Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nonono

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Post by nonono » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:46 am

i think it makes sense if the movie is doing less than Broly

Broly was focused on the 3 most popular characters and was released when all the fandom was hype with the Super anime

right now there is no anime, the movie is about Gohan and Piccolo and in CGI (a lot of fans dont like that)
so still pretty good results imo

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:48 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:40 pm Now that's a bit unfortunate considering that Super Hero does have a much wider release in UK. The thing there though is that Broly ended with £1 million so 85% of its earning came from that first weekend because there wasn't much in the way of showings afterwards. That may not be the case for Super Hero to such an extent so it may not drop off so fast and may catch up some ground, maybe.
In Ireland Super Broly was in theatres for three weeks, although towards the end it was only late night screenings. I can't recall if it was the same for the UK, but I imagine it would have been the same there. I went to one of the later screenings for a second viewing and there were still a few people in the theatre, so Super Hero may be able to squeeze in a bit more money there. Don't see it crossing $1 million again though.

Currently I can only find screenings up to this Thursday, by which point it would have been in Irish cinemas for a week, although some screenings could be announced closer to that day.
nonono wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:46 am i think it makes sense if the movie is doing less than Broly

Broly was focused on the 3 most popular characters and was released when all the fandom was hype with the Super anime

right now there is no anime, the movie is about Gohan and Piccolo and in CGI (a lot of fans dont like that)
so still pretty good results imo
In Japan I was hoping Super Hero would surpass Super Android 13! and Return of Cooler, which is now almost certainly off the cards. But I agree, Super Hero had a lot going against it in comparison to Super Broly in addition to significantly less marketing, so internationally its doing well in spite of all that. It does go to show that Dragon Ball sells itself because the fans in countries where its most popular like the US are so dedicated.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:58 am

The box office numbers for Superhero being down in the UK compared to Broly, despite Superhero having more screening in general being available, don't surprise me at all. There was ZERO advertising for the movie in the UK and the screening I went to on opening day for the film in London was nearly empty.
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:10 pm Japan’s numbers are actually embarrassing now that the US beat it in just the opening weekend. Hopefully Toei or whoever the marketing team is learn their lesson for the next film.
The only thing that Toei will learn from this is that Goku and Vegeta are the main draw and will decide to never have another movie where the supporting cast is the central focus.

I hate to sound cynical and somewhat bitter, but I think Toei set this movie up to fail in Japan and is banking on the international audience to boost the box office numbers.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:05 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:58 am The only thing that Toei will learn from this is that Goku and Vegeta are the main draw and will decide to never have another movie where the supporting cast is the central focus.

I hate to sound cynical and somewhat bitter, but I think Toei set this movie up to fail in Japan and is banking on the international audience to boost the box office numbers.
I just dont understand Toei at all, They wanted to show a CGI movie to the whole world but without zero thought put in about how to market and promote a movie in big scale. For example any marvel movie beside having a huge budget they spend 150-200 million for marketing alone. I am not saying Toei need to spend that kind of money but atleast they could have tried to shell out 40-50 million for marketing.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:30 am

A few more markets and information revealed.

"In other Sony news, a combination of Sony Pictures Releasing International and Crunchyroll markets got their first look at Toei Animation’s Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero this session with $12M from 29 overseas. Of that, the Sony-owned Crunchyroll clocked $535K in Australia and $117K in New Zealand. SPRI markets contributed $11.2M with No. 1s across the board in Latin America. Mexico launched to $3.7M, and Argentina did $1.5M. In Europe, the UK grossed $800K, and the Netherlands added $150K. The Middle East delivered $420K as a region. The worldwide weekend in those overseas markets and North America was $32M.

Super Hero originally opened in June in Japan, grossing about $18M. Upcoming key markets include Germany, Spain, Korea, Italy and France."

Surprisingly not a peep from Brazil which is a big market.

Netherlands at $150,000 is down a lot from Broly's $430,000.

In Vietnam Broly opened to $16,000 but Super Hero has opened to $130,0000.

Can't comment about the Middle East.

So yeah except for US and Vietnam it's down everywhere. Not really too surprised but you do have to take into account that the exchange rate is worse than it was for Broly so in local currency it's not as far off as it seems.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:45 am

Here's the numbers for Portugal, the first weekend.

Super Hero
Gross - 79.424,10 euros
Spectators - 13.434
Screenings - 94

for comparison Broly.

Broly
Gross - 73.270,01 euros
Spectators - 16.164
Screenings - 61

More money but less people with a more widespread distribution.
However we are in the summer. A lot of people would prefer to go to the beach.

Let's see how this advances.

Source: Website of the Institute of Cinema and Audiovisual. https://www.ica-ip.pt/pt/downloads/box-office/

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:10 am

Good find. Broly opened to $83,000 and finished with $154,000 there.

The USD and Euro are 1:1 right now so that's $79,000 in Portugal then too.

Altogether I've accounted for $47.8 million of the $50.1 million it's estimated to have earned.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:26 am

LightBing wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:45 am Here's the numbers for Portugal, the first weekend.

Super Hero
Gross - 79.424,10 euros
Spectators - 13.434
Screenings - 94

for comparison Broly.

Broly
Gross - 73.270,01 euros
Spectators - 16.164
Screenings - 61

More money but less people with a more widespread distribution.
However we are in the summer. A lot of people would prefer to go to the beach.

Let's see how this advances.

Source: Website of the Institute of Cinema and Audiovisual. https://www.ica-ip.pt/pt/downloads/box-office/
Just a small correction those 16.164 from Broly are actually from opening week although the gross you mentioned is from opening weekend. Broly's spectators for opening weeked were actually 13.405.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:10 pm

Gafonso6 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:26 am Just a small correction those 16.164 from Broly are actually from opening week although the gross you mentioned is from opening weekend. Broly's spectators for opening weeked were actually 13.405.
Right you are. I had the weekend and week open, must have copied the wrong one.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:50 pm

In Brazil it opened to R$2.5 million which is $520,000. Less than a third of Broly. It's also less than Resurrection F though in local currency it made more so again this is where the exchange rate is hurting it.

In Mexico it did MX$78 million. In terms of admissions it was on par with Resurrection F and a bit above Battle of Gods.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:13 pm

Japan actual as of Sunday - ¥2,492,580,150

Extremely close to ¥2.5 billion though it's not clear if it's actually in theatres anymore. If it is it will surpass that figure though.

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:14 pm

Did Super Hero also get weekend number 1 in countries other than Japan and North America?

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:20 pm

Apparently it had "No. 1s across the board in Latin America."

Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Argentina etc probably all #1.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:47 pm

The Numbers is saying that the US weekend actual is really $21,053,798. Up by about $950,000.

What that gives us is...

US - $21.05 million
Japan - $18.5 million
Rest of World - $12 million (still an estimate)

Total - $51.55 million.

More than Battle of Gods.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:54 pm

I am a bit gobsmacked, it is doing so well in the US.
Goddamn crushing the JP box orfice in one weekend. That is pretty insane!
Perhaps it will go beyond RoF afterall?
Let us see how this developes.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:06 pm

dbgtFO wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:54 pmPerhaps it will go beyond RoF afterall?
Worldwide? That's already a certainty. Resurrection F made about $65 million worldwide. So it's only $14 million away.

If it can follow MHA World Heroes Mission and Jujutsu Kaisen's pattern in US then Super Hero could finish with $40 million. It should pass Resurrection F just with the money it will make in US from here out.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:46 am

Having the movie be #1 at the box office is pretty neat for a niche film.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:34 am

I am very happy that the movie is doing very well globally but Sadly it failed where it mattered. In Japan. We already know Toei is ran by out of touch old dudes and so when they see Japan's pitiful numbers they won't even look globally. I feel this movie is already dead tbh

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:50 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:34 am I am very happy that the movie is doing very well globally but Sadly it failed where it mattered. In Japan. We already know Toei is ran by out of touch old dudes and so when they see Japan's pitiful numbers they won't even look globally. I feel this movie is already dead tbh
Maybe 10 years ago but I feel it's the opposite now. Look at how much money they're dumping into Saint Seiya which is a much larger property overseas than in JP. I went to a wonder festival in Japan and they were joking they should just ship the myth cloths from the factory to overseas stores.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:13 am

MuscleRobo wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:50 am Maybe 10 years ago but I feel it's the opposite now. Look at how much money they're dumping into Saint Seiya which is a much larger property overseas than in JP. I went to a wonder festival in Japan and they were joking they should just ship the myth cloths from the factory to overseas stores.
Thats good to hear although saint seiya cant even touch dragon ball. DB is one of the highest grossing media franchise in history(worth 30 billion) THE biggest Shonen jump property, Thats why it is very depressing. DB deserve FAR FAR FAR more respect in my opinion.