Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Post by Skar » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:52 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:44 pm4. "Dragon Ball Z: The Return of Cooler" (9th/March 7, 1992/2.72 billion yen)

5. "Dragon Ball Z: Super Android 13!" (10th/July 11, 1992/2.55 billion yen)
Wow it's pretty crazy these two were the highest grossing of the original films. I always assumed the first Broly film ranked #1 based on his popularity. I'm not sure how accurate it is but Wikipedia has the home video sales. Return of Cooler, Super Android 13, and Lord Slug also sold more than Broly the LSSJ.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:57 pm

Skar wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:52 pmWow it's pretty crazy these two were the highest grossing of the original films. I always assumed the first Broly film ranked #1 based on his popularity.
Well also notice that Fusion Reborn which is the second most popular of the 90's movies and introduced Gogeta isn't even in the top 10.

I think the 90's movies success was dependent on the popularity of the anime at the time. The two most successful both came out in 1992. With the exception of the Broly movie then the next two were on either side of that in late 1991 and early 1993.

Similar time frame as the whole Androids saga really.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:12 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:57 pmWell also notice that Fusion Reborn which is the second most popular of the 90's movies and introduced Gogeta isn't even in the top 10.

I think the 90's movies success was dependent on the popularity of the anime at the time. The two most successful both came out in 1992. With the exception of the Broly movie then the next two were on either side of that in late 1991 and early 1993.

Similar time frame as the whole Androids saga really.
Oh that makes sense! Thanks for providing sources too. It's a little frustrating when you hear claims and no idea where they originated. It's helpful that you share sources in your posts :thumbup:.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:06 am

Oh I have all links backlogged from last time with Broly lol.

Anyway, the day ain't over yet in Japan it's 7:48pm but it's slowing down quickly enough that I can't see any difference being made now.

Said yesterday Resurrection F and Broly increased 24% and 31%. Super Hero has increased...by 1%....

Which should be the same gross then. If last weekend it made ¥670,000,000 from 357,000 tickets sold on Mimorin then this weekend it selling 154,000 tickets should mean a second weekend gross of ¥289 million. That's down 57%.

The lowest opening movie having the largest second weekend drop...yeah that's not good is it?

Total should be ¥1.22 billion. Getting to a point now that even ¥2.5 billion could be a stretch.

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:18 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:06 am Oh I have all links backlogged from last time with Broly lol.

Anyway, the day ain't over yet in Japan it's 7:48pm but it's slowing down quickly enough that I can't see any difference being made now.

Said yesterday Resurrection F and Broly increased 24% and 31%. Super Hero has increased...by 1%....

Which should be the same gross then. If last weekend it made ¥670,000,000 from 357,000 tickets sold on Mimorin then this weekend it selling 154,000 tickets should mean a second weekend gross of ¥289 million. That's down 57%.

The lowest opening movie having the largest second weekend drop...yeah that's not good is it?

Total should be ¥1.22 billion. Getting to a point now that even ¥2.5 billion could be a stretch.
[/quote
So are you not including the independent numbers? Are is that something completely unrelated?

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:25 am

KingSailem wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:18 amSo are you not including the independent numbers? Are is that something completely unrelated?
No I'm not including that, without the independents I know Mimorin covers around 70% of all theatres in Japan. If you include the independents then because its unclear what portion they make up it messes up any calculations.

So everything I go off is without independents to keep it fair.

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:27 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:25 am
KingSailem wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:18 amSo are you not including the independent numbers, is that something completely unrelated?
No I'm not including that, without the independents I know Mimorin covers around 70% of all theatres in Japan. If you include the independents then because its unclear what portion they make up it messes up any calculations.

So everything I go off is without independents to keep it fair.
Ok, Thanks.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:05 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:06 am
Damn, this is disheartening.

Moreover, I checked the Dub Trailer views and it hasn't reached 1 mill even after 4 days which is no good for DB franchise.

I don't actually care for numbers outside of what this could tell the development team of how to handle the story from now on. The Goku and Vegetable show part 2 is almost a certainty now ....

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:52 am

If it's any consolation it did pick up a little late night steam and finished the day with an increase of about 4.4%.

It does seem like ¥300 million would be the best it could do though.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:31 am

Michsi wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:05 am
Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:06 am
Damn, this is disheartening.

Moreover, I checked the Dub Trailer views and it hasn't reached 1 mill even after 4 days which is no good for DB franchise.

I don't actually care for numbers outside of what this could tell the development team of how to handle the story from now on. The Goku and Vegetable show part 2 is almost a certainty now ....
If Toriyama, Toei and Toyotaro had actually put in the effort to competently write Piccolo and/or Gohan in the last decade, whether it be the anime, manga or movies, maybe more people would have been invested in seeing them as central characters in a story down the line. You can only rely on the goodwill some fans have for seeing their favourite characters being the centre of attention in the narrative after many years of sub-standard treatment for so long.

With the news of Toriyama initially writing DBSSH for Piccolo to be the sole protagonist until he was convinced by produces to include Gohan, and the underwhelming adverting for this film in Japan and internationally, I'm starting to think Toei did not have a lot of faith in Toriyama's general story concepts for this film and were just expecting the Dragon Ball brand name to carry the film to success. Looks like the film will underperform in Japan (at least based Toei's initial expectations), so it really is down to the international markets carrying this film to great financial success. But with the film already being leaked in full (and in acceptable quality with English subtitles), I have a horrible feeling it may even underperform internationally.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:21 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:31 am If Toriyama, Toei and Toyotaro had actually put in the effort to competently write Piccolo and/or Gohan in the last decade, whether it be the anime, manga or movies, maybe more people would have been invested in seeing them as central characters in a story down the line. You can only rely on the goodwill some fans have for seeing their favourite characters being the centre of attention in the narrative after many years of sub-standard treatment for so long.

With the news of Toriyama initially writing DBSSH for Piccolo to be the sole protagonist until he was convinced by produces to include Gohan, and the underwhelming adverting for this film in Japan and internationally, I'm starting to think Toei did not have a lot of faith in Toriyama's general story concepts for this film and were just expecting the Dragon Ball brand name to carry the film to success. Looks like the film will underperform in Japan (at least based Toei's initial expectations), so it really is down to the international markets carrying this film to great financial success. But with the film already being leaked in full (and in acceptable quality with English subtitles), I have a horrible feeling it may even underperform internationally.
I think the main problem is they truly dont know what to do with the characters anymore so thats why they are constantly relying on nostalgia baits,Toriyama could have come up with different kind of monster but he settled with CELL, Gohan again have to see piccolo going down for reaching new form , DB desperately needs new people and more new ideas.Not to mention Toriyama dont even remember there was a series called super, in his mind DB is over in 42nd volume. Anyway This movie will play in 2300 theaters(US) much bigger than Broly(1260), its a real shame Broly didnt get that treatment.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:41 am

What, where is it stated Piccolo was gonna be the only protagonist? And come on, the quality of what you're speaking of is not acceptable at all.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:17 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:41 am What, where is it stated Piccolo was gonna be the only protagonist? And come on, the quality of what you're speaking of is not acceptable at all.
That was said in the pamphlet whrere Toriyama said it was supposed to be completely piccolo movie but ioku convinced him about gohan

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:39 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:21 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:31 am If Toriyama, Toei and Toyotaro had actually put in the effort to competently write Piccolo and/or Gohan in the last decade, whether it be the anime, manga or movies, maybe more people would have been invested in seeing them as central characters in a story down the line. You can only rely on the goodwill some fans have for seeing their favourite characters being the centre of attention in the narrative after many years of sub-standard treatment for so long.

I think the main problem is they truly dont know what to do with the characters anymore so thats why they are constantly relying on nostalgia baits,Toriyama could have come up with different kind of monster but he settled with CELL, Gohan again have to see piccolo going down for reaching new form , DB desperately needs new people and more new ideas.Not to mention Toriyama dont even remember there was a series called super, in his mind DB is over in 42nd volume. Anyway This movie will play in 2300 theaters(US) much bigger than Broly(1260), its a real shame Broly didnt get that treatment.
Youtube level misinfomation on Kanzenshuu is really sad to see.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:50 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:39 am

Toriyama said in the pamphlet that he completely forgot about super and thats why the name sound repetitive

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:58 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:39 amYoutube level misinfomation on Kanzenshuu is really sad to see.
Toriyama might consider all of the series as "Dragon Ball" and forgot the anime makes a distinction like with Z and Super. It's kinda true he's only thinking of the original 42 volumes since Super all takes place within the last volume.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:01 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:50 am
Toriyama said in the pamphlet that he completely forgot about super and thats why the name sound repetitive
He forgot that the show was called Super. Not “Toriyama dont even remember there was a series called super, in his mind DB is over in 42nd volume”. To him, everything is just Dragon Ball.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:02 pm

My thing is if you're going to nostalgia bait with an old villain at least do it in a way that the fans of said villain would like. He went with his favorite form of Cell which is the least favorite of fans and turned him into a rage monster with no speaking lines. He could have made the final villain a giant grizzly bear and it would have given off the same effect. So he lost out on Cell fans and fans that would have wanted a new villain. I would have been hyped if he actually took the time to incorporate the old Cell/a new intelligent version or at least a new charismatic villain. People want to say that recycling an old villain is lazy, but taking an old villain design and turning it into a grunting dimwit is peak laziness. There is no unpleasant implications or vendettas, just snarling and mindless mouth slobber. I don't want to see Gohan and Piccolo basically fight a giant bear, just doesn't interest me at all. This isn't The Fox and the Hound, it's Dragon Ball, and he really dropped the ball where it counts when it comes to marketing. I'm not trying to be antagonistic towards you at all, I just get a bit peeved when people say that Cell Max is Cell, or Toriyama brought back CELL. If it was Cell I'd be a lot more into it than I am.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:12 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:50 am
We have Dragon Ball GT, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball Heroes, Dragon Ball Minus, Dragon Ball Fighterz and Dragon Ball Legends etc, so i don't blame him for forgetting the name Dragon Ball Super, but people makes it seem like he don't care or he doesn't know that they was a anime series.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:46 pm

Extreme_kai wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:02 pm My thing is if you're going to nostalgia bait with an old villain at least do it in a way that the fans of said villain would like. He went with his favorite form of Cell which is the least favorite of fans and turned him into a rage monster with no speaking lines. He could have made the final villain a giant grizzly bear and it would have given off the same effect. So he lost out on Cell fans and fans that would have wanted a new villain. I would have been hyped if he actually took the time to incorporate the old Cell/a new intelligent version or at least a new charismatic villain. People want to say that recycling an old villain is lazy, but taking an old villain design and turning it into a grunting dimwit is peak laziness. There is no unpleasant implications or vendettas, just snarling and mindless mouth slobber. I don't want to see Gohan and Piccolo basically fight a giant bear, just doesn't interest me at all. This isn't The Fox and the Hound, it's Dragon Ball, and he really dropped the ball where it counts when it comes to marketing. I'm not trying to be antagonistic towards you at all, I just get a bit peeved when people say that Cell Max is Cell, or Toriyama brought back CELL. If it was Cell I'd be a lot more into it than I am.
I wholeheartedly agree with you on this topic, dont know why but I think there is some altercations going on between Toriyama's vision of DB and what the stuff wants, take for example in this movie he decided to go with piccolo as a main character but ioku convinced him to include gohan and he had to listen to it although I am not saying that could have turned the movie more awesome in any shape or form.