Anyone else get the impression that Super is on its last legs?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: Anyone else get the impression that Super is on its last legs?

Post by Skar » Thu May 26, 2022 7:50 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:40 pmToyotaro already making it clear he doesn't want the manga to go beyond EOZ
I recall Toyotaro only saying that the plan was for it to eventually connect to EoZ. I don't think Toyotaro could have it take place after EoZ if he wanted to since it was originally Toriyama's decision before Toyotaro worked on the DBS manga.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu May 26, 2022 7:57 pm

Yeah, I have a feeling that Super Hero (Or the next movie) will probably be the last animated story of Super and if there's another anime it will be set after EoZ, named differently and will ignore Toyotaro's manga.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Fri May 27, 2022 9:59 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:40 pm I feel as though with the introduction of Pan in the latest movie, with how the manga has already introduced Oob and even had him play a small but significant role in the climax of the Galatic Patrol Prisoner arc, and with Toyotaro already making it clear he doesn't want the manga to go beyond EOZ, it certainly feels like Super is reaching its grand finale. I would not be surprised if the next arc is the last arc of the manga and the longest.
Wait toyotaro said that recently? or do you mean Toriyama still doesnt want to go past EOZ

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Sat May 28, 2022 2:12 am

ZombieVito wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:57 pm Yeah, I have a feeling that Super Hero (Or the next movie) will probably be the last animated story of Super and if there's another anime it will be set after EoZ, named differently and will ignore Toyotaro's manga.
If they were wise enough to see that people are not following the franchise just because of Goku and Vegeta, they were to invest in other characters and tell what they've been up to in any given moment.

I wouldn't mind seeing a "Super" branded movie about how King Kai contacts his other students from Earth and asks them to stop Lord Slug who's casting havoc on the mushroom people race's planet to regain his youth with one of their magical instruments.
Or to see a "Super" branded movie that takes place in parallel to the Goku Black arc about Tien's origins and how/why did the Three Eyed People got to Earth (to escape a galactic warlord who wanted to enslave them for his amusement park 200 generations ago can be easily thought of, and that they had used their last resort to turn into pure bodyless energy that embedded their genetic makeup in the Humans who met them in the Northern continent, to increase the fusion's results' power to resist the galactic warlord with - besides the third eye - the ability to grow another pair of arms and to increase the power level exponentially on the expense of their life force as Tien does with his Kikoho). By the end of that movie, Tien can start thinking about starting a family to not let his lineage die out with him, as his relatives' fate is unknown to him.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 28, 2022 8:33 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:59 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:40 pm I feel as though with the introduction of Pan in the latest movie, with how the manga has already introduced Oob and even had him play a small but significant role in the climax of the Galatic Patrol Prisoner arc, and with Toyotaro already making it clear he doesn't want the manga to go beyond EOZ, it certainly feels like Super is reaching its grand finale. I would not be surprised if the next arc is the last arc of the manga and the longest.
Wait toyotaro said that recently? or do you mean Toriyama still doesnt want to go past EOZ
Toyotaro has only stated that the plan for the Super manga was to eventually reach EOZ.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat May 28, 2022 3:39 pm

They should do an anime that's all slice-of-life side stories set in the DB world. Episodes can range from comedic to action. That's an easy way to keep people interested without messing with the status quo of the main plot. A way to keep the wheels of the cart turning, so to speak. SDBH attempts that, but it being internet only and completely nonsensical at times is what hurts it. You also don't want to take the chance of people mixing up something like that with the main plot of the series.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sun May 29, 2022 9:22 pm

BWri wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:39 pm They should do an anime that's all slice-of-life side stories set in the DB world. Episodes can range from comedic to action. That's an easy way to keep people interested without messing with the status quo of the main plot.
The DBS anime did this kind of thing during the portion between the Future Trunks and Universe Survival arcs. Results were mixed, to say the least, and I already think that's a charitable way to put it.

Toriyama with all his understanding of his characters, tone, and gag artist expertise is the only person I feel is qualified to convincingly pull that off, but if I'm being candid? That's asking for a level of involvement I don't think he really wants.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Mon May 30, 2022 4:47 am

Yes, and I hope it'll end soon.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon May 30, 2022 10:07 am

Mr Baggins wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:22 pm
BWri wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:39 pm They should do an anime that's all slice-of-life side stories set in the DB world. Episodes can range from comedic to action. That's an easy way to keep people interested without messing with the status quo of the main plot.
The DBS anime did this kind of thing during the portion between the Future Trunks and Universe Survival arcs. Results were mixed, to say the least, and I already think that's a charitable way to put it.

Toriyama with all his understanding of his characters, tone, and gag artist expertise is the only person I feel is qualified to convincingly pull that off, but if I'm being candid? That's asking for a level of involvement I don't think he really wants.
All they did was put like 7 filler episodes between the two main story arcs though? That's nothing strange or out of place for an anime series.

Besides, most people loved the Arale and Yamcha fillers.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Mon May 30, 2022 11:12 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:07 am

All they did was put like 7 filler episodes between the two main story arcs though? That's nothing strange or out of place for an anime series.

These episodes were Super's peak. I also have enjoyed the Watagash episodes. Gotta admit that I didn't like the Arale episode that much as it was infantile and not that funny to me; besides it's non-canonicity.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Mon May 30, 2022 12:50 pm

I have a theory on how Super is going to end.

Goku and the others will become powerful enough to worry the angels and/or the great priest, so the deities will decide that mere humans shouldn't be allowed to use godly powers. The great priest collects the super dragon balls and uses them to selectively erase the memories of everyone involved. Goku and the others are now as strong as they were at the end of Z, super saiyan blue isn't a thing anymore.

Cue the Dragon Ball GT opening music.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon May 30, 2022 12:54 pm

Geraldo wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:12 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:07 am

These episodes were Super's peak. I also have enjoyed the Watagash episodes. Gotta admit that I didn't like the Arale episode that much as it was infantile and not that funny to me; besides it's non-canonicity.
I mean, I wouldn't call them the peak of anything, since they are just filler in the end. But regardless we have to acknowledge that they were well liked. The Arale episode was liked for the Vegeta gags, for example, and the Watagash episodes were liked for the character writing of Videl, since she genuinely trusted Gohan and saw right through the actor's lies.

Meanwhile, ask a Naruto fan what their favourite filler episode is, they probably don't even know what to say. :lol: If anything DBS had some of the most liked filler in all anime.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Mon May 30, 2022 1:35 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:07 am All they did was put like 7 filler episodes between the two main story arcs though? That's nothing strange or out of place for an anime series.

Well, I'm not implying that. What I'm trying to get across is that those filler intermissions probably would give someone a pretty good idea of what to expect from a slice-of-life DB anime series. Whether it's commercially successful is anyone's guess.

As far as my own opinion goes: I have some serious problems with the baseball episode for its over-the-top characterization of Yamcha and a lot of its comedic beats. Even at its best, it doesn't feel very much like Toriyama's humor. Also, "epic memes, bro!" isn't funny to me. That episode was the best of the bunch.

If other folks find themselves enthused by the idea, more power to them. I wouldn't personally tune in.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon May 30, 2022 2:06 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:35 pm As far as my own opinion goes: I have some serious problems with the baseball episode for its over-the-top characterization of Yamcha and a lot of its comedic beats. Even at its best, it doesn't feel very much like Toriyama's humor. Also, "epic memes, bro!" isn't funny to me. That episode was the best of the bunch.

If other folks find themselves enthused by the idea, more power to them. I wouldn't personally tune in.
Those are my feelings as well.

As someone who found the DBS anime to be a consistent disappointment, especially when adapting Toriyama's outlines, I still can't agree that the filler is the best part.

I guess I can understand why some people like that stuff; it's self contained and light. It manages not to feel like a frantic mess of time crunch, too many cooks, and the struggle associated with the rest of the series. But even the better stuff from, say, the Dr. Slump episode is just callbacks or punchlines ripped from the much more entertaining Neko Majin.

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Mon May 30, 2022 3:25 pm

I feel like it's definitely on its way out. Which is a shame, because it's huge wasted potential so far. It's just been the Goku/Vegeta show for the entire thing, and I don't like that. Every arc has felt pretty much the same, and most of it was lackluster, in both the anime and manga.

I'm glad they're finally letting other characters have the main role in Super Hero, but it feels too little too late at this point.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:34 pm

nineko wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:50 pm I have a theory on how Super is going to end.

Goku and the others will become powerful enough to worry the angels and/or the great priest, so the deities will decide that mere humans shouldn't be allowed to use godly powers. The great priest collects the super dragon balls and uses them to selectively erase the memories of everyone involved. Goku and the others are now as strong as they were at the end of Z, super saiyan blue isn't a thing anymore.

Cue the Dragon Ball GT opening music.
This sure is a way to ruin your franchise.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:26 pm

That was easily the best part of the anime for me until they got to the Tournament of Power. I liked the Future Trunks arc but it fizzled out horribly. The 9 weeks of filler had some of the best content from the anime and was fairly consistent.
Sure, with Toriyama-san being the original creator, he knows his characters the best -- but, I wouldn't discount the writers of the anime. Some of the most compelling character work was done by them as opposed to Toriyama-san or Toyotaro. With Krillin, for instance, I'd much rather see a continuation of the Krillin we saw in the anime, whose PTSD was given a good spotlight over three episodes. Those 3 episodes, starting with the one in RoF and ending in his match with Goku did more for the character than Toriyama-san, his creator had since early DB. The only rotten part about Krillin in the anime was that all of that character development was somewhat undone so that the writers could once more stick to Toriyama-san's outline which continues Krillin's streak as a non-important jobber and victim. I think the writers could do even more with the other side characters, especially the more obscure ones from early DB, Z, and Super.

All that said, it does depend on the writers. Super did have a mixed bag of writers, I can agree with that. But if it's comedy and inconsequential, I can see them doing something fun.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:29 pm

I hope it ends soon.

Dragon Ball would be better off if it was just the occasional movie, OVA, or game. Ongoing has been a disaster.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:15 am

Peach wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:29 pm I hope it ends soon.

Dragon Ball would be better off if it was just the occasional movie, OVA, or game. Ongoing has been a disaster.
Dragonball is a disaster ongoning because the ones in charge are uncreative as hell. Based on what I've heard about the plot of the new movie current Toriyama and Toyotaro are now equal in my eyes in regards to storytelling both are awful. It says a lot when fans spitballing ideas for charcter development & etc is better than 90% of what Toriyama,Toyotaro, & Toei come up with. If you planned things out with all groups instead of every section (manga,anime,games) doing their own thing. Get competent writers/creatives/etc you can turn this franchise around, Dragonball is very simple yet the ones in charge treat it like its some insanely difficult thing.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:13 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:15 am
Peach wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:29 pm I hope it ends soon.

Dragonball is a disaster ongoning because the ones in charge are uncreative as hell. Based on what I've heard about the plot of the new movie current Toriyama and Toyotaro are now equal in my eyes in regards to storytelling both are awful. It says a lot when fans spitballing ideas for charcter development & etc is better than 90% of what Toriyama,Toyotaro, & Toei come up with. If you planned things out with all groups instead of every section (manga,anime,games) doing their own thing. Get competent writers/creatives/etc you can turn this franchise around, Dragonball is very simple yet the ones in charge treat it like its some insanely difficult thing.
Toriyama is fantastic.

I really enjoyed Yo Son Goku and his Friends Return, Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, and Broly - basically the stuff he wrote himself. It's all this other crap; Toei and Toyotaro adapting his ideas and stretching them out for all their worth that's terrible.