who is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Piccolo in one arc but needs SSJ to defeat Frost who is now only a little stronger than Piccolo in the next arc then you can see how the Saiyans seem to have gotten weaker or that Frost is much stronger than Frieza in comparable forms and Piccolo got way stronger to match him. Either way it goes, I just think it's interesting to consider that characters might not have changed as drastically as we think. I'm not saying it's what happened, but if it did, Super would make more sense as a prequel to EoZ to me.
Frost's true form was equal to Goku and Vegeta's Super Saiyan forms. Even in the Tournament of Power, Vegeta fought him transformed.

Piccolo faced a worn out final form Frost and Goju still had no faith in him having a chance to win, which upset Piccolo. The only way Piccolo could perform as he did was with tactics, he gained a tactical advantage over Frost who got his ass kicked a few minutes earlier, and it still wasn't enough.

The writers of Dragon Ball Super really should have planned the battle powers better. We have no real clue where does a nobody like Cabba stands in comparison to Super Buu. It's not logical he was placed over Frost and Magetta, with his low performance. I get it that they were forced to write about a Universe 6 Saiyan, because Toriyama had brought him into the story, but the gap between the former two and the untransformed Cabba was enormous. And why did he transferred? *$$$* to sell toys. *Facepalm*

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:50 am

I think, at least, UI has been treated wonderfully. It's been a gradual, long way to where he is now.

It was introduced back in RoF, Goku in the anime was already trying to do it prior to the ToP, right after the Black arc.
-At the ToP, starts with Sign and then gets a brief glimpse of UI. The manga portrayed the briefness of it better than the anime, but that's just because of the nature of each medium. Like a beta test, a tasting of sorts, it is still off limits for him.

-Another arc lands, and UI is still unattainable, he has no clue how to get there, not even after Broly put him against the wall (this reminds that not that long ago somebody said on another thread that Goku had UI vs Broly and stacked SSB on top of it, based on that grey glimpse when he turned SSB :clap: :clap: you do need talent to interpret things so badly).

-The Moro arc has Goku failing miserably a few times before he gets the chance to learn the technique. And he keeps on failing, he only unlocks Sign, but the failures continues: he cannot keep his mind at ease when the technique isn't enough so he makes a mess out of it. Finally, he learns how to use UI at will and it's tremendous. When things get muddy, he loses his focus but in the end there's a glimpse of that giant projection of his that saves the day.

-Next arc hits, and with UI under his belt, he learns that there's a long way to go to master it. He's a toddler with it, Granola shows to him the weakspots of it. He spends 90% of the arc doing it "wrong", his mind not being here nor there, but also using it on his other forms. He actually does quite good with UI and SSB against U7's strongest. The FP of UI is not as sharp as it could be due to his own inner conflicts in regards of how to use it, and ends up going his own route and getting the hang of it: he develops his own, true, unique Ultra Instinct, and he defeats Gas.
Things get muddy again, now due to the nature of the arc, not his fault for once, and again his giant projection saves the day(for a while), implying he's still far from the endgoal.

So, he went from a test ride, to not knowing what the hell that was and not having access to it, to using the beta game only, to the full game, to using the "full" game on every device available, to using it without changing his mindset, and there's still more to come. That's three arcs to learn it, and four to make it his own, and still not even close to it's full potential. And the concept was introduced 7 arcs ago. I'm loving it.