Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:22 pm

Right, he's the information that I could gather. This is for Broly (mostly) so is a means of comparison for after Super Hero releases.

Argentina - Opening weekend of $1.55 million. Sold 109,000 tickets on opening day, 196,000 after two days, 374,000 for the opening weekend and 540,000 in one week. Resurrection F sold 450,000 tickets total.

Australia - $950,000 opening weekend.

Brazil - Battle of Gods and Resurrection F made R$5 million total, the latter of which sold 332,000 tickets Broly did R$1.6 million on its opening day with 106,000 tickets sold. It had a opening weekend of $1.7 million. It sold 760,000 tickets in 8 days.

Chile - Broly sold 92,000 tickets on opening day. It made $1.7 million in 4 days. Battle of Gods made $1.35 million and Resurrection F made $1.39 million total.

Colombia - Broly made $1.5 million in 4 days. Battle of Gods made $1.17 million and Resurrection F made $0.8 million total.

Ecuador - Opening weekend of $1.3 million.

Mexico - Resurrection F made M$52.4 million ($3.4 million) across the Friday to Sunday weekend. It made about M$93 million in total. Broly made M$44.9 million ($2.35 million) on opening day Thursday. It had a opening weekend of $6.08 million and sold 2.3 million tickets.

Netherlands - $430,000 opening weekend.

Peru - Resurrection F sold 223,000 tickets in 5 days. Broly sold 250,000 tickets in 1 days. Opening weekend was $2.54 million. Battle of Gods made $1.84 million and Resurrection F made $2.04 million total.

UK - $1.12 million opening weekend.

So combined all those markets accounted for an opening of near $18 million. They are all opening for Super Hero this week along with plenty others.
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:41 pm It’s it fair to assume that Beast will be number one for the weekend?
It's certainly fair. Thar long range forecast I posted had the two with a similar opening weekend range but I'm sure Beast will do more.

Guts001

Post by Guts001 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:50 pm

https://deadline.com/2019/01/dragon-bal ... 202538734/

Seems the movie is heading for an opening of 13-15 million, surpassing even Beast. That's quite good, but I don't think it's going to achieve the same success as Broly which would be dissapointing considering broly opened to 1200 theatres compared to Super Hero's 3900 theatres.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:11 pm

I'd be plenty pleased enough with an opening like that to be honest.

I don't expect it will make $30 million but would hope for at least $20 million and would happily take $25 million.

Based on US tracking it was ahead of the last MHA movie but below JJK0.

CortoMaltese

Post by CortoMaltese » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:30 pm

Sadly i think current DB fans can't appreciate a movie were Goku and Vegeta aren't the Heroes.
If the movie flop, we'll lost a major opportunity to have some creativity.....

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:53 am

CortoMaltese wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:30 pm Sadly i think current DB fans can't appreciate a movie were Goku and Vegeta aren't the Heroes.
If the movie flop, we'll lost a major opportunity to have some creativity.....

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:33 am

I don't think that the lack of Goku/Vegeta is the issue here. I have been trying so hard to tell people that the CGI is turning people off and it keeps falling on deaf ears. I have literally had 5 different guys at work tell me that they have no interest in seeing the movie in theatres because of the CGI. All my casual friends that were hyped for Broly keep asking me why the animation looks like that.

I do of course have a bias because I don't like the new look, but this is going far beyond my opinion here. 5 people at work, who most are a little more hardcore, and 4 casual friends of mine do not want to see this film because of the CGI. This was a massive mistake for the series, and I do believe it is the #1 factor in it under performing in the box office

After seeing the film, I will say that for the look they are going for, it wasn't really all that horrible although I wouldn't want it again. But they could have avoided all of this controversy by not going this route.

Also...... The marketing for this film is horrible too! They literally have a fortnite event for Dragon Ball and none of the characters from Super Hero are playable?.... No Gohan, No Piccolo, No Gammas?????? This could have been a great way to promote the movie, but it wasn't really promoting the new movie itself, rather just standard Dragon Ball Super TV anime.

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:01 am

Majin Man 101 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:33 am I don't think that the lack of Goku/Vegeta is the issue here. I have been trying so hard to tell people that the CGI is turning people off and it keeps falling on deaf ears. I have literally had 5 different guys at work tell me that they have no interest in seeing the movie in theatres because of the CGI. All my casual friends that were hyped for Broly keep asking me why the animation looks like that.

I do of course have a bias because I don't like the new look, but this is going far beyond my opinion here. 5 people at work, who most are a little more hardcore, and 4 casual friends of mine do not want to see this film because of the CGI. This was a massive mistake for the series, and I do believe it is the #1 factor in it under performing in the box office

After seeing the film, I will say that for the look they are going for, it wasn't really all that horrible although I wouldn't want it again. But they could have avoided all of this controversy by not going this route.

Also...... The marketing for this film is horrible too! They literally have a fortnite event for Dragon Ball and none of the characters from Super Hero are playable?.... No Gohan, No Piccolo, No Gammas?????? This could have been a great way to promote the movie, but it wasn't really promoting the new movie itself, rather just standard Dragon Ball Super TV anime.
The CGI look isn’t bad at all, Toei tried something new and for that I’m cool with it. The problem with fans is there always whining about something, If it wasn’t the CGI they would still find something to whine about i.e. the marketing. The movie will make more money than BOG and RF I’m certain so how is that underperforming? Broly had 3 movies before DBS, a cult following, Goku, Vegeta, Gogeta, Freeza, Saiyan backstory lol come on man. Imagine a One Piece film without Luffy or the other people. A Naruto movie without Naruto, Sasuke or Kakaishi. The only thing that matters to companies is the Final number, they don’t care about Regions, Country’s or anything else,

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:50 am

KingSailem wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:01 am The CGI look isn’t bad at all, Toei tried something new and for that I’m cool with it. The problem with fans is there always whining about something, If it wasn’t the CGI they would still find something to whine about i.e. the marketing. The movie will make more money than BOG and RF I’m certain so how is that underperforming? Broly had 3 movies before DBS, a cult following, Goku, Vegeta, Gogeta, Freeza, Saiyan backstory lol come on man. Imagine a One Piece film without Luffy or the other people. A Naruto movie without Naruto, Sasuke or Kakaishi. The only thing that matters to companies is the Final number, they don’t care about Regions, Country’s or anything else,
wrong company cares about domestic box office numbers,when a franchise movie earns less domestically its a sign that franchise is running out of steam or didnt popular enough anymore so even though broly movie was a massive success it was not good revenue wise domestically check this out -Why domestic box office is more important https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comm ... n_foreign/. I highly recomends you to check this out, as of I am writing this One piece Red already made 56 million in japan(domestic market) and thats a huge success because tomorrow is the nationwide release.

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:55 am

I went to a cinema in UK yesterday. Saw a guy standing in front of a ticket machine and watching Super Hero trailer. I heard from his conversation that he was surprised that there is a Dragon Ball movie. It is very sad the guy is absolutely interested in the movie, but he did not know the existence of the movie unless going to a cinema

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:30 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:50 am
KingSailem wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:01 am The CGI look isn’t bad at all, Toei tried something new and for that I’m cool with it. The problem with fans is there always whining about something, If it wasn’t the CGI they would still find something to whine about i.e. the marketing. The movie will make more money than BOG and RF I’m certain so how is that underperforming? Broly had 3 movies before DBS, a cult following, Goku, Vegeta, Gogeta, Freeza, Saiyan backstory lol come on man. Imagine a One Piece film without Luffy or the other people. A Naruto movie without Naruto, Sasuke or Kakaishi. The only thing that matters to companies is the Final number, they don’t care about Regions, Country’s or anything else,
wrong company cares about domestic box office numbers,when a franchise movie earns less domestically its a sign that franchise is running out of steam or didnt popular enough anymore so even though broly movie was a massive success it was not good revenue wise domestically check this out -Why domestic box office is more important https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comm ... n_foreign/. I highly recomends you to check this out, as of I am writing this One piece Red already made 56 million in japan(domestic market) and thats a huge success because tomorrow is the nationwide release.
I never said they don’t care about domestic box office my friend, I said they don’t care about whining constantly about marketing etc etc, they care about the final numbers, they released DBSSH international because it can generate more money to it’s overall total. That’s what every studio does, you would have a point if DBSSH was only released domestically. I don’t know about you I would want domestic and international.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:40 am

KingSailem wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:01 am I never said they don’t care about domestic box office my friend, I said they don’t care about whining constantly about marketing etc etc, they care about the final numbers, they released DBSSH international because it can generate more money to it’s overall total. That’s what every studio does, you would have a point if DBSSH was only released domestically. I don’t know about you I would want domestic and international.
I also care about domestic and international but the marketing for this movie is terrible, DB is a Multi Billion dollar property and one of the highest grossing media franchise in history that is equal with batman and spiderman it deserve much much better, and do you know how much disney spends for marketing and promotion? End game marketing, promotion campaign costed more than 200 million dollars, Every movie needs major marketing push, marketing and promotion is one of the key factors that make a movie hugely successful, but of course the movie itself has to be atleast decent.

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:50 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:40 am
KingSailem wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:01 am I never said they don’t care about domestic box office my friend, I said they don’t care about whining constantly about marketing etc etc, they care about the final numbers, they released DBSSH international because it can generate more money to it’s overall total. That’s what every studio does, you would have a point if DBSSH was only released domestically. I don’t know about you I would want domestic and international.
I also care about domestic and international but the marketing for this movie is terrible, DB is a Multi Billion dollar property and one of the highest grossing media franchise in history that is equal with batman and spiderman it deserve much much better, and do you know how much disney spends for marketing and promotion? End game marketing, promotion campaign costed more than 200 million dollars, Every movie needs major marketing push, marketing and promotion is one of the key factors that make a movie hugely successful, but of course the movie itself has to be atleast decent.
I agree Sony/ Crunchyroll dropped the ball but what can you do.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:51 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:45 pm It is unfortunate, France was Broly's 5th biggest market. At least it's getting a release.
And that was with late release and limited showings, right?

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:02 pm

I think France did get the movie a couple months later than most yeah. Released in March where others got it in January.

---

The movie begins Thursday previews in US today starting from 5pm. I think it's supposedly the favourite to top the weekend.

Based on tracking the previews could account for like $3 million on Thursday. An opening weekend of $10 million to up to $15 million is expected. Anything below would be a disappointment for sure.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:51 pm

I just saw MasakoX review and he also said the theater he went was pretty empty...

I just can't believe how hard they dropped the ball with this movie. :(

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:43 pm

Empty theatres doesn't inspire much confidence in the international box office saving this movie. Don't remember hearing about it happening for Super Broly, or even Resurrection F despite its limited run. This movie could easily fall below the latter's $61,768,190 total, although hopefully it crosses $50 million to at least beat Battle of Gods worldwide.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:59 pm

I think people could be jumping the gun a little here. Masako is from UK right? Well I am too and sure when I went to see Broly near every seat was full, maybe the busiest I've seen a movie whereas when I went to Super Hero there were only maybe 15 people in there tops.

But Broly was only shown in 188 theatres and had a pretty limited amount of showings at that.

Super Hero is being released in 300 theatres and from what I can see there's considerably more showings. So it will be spread out more because people have more options.

Then also the fact that Broly in UK only made $1.31 million in total...it didn't exactly make anything significant to begin with. Resurrection F only made $280,000 in UK, virtually nothing.

At least in US it is the favourite to be the #1 movie. That's a feat in itself. These estimates just released.

http://www.boxofficereport.com/predicti ... 20818.html

1. Super Hero - $15.3 million
2. Beast - $11 million
3. Bullet Train - $7.1 million

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:04 pm

Thats good news! :D

I'll eat all my words if that means the movie is going to do well, I want it to do as good as possible!

Fingers crossed. :thumbup:

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:40 am

For what it's worth, at my local theater the dubbed RPX showing for August 18th had as many as 55 seats reserved (could have exceeded that, I can't see the seating chart any longer), seems pretty good for higher ticket prices in a small area! However, the standard subtitled screening barely had any seats reserved (5 or 7?) and the subbed RPX was canned...

This is really disappointing to me, especially since in this area subbed tends to do better than dubbed for anime movies.

Fans of the original Japanese, regardless of what you might happen to think about the film itself, please put your money where your mouth is on this one. If you're on the fence at all about going to see it, please just do it and try to drag friends along. For US fans, this could seriously be the last opportunity we have to see a Dragon Ball movie subtitled in theaters. Echoing some of the sentiment for poor marketing upthread, it almost seems too convenient that they opted to finally provide a subtitled option for:

1) Arguably, the least well-received Dragon Ball movie so far out of the new films

2) A film featuring characters other than Goku or Vegeta as the main focus,

3) A film with a highly divisive visual style,

And, perhaps most glaringly,

4) A film that's been heavily leaked/bootlegged in Japanese already

Seems like the perfect storm of deterrents for all corporate entities involved to go, "Welp, no one went to see Dragon Ball subbed, guess we won't do it again!"

Opening to so many more theaters doesn't really help matters either in this instance, I foresee many empty subbed showings sadly... I'm beyond tired of things like this happening when it comes to Dragon Ball in the US, whether it comes to home video releases, localization practices, perceived fan tastes etc... If anyone has had any positive experiences with subbed showings, I would love to hear them! At the bare minimum, Dragon Ball shouldn't be treated any differently than other anime franchises, the "cartoon from 2000s Toonami" sentiment needs to wither away already.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:46 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:02 pm I think France did get the movie a couple months later than most yeah. Released in March where others got it in January.

---

The movie begins Thursday previews in US today starting from 5pm. I think it's supposedly the favourite to top the weekend.

Based on tracking the previews could account for like $3 million on Thursday. An opening weekend of $10 million to up to $15 million is expected. Anything below would be a disappointment for sure.
And they're getting Super Hero in October...