Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:38 am

As of 7pm Super Hero 187,000 tickets sold.

Broly was at 78,000 at the same point but on a Friday. On the Saturday at the same point it was at 177,000.

So Super Heroes first day is a bit better than Broly's second day.

It looks like Resurrection F which also opened on a Saturday ended its first day at 227,000. That appears to not be including independent theatres in which case Super Hero is at 190,000 so far by 8:30pm. This does not look like it will go that as high as RoF.

It definitely is holding its own compared to the last two but I have a feeling it won't reach the same heights in the end. Above BoG and below RoF is quite possible.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:27 am

The day is essentially over in Japan. Ended at 209,000 which is better than Broly's first Saturday (though it was its second day) which did 193,000.

Broly made about ¥385 million on that Saturday so based on that Super Hero looks to have done about ¥420 million or so, give or take a few tens of million.

Being as Sunday should do worse then as a very early guess this looks like it could have an opening weekend around ¥750-800 million. Could do a bit more.

It is not going to open or probably finish as high as Resurrection F (¥960 million). Which to me is not that surprising. Could lean closer to Battle of Gods money really. We'll see.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:06 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:09 pm a little over 1 million domestically in Japan (as much as the last sailor moon movie did) & thats being generous

The fact this reheated leftovers of the android saga made on a PS4 developer kit will turn even a small profit is an actual miracle the Vatican should seriously consider recognizing officially.

Hello my friend, what did I tell you ?
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:27 am The day is essentially over in Japan. Ended at 209,000 which is better than Broly's first Saturday (though it was its second day) which did 193,000.

Broly made about ¥385 million on that Saturday so based on that Super Hero looks to have done about ¥420 million or so, give or take a few tens of million.

Being as Sunday should do worse then as a very early guess this looks like it could have an opening weekend around ¥750-800 million. Could do a bit more.

It is not going to open or probably finish as high as Resurrection F (¥960 million). Which to me is not that surprising. Could lean closer to Battle of Gods money really. We'll see.
Like i thought the real final numbers are known the day after and the movie really ended at 225594 which is very close to ROF

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:53 pm

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:06 pmLike i thought the real final numbers are known the day after and the movie really ended at 225594 which is very close to ROF
I've been told the numbers that Resurrection F don't really correlate so well to Super Hero. From the sound of it if both movie are shown at 100,000 then in reality it is Resurrection F that did better.

Broly is more comparable. It'll all become a lot easier to judge once official numbers come in.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:34 am

As of 1pm on day 2 it is currently down about 18% from the same point on day 1.

It's probably going to fall about 15-20% today. Based on Broly numbers that would still be around ¥750 million for the 2 weekend. So ¥700-800 million looks like the range for now.

Battle of Gods opened at $685 million. Super Hero opening at 10% more than that but then with no holidays to take advantage of....not unrealistic that this becomes the lowest grossing of the recent movies.

We'll see.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:31 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:34 am Battle of Gods opened at $685 million. Super Hero opening at 10% more than that but then with no holidays to take advantage of....not unrealistic that this becomes the lowest grossing of the recent movies
I had no idea Battle Of Gods did that well. :P

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:08 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:31 am
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:34 am Battle of Gods opened at $685 million. Super Hero opening at 10% more than that but then with no holidays to take advantage of....not unrealistic that this becomes the lowest grossing of the recent movies
I had no idea Battle Of Gods did that well. :P
He meant yen. Still a man can dream of a world where Dragon Ball made that kind of money. A $685 opening would be a sure sign of a 2 Billion+ movie.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:32 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:08 am He meant yen. Still a man can dream of a world where Dragon Ball made that kind of money. A $685 opening would be a sure sign of a 2 Billion+ movie.
I mean Dragon Ball as a franchise is already one of the highest grossing media franchise in history that is equal with batman and spiderman, to me that is enough but if a DB movie made that kind of money that will be icing on the cake for sure.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:30 am

Today as of 9pm it's at 145,000. This time yesterday it was at 204,000....it's a big drop.

It's a 29% drop when 15-20% was expected. Resurrection F dropped 12%. It's actually not even the #1 movie for the day because Top Gun is.

It looks like according to Mimorin for the weekend without independent theatres being included Super Hero is gonna have sold about 357,000 tickets in its first 2 days. Broly did 516,000 in its first 3 days.

Broly opened to ¥1,050 million. Apply the same math to Super Hero and it's ¥730 million.

Might be more if the average ticket price works out higher for it but then could also be lower because of another reason that's too complicated to explain.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:27 am

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:06 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:09 pm a little over 1 million domestically in Japan (as much as the last sailor moon movie did) & thats being generous

The fact this reheated leftovers of the android saga made on a PS4 developer kit will turn even a small profit is an actual miracle the Vatican should seriously consider recognizing officially.

Hello my friend, what did I tell you ?
Ummm uhh :think: I forgot to add a Zero after that 1 :lol:

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:55 am

This film definitely seems like a test run, seeing just what Toei can get away with and still turn a profit. Not saying the movie is bad. It actually seems very good. But this film is noticeably, but not entirely, different from the usual formula.

And the numbers still look good for what it was.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:31 pm

None official estimates for the weekend are .... ¥675 million. That is not that good. It's below Battle of Gods opening actually.

An estimated total range of ¥2.7-3.1 billion has been given. Again will most likely fall below Battle of Gods.

There's a chance that proper estimates will be higher, they were for the last two but yeah probably going to be a disappointment this time around.

The experiment with using CGI and focusing on side characters didn't appear to work out. Gonna need to count on an international release to drive it up I think.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:48 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:31 pmGonna need to count on an international release to drive it up I think.
Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see how much of a boost this movie can get from international ticket sales. Keep in mind Battle of Gods didn't get a theatrical run in many countries, other than of course Japan, the US, Canada and Latin America there was only Spain, Italy, South Korea, Hong Kong, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines. Compare that to Super Broly, which also got screened in the UK, Ireland, France, the Netherlands, United Arab Emirates, Portugal, Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam and China. Super Hero will hopefully be released in all of those territories, which may give it the push it needs to not become the lowest grossing of the new movies.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:20 pm

I think it'll beat Rof but its not touching Broly and I think the lesson they will learn from this is no cgi, no side character focus

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:36 pm

This movie’s getting a North American release in August, right? Come to think of it, that might actually be to its benefit. August is looking like a pretty lifeless month for movies this year.

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:03 pm

I don't know what covid restrictions are like in Japan right now but I imagine that quite a few people are being cautious and are not going to theatres, this is probably a huge factor that needs to be taken into account.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:09 pm

SSJ YUSUKE wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:03 pm I don't know what covid restrictions are like in Japan right now but I imagine that quite a few people are being cautious and are not going to theatres, this is probably a huge factor that needs to be taken into account.
As well as Broly was shown in almost 100 more theatres. COVID could have something to do with that, too.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:45 pm

SSJ YUSUKE wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:03 pm I don't know what covid restrictions are like in Japan right now but I imagine that quite a few people are being cautious and are not going to theatres, this is probably a huge factor that needs to be taken into account.
Idk it didn’t stop them from watching that JJK film :D

Nevaeh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nevaeh » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:05 pm

Obviously I know jack shit about the Japanese and their sensibilities but I think not having an anime is the key reason why this movie won't perform up to par

The hype coming off the anime was palpable. You had people filling out stadiums for the finale for fucks sake :lol:

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:09 am

Looks like the actual gross is in

Super Hero opening weekend - ¥670 million with roughly 500,000 tickets sold.

Yeah that's the lowest opening yet. Disappointing, it's almost ¥300 million lower than Resurrection F.

Movie won't hit ¥3 billion it seems.