Anyone else get the impression that Super is on its last legs?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Re: Anyone else get the impression that Super is on its last legs?

Post by Block88 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:11 pm

Might as well be and good
The show been nothing but a mess Tori doesn't give a shit about consistency and Toei/Toei aren't any better

PrinceVegetto
Beyond Newbie

Post by PrinceVegetto » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:47 pm

nineko wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:50 pm I have a theory on how Super is going to end.

Goku and the others will become powerful enough to worry the angels and/or the great priest, so the deities will decide that mere humans shouldn't be allowed to use godly powers. The great priest collects the super dragon balls and uses them to selectively erase the memories of everyone involved. Goku and the others are now as strong as they were at the end of Z, super saiyan blue isn't a thing anymore.

Cue the Dragon Ball GT opening music.
I'd be elated! :clap:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:19 pm

I dunno I would point out that its pretty blatantly obvious there isn't going to be anymore episodes of Super.

But then people on here get pissy so...

PrinceVegetto
Beyond Newbie

Post by PrinceVegetto » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:49 am

I think there have to be more episodes. They still have to adapt 2 huge arcs from the manga. I suspect an announcement will be made after the movie premieres next week about the future of the franchise. I believe we got confirmation shortly after Broly was released that another movie was in the works.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:15 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:19 pm I dunno I would point out that its pretty blatantly obvious there isn't going to be anymore episodes of Super.

Animation quality aside, if only the plots were not a long self-contradictory and worth liking. I, for the most part, was disappointed and a complaints stock regarding Dragon Ball Super. This wasn't what I hoped for back when it was announced in April 2015.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:00 am

WittyUsername wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:50 pm That’s definitely the impression I’m getting. Maybe I’m wrong, but I think anyone who’s hoping that they’ll keep the train going for a good while longer will be disappointed.
What gives you that impression? Manga sales, merch sales, and video game sales are all doing well, and they're about to release a new movie...from a business standpoint, Toei and Shueisha would be foolish to suddenly put an end to everything. I'll be surprised if we don't see Dragon Ball return to TV by the end of the year.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:19 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:00 am
WittyUsername wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:50 pm That’s definitely the impression I’m getting. Maybe I’m wrong, but I think anyone who’s hoping that they’ll keep the train going for a good while longer will be disappointed.
What gives you that impression? Manga sales, merch sales, and video game sales are all doing well, and they're about to release a new movie...from a business standpoint, Toei and Shueisha would be foolish to suddenly put an end to everything. I'll be surprised if we don't see Dragon Ball return to TV by the end of the year.
The anime has been off the air for four years, with no indication that it’s coming back, and the new movie takes place just one year before the epilogue in the manga. We’ve been really dry on content after Broly, and I don’t think the manga is going to go on indefinitely. It sure seems like we’re near the end of it. It doesn’t help that Nozawa is really getting up there in age.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:32 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:19 pm
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:00 am
The anime has been off the air for four years, with no indication that it’s coming back, and the new movie takes place just one year before the epilogue in the manga. We’ve been really dry on content after Broly, and I don’t think the manga is going to go on indefinitely. It sure seems like we’re near the end of it. It doesn’t help that Nozawa is really getting up there in age.
If Toei and Shueisha hop off the Dragon Ball gravy train I'll be shocked; It's possible, I just don't see it happening. At the end of the day they're a business, and even if Toriyama was no longer involved, they would continue with Toyo or another writer as long as the money kept coming in. As for Nozawa, she is getting older, but she has said she will continue voicing Goku for as long as she possibly can and has no plans to retire. It also appears they're setting the stage for the next generation to take over the series with possibly Uub taking the lead. My theory is Goku and Vegeta will develop full hakaishin and angel powers and take on mentor roles since they'll be forbidden from interfering with mortal affairs.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:03 am

I don't Super will return anytime soon but I don't think it depends on Nozawa. Harsh as it may sound, her possibly dying wouldn't mean the end of Goku. They'll simply get a new VA.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:32 am

Super with the team as its currently constructed i.e the writing/PR team is on its last legs. Change all of that and you can fix this series overnight. There needs to be a MAJOR, MAJOR reshuffling of the chain of command in this franchise. No one person is bigger than the brand even if they created it. Until figurative heads roll and certain terrible decision makers,writers,directors are selling DBZ pencils out of tin cups at Comiket, Super be a failure to the end. Toriyama should have only had a special thanks role or listed as executive producer in name only but somebody younger and talented need to be writing/ drawing this series ASAP.

Its funny how in regards to the game side of the franchise they make adjustments when failures happen. Notice Spike Chunsoft/Artdink havent been on a DB game since ther abysmal games. The same needs to happen with the manga/ movie side
if you release a trash arc or movie or you should be blacklisted from working on the franchise indefinetly. Dragonball room doesnt seem to cultivate talent. Which is why any talentless johnny come lately (Toyotaro, Kodama) can say "hey i read the manga as a kid can work on it?" and they get the keys to the freaking kingdom.

scratch that they did get rid of that one guy. But oh how i wish we could have him back animating to save the fandoms eyes from the N64 movie on June 11th.

the real superhero the movie needed :

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:01 pm

Masako can be replaced if need be. That's no excuse to not continue the show.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:41 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:01 pm Masako can be replaced if need be. That's no excuse to not continue the show.
While I hope it doesn't happen anytime soon, I'd agree. Goku's voice is so unique and iconic, I'm sure there are plenty of voice actors that can imitate it.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:23 pm

No. Not as long as it keeps making more and more money.

I always state this, "the internet is the smallest slice of Dragon Ball's fandom. It helps to touch grass."

The internet will be mad about something, meanwhile the franchise just made another million. 90% of DB's fans aren't on the internet talking about it. I showed my family pictures of the new Gohan and they went nuts. 'Didn't even care about who, how, and why. Dragon Ball's officially iconic and global.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:12 pm

Too much money involved and since Toriyama only needs to do outlines and some character sketches, the burden on him isn't particularly high enough to burn him out the way it did when he worked on the manga.

However I wouldn't be surprised if the anime came back post "Z" and just ignored the manga arcs that weren't animated and just said "Broly and Super Hero" were the major events from the TOP to the tournament with Uub and then they brought back the anime with a rebranding.

SquadronGOD
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SquadronGOD » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:33 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:15 am
Peach wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:29 pm I hope it ends soon.

Dragon Ball would be better off if it was just the occasional movie, OVA, or game. Ongoing has been a disaster.
Dragonball is a disaster ongoning because the ones in charge are uncreative as hell. Based on what I've heard about the plot of the new movie current Toriyama and Toyotaro are now equal in my eyes in regards to storytelling both are awful. It says a lot when fans spitballing ideas for charcter development & etc is better than 90% of what Toriyama,Toyotaro, & Toei come up with. If you planned things out with all groups instead of every section (manga,anime,games) doing their own thing. Get competent writers/creatives/etc you can turn this franchise around, Dragonball is very simple yet the ones in charge treat it like its some insanely difficult thing.
How are you blaming Toyo for the plot of the new movie?! Lol

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:46 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:47 am Didn’t we have this same conversation when ResF arc of super was happening :D

“Oh Dragonball is finished this is the end etc etc”

* 3 more arcs*

Even if Super ends, it doesn't mean Dragon Ball ends. It could be re branded at end of Dbz.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:28 am

SquadronGOD wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:33 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:15 am
Peach wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:29 pm I hope it ends soon.

Dragon Ball would be better off if it was just the occasional movie, OVA, or game. Ongoing has been a disaster.
Dragonball is a disaster ongoning because the ones in charge are uncreative as hell. Based on what I've heard about the plot of the new movie current Toriyama and Toyotaro are now equal in my eyes in regards to storytelling both are awful. It says a lot when fans spitballing ideas for charcter development & etc is better than 90% of what Toriyama,Toyotaro, & Toei come up with. If you planned things out with all groups instead of every section (manga,anime,games) doing their own thing. Get competent writers/creatives/etc you can turn this franchise around, Dragonball is very simple yet the ones in charge treat it like its some insanely difficult thing.
How are you blaming Toyo for the plot of the new movie?! Lol
Not blaming him at all idk how you got that. I’m saying current Toriyamas writing/creativity level is equal to Toyotaros now based off the new movie plot. Which is not a good thing

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:09 am

nineko wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:50 pm I have a theory on how Super is going to end.

Goku and the others will become powerful enough to worry the angels and/or the great priest, so the deities will decide that mere humans shouldn't be allowed to use godly powers. The great priest collects the super dragon balls and uses them to selectively erase the memories of everyone involved. Goku and the others are now as strong as they were at the end of Z, super saiyan blue isn't a thing anymore.

I'm necroing this post because this is pretty much exactly how I feel things are going to end.

Of course that would mean that Super was incredibly pointless. Almost as if it was made simply because a couple of movies made a shit ton of money.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:36 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:19 pm I dunno I would point out that its pretty blatantly obvious there isn't going to be anymore episodes of Super.

Yeah, if the anime was coming back it would have by now.

I said this as a joke in the past but I wouldn’t be surprised if they actually did this.

Super Murjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Murjin » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:37 pm

i don't want to see GT remade.

However, i would like a better creative story of the shadow dragons. Imagine them coming from the Super Dragon Balls? Each dragon spread across the multi-verse. That would be an epic arc.