Anyone else get the impression that Super is on its last legs?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Anyone else get the impression that Super is on its last legs?

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:36 pm

Super Murjin wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:37 pmImagine them coming from the Super Dragon Balls? Each dragon spread across the multi-verse. That would be an epic arc.
They limit themselves. Zuno said that the Super Dragon Balls spread between Universe 6 and Universe 7 specifically. Four would come one Universe and three from the other one.

Still something I would like to see, though. Of course, not leaving aside the origins of these objects and an appearance from Zarama himself, so that things can be even more interesting.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:49 pm

Super Murjin wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:37 pm i don't want to see GT remade.

However, i would like a better creative story of the shadow dragons. Imagine them coming from the Super Dragon Balls? Each dragon spread across the multi-verse. That would be an epic arc.
Funnily enough, I would. I genuinely think a revisit of GT could potentially be awesome.. I just don't really trust the people currently heading the franchise that they would be capable of that.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:26 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:36 am Yeah, if the anime was coming back it would have by now.

Nothing factual about that phrase. The anime can come back whenever they want.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:50 pm

dva_raza wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:26 am
Dbzfan94 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:36 am Yeah, if the anime was coming back it would have by now.

Nothing factual about that phrase. The anime can come back whenever they want.
I don’t think it’s a stretch at this point to assume that DBS won’t be coming back as a TV series. I can’t think of any reason why they’d need to take such a long hiatus.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:51 am

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:50 pm I don’t think it’s a stretch at this point to assume that DBS won’t be coming back as a TV series.
Not a stretch to assume anything, I just don't get the affirmations that it won't ever come back because it didn't in some arbitrary time period people expected it for.
I can’t think of any reason why they’d need to take such a long hiatus.
Really? wanting to have more manga content before jumping in to adapt it sounds like one good reason to me. That way things can be produced better with more time ...also make films, which would be harder and messier to do once the anime is running.
Do you honestly think they'll pass on animating Ultra Ego? That would be weird lol.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:51 pm

dva_raza wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:51 am
WittyUsername wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:50 pm I don’t think it’s a stretch at this point to assume that DBS won’t be coming back as a TV series.
Not a stretch to assume anything, I just don't get the affirmations that it won't ever come back because it didn't in some arbitrary time period people expected it for.
I can’t think of any reason why they’d need to take such a long hiatus.
Really? wanting to have more manga content before jumping in to adapt it sounds like one good reason to me. That way things can be produced better with more time ...also make films, which would be harder and messier to do once the anime is running.
Do you honestly think they'll pass on animating Ultra Ego? That would be weird lol.
The anime isn’t based on the manga. Both the anime and the manga are based on outlines from Akira Toriyama. There’s no reason the anime would need to wait for the manga, when that was never a problem before.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:26 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:51 pm The anime isn’t based on the manga.

Uh.. what?

The anime is an adaptation of the manga.
Yes, that means it is 'based' on it.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:34 pm

dva_raza wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:26 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:51 pm The anime isn’t based on the manga.

Uh.. what?

The OG anime and DBZ were adaptations of the manga. That’s not the case with DBS. The anime was conceived as the main product, while the manga was a supplementary promotional thing. Why do you think the anime ended before the manga was even done with the Universe Survival arc? The anime was never bound by what the manga was doing. Toyatoro and Toei were each offering their own interpretations of Toriyama’s outlines.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:22 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:34 pm
dva_raza wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:26 pm

Uh.. what?

The OG anime and DBZ were adaptations of the manga. That’s not the case with DBS. The anime was conceived as the main product, while the manga was a supplementary promotional thing. Why do you think the anime ended before the manga was even done with the Universe Survival arc? The anime was never bound by what the manga was doing. Toyatoro and Toei were each offering their own interpretations of Toriyama’s outlines.
I didn’t know about Super..but that doesn’t really change the point. Regardless of what is adapted from what, my point is as long as there is material they’ve always made both anime and manga. So I see no reason to think they won't do the anime of this material (the outlines in this case). Because it didn’t happen in parallel timing to the manga is an empty one.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:32 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:40 pm I feel as though with the introduction of Pan in the latest movie, with how the manga has already introduced Oob and even had him play a small but significant role in the climax of the Galatic Patrol Prisoner arc, and with Toyotaro already making it clear he doesn't want the manga to go beyond EOZ, it certainly feels like Super is reaching its grand finale. I would not be surprised if the next arc is the last arc of the manga and the longest.
Wait has Toyotaro said that he doesn't want to go beyond EoZ?

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:07 pm

BagetaSama wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:32 pmWait has Toyotaro said that he doesn't want to go beyond EoZ?
I don't remember if Toyotaro said that but I'm not sure if the decision is up to him. Toriyama made it clear in multiple interviews why he chose this time period and why he isn't interested going past EoZ. It's been almost ten years of stories taking place before it so I think it's unlikely he's changing his mind.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:16 pm

Skar wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:07 pm
BagetaSama wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:32 pmWait has Toyotaro said that he doesn't want to go beyond EoZ?
I don't remember if Toyotaro said that but I'm not sure if the decision is up to him. Toriyama made it clear in multiple interviews why he chose this time period and why he isn't interested going past EoZ. It's been almost ten years of stories taking place before it so I think it's unlikely he's changing his mind.
I'm pretty sure it's been said the opposite by Toyotaro.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:24 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:16 pmI'm pretty sure it's been said the opposite by Toyotaro.
I think the only time Toyotaro mentioned EoZ was saying that the goal was to direct DBS to the original DBZ ending. That's nothing new or not already implied by Toriyama though. I recall the last time Toriyama mentioned EoZ was in the 2016 anniversary and still calling it the epilogue.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:18 pm

I mean if they go past EoZ, they have to make a whole new ending for the series, and the DBZ ending was really good.

hopjust602

Post by hopjust602 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:39 pm

I feel like Black Freeza will be the final arc. Super started right after his Golden form was introduced (in the movie), so it makes sense for it to end with his Black form and with him being finally defeated. Overall, the reveal of Freeza's return just screams "we're teasing the last arc"
After this, we might get anime Moro & Granolah & Frieza 3, and probably another movie.
After that, DB could either
1. Go on another decade+ hiatus, with OVAs and video games breaking the silence sometimes
2. Make a new series, going post-End of Z
By the one and only, hopjust602. :D

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:08 pm

hopjust602 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:39 pm I feel like Black Freeza will be the final arc. Super started right after his Golden form was introduced (in the movie), so it makes sense for it to end with his Black form and with him being finally defeated. Overall, the reveal of Freeza's return just screams "we're teasing the last arc"
After this, we might get anime Moro & Granolah & Frieza 3, and probably another movie.
1. Go on another decade+ hiatus, with OVAs and video games breaking the silence sometimes
I'm still thinking that Beerus will be the endcap, but maybe the Black Frieza arc (if there is one) will tie into a Goku vs. Beerus epilogue. Depending on Frieza's machinations, we could even go multiversal. It'll be interesting to see.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:54 pm

hopjust602 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:39 pm I feel like Black Freeza will be the final arc. Super started right after his Golden form was introduced (in the movie), so it makes sense for it to end with his Black form and with him being finally defeated. Overall, the reveal of Freeza's return just screams "we're teasing the last arc"
I don't really see why Black Freeza would be the end of everything? Especially since we've only scratched the surface with the angel/GoD hierarchy and the multiverse. The Moro arc expanded on it, but not that much.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:06 pm

BagetaSama wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:54 pm
I don't really see why Black Freeza would be the end of everything? Especially since we've only scratched the surface with the angel/GoD hierarchy and the multiverse. The Moro arc expanded on it, but not that much.
What more is there to expand on? They’ve already dedicated three separate arcs to some of the other universes and the divine hierarchy. What other untapped stories are begging to be told with the concept? A multiverse war?

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:36 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:06 pm
BagetaSama wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:54 pm
What more is there to expand on? They’ve already dedicated three separate arcs to some of the other universes and the divine hierarchy. What other untapped stories are begging to be told with the concept? A multiverse war?

1. multiverse war
2. planet Sadal arc
3. arc in which the antagonist will be the demon who killed the master and Jiren's parents (Universe 11 arc)
4. the Black Frieza arc
5. another tournament of universe arc
6. a rematch with Beerus arc

There are many so far unused ideas