Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:00 pm

Friday did 82% of last Friday about ¥5 million. Still about ¥2.42 billion.

Tomorrow One Piece Red releases. It's gonna be very big from the look of the things and is the most direct competition that Super Hero has had.

Super Hero is dropping theatres for the first time but the theatre count is only dropping from 373 to 333 so that's not bad at all but it'll probably lose a fair amount of showings to it.

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:13 pm

When you mention how much other films made that it is passing; where is the list of Dragon Ball films and how much they grossed?

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:42 pm

MuscleRobo wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:13 pm When you mention how much other films made that it is passing; where is the list of Dragon Ball films and how much they grossed?
Here and there, it's a bit awkward actually because it's not like Box Office Mojo and the figures when the older movies came out are more based on distribution income rather than gross.

Here's a link that has the top 10 though.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/anime ... -franchise

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:00 pm

Saturday only did 47.7% of last Saturday, a big drop this weekend then seemingly due to One Piece Red which from the looks of it its opening day is higher than Super Hero's first several days.

So that's probably about ¥5-6 million today. About ¥2.43 billion. Gonna likely miss ¥2.44 billion unless I've underestimated somewhere.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:06 pm

Sunday did 60.3% of last Sunday and the weekend as a whole did 54.5% of last weekend.

That should be a weekend of ¥14 million.

I have that as a total just shy of ¥2.44 billion.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:52 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:00 pm Saturday only did 47.7% of last Saturday, a big drop this weekend then seemingly due to One Piece Red which from the looks of it its opening day is higher than Super Hero's first several days.

So that's probably about ¥5-6 million today. About ¥2.43 billion. Gonna likely miss ¥2.44 billion unless I've underestimated somewhere.
One piece red completely obliterated new DB movie https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/ ... in-history and keep in mind this is only Tokyo premire, when the movie will release in all of japan (August 19th) this can go upto 60-70 Million start

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:19 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:52 am
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:00 pm Saturday only did 47.7% of last Saturday, a big drop this weekend then seemingly due to One Piece Red which from the looks of it its opening day is higher than Super Hero's first several days.

One piece red completely obliterated new DB movie https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/ ... in-history and keep in mind this is only Tokyo premire, when the movie will release in all of japan (August 19th) this can go upto 60-70 Million start
One Piece films are MAJOR events in Japan, primarily because they only happen once every few years. But with the incredible momentum from the anime adaption of the Wano arc and One Piece heading into the final saga in the manga, my guess is fans are consuming as much One Piece material as possible before the series ends.

That... and the film was marketed VERY well in Japan.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:29 am

Damn-near beat Super Hero’s overall gross in Japan with just its premiere. One Piece is a monster. Goes to show just how important it is to keep fans engaged with on-going material like the anime and weekly manga. Super Hero desperately needed something like that.

It remains to be seen how Super Hero does internationally. I’ve got this gut feeling that it won’t do anywhere near as well as Broly even with its wider release. I’m predicting $60-$80 million USD total.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:54 am

Yeah One Piece Red had a opening weekend of ¥2.25 billion. It's the second highest opening ever in Japan. Made more on 1 weekend than Super Hero did in 6 weekends.

It's probably gonna end up making 4+ times as much as it altogether.

Super Hero appears to be doing 50-52% of last Monday as of 8pm, that's gonna be like ¥4-5 million.

At this point it's only going to be making a few million each day, so I may not give daily updates anymore. I'll post the actuals when they're out and give updates here and there if there's something notable.

It's only about 8? 9? days until it started to roll out internationally too. Broly did make $90 million outside of Japan. This won't do that amount though. The good news if it even applies is that there's really nothing coming out now of any value for a good while so less competition if any.

The US release will be the one to watch, they've really expanded its release in comparison to Broly and if it doesn't perform well enough to justify that release they'll scale it back with the next one and I can't see this making $30 million in US like Broly did. I could see maybe $20 million but not $30 million.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:59 am

I'm just curious to see if Super Hero reaches the 3 billions or not in Japan, since that's what I expect from a DB movie. One Piece doing much more than DB is not surprising nowadays, just like both together not coming closer to Demon Slayer numbers isn't either.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:39 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:59 am I'm just curious to see if Super Hero reaches the 3 billions or not in Japan, since that's what I expect from a DB movie. One Piece doing much more than DB is not surprising nowadays, just like both together not coming closer to Demon Slayer numbers isn't either.
If One Piece was doing so much better than Dragon Ball then why is DB Number 1 in revenue and for Toei. Let’s be clear One Piece is not a international Anime like DB, One Piece can only do these numbers in Japan, DBSSH hasn’t even released in 2 of its biggest markets, where One Piece has, DBSSH will make more when all is said and done because DB can pull from other markets and One piece cannot. Its that simple

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:32 pm

KingSailem wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:39 pm One Piece can only do these numbers in Japan.
Yes, we're talking about Japan here.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:32 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:59 am I'm just curious to see if Super Hero reaches the 3 billions or not in Japan, since that's what I expect from a DB movie.
No chance of that unfortunately. It's probably at ¥2.44 billion with Monday and it's at less than ¥5 million a day.

There's Obon Festival coming up from this Saturday to Monday so it may have a similar or better weekend than the last one but realistically it's gonna be a crawl to ¥2.5 billion.

Aside from that the only other possible goal for it is to surpass Super Android 13's gross of ¥2.55 billion which is probably just out of range.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:14 pm

Actuals

Weekend - ¥18,136,930

Total - ¥2,442,861,650

A little more than I expected. I thought it'd be a bit shy of ¥2.44 billion. With Monday it should be around ¥2.447 billion.

Only requires a further ¥53 million to hit the ¥2.5 billion milestone which is probably safe. Surpassing Super Android 13? Maybe unlikely.

Battle of Gods had a ¥19 million weekend and then made an additional ¥70 million before the end. This may do a bit more because of Obon Festival but it could end around ¥2.52-2.53 billion would be my guess.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:18 pm

The daily grosses are a little higher than expected due to the upcoming Obon Festival so I'll keep the updates going through that.

Tuesday was the same as Monday about ¥4.3 million. Total about ¥2.45 billion.

It should pass Broly Second Coming this week.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:35 am

Toei Debuted Gear 5 immediately in film red after chapter 1045 ,but there is still no ultra instinct in movies. I think they knew this movie is terrible. Although Red getting some criticism because of too many songs but that didn't stop it to become box office hit.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:49 pm

Wednesday did 93.5% of last Wednesday so should be good for ¥7.5 million or so.

That should be just shy of ¥2.46 billion.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:05 am

Thursday should be about ¥4 million, did around two thirds of last Thursday so again should be at like ¥2.46 billion.

Unfortunately most other films today either stayed flat or increased significantly. Super Hero didn't because it is now losing theatres. It opened in around 370 and then last Friday dropped to 330. However today that's now dropped to 275 and tomorrow it's going to be down to 150.

A shame I suppose because Obon Festival is happening until Monday and it could have maybe seen a weekend increase but surely won't now. It's probably killed any chance of it surpassing Super Android 13's ¥2.55 billion but should still hit ¥2.5 billion as it's only ¥40ish million away.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:24 pm

KingSailem wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:39 pm
FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:59 am I'm just curious to see if Super Hero reaches the 3 billions or not in Japan, since that's what I expect from a DB movie. One Piece doing much more than DB is not surprising nowadays, just like both together not coming closer to Demon Slayer numbers isn't either.
If One Piece was doing so much better than Dragon Ball then why is DB Number 1 in revenue and for Toei. Let’s be clear One Piece is not a international Anime like DB, One Piece can only do these numbers in Japan, DBSSH hasn’t even released in 2 of its biggest markets, where One Piece has, DBSSH will make more when all is said and done because DB can pull from other markets and One piece cannot. Its that simple
That's why I tend to ignore this need for comparisons. Dragon Ball's just a different animal.

Hopefully, Toei and crew start taking advantage of Dragon Ball's foreign popularity after this film's western releases. This has been too long a wait for most of us.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:48 pm

Friday looks to be about ¥4 million. Around 83% of last Friday.

Theatre count further reducing to around 130ish theatres from tomorrow. Obon Festival is from tomorrow till Monday.